Chit Chat
Options

In this edition of: Really SO? Seriously?

Re: In this edition of: Really SO? Seriously?

• Options
    kmmssg said:
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:
    DH loves to leave the vacuum plugged in with the actual vacuum like 20 feet away after he is done.    IDK, how about putting it away?  Nope, he likes to just have a cord strung across the room for someone to trip over.
    But at least he uses the vacuum, right? Can beggars be choosers?
    he likes to vacuum.  Well he likes to do it about once a month.     

We have a dishwasher but haven't used in about 3-4 months now.   I hand wash everything.    If DH and I eat together I will wash his stuff too.  If we don't, I expect him to wash his own dishes.   I've been known to just pile up his stuff next to the sink to make a point.      He is much better now at washing them.

Say wha...?

You will pry my Kitchenaid diswasher from my cold dead hands.  I was in my mid 30's before I had a dishwasher - that baby isn't going anywhere.  That leads me to a couple of things about DH.

My DH can fix AN.Y.THING.  I don't call repair people, electricians (unless we are talking something that requires a permit), plumbers, car mechanics - nothing.  He can fix the washer, the dryer, the whatever, the transmission in the car, put a new engine in my car - whatever it is he can fix it - except dinner.  I kid you not, he doesn't have a culinary bone in his body.  Yeah, he can do burgers, french toast, bacon and eggs.  But a real meal?  I'd kill him before he got done because he overcomplicates everything and would literally ask me 50 questions about where do we keep this and were do keep that. 

While he is incredibly talented at fixing things, it takes a miracle for our stuff to get on the fix it schedule.  It pretty much has to be an emergency - or maybe he sees his imminent death in my eyes - to get our stuff taken care of.

That brings me to the Kitchenaid dishwasher.  That puppy is the bomb.   Requires very little to no rinsing the dishes - they come out beautiful everytime.  So, dear husband, WTF do you need to soak your ice cream bowl in the sink before it goes in my beloved dishwasher?  Hmm?

Now that it is just the two of us, it might take a little longer to fill it up (God knows our son can use 2 tons of dishes everyday but he is up at school now) but the dishwasher is still going to get used.  We have all white dishes so I don't rinse them perfectly clean - I just get the chunks off that don't need to go down the disposal.

I guarantee I own more dishes/silverware/glasses than a few of you put together.  I have a shit ton of that stuff.  We will never ever run out of anything waiting for the dishwasher to be finished.

It's just us and most of the time just me eating.   I found I often needed some sort of pan or something before the dishwasher would be full.  I'm not one to run the dishwasher unless it's full.  I find washing the dishes doesn't take too much time.   Normally I wash what I can while preparing the food.  Then as soon as I eat I wash the remaining stuff.  Later in the evening I will put all the dishes away.    It's nice that it's just all done.

Plus with the water issues and price of power in St Thomas, dishwashers were kind of unheard of down there.  So I just got use to washing by hand.

I also air dry all my clothes.      By doing that and hand washing the dishes our power bill has dropped about $20 a month.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:
    Oh my H also takes the last pop-tart or granola bar out of the box in the pantry but then LEAVES THE BOX!  Why?!  Why?  Or he takes the box out of the pantry but doesn't throw it away, rather just leaves it on the kitchen island when the trash can is right freaking there!
    At the club they do that is drives me BATTY.     Every Saturday I come into work and I have to throw a shit ton of empty boxes away.    How hard is it really to take the box out and throw it away?  Nope they leave the box so when the person who does the ordering thinks there are more items than there really is.
    This.  It really irritates me when I make a food shopping list.  I look into the pantry to see what we need.  If I see boxes I think "oh we don't need that" only to find out after I get back from the food store, that in fact, we did need it plus a bunch of other stuff.
    exactly.    DH does most of the ordering at the club.  The banquet manager told him there were no more sternos.    DH was confused because he saw some boxes on the shelf.  After further investigation there were FOUR empty sterno boxes.  FOUR.  WTF?   If you take the last one then throw the box out.   When you open the last box tell DH so he can order more.  How hard is that to understand?

The Kid does this constantly. It's usually when he's been grabbing stuff he's not supposed to (things like popsicles and cereal are not meant to be consumed by the box). It drives me crazy when I go to make dinner or pack my lunch and I realize that the food's gone. The other day I found an empty box of mac n' cheese. WTF?

DH is always mad at me because I never remember to take the tupperware out of my lunchbox until I'm repacking it the next morning. I rinse it out at work after lunch but it doesn't make it into the dishwasher until the next morning. If no one has emptied the dishwasher (The Kid's chore that I refuse to do for him), it stays in the sink until it's empty (principles here...). DH gets so annoyed when I leave it. I get super-annoyed at him because the side table by "his" side of the couch always ends up with tons of empty cups, cans, bottles, etc. I think they're similar crimes but he thinks I'm by far the worst.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    H is actually pretty anal about cleanliness, so he doesn't leave trash out, cups out, he makes sure the counters are clean, etc... BUT he refuses to believe that I do the majority of the dishes. I empty the clean dishwasher and refill it on an almost daily basis, and I hand wash all the large stuff. I usually try to get it all done before he gets home from work, so unless I point out that I did it, he never actually realizes how much I clean. When he occasionally decides to do dishes, when I have not gotten around to it yet, he complains and asks for help, as though he isn't capable of doing it all himself or doesn't think it's fair that he has to do it alone. When I point out how often I do dishes, he denies that I do more than he does. I swear he thinks the kitchen magically cleans itself. It's actually quite frustrating, considering we attempt to split most chores 50/50.

The one item he leaves out - which is totally disgusting - is a bottle of spit when he is chewing tobacco (which in itself is gross). One time there was a bottle of spit sitting on the coffee table for 3 days before he finally moved it, because I refuse to touch it. But I guess it's better than when he uses a mug and then just leaves the mug, spit and all, in the sink for me to discover later.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, dishes. 

My kitchen has no room for a dishwasher and 8 years of living alone had me perfectly comfortable with allowing a few days' worth of rinsed, nicely-stacked dishes in the sink until giving them a proper wash. 

DH lets grungy, food-filled water soak on the dishes and piles them haphazardly, which drives me nuts because it's so gross and too easy for me to break something. However, he does the dishes far more often than I do because he simply doesn't like having stuff in the sink. He's also taken it upon himself to take care of the garbage and recycling. Ironically, he puts too much stuff in the recycling that I don't think should be there--- like unrinsed plastic bowels. It's an open container, the stuff will smell until we take it outside-- yuck! 

It seems after about 1.5 years of living together now that he does most of the garbage/dish duty on a frequent basis, leaving me to tackle the bathroom on a more massive, yet less frequent basis. I can live with this. We'll see what happens when we get a bigger place next year! 

• Options
    H is actually pretty anal about cleanliness, so he doesn't leave trash out, cups out, he makes sure the counters are clean, etc... BUT he refuses to believe that I do the majority of the dishes. I empty the clean dishwasher and refill it on an almost daily basis, and I hand wash all the large stuff. I usually try to get it all done before he gets home from work, so unless I point out that I did it, he never actually realizes how much I clean. When he occasionally decides to do dishes, when I have not gotten around to it yet, he complains and asks for help, as though he isn't capable of doing it all himself or doesn't think it's fair that he has to do it alone. When I point out how often I do dishes, he denies that I do more than he does. I swear he thinks the kitchen magically cleans itself. It's actually quite frustrating, considering we attempt to split most chores 50/50.

The one item he leaves out - which is totally disgusting - is a bottle of spit when he is chewing tobacco (which in itself is gross). One time there was a bottle of spit sitting on the coffee table for 3 days before he finally moved it, because I refuse to touch it. But I guess it's better than when he uses a mug and then just leaves the mug, spit and all, in the sink for me to discover later.
    The bolded is my H.  I don't think he ever realizes the amount of work I do on a daily basis just to keep the house in order.  I think he thinks that the house just magically stays that way.  I one time got so frustrated with him regarding laundry that I asked "Do you think the magical elves come out at night and wash, dry, fold, iron and put away your clothes?"

• Options
    Dishes are hard for my fiance too.  He does them because I cook, but he doesn't "complete" them.  We do dishes by hand (tiny apartment, no dishwasher).  It's not the easiest chore, granted...  our sink only has one large well; there is a small shallow one on the right but it's almost worthless.  Additionally we have about 2.0' x 2.5' of counter space in the kitchen and that's it; so that's where the dish rack has to go.  So you have to stop and dry the dishes to make room for more b/c the dish rack can't hold everything.

Fiance hates drying anything plastic (think lids for the Pyrex dishes) and pots and pans, because I will come home to a dish rack full of plastic lids, and when I step down from our kitchen into our living area, there, sitting on the carpeted floor, are the pots and pans.  It drives me BATTY.

His "piles" also bother me.  He will pile up mail in 3-4 spots.  This is a studio apartment and we have limited horizontal surfaces.  I have asked if he can just have one pile so I don't have to look at it; I've bought him magazine files and a little "desk organizer" thing to put stuff in.  Nope. Piles.
  • Options

DH and I have a deal. I do laundry, he does dishes. :)

But, DH also piles stuff. Piles of clean laundry, piles of mail, piles of electronics, piles of books, piles of random crap. Then he gets upset when I clean, move his piles, and he can't find anything. Well, if he put them away in the first place, I wouldn't have to find a place for them and he'd know where they were!

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options

Oh man, my FI also chews and it's so gross.  He'll leave bottles in our room, in the living room etc.  I always go around and throw them all away.  But yes, bottles are much better than cups.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Dishes are hard for my fiance too.  He does them because I cook, but he doesn't "complete" them.  We do dishes by hand (tiny apartment, no dishwasher).  It's not the easiest chore, granted...  our sink only has one large well; there is a small shallow one on the right but it's almost worthless.  Additionally we have about 2.0' x 2.5' of counter space in the kitchen and that's it; so that's where the dish rack has to go.  So you have to stop and dry the dishes to make room for more b/c the dish rack can't hold everything.

Fiance hates drying anything plastic (think lids for the Pyrex dishes) and pots and pans, because I will come home to a dish rack full of plastic lids, and when I step down from our kitchen into our living area, there, sitting on the carpeted floor, are the pots and pans.  It drives me BATTY.

His "piles" also bother me.  He will pile up mail in 3-4 spots.  This is a studio apartment and we have limited horizontal surfaces.  I have asked if he can just have one pile so I don't have to look at it; I've bought him magazine files and a little "desk organizer" thing to put stuff in.  Nope. Piles.
    This sounds like my life. Dishes and piles of mail all over. After living with FI during college, I SWORE I would never live with him again unless we had a dishwasher. Fast forward to getting an apartment in NYC, and, well...a dishwasher is just a luxury that is out of the question! (But, I find myself again swearing that I will compromise on just about anything to get a dishwasher in the next apartment.) FI is alone for most of the week, so heaven knows he does not do the dishes unless I am there. Sometimes I arrive on Thursday night and see dishes I KNOW have been sitting there from when I left on Sunday. It makes me insane. He also somehow has gotten into the habit of leaving dirty food ON the dishes and then piling them in the sink. Neither of us had a garbage disposal growing up. We do not have one now. I have no idea how this habit was formed, but it is so disgusting. One time he left stuff there for so long it made the whole apartment smell and I absolutely lost it. I was gagging just trying to clean it up. About a weekend ago there was a millipede in the sink, of course, eating the food, and I told him and I thought he was going to faint. He is super afraid of multi-legged bugs. So...I'm interested to see if that has permanently fixed his habit. So. Freaking. Disgusting.

• Options
    FI switched days off with a co-worker this week. The guy's wife is having surgery so he needed to be off today, cool. They switched 5 days ago. When do I find out? Yesterday when I reminded him of XYZ that we had scheduled. 5 days ago I could have gotten it all moved to Friday (when he will actually BE off) without looking like a total flake to the other people involved. One of those things will get done now. The rest has to move to next week, which is already packed. Thanks for the heads up sugarplum.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

DH and I have a deal. I do laundry, he does dishes. :)

But, DH also piles stuff. Piles of clean laundry, piles of mail, piles of electronics, piles of books, piles of random crap. Then he gets upset when I clean, move his piles, and he can't find anything. Well, if he put them away in the first place, I wouldn't have to find a place for them and he'd know where they were!

Fiance inherited it from his dad.  His dad has three piles in the house (not counting the basement which is one mass fourth pile I guess).  His dad has a table next to 'his" chair that is piled so hi with his stuff- books, magazines, mail, newspapers- that when you sit on the couch on the other side of the table, you have to lean forward and around the pile/table to talk to him.

His had also has a pile in the kitchen.  He was given a "corner" (or took it over) and all of his food piles there- chip bags, cookie bags, bags of coffee, his phone messages, etc. 

Third pile is in their bathroom- he gets one side of the sink and he's got all 900 (only a small exaggeration) of his medicine bottles piled up over there.

He pars each pile down about one a year but none of them ever fully go away- even for a day.

ETA that when fiance lived there he REFUSED to touch anything of his father's because he would accuse people of moving things (when in reality they were just buried) so he could say with absolute certainty that he hadn't touched anything in the piles.

• Options

The bolded is my H.  I don't think he ever realizes the amount of work I do on a daily basis just to keep the house in order.  I think he thinks that the house just magically stays that way.  I one time got so frustrated with him regarding laundry that I asked "Do you think the magical elves come out at night and wash, dry, fold, iron and put away your clothes?"

I sort of hate doing it, but I've taken to telling H when I do chores. When we first got married and moved into the house, he would tell me every time he mowed the lawn. I regarded it as completely duplicate information. I can tell when he mows the lawn and since the lawn is his job (because he likes it) I don't care if it gets long or whatever. It feels like he's asking for a gold star on a simple chore.

But then he made a comment about me "doing more" around the house. It was partly true, I was really busy with a theatre show and not home a lot. But I think it was also because he didn't realize I was doing the dishes every night and sweeping the floor when it got really dirty. So I try to let him know when I complete chores and he lets me know when he does too. That way we both know what's going on and we both know we are contributing.
  • Options
    Laundry! I do the laundry and every single pocket in every single pair of pants or shorts has something in it! Lighters, pens, used tissues, granola bar wrappers, screws... I never know what I'm going to find when I check his pockets but I know it's something. And the odd time he does laundry, he either leaves it all in the dryer or throws it in a basket unfolded and lives out of the basket. When I do it everything is folded and separated into his basket or mine. I put my basket away but he refuses to put his away. I've organized his dresser more times than I can count but when I go in there the next time clothes are shoved in every which way. It drives me crazy. And groceries. I do all the grocery shopping, which also includes popping out for a couple items we're short on. I'll come home from a few days away and there will either be absolutely nothing in the house and he's been living on cereal for a week, or he's gone out and bought milk but nothing else that we desperately need. It's the biggest deal in the world if I ask him to stop on his way home from work at 3pm to pick up an essential, but it's nothing for him to ask me to go to the 24h sobeys at 1am on my way home because "that's your job". Yeah, no. Gah.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    luckya23 said:
    If I hear one more "fun fact" about submarines, fighter jets or WWII that he found on reddit I am going to smash his phone.
    This is perfect paired with your siggy!
    My thoughts exactly!

• Options
    Argh, H is just like that! He drinks tea and will just leave the tea bag in the cup rather than put it in the trash can that is six feet away. Sometimes he says he'll reuse the tea bag (and yes, on occasion he actually does) but I've found as many as four empty mugs with dried out tea bags. And yesterday we ran an errand at lunch and he had THREE half empty coffee cups in his car. He was complaining about why the makers don't make a car with three cup holders. Dude! Finish drinking the first cup before you buy another for crying out loud.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I just open the closet to put some things in the trash and what do I see?    Cans and bottles in the trash bin.  DH had some staff over last night and was the one who cleaned up after they left.  The recycling bin is RIGHT NEXT TO THE TRASH BIN.  They are actually touching each other.   WTF?  How hard is it go just put them in the correct bin?    Grrr..

anyone else have a SO vent?

It's funny, my FI is the exact opposite. He puts too much in the recycling. Like chip bags, or something random like that. "But it's plastic!" he says. lol.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    When he loads the dishwasher he never puts soap in and starts it. But I internally thank him for not doing that because he puts things in there that I've repeatedly asked him not to - wooden spoons, tongs that are so large the sprayer can't spin, pots and pans.

Takes his clothes off and puts them on the floor next to the open hamper- they are literally touching the hamper why couldn't you move your arm an inch to the left!

This is currently a touchy subject for me.
    Only chore H has to do around the house is mow the lawn. Because I absolutely refuse to do it. Not because I'm incapable, but because I literally do all the other chores and if I do it once he will never do it again.
    Maybe it's my currently pent up frustration and a little bit of rage talking, but if he happens to do something (like bring the garbage can in from the curb) and I don't immediately acknowledge it as soon as walking in from the house after work be pouts. It's like he wants me to give him a gold medal and a trophy.

Where's my gold medal and trophy for doing the dishes, going grocery shopping, striping the deck down to bare wood and restaining?
    Not kidding - he didn't notice that I spent days striping down the deck and restaining it after he got this brilliant idea to go at it with a power washer.
    Anniversary

• Options

Ok my H has the same rinsing recycling as others! He puts tuna cans and tomato sauce jars and everything in the sink first because he just swears that he knew someone who worked at a trash/recycling plant and they MUST throw out anything that has food residue on it. So he's constantly picking things out of the reclycing bin that I put there and putting them in the sink to be rinsed. I'm like omfg it's fine! I find it hard to believe the plant would just "trash" all these cans and jans if not rinsed but he insists it's true.....

He never moves something in the fridge, he only takes what is in front in sight. So every frigen time we have tacos he opens the new shredded cheese without looking if there's an open one. Or he will text me "on your way home grab sour cream for the tacos". I go out of my way to buy some and then I'll get home and be like there's an unopened container right here behind the pickles!  

• Options
    @paperpusher My husband does that, too. Not the pouting, but the announcing. I hate when he announces he has done something b/c it's obvious he expects a "Thank you for doing that" when I do almost everything with no comment. Big picture, he regularly tells me how much he appreciates how well I take care of our home, so I know he appreciates it, and I don't need play by play thank yous for each task. But since I don't need (or get) them, I don't feel he needs to solicit them when he does something. I DO thank him, so it rubs me the wrong way when he goes fishing for the kudos as if he won't get them otherwise.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    fyrchk said:
    FI gets out of the shower dripping water and walks around the bathroom. I always try to dry off a bit before stepping out so people don't think we had a baby elephant playing in the tub. But not him, he will leave literal puddles all over the place. He thinks I'm weird because I'm not turning the bathroom into waterworld every time I get out of the shower.
    lol I call H a baby bird sometimes because he'll lean into the sink to wet his hair to style it and splash tons of water all over the damn place. (Have you ever seen a baby bird splash around in water and fling it everywhere? That's what H reminds me of). So if I leave my glasses or hair brush anywhere near the sink, my glasses get tons of water stains and my hair brush gets so soaked I can't use it or it'll get my hair wet, and there's little puddles on the counter top, water on the floor, water marks on the mirror, etc. It's nuts. 

Every time I walk in and there's water everywhere I'm like "Ugh H! You baby birded the bathroom again!!" 

That reminds me of this video that had me entranced the other day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985g-9FBWaw

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    luckya23 said:
    fyrchk said:
    FI gets out of the shower dripping water and walks around the bathroom. I always try to dry off a bit before stepping out so people don't think we had a baby elephant playing in the tub. But not him, he will leave literal puddles all over the place. He thinks I'm weird because I'm not turning the bathroom into waterworld every time I get out of the shower.
    lol I call H a baby bird sometimes because he'll lean into the sink to wet his hair to style it and splash tons of water all over the damn place. (Have you ever seen a baby bird splash around in water and fling it everywhere? That's what H reminds me of). So if I leave my glasses or hair brush anywhere near the sink, my glasses get tons of water stains and my hair brush gets so soaked I can't use it or it'll get my hair wet, and there's little puddles on the counter top, water on the floor, water marks on the mirror, etc. It's nuts. 

Every time I walk in and there's water everywhere I'm like "Ugh H! You baby birded the bathroom again!!" 

That reminds me of this video that had me entranced the other day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985g-9FBWaw

That video is so cute!

My H uses hairspray (which I pointed out once was weird for a guy but he got really upset so I have since kept my mouth shut), but it annoys me because it coats the bathroom sink area with this film that has to be physically scrubbed off. This is really the reason why I insisted that he be the one who cleans the bathroom. (I'm actually very neat and low-maintenance in there).
  • Options
    I love this thread :')

Dishes are same with us, but my major 'nit pick' is towels. He leaves his WET towel on the bed after a shower AND he typically forgets to pick up the bathroom mat that's soaked.

He also didn't realize how much I do before he wakes up. Like most husbands, I'm sure he believes elves.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:

@novella1186 Well have you seen those face wash commercials?! They are to blame I tell you.

imageimage

Also I might add, these ladies look like they are having way too much fun to be washing their face. It is really not that exciting.

• Options
    AddieCake said:
    I cannot wash my face at the sink. I always do it in the shower because I hate the mess on the counter, water running down my arms and front, etc. Ugh.
    I wash my face with good ole Ivory soap in the shower.  Partly for the mess, but I do not see the need for the extra step. I'm in the shower already, my face is wet.     If I have a reason to wash it before my next shower I just use a wash cloth.   I rarely wear make-up, so that would be another reason.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards