Missouri-Kansas City
Options

Dress Shopping Indecision

I'm planning to start looking for my dress later this month, and I can't decide where to go.  We went to Mia's Bridal in Olathe and David's Bridal in Overland Park when my sister got married a few years ago.  I was really unimpressed with Mia's.  David's was ok, but I've heard so many horror stories about them that I'm a little leery now.  What good/bad experiences have you had with KC area dress shops? 

Thanks!

Re: Dress Shopping Indecision

• Options
    edited December 2011

I've been to Ida's and had a really good experience there.  I also went to David's and was surprised at the service but I did go a weekday and they told me that weekdays are better.   I also heard the David's Bridal up north has better customer service but I've never gone there.  I also went to Gown Gallery and their service was ok, I was the first appointment of the day and I don't think they were quite ready.  Happy Shopping!!

Maiya

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually just bought my dress from Mia's and ordered my BM's dresses. I had a wonderful experience and they were very easy to work with! My consultant, Andrea, did a great job listening to what I did and didn't want in a dress and also showed me BM's dresses that looked great with my dress.

I also went to David's Bridal, and was far from impressed. You can't beat their prices, but my consultant kept pulling dresses with styles I said I didn't want. I told her I didn't want anything too heavy or poofy...the first dress she put me in made me look like Little Bo Peep! :)

I've heard great things about Ida's too though!

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also got my dress and BM dresses at Mia's.  We worked with Jo, and she was fantastic!  The service at Bridal Extraordinaire was good, they really listened to what I want, I just couldn't find exactly what I wanted there.  Gown Gallery, I wasn't impressed with.  They seemed like they were very important, too important to spend time helping me find what I wanted.  I've always heard horror stories about David's Bridal, never experienced them.  Good Luck!  HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Gown Gallery and have had a great  experience so far...they just moved to a new downtown loft location too!
    I dd, however, base my choice of bridal salons to visit on what designers they carried, as I was looking for a specific one.
    I've also heard rave revues about Bridal Extraordinaire in Shawnee.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.  One more question: are the prices pretty comparable at many of the non-David's stores?  I know it really comes down to which dress you pick, but I hate to go look at any of these other places if they're out of my price range (I'd like to keep the dress under $800-$1000).

• Options
    AJG456AJG456 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Ida's and we're getting the bridesmaid dresses there as well.  I really loved my appointment, my consultant was great, and they've been great since my dress came in.  Very accommodating.  I would highly recommend going there!  
  • Options
    sarabeth14sarabeth14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ordered my dress from Ida's, and we're getting the bridesmaids dresses there, too. Their customer service was great, and they've always been very helpful. I had two consultants the first time I went there. I also went to Mia's and Bridal Extraordinare. Bridal Extraordinare had great customer service as well, and they put you in a private room to try on dresses, which was nice. Mia's customer service wasn't as good as the other two, and they were very busy when I went there. I went to the David's Bridal in Lenexa for bridesmaids' dresses but not my dress, and I had a good experience there. My budget was about the same as yours, and all three of the stores had a lot in that price range. I think I saw on Nolte's website that their dresses are more expensive, so I didn't go there. Most stores will ask you what your budget is and try to stick to that, though.
  • Options
    prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to Mia's and David's Bridal (the Lenexa store). Haven't bought a dress yet.

My appointment at Mia's was so-so. I was by myself, and even though I brought in pictures of the dresses I liked she still just sent me to the racks to pick some. I was kind of miffed when I realized some of the dresses I brought in pictures of were on the racks! And she didn't even comment or help me look for the specific ones. It was kind of annoying. I felt like she didn't really want to focus on me. Although, she did help me in and out of the dresses, and she picked me one which is my favorite from that store. If I buy that dress, I'll probably buy it from them... but idk, I wasn't as wow'd with the service as I would have hoped.

At DB, the service was eh. The girl helping me was also helping another bride, who ended up buying her dress shortly after my party arrived, and it kind of stranded us with no help while they took care of her. Understandable I suppose. But she was helpful for the rest of the time. She did pull some dresses that I didn't like, but also pulled one or two that I ADORED, and that night I was sort of all over the place so I don't blame her not being able to single in on exactly what I wanted.! Oh, and I thought it was a bit disorganized (couldn't find some dresses that I wanted to try even though they were apparently there). Not a bad experience.  Actually, on par with my Mia's experience I would say.  Also, I was SUPER impressed with the quality of the dress I found at DB; more than I expected.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• Options
    QueenofQuirkyQueenofQuirky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, so I got my dress at American Bridal & Tuxedo in Mission. (It's behind Lucky's) They carry a lot of the big lines and are very reasonable.

Brace yourself - I got a Maggie Sottero for $200 on sale off the rack!!! I couldn't believe it.

Here are my pictures:http://www.flickr.com/photos/queenofquirky/sets/72157622963368942/

• Options
    edited December 2011

I'm glad there are so many good options in town!  I thought I'd heard/read somewhere that Ida's didn't carry anything below $1000, though.  Is that true, or am I totally misremembering that?

• Options
    sarabeth14sarabeth14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's not true about Ida's not having anything under $1000. Mine was $875. I don't remember the prices of other dresses I tried on there (the one I ended up getting was the clear winner), but I think they were somewhere around the same range.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also went to Ida's and my budget was between 800 - 1000 and they had quite a few for me to try on.  The one I liked the best only cost $599, which I was surprised about.

Maiya
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks again, guys!  I made appointments at Ida's and David's, so hopefully I'll find my dress soon!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    All of the dresses I tried on at Mia's were under $1,000.
  • Options
    momo09momo09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Gown Gallery and Amore Bridal.  I got my dress at the Gown Gallery and had a great experience there.  I loved my consultant Gwen.  E-mail me for more details at triplm [at] hotmail [dot] com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards