Chit Chat
Options

Whaaaaaat is going on here?

Re: Whaaaaaat is going on here?

• Options
    She received great advice actually, which was wonderful. But as a new person, to see someone being told 'eh, we don't know you, don't care' was disheartening. So when I was reading about the new TOS about 'negative environment' that's what came to mind. I'm not super active, so I was not aware of a flood of threads similar in nature. Anyways, just wanted to add my $0.02!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    So I have this rash. . .
    You need to have a serious talk with your SO. From what you posted, it's obvious he gave you this rash and doesn't respect you. Divorce may be the only option at this point....
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    So I have this rash. . .
    We'll need a photo before we can give proper advice
    image /creepy
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    She received great advice actually, which was wonderful. But as a new person, to see someone being told 'eh, we don't know you, don't care' was disheartening. So when I was reading about the new TOS about 'negative environment' that's what came to mind. I'm not super active, so I was not aware of a flood of threads similar in nature. Anyways, just wanted to add my $0.02!

I totally understand what you are saying and thank you for speaking up.  Even though that specific thread was pretty extreme, I would image as a newbie the "we" verse the "outsider" to be unwelcoming, .   I'm sorry you felt that way.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    @teddygirl9 - There are lots of threads on here of people looking for advice in personal situations. One of the differences being is that the people who start the threads aren't usually lurkers, they are people who have been active and have posted on the boards previously. 

I remember the one above, it was a therapy session from hell. I think most people's reaction was, WTF. She did get good advice, which she rejected and that's when she got slightly nastier comments.

For a good thread on how supportive this particular community is:

Most of the people who replied were supportive and caring. 

Edited: Because we can't link to old threads...
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

@trixiejess Absolutely! And I've read those as well, and that sense of community is great...for the regs. Do these posters have a rapport with each other? Certainly, and that would obviously mean more support for someone they know. But my point was when people are unknown they shouldn't be treated rudely or feel unwelcome. If a newbie posted that thread, and someone said 'Look, this is a non-wedding related forum on a wedding website with a bunch of people who have rapport with each other. Not sure why you're bothering to post this when you aren't part of this community' that would be very negative. One way to make sure lurkers DON'T come out of hiding and start being part of the community are things like that.

I'm not saying everyone/thread/etc is negative, very much the opposite. This particular type of thread was just what stuck out in my mind.

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    ***Removed for TOS violation***
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    So I have this rash. . .
    You need to have a serious talk with your SO. From what you posted, it's obvious he gave you this rash and doesn't respect you. Divorce may be the only option at this point....

Gauc? Is that you?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    ***Removed for TOS violation***
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    sheknows6 said:
    I have no dog in this race whatsoever, but as a general human being you don't go up to a community of strangers, online or IRL and just start unloading your personal issues.

What response would you honestly expect if the first time you met someone they started telling you their horror stories?
    Your sig is basically my face when reading that OP. 
    Ditto

I wish someone would've quoted it. Morbid curiousity and whatnot.

• Options
    KatWAG said:
    So I have this rash. . .

Gauc? Is that you?
    lol - whatever happened to her?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    sheknows6 said:
    I have no dog in this race whatsoever, but as a general human being you don't go up to a community of strangers, online or IRL and just start unloading your personal issues.

What response would you honestly expect if the first time you met someone they started telling you their horror stories?
    This. 

IRL, I don't imagine someone waltzing into a group of strangers who are talking about weddings (or babies, or classic cars, or conspiracy theories, or whatever) and start offloading their personal baggage. It's just a weird thing to do IRL and it's a weird thing to do in online communities. 

And the IRL response would likely be that this group of strangers would be like "hey...wow. that's a little beyond our scope - there might be a better place to start." The delivery may vary, but I think the way it would go down anywhere is pretty similar.

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    KatWAG said:
    So I have this rash. . .

Gauc? Is that you?
    Jesus took her to the promise land.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @JCBride2015 and others who want to publicly ask questions: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1058705/updated-tos-rumors?new=1

They should be around to answer questions for y'all.

• Options

http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1057146/sorry-i-delete-the-post

This is the more recent one. I can't find the older one I was thinking of.

"You cannot be serious with this shit. "

"This is the Chit Chat board on a wedding planning forum, with a group of posters who already have a rapport with one another for the most part. This post has nothing to do with wedding planning, and you're not really a member of the community, so it's hella weird to just walk into a random forum and just lay out all your personal problems and expect... whatever it is you're expecting"

***********BOXES!***********

I remember this message really well. 

It was an obvious troll. There was nothing even vaguely believable about it. A complete invention. 

• Options
    emmaaa said:
    @JCBride2015 and others who want to publicly ask questions: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1058705/updated-tos-rumors?new=1

Thanks for that link. I wondered when/whether they'd ever bother addressing us like adults.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    KatWAG said:
    So I have this rash. . .

Gauc? Is that you?
    We kept talking about the queers and people who had abortions and strippers in non-condemning ways.

Upset her delicate sensibilities.
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    emmaaa said:

Thanks for that link. I wondered when/whether they'd ever bother addressing us like adults.
    I'll get excited when she actually responds to the thread. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards