Chit Chat
Options

Whaaaaaat is going on here?

Re: Whaaaaaat is going on here?

• Options
    Pink answered 1.  

As for 2, Nope, I hate people blowing smoke up my ass.  It might hurt initially, but I'd rather have people be up front and straight with me.  I'm going through it right now with my cheer coaches, and one finally gave me straight up answer as to why I'm not being placed on the team I want.  I have more respect for her at the moment than I do anyone else who gave me bullshit answers all last year. 

Can I still say bullshit??  

• Options

Okay so follow-up questions (and I appreciate y'alls responses so far):

1. First the practical question- based on something Lynda said I think I misunderstood the initial incident that caused all this kerfuffle. Have the TOS changed recently or not? What exactly set Ashley off and caused her to get banned?

2. The bigger question: putting aside issues of how much power of censorship administrators should or should not have, do YOU think this community would benefit from being more polite? And I don't mean benefit in the financial sense (as in, XO's ability to profit off the forums), but benefit in terms of your increased enjoyment of being here. Basically, would you be happier if the community where somewhat less snarky?
    1.  I'm not really sure, but as already mentioned, I think what "set it off" was a complaint or something about Ashley's signature gif, which if I recall, was a girl throwing the bird.  I personally wasn't offended by it as I have been here long enough to know her style and what she's like, but I could see how people would be unhappy with it as it was pretty "in your face".  I can also recently recall other threads recently where she was getting a bit carried away with herself.  So I don't think it was just about the GIF... it was due to her history as well.

2.  I think more politeness might be good in some cases.  There's been times when a new person will post a question, and some of the responses have the tone of "you're a fucking idiot, why are you even asking that,".  Those types of responses are a turn off, at least to me.  My guess is is that in those cases, regulars get used to seeing the same types of questions asked over and over, and get tired of seeing them. But, they don't realize that a new poster isn't going to read through pages of discussions to see if their question was already asked and answered.  But, getting snarky responses to an innocent question can really make someone new put their guard up, and return with attacks, and then the "I was attacked" argument comes up.  I personally wouldn't mind seeing some of the snarkiness going away a bit, as it does decrease from the actual usefulness of many threads since they quickly escalate into a shitshow.

I had the exact thing happen to me when I was new.  I was in the wrong for responding the way I did, but it came from being offended by some of the responses I received to a comment I made to a question someone else asked (not in chit chat, but another board.)  The whole thread devolved into arguing, which was too bad as it was a good question to begin with.  As I've been here longer I understand more the style of the board, but a lot of people would probably just leave and not come back.  
    Everything above. Sometimes it gets too much and then overboard and it's like jumping down someone's throat. 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    TacoBelle2TacoBelle2 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2015
    I think what differentiates this community from other sites is the snark. I think if the community became more polite it would lose what makes it famous in the wedding website world. Obviously the regulars are regulars because they like frank and snarky conversations, and the new people who stick around do so because they like the particular flavor of this site. If anything, I think increased politeness here would be a detriment to the established community because one of the distinguishing features of the TK community is its snark.
  • Options
    kkitkat79kkitkat79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015

1. First the practical question- based on something Lynda said I think I misunderstood the initial incident that caused all this kerfuffle. Have the TOS changed recently or not? What exactly set Ashley off and caused her to get banned?

2. The bigger question: putting aside issues of how much power of censorship administrators should or should not have, do YOU think this community would benefit from being more polite? And I don't mean benefit in the financial sense (as in, XO's ability to profit off the forums), but benefit in terms of your increased enjoyment of being here. Basically, would you be happier if the community where somewhat less snarky?
    2: On which given day? There are polite days, and snarky days. Do I ever feel like someone goes too far? Sure. There's an undefinable line that can be crossed between sarcasm and meanness, between snark and shittiness, and where that line is will be different for each person.
    Somebody blew a gasket the other day because a poster suggested eloping. It wasn't rude at all, to my perception, or unkindly suggested, but to some dainty little snowflake, it was RUDE.
    Polite is a very gray area, based on individual perception, and it would be impossible to define a standard of "polite" social interaction that pleased everyone. 

If anyone feels that we need a kinder gentler Knot, nothing wrong with that. Be that kind and gentle person, and brava. Be you, if you're kind. I like nice people. 

But I also really like smartasses. And I like humor. And I enjoy the honest and sharp responses that reflect the genuine reactions of the people here. My humor might not be yours. Someone might say I'm rude, because there's no accounting for perception, and there are people who take themselves verrrrrry seriously, and my natural inclination is to poke a pin in that inflated kind of ego. 
    So if this place became all sunshine and rainbows, I'd miss the comedy. Is humor rude? Is blunt rude? Is blatant honesty rude? 

Because if all of those things went away, I would definitely enjoy my reading time less. It would suck. I'd be sad.  The community would gradually yawn itself to death. 

If "polite" is a grey area then so is etiquette and I don't think many would agree with that. Isn't it generally accepted that etiquette is exactly what you said is impossible to define - a standard of polite social interaction? There is more to etiquette than just wedding etiquette.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm fairly new and one of the things that attracted me to the boards was the no nonsense approach and the way that everyone seemed to have a sense of humour. True, some of the responses on here can be harsh but I find that it depends who it is and what topic it is.

One of the reasons I like posting here rather than WW is that WW seems disjointed in what they allow. Often I'll see posts where they accuse TK of being cliquey but I find they can be way worse with their regs.

I also find the information on the community here more supportive and helpful for wedding planning.
  • Options

If I wanted TK to be more polite and less snarky, I'd go to WeddingBee.  That is the site if you are looking to be coddled, hand held and told every idea is brilliant!
  • Options

AddieCake said:

For me, it all comes down to, once again, the definition of "being more polite." As Annabelle pointed out, special snowflakes come along and cry "Rude!" all the time and are using the word incorrectly. I know I keep bringing this up, but I feel it's an excellent example. I got reported and warned recently for saying someone was insane for doing a mud run the day of the wedding. Seriously? That was offensive/rude/hurtful in some way to someone? 

So no, I don't think the community would benefit from being more polite. I think people in general would benefit from not being so delicate and getting their damned feelers hurt so easily and learning to handle comments better. Do they expect to get treated with kid gloves in the real world? They're....dare I say it....insane if they think they will.
    Seriously?

I wish you could see my face right now.

So for those of you who are very "Follow the rules or just leave" - is that kind of warning acceptable to you?
    As a mod, I was warned for saying to the same OP in the same thread  "YOU ARE FUCKING INSANE"

Did I rolls my eyes?  Yes.  Was it a personal attack?  Yes.    As we all know, words mean something.  I could have used different words to get my point across.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

AddieCake said:

For me, it all comes down to, once again, the definition of "being more polite." As Annabelle pointed out, special snowflakes come along and cry "Rude!" all the time and are using the word incorrectly. I know I keep bringing this up, but I feel it's an excellent example. I got reported and warned recently for saying someone was insane for doing a mud run the day of the wedding. Seriously? That was offensive/rude/hurtful in some way to someone? 

So no, I don't think the community would benefit from being more polite. I think people in general would benefit from not being so delicate and getting their damned feelers hurt so easily and learning to handle comments better. Do they expect to get treated with kid gloves in the real world? They're....dare I say it....insane if they think they will.
    Seriously?

I wish you could see my face right now.

So for those of you who are very "Follow the rules or just leave" - is that kind of warning acceptable to you?
    As a mod, I was warned for saying to the same OP in the same thread  "YOU ARE FUCKING INSANE"

Did I rolls my eyes?  Yes.  Was it a personal attack?  Yes.    As we all know, words mean something.  I could have used different words to get my point across.

Yeah, you could have, but the words you used were hardly reportable. You and I could have said, "You're a silly goose trying to do that!" and it would have meant the same thing as "You're insane." 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    MadHops21 said:

luckya23 said:

MadHops21 said:

I'm a newer member so I wasn't around for the last mass exodus.  However I've been "message boarding" for a long time (even met my FI on a message board), including admining and mod-ing elsewhere, so what I'm witnessing this time around is nothing new. 

I'm like Lynda... a bit of a rule follower, and also acknowledging that these are not my boards, and they don't belong to any other member, regular or not.  I also get why they're upset.  People get comfortable on a board, form relationships, etc., so when something comes in to disrupt that, they don't like it.  But, that's why they're free to go form their own groups on Proboards or wherever else if they're not happy with what's going on here.

I originally came on these boards just to get ideas for my own wedding as I'm pretty much clueless about them.  I have learned a lot, and also had some nice discussions about non-wedding related topics.  I imagine that those will continue, with or without the current regulars, because that's how I've seen it happen elsewhere.

I will also say, that as a newer member who isn't someone that would be classified as a "strong personality", I felt pretty intimidated by a lot of the regs.  I think we've all witnessed someone asking an innocent and non-offensive question, and a few people just going nuts with it.  That isn't the way to get and keep new members, especially those that aren't as used to interneting.  Since the goal of this website is to make the owners money, I can see why they wouldn't want members around who hinder new folks from coming and participating.
    You could not put this any better. Exactly this. 
    Yup, me too.

I'm not really a "reg" here so I would not be interested in following anyone in particular out of here... Especially based on a hissy fit about rule changes which seem to be designed to make the community more polite and therefore accessible to all.

My wedding is in a month, so I can't say for sure if I will be as interested going forward but I still hope it does stay as active.
    My wedding is next year, so I'll continue lurking, but I might stay afterwards because at least TK has other boards like getting in shape, outdoor weddings (for home party ideas for myself), babies, etc. Real life stuff. 

Do I suggest becoming sugar sweet and agreeing with everything that a SS comes in with? No, but the way some people give their advice rubs newbies the wrong way. If you look through a bunch of threads (not stating which, think that's a TOS warning), you can see newbies talking to certain people more while ignoring some of the regs. 

I have some stories to share but won't because I'm thinking someone will quote it and dig at it and make something out of it. I've seen it happen so many times, it discourages people from posting. Which is why I think these TOS changes are coming into affect. 

Advice rubs newbs the wrong way when they pretend they want advice, but actually want validation, and we don't validate them.

People, not just newbs, get rubbed the wrong way when they read a negative tone into a post that's not meant to be negative but just matter of fact, and then get defensive.

Newbs tend to ignore the people telling them their ideas are rude or their behavior is rude, and listen to the posters who appear to be validating them.

And then there are posters who are more crass and blunt with what they say.

I've been to over 30 weddings and a BM in over 10. Most of those weddings, including the most recent one I attended this weekend, had some glaring issues due to people not understanding how to properly host an event, and due to couples buying into the It's My Day mentality the wedding industry feeds them.

Most people seem to post on these boards because they enjoyed wedding planning enough to stick around after theirs was over and try to help couples plan we'll hosted events.

There are a lot of overly sensitive people who come here and aren't used to being told they are wrong, and will throw a fit and cry "bullying" no matter how nicely to tell them their idea is rude and why. No amount of TOS changes will fix those issues because those are attitude issues.

For all if the vapid validation that goes on over on WW and Wedding Bee you see the same SS behavior.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    edited May 2015
    I can't remember what thread it was at this point, but it was said that ashley got multiple warnings and I was under the impression that it was before she went out with a bang. I'm curious what those posts were. While she was "abrasive" as often put, I never saw it being uncalled for. Quick to call people out for being shitty, sure, but also supportive in other posts. It's not like she was a troll that went out of her way to be shitty to people for no reason. 

Banning people for doxxing or for harassing someone over PM is much more clear cut. 

And I agree, people get butthurt over people disagreeing with their ideas, no matter how nicely it's done. I'm on another forum that uses a rep system that is also abused, but at least it doesn't add up to bannings. 

ETA: granted, I don't wander off of CC much since getting married almost a year ago, so maybe I missed something. 
  • Options
    kkitkat79 said:

2: On which given day? There are polite days, and snarky days. Do I ever feel like someone goes too far? Sure. There's an undefinable line that can be crossed between sarcasm and meanness, between snark and shittiness, and where that line is will be different for each person.
    Somebody blew a gasket the other day because a poster suggested eloping. It wasn't rude at all, to my perception, or unkindly suggested, but to some dainty little snowflake, it was RUDE.
    Polite is a very gray area, based on individual perception, and it would be impossible to define a standard of "polite" social interaction that pleased everyone. 

If anyone feels that we need a kinder gentler Knot, nothing wrong with that. Be that kind and gentle person, and brava. Be you, if you're kind. I like nice people. 

But I also really like smartasses. And I like humor. And I enjoy the honest and sharp responses that reflect the genuine reactions of the people here. My humor might not be yours. Someone might say I'm rude, because there's no accounting for perception, and there are people who take themselves verrrrrry seriously, and my natural inclination is to poke a pin in that inflated kind of ego. 
    So if this place became all sunshine and rainbows, I'd miss the comedy. Is humor rude? Is blunt rude? Is blatant honesty rude? 

Because if all of those things went away, I would definitely enjoy my reading time less. It would suck. I'd be sad.  The community would gradually yawn itself to death. 

If "polite" is a grey area then so is etiquette and I don't think many would agree with that. Isn't it generally accepted that etiquette is exactly what you said is impossible to define - a standard of polite social interaction? There is more to etiquette than just wedding etiquette.

Polite on a forum where you are reading words on a page and can't actually use tge tone if the responders voice or their facial expressions as cues to interpret the *actual* tone of the post, is a grey area.

All you can do is assume the tone, and many, many times the reader assumes a tone that is incorrect and more negative and harsh than what the author was actually intending. A lot of people read shit into posts that just isn't there, then get all defensive and huffy. And I'm not just talking about newbs.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    After many years working customer service jobs, I've adopted the motto that Me not giving you the answer you wanted doesn't mean I didn't answer your question. 

The same can be said for TK. Me not giving you the answer you wanted doesn't mean I didn't answer your question or didn't give you a good answer. Nor does my not agreeing with you mean that I'm rude or mean or whatever else an SS thinks when I don't validate them..
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member

kkitkat79 said:

A lot of people read shit into posts that just isn't there, then get all defensive and huffy. And I'm not just talking about newbs.
    THIS.

Something about it being assumed an inflammatory sig was over some polar bear GIFs? What?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards