5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
edited June 2014 in Snarky Brides

Re: Deleted

• Options

My step dad is like that. It drive me insane when I get texts like:
    "U gong 2 class 2day"
    UGH
  • Options
    I work with people who say "feel badly" and it drives me mental! I want to subtly leave a copy of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang on their desks just for this scene:
  • Options
    I hear this kind of thing occasionally. It pisses me off.

A: "Lincoln was a President."
    B: "So wasn't Washington. So isn't Obama."

Instead of "So was Washington. So is Obama."

It would make more sense if they phrased it, "So, wasn't Washington? So, is Obama?" BUT NO, IT IS A PHRASED AS A STATEMENT. IT MAKES ME CRAZY.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Like on FB when 500 people are wishing someone a happy birthday, and someone has to try to be "original" by saying "burfday" or "HBD!" or "Happy Bidet!"? Stupid.
  • Options
    Ugh, this bothers me too.

Fi's whole family has major grammar problems, except him for some reason.  FMIL's first language was Italian so I think her second-language English issues spilled over onto her kids.  Fi will straight-up forget the word for something and spend some time in his head searching for it, but he doesn't actually have grammar problems.

FMIL's biggest thing is adding extra pronouns to sentences in places they don't go, and sometimes forgets short little verbs and connecting words.  Such as, "Can you get me that bag it?"  Or, "John coming to the party."

And texting just becomes hilarious because she's totally indecipherable.

It's weird because generally, she has an accent but is perfectly fluent in English.  I just think she picked up some bad habits when she was first learning (in high school) and they stuck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I think intentional grammar errors (like writing "burfday" on a FB wall) bother me more than dialect issues.

As a Chicagoan, I butcher grammar even though I learned proper English in school.  We add prepositions, for example.  "Proper English" means asking something like, "Where are you going?" but Chicago English translates to, "Where you gonna be at?"  Sounds like, "Where y'gon b'yat?"  

We also say "hunnerd" instead of "hundred" and other things like that.  When I give any kind of seminar at work I really try hard to curb my accent and remember my grammar, but it's hard! 

:)

• Options
    I speak with a slight accent that I have tried really hard to get rid of, but birthday is one word that always trips me up. It's a huge joke in my family and they make fun of me all the time. Now everyone says it the way I do as a joke. I pronounce it "birtay". If I want to say it correctly I have to stop and say it very slowly which doesn't happen when I'm just trying to wish someone a happy birthday. I do write it like that on my family's facebook walls because it's a joke. I'm sure people who see it think I don't know how to spell.
  • Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I think intentional grammar errors (like writing "burfday" on a FB wall) bother me more than dialect issues.

As a Chicagoan, I butcher grammar even though I learned proper English in school.  We add prepositions, for example.  "Proper English" means asking something like, "Where are you going?" but Chicago English translates to, "Where you gonna be at?"  Sounds like, "Where y'gon b'yat?"  

We also say "hunnerd" instead of "hundred" and other things like that.  When I give any kind of seminar at work I really try hard to curb my accent and remember my grammar, but it's hard! 

:)
    I feel your pain, fellow Chicagoan! I don't have the accent/dialect, really, but I always have to remind myself not to feel so much English major-induced rage at those who do. 

The ones that bother me the most are:
    Bag pronounced as "bayyyg"
    Chicago ponounced as "Chick-ah-goh"

ETA- OH! I also have a coworker that pronounces yesterday as "yes-tuh-day". It drives me INSANE.
  • Options
    Yay, I'm not alone in this! 
    I also side eye people who pronounce "egg" like "aig".
  • Options

FI gives me shit because I have a southern accent (heavy at times), and sometimes I pronounce single-syllable words with two syllables. Words like shit, tent, and damn.

I am also a big offender with the use of y'all and ain't.

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Why delete?
  • Options
    I don't understand this DD :( I liked this conversation.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options

Why????

I was lurking on this because I too am a bit of a grammar freak.

This doesn't make any sense.

I'm with @beethery. I liked the conversation and really don't understand.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Options
    My guess is OP is worried someone she knows may be on here too. That is the only reason I could see deleting this. 
  • Options
    Such an odd delete. Text speak bugs me. There are certain friends I purposefully don't communicate with by text because it's so goddamn obnoxious to read. H insists on mispronouncing certain words. I think he gets it from his Mom, cause they both refer to a popular local grocery store as "wheez" when everyone else, including the store, pronounces it like the word "wise" He also calls "Daleks" "Drawleks". Infuriating.

Anniversary
  • Options

One that bothers me that seems to be very common is "realtor". FI says "ree-let-or"/"reel-e-tor" all the time. Ugh!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Options
    I know a girl that says "granite" instead of "granted"

Ugh so infuriating!
  • Options
    Why DD ):
  • Options
    Um.... Why the DD?

• Options
    Came for the DD!

~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I will admit there are certain words I always say incorrectly, but it is on purpose and was a combo of how either me or my younger siblings used to say things. Capitiler instead of caterpillar, flutterbye for butterfly, and polka spots instead of polka dots. 
  • Options
    The next door neighbor lady says warsh, for wash. Aaaaaagh! I see no reason for it, because she was born here in Warshington. Makes me frikking crazy.

My ex used to say, "can't phantom it," instead of fathom. Annoying as hell. Dumbass.

"Anyways" sets my teeth on edge. I know everyone in the universe says it, but it's wrong. Anyway. No damned s. 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Me and my fiance......(as the subject of a sentence) drives me crazy.

Personally, I try my best to use proper English.  My most common error is ending a sentence with a preposition.  "Where are you from?"
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I gotta say, the one that really kills me (other than egregious grammatical syntax errors)... is adding apostrophes where they don't fucking belong.  
    For example, I saw this post on Facebook on Monday: "Loved seeing the tributes to Dad's yesterday. Thank you all Dad's for all you do for us!"   KILL ME NOW.

I swear people (who don't know any better) just sling them around to make their typed / written English look intelligent.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    The next door neighbor lady says warsh, for wash. Aaaaaagh! I see no reason for it, because she was born here in Warshington. Makes me frikking crazy.

My ex used to say, "can't phantom it," instead of fathom. Annoying as hell. Dumbass.

"Anyways" sets my teeth on edge. I know everyone in the universe says it, but it's wrong. Anyway. No damned s. 
    I say that.  I also say warter instead of water.  I also pronounce the city that I live near Balmore instead of Baltimore.  Oh and crown instead of caryon.  I watch my pronunciation more when I am at work/in a professional setting, but when I am out with friends and after a beer or two, I just can't help it.  It is just our eastern shore accent here, hon!

• Options

You sure she wasn't born in Pittsburgh?  Hah!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Haha agree with PP, is she from Pittsburgh? That's where I'm from and I know  a TON of people that say it like that. We're also famous for yinz, d'antan, n'at, and so on...lol.
  • Options
    I came for puppies, but I will add that I say warsh instead of wash. Also squarsh instead of squash. It's how I was raised, but I got made fun of enough for it in middle school, that I pre-emptively correct myself most of the time.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Haha agree with PP, is she from Pittsburgh? That's where I'm from and I know  a TON of people that say it like that. We're also famous for yinz, d'antan, n'at, and so on...lol.
    Yinzers UNITE
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards