Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Robes vs Shirts.

Re: Bridesmaid Robes vs Shirts.

• I love robes, but agree with the PP who mentioned that good quality ones start at $50, at least. If you can afford to spend that much, great.  Posing in a robe for pictures is a whole nother ball of wax. 

I'm not a fan of the shirts. Can I be real folks--- are button down shirts even fashionable right now?  Even if I worked in a business formal environment, a button down would be covered by a jacket.  And, button downs are very hard to pull off on sizing.  I'm small and hate boxy shirts, and need a camisole.  You have big-busted women who get the dreaded gap. I just received a button down shirt monogrammed with my work logo, and I'll wear it maybe once for good measure.  

I just want to add some color here as to why stuff for the sake of photos is a waste. 

• hales2010hales2010 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014

I looked into getting my bridesmaids robes or the button up shirts. In the end I wanted something we could take pictures in and I knew that they would not like taking pictures in the robes so I went with the button up shirts. They were just plain white ones with their intials on them. I ordered those on etsy along with the tumbler I got them with their name and title on it. The shop I ordered mine from goes off and on about selling them or I would give it out. You also may be able to find someone around town who does them. But regardless my bridesmaids loved their gift.

HAHAHAHAHA

Seriously-- what the fuck?  Robes because they will look pretty in YOUR wedding pictures are not a gift for your bridesmaids.

Read the damn thread.

It was how I asked them to be my bridesmaids. I bought them as a present so yes that counts as a gift. Please pick up a dictionary and look up the term gift if you really do not know what that is. If I would have asked them to pay for it then it would not have been one. My bridesmaids already had mentioned getting shirts of some sort before hand which is also why I got those for them. I actually read the thread and instead of insulting or being nasty and rude like a lot of people including yourself are being I answered her question that yes I got them shirts. Yes I am getting them other stuff based more on them. But thanks for being rude.

Edit: I worded this wrong. My maid of honor knew who I was going to ask so I had her drop hints to see if they would like the shirts before I bought them. This explains how I found out if they would like them before I asked. I also had my FI do the same for his sister. They all 5 thought that they would look cute in pictures while getting ready the day of. As for the their tumblers I got them...They use those things alot but that is off topic on this board.

•  

I looked into getting my bridesmaids robes or the button up shirts. In the end I wanted something we could take pictures in and I knew that they would not like taking pictures in the robes so I went with the button up shirts. They were just plain white ones with their intials on them. I ordered those on etsy along with the tumbler I got them with their name and title on it. The shop I ordered mine from goes off and on about selling them or I would give it out. You also may be able to find someone around town who does them. But regardless my bridesmaids loved their gift.

HAHAHAHAHA

Seriously-- what the fuck?  Robes because they will look pretty in YOUR wedding pictures are not a gift for your bridesmaids.

Read the damn thread.
    It was how I asked them to be my bridesmaids. I bought them as a present so yes that counts as a gift. Please pick up a dictionary and look up the term gift if you really do not know what that is. If I would have asked them to pay for it then it would not have been one. My bridesmaids already had mentioned getting shirts of some sort before hand which is also why I got those for them. I actually read the thread and instead of insulting or being nasty and rude like a lot of people including yourself are being I answered her question that yes I got them shirts. Yes I am getting them other stuff based more on them. But thanks for being rude.
  •  It was how I asked them to be my bridesmaids. I bought them as a present so yes that counts as a gift. Please pick up a dictionary and look up the term gift if you really do not know what that is. If I would have asked them to pay for it then it would not have been one. My bridesmaids already had mentioned getting shirts of some sort before hand which is also why I got those for them. I actually read the thread and instead of insulting or being nasty and rude like a lot of people including yourself are being I answered her question that yes I got them shirts. Yes I am getting them other stuff based more on them. But thanks for being rude.

I am so confused by this.  You gave them the shirt when you asked them to be bridesmaids but before you even asked them, they had already mentioned getting shirts? 
  •  

jneen101 said:

I am so confused by this.  You gave them the shirt when you asked them to be bridesmaids but before you even asked them, they had already mentioned getting shirts

Ok I will admit that I wrote that wrong. My maid of honor knew she was in it. She asked them what they thought of weddng party shirts to see if they would like them or to get their opinion because I already told her who I was going to ask. They all told her that they did not think they were tacky and they thought they were cute. I had my FI drop hints to his sister as well to see what she thought. That is why I ended up getting them shirts.
  •  

HAHAHAHAHA

Read the damn thread.

Edit: I worded this wrong. My maid of honor knew who I was going to ask so I had her drop hints to see if they would like the shirts before I bought them. This explains how I found out if they would like them before I asked. I also had my FI do the same for his sister. They all 5 thought that they would look cute in pictures while getting ready the day of. As for the their tumblers I got them...They use those things alot but that is off topic on this board.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• You asked your bridesmaids to be your bridesmaids by giving them shirts?

I'd be willing to bet that they did not all think that they would look cute in pictures while getting ready on the day of your wedding-you pressured them into it and they went along with it so as not to cause you a "scene" or cause you hurt feelings.  But I'd also be willing to bet that not a single one of them "loved" it.

And giving them something you expected them to be photographed in for YOU is NOT a "gift" to them.  It's a required piece of apparel.  The requirement negates any intent you had that it be a "gift."

And had I been asked to be a bridesmaid by being presented with a robe or shirt I was expected to wear in a "getting ready" photo-my answer would have been HELL NO.
  • Jen4948 said:
    You asked your bridesmaids to be your bridesmaids by giving them shirts?

I'd be willing to bet that they did not all think that they would look cute in pictures while getting ready on the day of your wedding-you pressured them into it and they went along with it so as not to cause you a "scene" or cause you hurt feelings.  But I'd also be willing to bet that not a single one of them "loved" it.

And giving them something you expected them to be photographed in for YOU is NOT a "gift" to them.  It's a required piece of apparel.  The requirement negates any intent you had that it be a "gift."

And had I been asked to be a bridesmaid by being presented with a robe or shirt I was expected to wear in a "getting ready" photo-my answer would have been HELL NO.
    I did not pressure anyone. My MOH simply brought up those shirts in a conversation between them when they were on pinterest looking at wedding stuff for another friends wedding. They all thought it was a cute idea and told her that she should suggest them to me if so. they knew that I had already I had asked this girl to be my MOH. My bridesmaids have actually wore their shirts since I asked them. So I would say if they are wearing the shirts outside of my wedding and for other things that they actually like them. I did not pressure anyone into this.
  •  

HAHAHAHAHA

Read the damn thread.

hnbright2010- I liked the shirts too so thanks for the positive feedback. However, i have come to find that you can't have an opinion on here because no matter what you say these rude people criticize everything. Clearly their opinion is the only one that matters. 
  • miknicd said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Read the damn thread.

hnbright2010- I liked the shirts too so thanks for the positive feedback. However, i have come to find that you can't have an opinion on here because no matter what you say these rude people criticize everything. Clearly their opinion is the only one that matters. 

• Jen4948 said:
    miknicd said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Read the damn thread.

No, everyone's opinion matters, but that means that anyone who posts here has to accept that others may not share their opinion and not expect everyone to do so.  Some people, yes, are critical, but "critical" does not equal "rude."
  • AddieCake said:
    I have a hard time believing anyone is wearing a monogrammed shirt out and about unless her name is Laverne De Fazio. Bags and necklaces? Sure. But I don't know the last time I saw someone in a shirt with her initials on it.
    Lol I have a few friends who wear shirts and cardigans with a monogram. One is a BM I got a monogrammed coozie for ;) 
  • AddieCake said:
    I have a hard time believing anyone is wearing a monogrammed shirt out and about unless her name is Laverne De Fazio. Bags and necklaces? Sure. But I don't know the last time I saw someone in a shirt with her initials on it.
    I wear monogrammed shirts all the time and so do my BM and MOH...
  • miknicd said:

AddieCake said:

I wear monogrammed shirts all the time and so do my BM and MOH...

I never wear monograms. If you're BMs wear monograms all the time, monogrammed shirts are probably not a gift.

I'm under the impression that not THAT many people wear monograms, and even less wear monogrammed clothing. So, know your audience, and don't be upset if you see it in the local goodwill.

Anniversary
  • I have never in my life seen someone wear a monogrammed shirt. 
  • P, we are friends OFF. You know how I feel about koozies!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I love robes, but agree with the PP who mentioned that good quality ones start at $50, at least. If you can afford to spend that much, great.  Posing in a robe for pictures is a whole nother ball of wax. 

I'm not a fan of the shirts. Can I be real folks--- are button down shirts even fashionable right now?  Even if I worked in a business formal environment, a button down would be covered by a jacket.  And, button downs are very hard to pull off on sizing.  I'm small and hate boxy shirts, and need a camisole.  You have big-busted women who get the dreaded gap. I just received a button down shirt monogrammed with my work logo, and I'll wear it maybe once for good measure.  

I just want to add some color here as to why stuff for the sake of photos is a waste. 
    I love button down shirts! But my chest is average size and I have some curves. I'm not sure if they are fashionable but I wear them a lot. Then again I make sure it's cut for a woman's body and doesn't look to boxy on me. I have 6 different button down shirts. As the monogram thing I don't think I would mind if the letters were small and the script was pretty. But If it takes up the whole shirt I don't think that would look nice.
  • I like the robe idea and was actually thinking about getting them for my BMs.  I think it's an adorable photo op and we are all so close that no one would feel awkward.  When I picture people getting ready for the wedding I picture comfy yoga pants, tank top, and the robe so it's not it's the only thing they girls would be wearing. I wasn't going to monogram them though.  Of course, it's not the only gift I am giving them.  Each is getting something super personal to fit their style too.

Etsy has tons of different robe styles.  Just search bridesmaids robes in the search box.  Hope this helps :-)
  • I like the robe idea and was actually thinking about getting them for my BMs.  I think it's an adorable photo op and we are all so close that no one would feel awkward.  When I picture people getting ready for the wedding I picture comfy yoga pants, tank top, and the robe so it's not it's the only thing they girls would be wearing. I wasn't going to monogram them though.  Of course, it's not the only gift I am giving them.  Each is getting something super personal to fit their style too.

Etsy has tons of different robe styles.  Just search bridesmaids robes in the search box.  Hope this helps :-)
    Being "so close" doesn't mean that these people won't feel awkward about being photographed in states of partial undress or that they'll be okay with it just because you think it's "cute" or "an adorable photo op." They may just not have chosen not to say so out of not wanting to hurt your feelings, and if so, that suggests that you're not as close as you would have yourself, let alone us, believe.

Are they also close to the photographer, or is that a total stranger?  Will only people they are close to see these pictures?  Or maybe the photographer will use them as part of his/her portfolio and show them to every potential client and maybe even post them on their webpage for the entire planet to see.  
    My photographer did show me pictures of women in robes or button downs getting ready.  They weren't matching outfits or posed pictures but they were still partially dressed women doing their hair and makeup.  I didn't know them, they didn't know me, but I saw their pictures.  And immediately decided I didn't want any getting read pictures done.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How does being close with friends mean people won't be uncomfortable being photographed in a bathrobe?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  •  For AddieCake

• Wahoo! Thank you, Maire!
  • Jen4948 said:
    I like the robe idea and was actually thinking about getting them for my BMs.  I think it's an adorable photo op and we are all so close that no one would feel awkward.  When I picture people getting ready for the wedding I picture comfy yoga pants, tank top, and the robe so it's not it's the only thing they girls would be wearing. I wasn't going to monogram them though.  Of course, it's not the only gift I am giving them.  Each is getting something super personal to fit their style too.

Being "so close" doesn't mean that these people won't feel awkward about being photographed in states of partial undress or that they'll be okay with it just because you think it's "cute" or "an adorable photo op." They may just not have chosen not to say so out of not wanting to hurt your feelings, and if so, that suggests that you're not as close as you would have yourself, let alone us, believe.
    Close meaning we can tell/say/act like ourselves around each other and yes, they would tell me if they feel awkward.  That's why we are friends.  

I'm sorry I even posted in this forum since people are questioning how close I am with my friends.  
  • mysticl said:
    I like the robe idea and was actually thinking about getting them for my BMs.  I think it's an adorable photo op and we are all so close that no one would feel awkward.  When I picture people getting ready for the wedding I picture comfy yoga pants, tank top, and the robe so it's not it's the only thing they girls would be wearing. I wasn't going to monogram them though.  Of course, it's not the only gift I am giving them.  Each is getting something super personal to fit their style too.

Are they also close to the photographer, or is that a total stranger?  Will only people they are close to see these pictures?  Or maybe the photographer will use them as part of his/her portfolio and show them to every potential client and maybe even post them on their webpage for the entire planet to see.  
    My photographer did show me pictures of women in robes or button downs getting ready.  They weren't matching outfits or posed pictures but they were still partially dressed women doing their hair and makeup.  I didn't know them, they didn't know me, but I saw their pictures.  And immediately decided I didn't want any getting read pictures done.  
    I totally understand the photographer thought.  My photographer doesn't post his pictures on FB for all the world to see which is one reason why I liked the company.  Also, my pics won't be posted on the webpage for all to see.  To see the pics you need a password provided by me.  
  • Jen4948 said:

Close meaning we can tell/say/act like ourselves around each other and yes, they would tell me if they feel awkward.  That's why we are friends.  

I'm sorry I even posted in this forum since people are questioning how close I am with my friends. 

Stuck in box...

Whether you or your friends perceive the same degree of closeness in your relationship, your friends may very well have different feelings than you think about whether or not they want to receive embroidered robes as bridesmaids' gifts, let alone be photographed in them while "getting ready."

You're so sure that you know what they think, but when it comes to very intimate moments, people can be surprising.  We know how we would feel, and since so many of us wouldn't want to receive robes as gifts, let alone be photographed in them, not to mention that no one can read minds, that's why we think that there is a possibility that you and your friends aren't really on the same page about this.  You might think that you are all that "close," but maybe not.  Stop getting so defensive about your decision.  If you really don't want advice and are just going to go ahead and do whatever you want, then you're right, this forum isn't a good place for you to be.  The other posters are allowed to disagree with your decision and even to wonder about your relationships based on what you post.

• WHY DO PEOPLE WANT PICTURES OF THEIR FRIENDS IN BATHROBES AND PARTIAL UNDERWEAR? 

Why?
    Because the wedding industry machine said it was cute so you can spend X amount of dollars on a robe that is perceived as a "great idea!"  
  • WHY DO PEOPLE WANT PICTURES OF THEIR FRIENDS IN BATHROBES AND PARTIAL UNDERWEAR? 

Why?
    I mean, my friends are pretty sexy.

But still, NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards