Snarky Brides
Options

Massive Ring Faux Pas!!!

My FI and I had our wedding bands custom made by the same guy (a friend of FI's) who made my engagement ring. They came in the mail a week or two ago. My MoH was over last weekend and asked to see them because she loved my engagement ring. Thinking nothing of it, I went and got the box and handed it to her so she could look. She then takes the ring out... AND PUTS IT ON... Ummm, excuse me? Not okay.

I don't know if I'm just overreacting but I was PISSED that she had the nerve to try on MY WEDDING BAND. I'm a little surprised she didn't ask to try it with my engagement ring!

I'm sorry if I'm being crazy but I am still soo angry because she then texted to tell me how she wasn't sure how she felt about how it looked. GRRRR. I designed the ring MYSELF. *grumble grumble*

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Massive Ring Faux Pas!!!

• Options
    I mean, I handed it to her in its box. I think it just annoys me so much because it was my wedding band. I just don't understand who would even ASK to try someone else's wedding band on?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I would have asked first but I have had a few people try on my engagement ring without asking and it doesn't bother me as long as I get it back.  But she should not have commented on how it looked, unless she was saying it didn't look right on her because it looked so much better on you. 
  • Options

You guys are right. I'm probably over-reacting. It just felt really personal because it was my wedding band and it was something I designed personally. She and I are close but I'd never have done it to her. *shrug*

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    She could've asked first? Also, what if it got stuck?

I wouldn't shit a brick over it but she wasn't right to do that.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I've sat around with a group of women (one's I'm not even that close to) and everyone was trying on each other's rings.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I.....don't see what's so "massive" about this.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with PP. I really don't see what the big deal is. Maybe she should have asked, but I really think you need a big dose of perspective here. Is your husband now destined to marry your friend because she had the audacity to put on jewellery for 2 minutes that belongs to you? Is your wedding now cursed because someone else wore your wedding bands? You do realise that most jewellers will put the ring on one of their fingers to test the feel.
  • Options
    You ladies are right - I'm definitely overreacting. It hit hard because it felt like an invasion of personal space and is definitely something that my other friends wouldn't have even thought about. This MoH has also been a pretty consistent MOHzilla throughout the process so that probably also colored my reaction. *deep breaths*

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I think it's a natural reaction when handed a ring: "Imma wear dis!"  So yeah, you're fine.  In a week you get to wear it forever!  :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I am always putting my engagement ring on my sisters and trying on girlfriends' rings, I think it's sweet and fun. Your friend putting on your wedding band that hasn't even been worn yet is weird, especially since YOU want to be the first one to wear it, but I would just pretend like it didn't happen and move on.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

That's what I've decided I'm going to do. My bachelorette party is actually this weekend ( I leave in 25 minutes! WOO!) with her and my BMs and i'm not gonna say anything about it. You guys are right. Whether or not it was weird, it wasn't as big of a deal as it felt at the time.

Time to buckle up and move forward!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    OP, I'd be a bit pissed too, tbh.  But - in the end - no real harm done.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options

The only thing is she didn't ask first. She probably should have, but whatever.

Your ring had never been on anyone elses hand, but for those who buy their rings in a store, who knows who has tried them on?

Forget about it.

• Options
    Doing that without asking is gross. However I let pretty much all my sisters mother and close friends try mine on. Lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:
    Doing that without asking is gross. However I let pretty much all my sisters mother and close friends try mine on. Lol
    Gross?  Really?  What is gross about that?  Weird, maybe, but not gross.

I designed my e-ring.  Others tried it on, not sure if they asked or not.  It's a ring, NBD to me.   

I tried on my sister's ring without asking.  It barely fits my pinky.  I tried it on because it's so damn small I wanted to see how small compared to my own.  Hehe.     My sister tried on mine for a similar reason.  Mine fits on her thumb.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    larrygaga said:
    Gross?  Really?  What is gross about that?  Weird, maybe, but not gross.

I designed my e-ring.  Others tried it on, not sure if they asked or not.  It's a ring, NBD to me.   

I tried on my sister's ring without asking.  It barely fits my pinky.  I tried it on because it's so damn small I wanted to see how small compared to my own.  Hehe.     My sister tried on mine for a similar reason.  Mine fits on her thumb.
    My ring was custom made and apparently some of the ladies in the jewelry store loved it so much, they wanted to try in on before FI took it home. They made him promise to bring it back and let them see it on me and with a wedding band. I thought it was funny and flattering.

Alos, all of my friends have tried on my engagement ring. But they asked...

• Options
    One of my best friends (who is a BM) visited this weekend and hadn't seen my engagement ring yet. She reached over and pulled it off my finger without asking and then tried it on, and made fun of how tiny my hands are. We laughed and then she gave the ring back. I really thought nothing of it. It's a ring, and it's pretty. Of course people want to check it out, try it on, etc. I don't understand why that's a "massive" issue or something to get upset about. No worries, she didn't mean anything by it, I'm sure!
  • Options
    Your ring is just a symbol, it doesn't mean she's married to your FI now?!?!

Although I agree that her comments on her opinion on your ring is uncalled for.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I showed my best friend my ring, and immediately asked to try it on. She asked, since I was wearing it, but if I hadn't been and she had just picked it up, I wouldn't have been upset at all. I might not like it if someone I didn't know well asked me to try it on, but my best friend and maid of honor doesn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    I used to try on my friends' and sister's engagement rings, prior to being married. Now if it was a stranger, that's weird, but not a friend. Sure she should have asked, but it's no big deal IMO.

• Options
    None of my friends, or anybody, has asked to try on my ring. When any of my friends got engaged, I didn't want to try on their rings. My mom didn't try on my ring, and I've never tried on any of hers.

I'm not on the train of thought of, "MY ENGAGEMENT VALUE HAS BEEN REMOVED BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE WORE MY RING OMG!!!!!" lol

My immediate thought is to not put on someone's ring because what if it gets stuck? I have fat fingers, I ain't fucking with that. What if my ring got stuck on someone else? I don't want to have to cut the sucker off and get it fixed, that would suck.

If someone that wasn't like... a kid asked me to try it on, I'd probably ask, "Why?" before I could stop myself. I don't really understand wanting to try on someone else's ring, but I'm in the minority here.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:
    None of my friends, or anybody, has asked to try on my ring. When any of my friends got engaged, I didn't want to try on their rings. My mom didn't try on my ring, and I've never tried on any of hers.

I'm not on the train of thought of, "MY ENGAGEMENT VALUE HAS BEEN REMOVED BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE WORE MY RING OMG!!!!!" lol

My immediate thought is to not put on someone's ring because what if it gets stuck? I have fat fingers, I ain't fucking with that. What if my ring got stuck on someone else? I don't want to have to cut the sucker off and get it fixed, that would suck.

If someone that wasn't like... a kid asked me to try it on, I'd probably ask, "Why?" before I could stop myself. I don't really understand wanting to try on someone else's ring, but I'm in the minority here.
    I'm with you here. I don't really understand why you would want to? But at the same time, I also don't think it's a big deal (or a massive faux pas).
  • Options
    beethery said:

100% agreed.  FI was even afraid to try on the ring sizer, lest it get stuck (and his fingers are definitely not fat).  Rings getting stuck on the "wrong" fingers would be my first red flag in this situation too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm one of those weirdos that believes that stones and metals etc hold peoples energies. You can always just sage the ring. No big deal. I'd be more upset about her rude comments.
  • Options
    I don't have an e-ring (yet!) But I have a ring that is made with my mother's (she's deceased) diamond. I had it re-set (my sister got the setting). When I first got it, most of my fiends that looked at it - just tried it on. I never ever thought once about it.

I think myself, as well as my group of fiends are in the group of "Imma wear dis!" group that @goldchocobo was talking about.
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards