Chit Chat
Options

The Knot Acronyms

I just want to help out fellow lurkers and newbies/am a little slow to pick up on things sometimes. In addition to all the widely known wedding acronyms (MOB, MOG, FOB, FOG, MOH, FMIL, FFIL, FSIL, STDs, etc.), there are some that I've seen that are exclusive to the Knot, like

PPD: "Pretty Princess Day"

SS: "Special Snowflakes" (before I figured this one out, I thought this was a Godwin's Law situation and all the bridezillas were being called Nazis)

DW: "Destination Wedding"

WW: "Wedding Wire" (usually used in the context of "WW troll")

Still stuck on "SITB", "AHR," and a few others. Searching the boards doesn't really help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: The Knot Acronyms

• Options

SITB - stuck in the box (when the quote boxes aren't working correctly)

AHR - at home reception

• Options

SITB= Stuck in the box

AHR= at home reception

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

STIB = Stuck in Box

AHR = At Home Reception

One of the boards has a sticky with this I think, it might not have them all though

Also, sometimes I use these in texts with friends and it completely confuses them but I struggle to switch out of Knot mode.

• Options
    Is JIC = Just in Case?
  • Options

AW= Attention Whore

DD= Dirty Delete. Deleting a thread after posting it is consider poor form.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Is JIC = Just in Case?
    Yup.

• Options
    Is JIC = Just in Case?
    Yes. JIC is used when you quote someone you think is going to delete their post. 
  • Options

FTFY= Fixed that for you.

I am trying to think of which ones I struggled with when I first started posting.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It took me a while to learn GBCK (Good bye cruel Knot) 
    It's for when snowflakes announce dramatically that they're leaving because we're so mean and/or ask to have their account deleted. 

I had googled it when I was still trying to figure it out and google said it meant Green Building Council Korea. I finally just asked. 

Also, didn't catch these right off the bat:
    FWIW= for what it's worth 
    IMHO= In my humble opinion 
    DD= dirty delete 
    FWP= first world problem 
  • Options

Here's a pretty thorough discussion on the acronyms

http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1014195/so-many-acronyms

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Thanks, you all have been very helpful! I can't believe someone would actually say GBCK. Sounds very AW of them. :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    OP = original poster
    PP = previous poster(s)
    NER = not etiquette related
    NWR = not wedding related
    WR = wedding related

• Options
    Thanks, you all have been very helpful! I can't believe someone would actually say GBCK. Sounds very AW of them. :)
    The GBCKer doesn't say it, the other users commenting or shaming someone who came back after pulling a GBCK use it ;)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Oh my THANK YOU! I've been lurking on these boards for like 6 months waiting for this stream!!!

I probably fall into the "little slow to pick up on things" category :)
  • Options
    Oh my THANK YOU! I've been lurking on these boards for like 6 months waiting for this stream!!!

If I'm being completely honest, it took me wayyyy too long to pick up on what "STD" and "BM" stand for in a wedding context. Reading the boards during my first couple of weeks of engagement was . . . interesting. ;)

• Options
    There's one super long one that I can't ever figure out, and dumb me can't remember what it is now. But I think I just figured out JFC yesterday.. Jesus fucking christ? Or am I just highly offensive?
    Anniversary

• Options

If I'm being completely honest, it took me wayyyy too long to pick up on what "STD" and "BM" stand for in a wedding context. Reading the boards during my first couple of weeks of engagement was . . . interesting. ;)
    I still get confused because sometimes BM is bridesmaid and sometimes it's best man. for the longest time when I started I thought AW was attention wanted, and that PIP was just a way to say "yay". hahahah

• Options

Hahaha! Yeah, coming from the medical field, I was really confused when I saw STD and BM on these boards... I knew I must not have been the only one with that reaction!
  • Options
    There's one super long one that I can't ever figure out, and dumb me can't remember what it is now. But I think I just figured out JFC yesterday.. Jesus fucking christ? Or am I just highly offensive?
    Yep.

• Options
    That's what I assumed it was. But maybe we're just both highly offensive?

• Options
    PIP= Pictures in Post

• Options
    Not an acronym, but "bean-dip" = change the subject. 

My first post on here, someone suggest I bean-dip my aunt if she brought up wedding things. No idea what that meant, so I Urban Dictionary-ed it.

Urban Dictionary DOES NOT have the correct Knot definition of bean-dip.
    I don't even want to begin to think of what Urban Dictionary's "bean-dip" might be.

• Options
    Is "FFS" "for fuck's sake"....?

I think FFS and JFC get busted out at times of intense frustration. 

• Options
    Love/needed this thread. Thank you!
  • Options
    TLDR - Too Long Don't Read

This is used when you have a long post and include cliff notes to summarize. It took me forever to figure that one out as obvious as it should be! 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Is "FFS" "for fuck's sake"....?

I think FFS and JFC get busted out at times of intense frustration. 
    Yes.

• Options
    I also used to get really confused by ETA and ETF (edited to add; edited to fix) 

I always saw it at the bottom of posts and thought it was similar to saying "in other words..." or "just as an aside..." 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards