Wedding Party
Options

BM shotgun wedding timing

Hi guys, so a little bit of background first... I had my girls take time to pick out a dress and vote on it. When they went to get to get their measurements done they notified me that that dress company is now going out of business and the girls have two weeks to get their measurement's and downpayments in and that was absolute last day. No biggie, I could I always help with the cost if need be. Well I had one BM that needed an extra push. She made me aware the last week of dress ordering that she had gotten pregnant. Alright no biggie once again, just let the bridal salon know I am sure they have dealt with this before. Im pretty chill.

Here's where it gets messy... she started asking if I was free and was trying to schedule stuff a month prior to my wedding date... I was like well I should be, thinking she wanted to just come visit. No, she wanted to plan my bridal shower and bachelorette party during the same exact weekend and they are already scheduled. I figured she was just being naive. Then the next week she ask about another weekend in the same month and I was like what it is up? Turns out that she was trying to plan her shotgun wedding the same weekend as my bridal shower and wedding shower. I put 2 and 2 together that she was trying to control my dates for her own benefit. So now she has her wedding, with the same friends invited, schedule 2 weeks prior to mine. I will have been planning/saving for this wedding for 13 months by the time I get married. And now she is going to going to do this. She recently texted me while in a meeting and I didn't get a chance to respond. And when I am not at work I have been moving into my new house. Plus I was away on a business trip last week. She just sent a message asking if I even care about her pregnancy or wedding... bottom line I am very supportive of her but think the timing of wedding is extremely inconsiderate and a bad friend move.

What should I do?

TL;DR - BM got knocked up and planning her shotgun wedding 2 weeks earlier than mine. I will have had been planning mine for 13 months and same friends are invited. I have been busy with buying a house/work/wedding. Now she thinks I don't care about her pregnancy or wedding. Pregnancy I am supportive of and wedding timing is extremely inconsiderate.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Re: BM shotgun wedding timing

• Options
    PS - I'm am on my phone and autocorrect may have screwed with my wording a little.
  • Options
    Just let her know what dates work for you, the same as you would if she weren't pregnant. If they don't work for her for whatever reason, move on. She doesn't have to host anything for you. If she insists on dates that don't work for you, tell her, "I'm sorry, but those dates don't work for me. If it isn't possible for you to do these things, I understand." And let it go.
  • Options
    So what? You get one day, she gets one day. Maybe you should be a more supportive friend towards her rather than so judgmental. 

Get over it.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    missa011missa011 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2015
    I'm also confused as to why it matters that she wanted to throw your bridal shower and bachelorette the same weekend? I had both of mine this past Saturday and it was glorious.
  • Options
    Why do no people think others can only celebrate one event during a certain amount of time?

New flash:  People can celebrate multiple events on the same day, same week or month.

True story.  Back when I was younger I went to 8-9 weddings in one year.   4 of them in about 8 weeks.   It's not a big deal.  It happens.

Your friend is bending over backwards to throw you a shower, plan her own wedding all while being pregnant.     The least you can do for her is be supportive of her wedding.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    No no, these dates were already planned and reservationa have been made by my mom and maid of honor and wanted to control them to fit her schedule.... sooo...sure bending over backwards yeah. And I have been nothing but supportive. Really the only one bc she hasn't been with/known him very long and goes through BF's like nobody''s business. I have spent my entire friendship bending over backwards for her...she took advantage of me before and I forgave her. I just wanted one day that was mine. The only friends I am inviting now have to choose between mine and hers...they can't afford to fly to both since they are so close together (same pay period) in the heart of winter.

And for all you haters..."Shotgun wedding" was her terminology not mine. And if I was in her shoes I wouldn't do this... I would have a little more respect and consideration for the one person that was always there for them.
  • Options
    She's not even involved the planning of the Shower and/or the Party.
  • Options
    klpeltie said:
    No no, these dates were already planned and reservationa have been made by my mom and maid of honor and wanted to control them to fit her schedule.... sooo...sure bending over backwards yeah. And I have been nothing but supportive. Really the only one bc she hasn't been with/known him very long and goes through BF's like nobody''s business. I have spent my entire friendship bending over backwards for her...she took advantage of me before and I forgave her. I just wanted one day that was mine. The only friends I am inviting now have to choose between mine and hers...they can't afford to fly to both since they are so close together (same pay period) in the heart of winter. And for all you haters..."Shotgun wedding" was her terminology not mine. And if I was in her shoes I wouldn't do this... I would have a little more respect and consideration for the one person that was always there for them.

You do get a day - your wedding day. Which is two weeks after hers.

Sounds to me like you want two days - your wedding day and hers. What is more important? Being supportive of a pregnant friend who wants to get married before the baby comes? Or losing an (I would imagine important, since she is in your WP) friend because you want to have your bridal shower on her wedding day?

• Options
    klpeltie said:
    She's not even involved the planning of the Shower and/or the Party.
    So is she trying to schedule her wedding for the weekend of your shower in the hopes that she attends both?    I am not understanding this. 

• Options
    klpeltie said:
    No no, these dates were already planned and reservationa have been made by my mom and maid of honor and wanted to control them to fit her schedule.... sooo...sure bending over backwards yeah. And I have been nothing but supportive. Really the only one bc she hasn't been with/known him very long and goes through BF's like nobody''s business. I have spent my entire friendship bending over backwards for her...she took advantage of me before and I forgave her. I just wanted one day that was mine. The only friends I am inviting now have to choose between mine and hers...they can't afford to fly to both since they are so close together (same pay period) in the heart of winter. And for all you haters..."Shotgun wedding" was her terminology not mine. And if I was in her shoes I wouldn't do this... I would have a little more respect and consideration for the one person that was always there for them.

That was your own damn choice to forgive someone who screwed you over and remain good friend with them. Own up to your own choices.

And you DO get ONE day! Your wedding days are not on the same day, for crying out loud! If you're so concerned that people will choose to go to her wedding over your because they can't afford to attend both, then you should send out Save the Dates and Invites ASAP.

But if you always act this entitled and spiteful towards your friends, then I could see why guests would choose the other wedding over yours. Again, get over yourself.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

klpeltie said:

No no, these dates were already planned and reservationa have been made by my mom and maid of honor and wanted to control them to fit her schedule.... sooo...sure bending over backwards yeah. And I have been nothing but supportive. Really the only one bc she hasn't been with/known him very long and goes through BF's like nobody''s business. I have spent my entire friendship bending over backwards for her...she took advantage of me before and I forgave her. I just wanted one day that was mine. The only friends I am inviting now have to choose between mine and hers...they can't afford to fly to both since they are so close together (same pay period) in the heart of winter.

And for all you haters..."Shotgun wedding" was her terminology not mine. And if I was in her shoes I wouldn't do this... I would have a little more respect and consideration for the one person that was always there for them.

First bolded - Stop being so selfish and dramatic. She was likely not trying to "control the dates" for malicious reasons as much as she knew you'd be totally unwilling to look outside of your own ego and self-absorption to be happy for her and understand that she's got her own life happening. I'd be willing to bet that you'd be irate with her if she didn't come to your shower at all. So here she is, trying to make it all work.

Second bolded - oh, yeah, sure, you sound SUPER supportive. 

Third bolded - What, exactly, is she supposed to do here? What do you think would be the best course of action for her? Should she terminate the pregnancy and break up with her fiance in order to ensure that all of the attention is on you at all times? 

You my dear are way out of line. And how dare you even have the audacity to even say such cruel things. It's the principal of the matter. She is not due til well after my wedding which is 5 months away. You just don't know her nor her track record. I am in no way shape or form mad about her pregnancy. I actually planned on knitting stuff for the baby why on plane to my honeymoon. It is in fact the timing and the fact she was irritated that I cannot go. It Has Nothing to do with the attention either. I could care less. It's about being inconsiderate to the fact that the same people are invited and will now have to choose. I also wouldn't be irate if she wasn't able to make it to the shower or party. Things come up....I understand. I work a lot and travel all the time. I am very understanding. I have been there for all of my friends in need and never judge.

You guys don't know me and that is fine. I was just looking for help/advice and it was ignorant to go to the Internet, especially when you guys don't have the full context.

Good day.
  • Options
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

klpeltie said:

klpeltie said:

First bolded - Stop being so selfish and dramatic. She was likely not trying to "control the dates" for malicious reasons as much as she knew you'd be totally unwilling to look outside of your own ego and self-absorption to be happy for her and understand that she's got her own life happening. I'd be willing to bet that you'd be irate with her if she didn't come to your shower at all. So here she is, trying to make it all work.

Second bolded - oh, yeah, sure, you sound SUPER supportive. 

Third bolded - What, exactly, is she supposed to do here? What do you think would be the best course of action for her? Should she terminate the pregnancy and break up with her fiance in order to ensure that all of the attention is on you at all times? 
    You my dear are way out of line. And how dare you even have the audacity to even say such cruel things. It's the principal of the matter. She is not due til well after my wedding which is 5 months away. You just don't know her nor her track record. I am in no way shape or form mad about her pregnancy. I actually planned on knitting stuff for the baby why on plane to my honeymoon. It is in fact the timing and the fact she was irritated that I cannot go. It Has Nothing to do with the attention either. I could care less. It's about being inconsiderate to the fact that the same people are invited and will now have to choose. I also wouldn't be irate if she wasn't able to make it to the shower or party. Things come up....I understand. I work a lot and travel all the time. I am very understanding. I have been there for all of my friends in need and never judge.

You guys don't know me and that is fine. I was just looking for help/advice and it was ignorant to go to the Internet, especially when you guys don't have the full context.

Good day.

Umm...she doesn't have to go to the shower or Bachlorette party. 

If you are talking all this smack about your BM, why on God's green earth would you invite her to be a bridesmaid? Oh I know, you needed even sides.

Good luck keeping your friendships after your wedding.

You guys are truly a sad and horrible group of individuals. I did not pick her for even sides. She was like my little sister while she was in college. I have always looked after her, defended her, and had her best interests in mind.

Like I said you guys don't know me or her, nor do you know the full context.
  • Options
    Wow. You sound incredibly judgemental of someone you call a friend.
  • Options
    klpeltie said:

You guys are truly a sad and horrible group of individuals. I did not pick her for even sides. She was like my little sister while she was in college. I have always looked after her, defended her, and had her best interests in mind. Like I said you guys don't know me or her, nor do you know the full context.
    If that's the case, don't stop now that she is pregnant and getting married. So some mutual friends might choose to go to her wedding, so what? It's not a competition, you will still be married. Chill. 

Also, if you don't want people to "use" you, don't let them. No one is holding a gun to your head, right?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Do people still use that term 'shotgun wedding?' I grew up in the '70s and remember older women  talking about shotgun weddings and counting the months between weddings and babies. Those small minded women were pretty snide.

klpeltie - your friend gets one day for her wedding, you get one day. If she chooses to get married on the date of your shower, there's nothing you can do about it. Some of your  friends in common will probably choose to attend her wedding over your shower.  That's what I would do. If you can't change the shower date, then you'll have to accept that you will get some declines. 

• Options
    Be there for your friend and support her!! If the situation is how you describe, she really needs a good friend. If she is feeling pressured to get married because she is pregnant, I'm imagining she needs a lot of support and long talks from a good friend.

Her wedding has no impact on yours and vise versa. She isn't getting married before you because it's a competition.

As for your shower or bach, it sounds like your friend is trying to be as considerate as possible to your plans, and trying to schedule around your plans.

Please take a step back and put yourself in your friends' shoes. It sounds like she just wants you to be there for her, and support her.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards