Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

hair/makeup challenge number 4! 1890s-1910s "Gibson Girl" hair for today's lady

Ok, even though no one participated in the last challenge, I thought we could give the hair/makeup challenge another go anyway.

Past challenges (you're welcome to keep trying these!  Please post your results!):
Challenge 1 (1940s victory rolls/pinup)
Challenge 2 (1960s bouffant/mod makeup)
Challenge 3 (1920s/30s silent movie/finger waves)

Let's get thisfourth challenge started.  We're going way back to the Victorian era this time.  Victorian ladies were all about femininity and natural looks.  They all had very long hair to work with, and usually wore it up--adorning it with ribbons, flowers, decorative hair combs, etc.  "Gibson girl" hair was piled high ontop the head in a loos bun, with soft whispy ringlets surrounding the face, decending from the temples, or trailing down the nape of the neck was also popular.  A natural face was paramount, so the lighter the makeup, the better. 

As always, I could use your help, too!  If you see something great online, post it! 

You can start posting pics whenever you want.

Tutorials:
Honestly, this doesnt seem too difficult.  I'm going to back comb my hair, hang it upside down, hair spray it a bit (get as much volume as possible), and then wrap it at my crown in a loose bun.  I'll pull some tendrils loose around my temples, maybe curl them and that should be good.

for extra volume, you can even tuck a bumpit onto the top of your head, and arrange your messy hair with loose bun atop that. 

Here are some more text tutorials:
http://www.beauty-and-the-bath.com/gibson-girl-style-updo.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Gibson-Girl-Bun

overview:
inspiration photos:

inspiration--

By the way, this challenge is clearly for girls with at least shoulder length hair.  If any of you can think of a fun mock gibson girl hairstyle for girls with shorter hair, please post your ideas!

Our Wedding Website
Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: hair/makeup challenge number 4! 1890s-1910s "Gibson Girl" hair for today's lady

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards