Not Engaged Yet
Options

New Texas law requires students to pick career path in 8th grade.

2»

Re: New Texas law requires students to pick career path in 8th grade.

• Options
    I feel like this could be a really bad idea. It might not be bad if they did it a little later, like 10th or 11th grade, and had very generalized specification (more like electives). I'm still in college and have zero clue about what I want to do and I've changed my mind so many times since I got to college, much less since 8th grade. 8th grade seems too young and it has the possibility to pigeon hole a person into something that might not be the best thing for them. 

I support a free elective system where the school offers a bunch of electives in a bunch of different fields, like psychology or law or mechanics, that students are free to take as it interests them. If not that, then maybe a co-op system where students could try out different occupations and at least narrow down their choices. I think forcing them to go on a certain track will turn out poorly for the schools and do nothing to the drop-out rate. 

I also agree with everyone about requiring classes about actual life skills, such as how to do taxes or take out a loan. Even just a class on how to be financially responsible would have been awesome. I would have taken that class in a heart beat and it would have been so helpful.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    This isn't a new concept overall, just a new law in an area that isn't used to it.

In Harry Potter they were encouraged to choose their career path around the same age. Apparently they do that in England, as I found out after some google searching back when I first read the series.

I just don't know how that would fly here, especially as a law. It sounds so final. Like, I'm sure they can change their minds at some point (Hermione did) but making it a law for children to choose their career paths sounds so... ominous.

I hope they are able to make it beneficial to the children. At 13 I had no idea what my career options were. Every possible job seemed so black and white. Like with law. I didn't know there were a bazillion different types of lawyers. I thought you studied how to do the things the lawyers on Law & Order did and that was it. Not because I thought everything I see on tv is accurate, but because at 13 how would I know all the details unless someone told me?
    Are they being thorough with these kids, letting them know what they can do with their career paths?
  • Options
    @Simply Fated - I love that you brought Harry Potter into this discussion. I'm 100% sure that if I had been told to choose a career path in 8th grade I would've pulled a Hermione and tried to take everything!

• Options
    I also believe they were picking careers at 15-16 - it was in the O.W.L. year for sure.

(Yes, I'm pedantic.)
  • Options
    @KeptInStitches - In the 3rd year they picked new courses to take (like Care of Magical Creatures) and they were all looking through pamphlets on different career options to help them pick out their new classes, so it was kind of like picking out a career path.

The year they took their OWLS they just needed to get specific scores on their exams in order to proceed on a more specific career path. But if they hadn't picked out the right electives in year 3 then they wouldn't be able to do certain career paths since they hadn't taken those classes and thus couldn't take the higher level courses.

• Options
    @bethsmiles - Very true.
  • Options
    I don't know how I would feel if I had to choose my career in 8th grade. I feel like that is a lot of pressure. For instance, I changed my career choice so many times when I was younger. So I guess as long as you have the option to change it, I suppose it wouldn't be as bad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards