Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Choice of two entrees at the buffet - opinions needed!

So I am really torn...we are serving a buffet at the wedding reception, and are not allowed to do a tasting. :( 

We can chose one of several chicken entrees, and we have decided on one of them...but then we are stuck...either sirloin strip, pork loin, or possibleysalmon?

Would most guests expect/prefer a choice of chicken or beef, or would it be better to offer chicken or fish?  There are numerous salads beig offered for non-meat eaters...and verggies and potatos and rolls and whatnot.

BTW at the rehearsal the night before - we plan to serve a (plated) choice of chicken parm. with side of pasta, or sirloin steak tips with mashed.  30 people coming to the weddng (1/3 of the total) will also be at the rehearsal and I was worried about serving something too similar two nites in a row.

help! not fun making these make or break calls! And no way to taste the food in advance!

TIA ladies. :)

opinions?

Re: Choice of two entrees at the buffet - opinions needed!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Why are you not allowed to do a tasting? 

• Options
    SandaPandaSandaPanda member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They said that a tasting does not come with selection of buffet menu vs. plated option.
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011
    I would ask if I could do a tasting even if I had to pay. I really want to taste what i am serving before serving it.

I would stick with chicken and beef because I think most people like either one of those.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In order of personal preference... sirloin, pork, then salmon. I just don't like salmon. However, I do like chicken and would just order that instead if those were the 2 options.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would be wary of a caterer who doesn't let you taste their food.

I agree that you should do beef and chicken.  Fish is pretty polarizing (you either love it or hate it, IMO) so you'd probably be better off with beef.  I hate fish, and even the smell of it nauseates me.
  • Options
    peanutty2peanutty2 member
    edited December 2011
    i'd say chicken and beef or chicken and salmon.  i know too many people who don't eat pork.  you know your guests better though.  i suppose between the salmon and the beef.... i'd probably pick the salmon.  i'm offering a chicken dish and eggplant rollatini for my buffet entrees (along with a pasta, veggies, potatos, etc.). 
  • Options
    katetwkatetw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd go with chicken and beef.... a lot of people don't eat pork or salmon.
  • Options
    bltatabltata member
    edited December 2011
    I would go with beef.  Pork would be my second choice, and I find that fish doesn't always hold up with in buffet situations as it often dries out and leaves a fishy smell in the air.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_choice-of-two-entrees-buffet-opinions-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:ac73bab7-28da-4ba5-824b-cf3585e93d08Post:71a98009-1f04-4a50-be12-c48818d45b5b">Re: Choice of two entrees at the buffet - opinions needed!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd go with chicken and beef.... a lot of people don't eat pork or salmon.
    Posted by katetw[/QUOTE]

This is my thought as well.  If it was a different type of fish it would be more neutral, but there are a lot of people who love fish but hate salmon (or refuse to try it).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think the beef is the safest bet. I tend to get sick from pork for some reason, and I don't like fish much (salmon is too fishy for me), so my opinion could be skewed.... ;-P

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jess9802jess9802 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm always surprised to see on these boards that people don't like salmon. I live in the PNW so it's the most common type of fish to see offered on a menu. Anyway, If the beef is good, I'd much rather have that at a wedding than chicken. I've had too many bad mass-cooked chicken dishes. The chicken parm. dish might not be so bad at the RD, though.
  • Options
    jenajjthrjenajjthr member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Although fish can be served really well, I've found that fish in a buffet is not a good choice.  I would go beef first, then pork. 
  • Options
    sabatronsabatron member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chicken and beef are generally the safest choices, with an easy fish like salmon being third safest.  Pork would not go over well with guests that are Muslim, Jewish, finicky, or that just really like pigs (me).
    Scrabble high score: 531
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards