Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Another point money doesn't buy class.

Found this beauty in the back of the banquet spaces at the luxury hotel I work at from a wedding that happened over the weekend. The wedding had over 150 people, and our pp cost for receptions start at $225. Gotta love holiday weekend weddings where the WP dictates their guests' behavior. LURKERS: don't do this.

imageimage

Re: Another point money doesn't buy class.

• Options
    Ew.  You don't dictate what your guests can and cannot do with their personal belongings.  Sure, I hope everyone isn't taking pictures and filming my wedding like its some concert, but I'm not going to tell them what to do
  • Options
    Yuck. This makes me ragey.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    BrandNewJBrandNewJ member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Way to be klassy. If there's anything grown adultS like, it's being told what to do.
  • Options
    Noooo way. I 100% disagree!!! You can politely ask (like this is) people to not be texting, instagramming, posting, etc. during your wedding ceremony. This is the same reason why people are asked to turn off cell phones before movies. People need to be reminded to be polite! Its incredibly rude and yes, people do it all the time.
    A wedding is not a movie. Movies contains a bunch of random strangers who pay admission. A wedding is comprised of loved ones who the bride and groom should reasonably respect. 

Furthermore, have you ever been to the movies? Do you realize that, despite those disclaimers, people STILL use their phones?! My favorite case-in-point: one time, someone's cell phone went off during a movie I was seeing and their ringtone was the song "I'm So Hood" - NO JOKE!! In my head I was like "yeah the hell you are *eyeroll*" and then I went back to watching the movie.

If the disclaimer doesn't work in the movies, then that analogy is not a very strong comparison to make. People are going to do what they want to do. Treating your wedding guests, your loved ones, like random strangers paying to go to the movies, and presuming that they are rude enough to use their phones or GOD FORBID that they love you enough to want to take pictures, is RUDE!
  • Options
    Noooo way. I 100% disagree!!! You can politely ask (like this is) people to not be texting, instagramming, posting, etc. during your wedding ceremony. This is the same reason why people are asked to turn off cell phones before movies. People need to be reminded to be polite! Its incredibly rude and yes, people do it all the time.
    Adults do not need to be reminded to be polite, because they are adults. Yes, some people don't seem to understand basic etiquette but treating your guests like children and dictating how they behave is also rude. Two rude behaviors don't make a right.

And you say people do it all the time but I have literally never seen someone talk on their phone, heard a phone go off, or seen someone get in the way to take a picture (I've seen people take pictures discretely which I think is perfectly fine) at a wedding. So it clearly doesn't happen all the time.

• Options
    rooz103 said:
    Can I ask your rationale for the bolded? 

I understand movie theaters asking patrons to turn their phones off because I paid $12.50 for the privilege of watching Sir Ian McKellen do his thing, and I'd gently club someone over the head with a breadstick if they were yammering away on their phone for two hours.

Conversely, weddings aren't generally an event that has an admission price attached to it, one where other patrons would get snippy and storm management about other people being on their phones. Since they're guests, not customers, what's the rational explanation behind this request? 

That is, unless your wedding actually does come with an admission price of $12.50 and features Sir Ian McKellen in a wizened sci-fi/fantasy role, in which case, carry on.  

Not to mention the legality issue. Most cell phones now take photo/video and it is illegal to use those functions on a phone (with intent to sell) in a movie. It's not illegal to take a photo of the happy coupe.
  • Options
    rooz103 said:
    Can I ask your rationale for the bolded? 

I understand movie theaters asking patrons to turn their phones off because I paid $12.50 for the privilege of watching Sir Ian McKellen do his thing, and I'd gently club someone over the head with a breadstick if they were yammering away on their phone for two hours.

Conversely, weddings aren't generally an event that has an admission price attached to it, one where other patrons would get snippy and storm management about other people being on their phones. Since they're guests, not customers, what's the rational explanation behind this request? 

That is, unless your wedding actually does come with an admission price of $12.50 and features Sir Ian McKellen in a wizened sci-fi/fantasy role, in which case, carry on.  

And in the dark. Phones are distracting for everyone at the movies because the room is dark. When was the last time you were in a restaurant, for example, or at a bus stop and was annoyed by another person sitting quietly using their phone? Try again.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Being on your phone during a wedding ceremony could certainly affect the enjoyment of the moment for the other guests around them, if not the couple, and while they may not have paid for admission they certainly have the right and expectation that those around them will treat the moment with the solemnity it deserves and not distract from it. Moreover, if your ceremony is in a religious space, it is just plain disrespectful to be on your phone. Also flash photography from cell phones would be distracting regardless of the lighting level of the ceremony space.

We no longer expect adults to know how to properly and promptly RSVP to a wedding reception, to the point where not only do we need to include a RSVP card but we have address and stamp an envelope too with a deadline to basically make it as easy as possible for people to RSVP. I think one polite reminder (as it is very easy even for those who intend well to forget to turn their phones to silent) is not "classless" in any way.

Personally, I'm not going to do this because I don't want to discourage photos during the ceremony, because I'm going to want to see them but I get why some people might hope that people could back away from their devices for 30 minutes (or less) for something as important as a wedding ceremony. And before I get the whole no one cares about your wedding as much you, blah blah blah, if what's going on with your phone is more important than the wedding ceremony of your loved one, you really ought to have declined.
  • Options
    The same people who would rudely be on their phone during a wedding ceremony would likely ignore any messages telling them to stay off their phones. I've been on many a flight where everyone is told to turn off their phones/electronic devices and seen plenty of people ignore it - and that's supposed to be for safety! (Not debating whether it's actually necessary for safety or not, just saying that's the reasoning they give for wanting the devices turned off)
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    My H's stepdad got up and was moving around near H and I during the ceremony. I thought "what is he doing" for about a quarter of a second. He was taking a picture of my mom's expression during the ceremony. They blew it up, framed it and gave it to me at her funeral. Had I have been an uptight ass, I wouldn't have that picture of my mom. Healthy (looking), totally glowing and so excited. You would have thought it was her wedding.

Well now I'm crying. That's so sweet.
  • Options

Do you really think people who "need to be reminded to be polite" will actually take the reminder to heart?  LOL no.  Obviously I hope people aren't all standing and taking flash pictures of me at my wedding, but I sincerely doubt that'll happen, so I'm not worried.  None of us are celebrities.  Most people won't be utterly disruptive and take pictures.  And those who will - well, a sign isn't going to stop them.
  • Options
    It's just kind of silly to treat adults like children who have never been to an event before. Rather than a big sign that says to stop using technology, I have been to weddings where the officiant reminded folks just before the ceremony to silence cell phones. I think that is a gentler way to do it. And honestly as long as people don't get in the way of my photographer I don't especially care if they are also taking some shots of my wedding. 
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    This is so freaking tacky. 

I can not tell you what one single guest was doing during my reception. I was focused on getting married. Imagine that! 

One of my girlfriends actually recorded the entire wedding ceremony. She just sent it to me yesterday. I had no idea she was recording. She was in the second row. And it's so wonderful to have it all on video (we didn't hire a videographer). 

Some of the best pictures I have are ones my guests took. And none of them got in the way of my photographer. Imagine that! 

• Options
    Pretty sure Kim Kardashian is proof that money can't buy class.
  • Options
    This is so freaking tacky. 

I can not tell you what one single guest was doing during my reception. I was focused on getting married. Imagine that! 

One of my girlfriends actually recorded the entire wedding ceremony. She just sent it to me yesterday. I had no idea she was recording. She was in the second row. And it's so wonderful to have it all on video (we didn't hire a videographer). 

Some of the best pictures I have are ones my guests took. And none of them got in the way of my photographer. Imagine that! 

All of this. I had no idea what my guests were doing when I was walking down the aisle. My eyes we on DH. Found out the next day that his stepdad had recorded parts of the ceremony - my entrance, both of our sisters doing readings, and our vows. When we watched the video, I saw then that people had been taking pictures during my entrance - I was honestly shocked because I didn't remember that at all!
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Calling someone a bitch is against the TOS. You might want to edit your post. @slothiegal‌
  • Options

The verbiage is strange.  You invite me to be fully present?  Didn't the invite already invite me to be present?   Then you want me to turn off my phone.   Okay, sure, but what does that have to do with the invite for me being to be fully present?   One has nothing to do with the other.

True story.  I NEVER have my phone on a weddings. I also am not a "fully present" guest as their implied definition.    Especially at an old church or something similar,  I'm forever looking at the architecture or distracted in other ways.

Unless you are some high profile person I think the requests for unplugged weddings is eye-worthy. Those type of offenders will not comply anyway.  They either do not read the request or think they are some special SF they think they are exempt.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

You're trolling or being sarcastic, right?

Othwise GTFO. I don't have time right niw to refute this stupidity yet again.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards