Maryland-Baltimore

Catering by Uptown

Hey brides!
 I'm going to look at Waverly Mansion this weekend, and I see that they are one of the venues that exclusively uses Catering by Uptown. We are having a little under 200 people (hoping to cut it down even more), so our budget is pretty tight. Of course Catering by Uptown won't give me any prices without sitting down with them, but I don't want to waste my time as I know they are a pretty expensive company. Has anyone used them recently? Is it even possible to have them do anything under $100 a plate?

Re: Catering by Uptown

• I sat with them back in July/August and they were really expensive compared to our budget. We had already looked at Hunt Valley Catering ($50-60 per person) so I asked if they were in that range. She literally laughed at me and said that I would have to change my priorities (like get married on a weekday instead of Saturday) because no catering would be that low.  I believe she said they were $90-100. I remember telling her our total budget for 130 people was $16,000 and she said that would barely cover our catering, alcohol, and wait staff fees.

I would call and just say "can you tell me if you're over $x per plate so I don't waste either of our time". I've done that with caterers since then and they've been more happy to discuss when I ask that way. Hope that helps!

PS- When I told her Hunt Valley's range, she hounded me for details, looked them up on her computer while we were supposed to be meeting about Catering by Uptown's venues, and said they must have bad food if they're that cheap.
  • I booked my wedding venue and catering with Catering By Uptown and I believe I am paying maybe $88 a plate. My wedding is in May 2014. I booked my wedding with about 90 people at the Anchor Inn for a little over $10k. We worked with Joanna Campbell and told her where we wanted to be with our price and she really worked with us to make things work out. Our wedding is more on the casual side with a BBQ buffet and a French fry bar. Their price even includes a cake from Sugarbaker and a cocktail hour with 3 hors devours.
  • I used Catering by Uptown and felt that they were willing to work on budget.  You may be able to talk with them about your needs and how to get to $100 pp.  Guests loved the food and we loved that they included linens and a wedding cake within pricing.
  • RM1982RM1982 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I'm doing Waverly Mansion. They were very friendly at the meeting and really helped work with me. It was more expensive than I anticipated, but not too much more. And they worked with me to shift things around to make it affordable. For example, we were able to get more food options on the bufffet when I told them that we have a cake being baked for us by a friend.

Now, we are doing Sunday lunch time, so that helped make it affordable.

Hunt Valley is the most affordable caterer I've seen in the area. I saw them at an open house and they were very friendly and enthusiastic, but I found them rather overwhelming. I didn't feel comfortable with the personality of the woman I met. 

I'm really happy with the Waverly Mansion/Catering by Uptown. It's nice to have it all in one :) I've spoken to two of the people there and they've both been friendly, helpful, and enthusiastic.
  • Have you tried Chef's Expressions?  Our catering manager with CE is Melanie.  She could design a menu which might be a bit higher than the $50-60 pp but would be able to do it well below $100 pp.  They include linens, tables, chairs, etc. (basic linens but colors are available, basic tables and chairs)  in their price quote, and anything different (ballroom chairs, chair colors, linen upgrades) are extra cost, but certainly not necessary.  They have great food (we already did our tasting) and will really work with you to customize the menu, i.e. 'add more sauce, not as spicy, more peppercorn'

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards