Chit Chat
Options

Moving Without a Job Lined Up? (long-ish)

2»

Re: Moving Without a Job Lined Up? (long-ish)

• Options
    sarahufl said:
    I was moving to NYC years ago but didn't want to get an apartment without a job. Because, you know, it costs a fortune to live here.

What I did do was list my best friend's address on my resume (she was already living in NYC at the time). Which immediately got me calls vs. zero responses before then.

I said vaguely that I was in the process of transitioning, so I had 2 apartments at the time (1 here and 1 in Florida), which is why I needed a few days before I could come for the interview.

I was hired for that job and told them I needed to give notice at the other job, so I had 3 weeks to actually move and get settled. Probably not THE MOST HONEST way to do it, but it worked for me.
    This is what I would do.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    I was moving to NYC years ago but didn't want to get an apartment without a job. Because, you know, it costs a fortune to live here.

What I did do was list my best friend's address on my resume (she was already living in NYC at the time). Which immediately got me calls vs. zero responses before then.

I said vaguely that I was in the process of transitioning, so I had 2 apartments at the time (1 here and 1 in Florida), which is why I needed a few days before I could come for the interview.

I was hired for that job and told them I needed to give notice at the other job, so I had 3 weeks to actually move and get settled. Probably not THE MOST HONEST way to do it, but it worked for me.
    This is what I would do.
    Me too. And I agree with @julieanne912 - Yelp skews negative. And the Pacific Northwest is awesome (biased Portlander here). Don't NOT move just because you are worried about getting a job... You shouldn't stay somewhere you are not happy indefinitely because of fear. Just my two cents.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My friend (the one with the futon) said I could use his address while looking for work. I don't have the type of job where I can simply jet off for an interview with only a few days' notice (nor do I want to spend that much money on airfare every time I have an interview), but it's something to consider if I head out there.

I'm definitely weighing all the pros and cons. Over and over and over. :)

I really do appreciate all the feedback.
  • Options
    My friend (the one with the futon) said I could use his address while looking for work. I don't have the type of job where I can simply jet off for an interview with only a few days' notice (nor do I want to spend that much money on airfare every time I have an interview), but it's something to consider if I head out there.

I sent out a bunch of resumes before I got called for an interview. Then, once I got that interview, I reached out to 2 other places I had applied and told them I would be in town and would like to stop by just to get more info or to meet people.

Turns out the job I actually ended up getting wasn't even planning to start their interview process for another week but they agreed to schedule something for me while I was there. That way, I combined interviews into one trip (paid for with frequent flyer miles!) instead of getting a call the next week and having to make a second trip.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

I sent out a bunch of resumes before I got called for an interview. Then, once I got that interview, I reached out to 2 other places I had applied and told them I would be in town and would like to stop by just to get more info or to meet people.

Turns out the job I actually ended up getting wasn't even planning to start their interview process for another week but they agreed to schedule something for me while I was there. That way, I combined interviews into one trip (paid for with frequent flyer miles!) instead of getting a call the next week and having to make a second trip.
    That's something I'm considering as well. I'm going to be there for a week in March, so I figured I'd try to line up some interviews that week.

Also, a company I worked for for several years (and left on Very Good terms) has one of their major offices out there. They are *always* hiring. I see ads for one of my previous positions every month. I know they do phone interviews, so I plan to apply once I get closer to the point where I can afford to keep paying rent on my place if I can't sublet it, probably March-ish, right around the time I plan to head out for (possible) interviews and evaluating which areas I'd like to live/work in.

So I feel pretty positive about this now. Scared, but positive. :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards