Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid Robes vs Shirts.

Re: Bridesmaid Robes vs Shirts.

• Options
    mysticl said:
    Majelin86 said:
    I like the idea of the button up shirts better than the robes. I think I would feel awkward getting ready/posing for pics in a robe. I was recently in a wedding and had to scramble at the last minute to find a button up shirt to wear for getting ready (had a white one from my own wedding but that was it and of course didn't want to wear a white shirt for getting ready in for a friend's wedding!), so receiving a button up shirt as a gift would've been nice :)
    What if the picture is of you wearing a bra, panties, and the shirt?  And that's it, no pants.  

And why wouldn't you wear a white shirt to get ready for someone else's wedding?  What does that have to do with anything?

Stuck in the box. I would hope the bride would let the bridesmaids choose their own pants/shorts and not make them just wear panties and the shirt, that'd be awkward!
    I just personally wouldn't wear white as a bridesmaid to get ready in because I wouldn't want to offend the bride. I'm not saying other people can't wear white or it's a rule...I just wouldn't, that's all.

• Options
    Majelin86 said:
    mysticl said:
    Majelin86 said:
    I like the idea of the button up shirts better than the robes. I think I would feel awkward getting ready/posing for pics in a robe. I was recently in a wedding and had to scramble at the last minute to find a button up shirt to wear for getting ready (had a white one from my own wedding but that was it and of course didn't want to wear a white shirt for getting ready in for a friend's wedding!), so receiving a button up shirt as a gift would've been nice :)
    What if the picture is of you wearing a bra, panties, and the shirt?  And that's it, no pants.  

And why wouldn't you wear a white shirt to get ready for someone else's wedding?  What does that have to do with anything?

Stuck in the box. I would hope the bride would let the bridesmaids choose their own pants/shorts and not make them just wear panties and the shirt, that'd be awkward!
    I just personally wouldn't wear white as a bridesmaid to get ready in because I wouldn't want to offend the bride. I'm not saying other people can't wear white or it's a rule...I just wouldn't, that's all.

One would hope but a lot of those "cute" posed getting ready pictures have the bridesmaids wearing very little.  If a bride gets offended because you wore a white shirt to the salon or to a private getting ready room where no one is going to see you on her wedding day she needs some serious help because that is a huge level of narcissism. Personally, I got ready in a blue shirt on my wedding day.  I have no idea what my MOH wore to get ready and we were together from 8am on that day.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    Majelin86 said:
    Any bride who gets offended that one of her bridesmaids is wearing something white in which to get ready needs to seek professional help immediately. 
    This.  A thousand times this.  I just really can't even wrap my head around being upset about what a BM is wearing to get ready in.  The few weddings I have been in I have worn whatever was comfortable and easy to take off without fucking up my hair and makeup.  I gave zero shits in regards to what the color of it was or if it was pretty or had holes or what not because why the hell do I really care what I look like while getting ready?

• Options
    miknicd said:
    These are gifts my BM and MOH want..
    They are probably being nice.  I can assure you, a robe or a button down shirt is the last thing I would want as a gift.  Actually, I'd rather have nothing.
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:
    miknicd said:
    These are gifts my BM and MOH want..
    They are probably being nice.  I can assure you, a robe or a button down shirt is the last thing I would want as a gift.  Actually, I'd rather have nothing.
    I agree. When I was a bridesmaid for my SIL, I got as a gift an engraved single silver candlestick I have never found the opportunity to use, as I lived in an apartment where this was frowned on by my landlord. People don't like robes or lingerie as gifts (at least from people they are not in romantic relationships with!) so I think all brides need to lose this idea as bridesmaids' gifts. And it would be nice if TheKnot wouldn't push it either.
  • Options
       I personally would like  robe (I don't care for button down shirts) as I do theater and could use one to put my makeup on backstage, my sister and my niece, who are my attendants, also do theater and would probably like a robe for the same reason. 

This, however, is a know your crowd sort of deal. Most of my theater friends would get use out of a getting ready robe so I might get them one. My cousins and friends who don't do theater would not so I wouldn't get them one. There are probably more people in this world who view a robe as a crappy gift than would appreciate it. 

For the record, I'm renewing my niece and sister's Disney passes as their gift (they are my only two attendants), not getting them bathrobes. 
  • Options
    I don't even remember what I wore getting ready - and it was only 8 months ago...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    miknicd said:
    I was just wondering, has anyone done the bridesmaid robes or the button up shirts as their BM gift? If so, how did they turn out? where did you find them at? 
    No. I didn't do this.  Because it is STUPID. 
  • Options
    @JCBride2015 - if you search on Pinterest using "Bridesmaids getting ready pictures" - many more matching silk robes, button up shirts, etc. pop up. It looks cute - however, it seems like a waste of money/time/etc.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @JCBride2015 - if you search on Pinterest using "Bridesmaids getting ready pictures" - many more matching silk robes, button up shirts, etc. pop up. It looks cute - however, it seems like a waste of money/time/etc.

This and also sites like The Knot and other wedding based sites also promote this shit.

• Options
    I really hope to God I don't get any of that crap. I got two pieces of "Bride" clothing that I didn't wear (felt really attention-whorey) and since once of them was a pair of panties they're going right in the trash. Thanks for the undies that my garbage will wear?

I'm a bridesmaid now, and if we have to do matchy shit I will barf (and be really honest that I want nothing to do with that crap).

Look at it this way: a monogrammed button up shirt is really only good for wearing when getting updos - how often will your girls be doing that? On the other hand, how many people wear robes on the regular anymore? Not that many.

I think both would be a waste of your money, even if you're not looking to do this for pictures. Besides, those pictures are pretty cheesy. You probably won't like those pictures when they come back. Take that money and buy something more fun, and not wedding related.
  • Options
    I think this is a cute idea. I've seen it a lot on pinterest and etsy. I would choose the robes over shirts, I just see robes being something that might be used a little more often.
  • Options
    I think this is a cute idea. I've seen it a lot on pinterest and etsy. I would choose the robes over shirts, I just see robes being something that might be used a little more often.

• Options
    The only "monogrammed/bride" items I received were a set of Mr. and Mrs. beer coozies (we don't drink without a coozie in our house) and a set of Mr. and Mrs. redneck wine glasses (think red cup wine glass) - which is a nice decoration for our bar downstairs. Anything beyond that - probably would have been sold at our yard sale or stuffed in the attic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You didn't read any of the thread, did you?
    I assumed it was more like she posted to be deliberately going against what the Nazis/bitches/assholes said, considering the timing of the response and that she didn't chime in on any of the other nearby threads. Just this. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    ginger0809ginger0809 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2014
    I read the rest of the thread and gave my honest opinion. I had no idea I had to comment on all the other threads you wanted me to. I have seen it done before and I do think it's cute. An opinion other than yours isn't wrong or "going against you".  
  • Options

I read the rest of the thread and gave my honest opinion. I had no idea I had to comment on all the other threads you wanted me to. I have seen it done before and I do think it's cute. An opinion other than yours isn't wrong or "going against you".  
    Huh?  No one said you had to read other threads, but you clearly didn't read this thread because otherwise you probably wouldn't have said this:

after reading multiple times in this very thread people saying that they don't use robes and never would use a robe.

That was my point.

No one said anything about you being wrong or going against us.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    AddieCake said:
    I assumed it was more like she posted to be deliberately going against what the Nazis/bitches/assholes said, considering the timing of the response and that she didn't chime in on any of the other nearby threads. Just this. 
    I don't care if everyone says they won't use them, I think its rude to stick your nose up at any gift anyone gives you, whether you're going to use it again or not.  I've gotten plenty of things from being in weddings that are not my taste and things I won't ever wear or use again, but it wasn't my wedding to dictate what I got.  If she wants to give them a robe or shirt, do it, I think its a cute idea.  
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    I don't care if everyone says they won't use them, I think its rude to stick your nose up at any gift anyone gives you, whether you're going to use it again or not.  I've gotten plenty of things from being in weddings that are not my taste and things I won't ever wear or use again, but it wasn't my wedding to dictate what I got.  If she wants to give them a robe or shirt, do it, I think its a cute idea.  
    Where did you see anyone say it was OK to turn your nose up at a gift? And we're not telling bridesmaids to dictate to the bride what to buy as a gift. Jesus, girl. Fucking read the post. 
  • Options
    PGL, she was referring to my comment.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I think it's  time to settle down just a bit.  
  • Options
    I think it's  time to settle down just a bit.  
    Thanks for the direction, boss.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
     I've gotten plenty of things from being in weddings that are not my taste and things I won't ever wear or use again, but it wasn't my wedding to dictate what I got.  If she wants to give them a robe or shirt, do it, I think its a cute idea.  
    "I've gotten plenty of shitty gifts so I think it's fine for people to give shitty gifts!!!"
  • Options

I looked into getting my bridesmaids robes or the button up shirts. In the end I wanted something we could take pictures in and I knew that they would not like taking pictures in the robes so I went with the button up shirts. They were just plain white ones with their intials on them. I ordered those on etsy along with the tumbler I got them with their name and title on it. The shop I ordered mine from goes off and on about selling them or I would give it out. You also may be able to find someone around town who does them. But regardless my bridesmaids loved their gift.

• Options

I looked into getting my bridesmaids robes or the button up shirts. In the end I wanted something we could take pictures in and I knew that they would not like taking pictures in the robes so I went with the button up shirts. They were just plain white ones with their intials on them. I ordered those on etsy along with the tumbler I got them with their name and title on it. The shop I ordered mine from goes off and on about selling them or I would give it out. You also may be able to find someone around town who does them. But regardless my bridesmaids loved their gift.

HAHAHAHAHA

Seriously-- what the fuck?  Robes because they will look pretty in YOUR wedding pictures are not a gift for your bridesmaids.

Read the damn thread.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards