April 2012 Weddings
Options

Long photog vent...advice please

ok ladies, so I need honest input.

I booked my photog for my wedding back in March 2011 for my April 2012 wedding.  I met with several photogs but narrowed it to P1 and P2 for our purposes.  I loved P1'swork, but we ultimately decided to go with P2 because he was 1) someone my fiance really seemed to click with and 2) because my fiance was worried that P1 worked alone and if something happened, there was no real backup.

We booked the photog, who was incredibly available to us at all hours before we booked and really tried to work with us.  As time wore on I became more educated in the difference between good and bad photogs quality and what I liked and didn't like in photos.  I clearly now wish I had gone with P1.

So now fast forward to October.  We still hadn't heard anything from him, despite his saying when we signed that he would contact us for our engagement shoot.  My fiance called and his minion tell us he isn't available to speak to but they could book our shoot. I work in PA and live in NJ, so days are not really an option (I can't tell the judge that I have e pics and cant be in court that day), so they book us for a night....Halloween Night....to do pics in front of a backdrop similar to that of high school portraits.............

I had my fiance call back and tell them under no circumstances is that going to work out and that was NOT what he told us when we signed.  His minion say he is still not available but will give him the message.  Days pass.  My fiance calls back and they schedule us for November 12 at 10 am, before he goes to a bridal show.  I call back to ask the photog specifics, like where are the pics being done, can we do this idea we had about outside a theater, etc.  His minion again say he is not available, he'll call us.  Fiance calls 3 days later.  We end up every other day that week and even the morning of the shoot to check on those questions.  No one answers.

We arrive that morning at his studio.  He is loading his vehicle for the show.  We mention our idea and his response "Oh what a cool idea, but I only have time to shoot you in the park around the corner.  You really need permission from the theater first.  What theater is even near here?  You know ::laughs:: you really should have done your homework before today."  I lost it and mentioned how we have called multiple times and gotten no response.  He tells me that his company has left me SEVERAL voicemails that week in response.

ok, missing one call, maybe 2 i get.  But this was over 2 weeks with no response from him at all beside from when me or my fiance got someone on the phone.  I feel he was lying to cover his ass because I was angry at him.  We even went inside to make sure it was the right number he allegedly called.  The number was correct.

The obvious problem is, we paid a $700 deposit, which although not the end of the world, isn't really a small amount of money to lose.  I spoke to p1 last night and he is available on my date. 

Also, as an aside, on here, I mentioned his name and a knottie emailed me to warn me that she cancelled with them also for similar issues as well as finding out that he was passing off another photogs work as his own, which terrified me.

My gut is saying run....anyone feel differently?
How I unwind? The FI and I watch old TV shows Photobucket 187image 124image 48image 15image RSVP Date March 31 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Long photog vent...advice please

• Options
    Oh man yeah that definitely does suck. It's a shame he is being such a tool. He is being very unprofessional and I think you have every right to cancel with him. Is there anyone over his head you can speak to? You said he mentioned his "company" but I guess that could just be his minion? Threaten to contact the BBB, write an ugly review on Angie's List/TK, etc and see if that gets his attention. 

I doubt you'll be able to get your deposit back, but I would definitely want to go with another photographer. The photos of your wedding are ones you will cherish and look at forever. It sounds like I would not want this guy anywhere near me on my wedding day. Not only that, but you will continue to have to contact him, deal with his constant "unavailable" status, talk with his minion, etc, all several weeks prior and after the wedding. 

It would be a tough decision, but I think I would seriously consider going to the other photographer. This guy sounds like a total jerk and I would not want to deal with him. Yeah, it's $700 wasted, but you have to weigh that against what you will lose by staying with him (sanity, peace of mind, a good time working w/him, etc) versus the monetary value of staying with him. Only you and your FI can decide that though. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    I would definitely go with another photographer based on what you told me and on other people's bad experiences.  It seems like photographers are notoriously flakey.  (See my post where I just vented about mine!)

You mention having to be in court, do you work in the legal field where you or an attorney you work for could write to the photographer after you cancel with them, to ask about getting your money back due to their failure to meet the terms of your agreement on their end?  It might have a little more oomph and scare them into sending you a check if it was coming from a lawyer on official law firm letterhead.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    run.

And, I would email him and ask for the deposit back. you won't get it all, but you might get half.  I would mention that you were extremely unhappy with his service but hope that he will be professional and return your deposit.  Also, leave bad online reviews for him, call the BBB, etc. so other brides don't have to go through this!
  • Options
    Good idea about the BBB!  I once got money back from a vendor who initially brushed me off, after I filed a complaint with the BBB.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    As much as it would suck to not get the deposit back, remember you have to spend your entire day with this guy and these are pictures you have to live with for the rest of your life. It may be worth it to go with the other photographer, even if you lose the deposit.
    mikeandtine.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Run.  Even if you don't get a dime back, run.  If he's this flaky about the e-pics, I can only imagine how bad your situation could be with wedding day pictures, the ones that *really* count.

And meganb's idea of writing a legal letter is good stuff.  Sometimes scare tactics can go a long ways.  He sounds like a total d-bag though.  Sorry you have to deal with this.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks girls.  I posted this on my local board too, and everyone is unanimous.  I think I just needed reassurance after my mom nearing had heart failure when I mentioned the idea.  You ladies are the best :)
    How I unwind? The FI and I watch old TV shows Photobucket 187image 124image 48image 15image RSVP Date March 31 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    RUN.  I completely agree with everyone else.  If pictures of your wedding day did not come out, you would regret that $700.  It is worth it.  At this point you also may not feel comfortable with the photographer and that may come across in photos.  Good luck!  At least p1 is still available!
    ~~Sabrina~~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i agree with PP's. RUN! I had a similar experience with not liking my original photog that we booked. I wasn't happy with his work, or his lack of communication. We took our E-pics with him back in August and still have not received our album. We have since booked my first choice, and MUCH more talented photographer, had our 2nd round of e-pics with her, AND got our disc back already. We lost our deposit, but in the end its worth it, because our wedding pics will be perfect :)
    April 2012 March Siggy Challenge - Honeymoon!! Costa Rica
    Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 158 Invited
    image 129 Are Party Rockin!!
    image 23 Will be missing out!
    image 6 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    As a april 2011 bride and someone going through photographer drama right now i say go with your guy go with P1!  700 is a big amount to loose but at the same time you dont need that stress on your wedding day!
  • Options
    I have never heard of a photog dictacting where you should take your engagement pictures! That is crazy. So sorry you had to deal with this... I hope you can get your deposit back, but if not, I guess $700 to avoid even more stress and a possibly irreversible wedding day disaster is money well spent. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards