Chit Chat

Moving Without a Job Lined Up? (long-ish)

wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited November 2015 in Chit Chat
I've been considering moving to my favorite city (other than Chicago) for some time now. The city I have an eye on has only 3% unemployment, and I've been watching the jobs on Indeed.com. I find about 25-30 jobs I'm qualified for every day.

Unfortunately, many of them say "local candidates only", and those that don't... well... it would be very expensive to keep flying out for interviews (plus I don't want to keep asking for personal days). Once it becomes time to start applying for jobs, I suppose I could ask if they'd be willing to do a phone or Skype interview. I don't plan to move until next spring/summer, as my lease won't be up until July.

I have about 7-9 months' worth of "expense money" saved up, meaning I could be unemployed for that long before the money ran out, not that I plan to be, of course.

Do you think it's stupid to move to this new city and look for a job? The idea TERRIFIES me, because a job = safety net. On the other hand, I do have enough money to survive for several months, and I sincerely doubt it will take me that long to find a job, considering my resume and experience (office work and call centers). Even during the worst recession periods, I've been able to find jobs within just a few weeks. The longest I've ever been unemployed is six weeks, and that was because I lived in a town that had very few jobs that didn't involve nursing or trucking.

I keep waffling on this. It's been my dream to move to that city since 2007, the first time I vacationed there. I have a few friends in the area, including my best friend, which will make the transition much more comfortable, and one friend offered to let me crash for the first few weeks to help me save money. He's confident I'll be able to find a job within that first month. If not, I can always switch to a monthly Airbnb (much cheaper than a weekly/monthly hotel rate).

Have any of you done anything like this?

Advice, please. :) Thanks. 

Re: Moving Without a Job Lined Up? (long-ish)

• Go for it.  Really, if you didn't find anything right away and needed to do some retail/restaurant PT work to stretch out your savings, you could make it work.  Really, if it doesn't work out, you could always move back to where you are now.  

I sometimes think that by getting married and living where I do, I've limited myself in some ways.  Both DH and I have great jobs, and the thought of up and moving somewhere is hard.  I'd lose a great salary, good job and pension, which is hard to do.  Sometimes I wish we had more flexibility to just up and leave.

• I'm not opposed to doing pizza delivery again. :) I did that during college and liked it. It would be a great "backup" until I found something full-time.

Plus, there are always temp jobs. Stuff like that would prevent me from dipping into savings while looking for something permanent. The rub is that it's hard to interview when you're working 8-5 at a temp job, as you often can't take personal days or call in during the first X number of days.
  • A friend of mine recently moved to a major city with no job lined up. She works in a competitive field and has not found a job yet, but she'd saved up enough to live there for a year without income and is right on target financially. Despite the tough job hunt, she's really enjoying living there and getting to know the city.

Like pp said, just having the ability to be able to do that is rare and you should take advantage of it! You have a promising job market and a support network already in place. Do it up.
  • I did it when I moved to Texas. But I'll work anywhere while trying to find a job in my field. You may have trouble finding a place to,set without a job, this is happening to my friend who relocated with a years salary saved and the offer to prepay rent.
  • I moved to Boston without having a job. I had some money saved up, got a roommate (so rent was less) and temped until I found a full time job. 10 years later, I am still here. It was hard at first, but It was the right decision for me.
  • I also moved to Boston without a job... my bf (now H) moved here to get his PhD and rented an apartment for us. I temped for awhile, then had a reaaaallly shitty job that i was overqualified for for about 6 months, and then landed a job with the company I'm at now which I absolutely love. It was stressful not having a FT job for the first few months but if I had to do it all over again I definitely would. 
  • I think it depends on why you are wanting to move and will you potentially regret it if it takes longer to get on your feet than you think. Having friends in the area would help, not only with potential job connections but having that sort of safety net although I'd be afraid of friendships being affected if I crashed at someone's place too long. Sometimes I wish I'd done something like that but I know now I never could. Some people do it and flourish.  Here are some "devil's advocate" questions/thoughts I have:

Would you be able to find a place to rent w/o a steady job? If not, would the long term air bnb thing be sustainable?

are those 7-9 months of expenses your only safety net? What happens if you had a big car or health issue, would you still have money for those or would it come out of your expense money?

• PP's have great suggestions, and things to think about/weigh your options...

But my gut reaction to your post?  Go for it!  
  • I would do it. Sounds like you have thought it through well, researched job market, have the savings (which will grow in the next 6 months). I did it when I was younger and really wasn't that prepared but I had my brother's place to live for free so that made a huge difference.

• 5 years ago I moved from NYC to Boston without a job. Butttt I'm from the Boston suburbs so it was like I was moving home. In fact, I did move into my mom's house for 3 months while I was looking for a job. I didn't think it would take 3 months, but it did. Once I had a job (same one I still have now) I moved out into an apt with a roommate, later met DH, bought a house in our hometown, etc.

Even though NY is amazing, I knew I wanted to move.. it became all I could think about. I loved my job there too but my desire to move eventually pushed me to quit when the time was right. Moving, even though I didn't have a job, was a very good decision for me at that time. I would say for you to go ahead and do it -- take your friend up on their offer to crash at their place for however long. 

Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I moved to the islands without a job, a place to live, didn't know anyone and move on my own.  

Best thing choice I ever made.   Like you, I had a expenses for 6-8 months saved.    I was able to find a job within a week.  I ended up hating that job, but it paid the bills. I actually quit that job after 12 months and worked 3 part-time jobs instead.   3 months later I found my dream job and I never looked back.  I still kept the part-time jobs for a while because I like them and the extra money.

Yes it is scary, but I knew I was a good worker and could always work in retail or restaurants (which I ended up doing).  I also knew if I didn't like it I could always just move back.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited November 2015
    I'm idly curious why some job posts would be "local candidates only" but between dozens of posts and friends in the area, and your financial safety net, go for it.

Like a PP said, I'd never do it myself, but I admire people who do!  

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    I'm idly curious why some job posts would be "local candidates only" but between dozens of posts and friends in the area, and your financial safety net, go for it.

In the islands (and here in the mountains) it sometimes has to do with housing.   Affordable housing is hard to find.  A non-local might not show up because they can't find housing.

They have also been burned by non-locals not showing up because they get scared to actually move.     Or the non-local gets home sick or doesn't actually like the area and moves within a few months.

In theory, a local has housing and knows the deal about living and working in the area.   

Trust me, living in a remote place like the islands or the mountains is not for everyone.    It's seems all great when you visit, but living in those places is not as easy as you would think.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Sounds exciting!  And, like others said, you can always get PT work right off the bat to help stretch your savings while you look for a permanent spot.
    Married 9.12.15
  • edited November 2015

We just went through the hiring process and, honestly, we didn't put much consideration into out of town applicants.  We needed someone that was able to start immediately.  We interviewed on Monday & Tuesday, offered the job on Wednesday, and had her start Monday, so from interview to start was only a week. Taking time to move across country doesn't usually allow for a very quick start. We would have considered someone out of town that was highly qualified though.

Also, we had the concern about what if the person didn't work out?  I'd hate to have someone pick up and move across country and then find out that they really aren't a good fit for our company or able to do the job we had expected. 

Now, for the originally question, it sounds like you are prepared with backup funds, so go for it.  I would probably start applying for jobs a month or two before you plan to move, because you may find something and not have to worry about moving without a job lined up.

• teddygirl9teddygirl9 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2015

AFAIK when jobs request local candidates only they don't want to pay your expenses for moving. We will sometimes move candidates at our own expense, but usually that phrase means that you're responsible for any costs incurred IF you were to move for that job.

But I think you should go for it! One of the girls in my office is doing this now. She got her visa for England and is moving there after xmas and will be crashing with friends until she gets a job. She really wanted to have a job in place before committing to an apartment.

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Curious what the city is that you're looking at moving to?

Married 9.12.15
  • It seems like it is something you have always dreamt of and really want to do. It could be such a positive change for you. I would personally be too chicken shit to do it but I don't have the type of savings it seems like you do. Like PPs said, you could always pick up a PT job or something to make some income in the interim. 

• This sounds like something you have always wanted to do and that you also want a new place to start over.  7-9 months of expenses sound like a good starting point.  But is the cost of living in your new area similar or better than Chicago? 

I lurk over on the Money Matters board on GBCN on Proboards.  They have lots of helpful hints and will go over a budget for you.  Since you would be staying in Chicago until at least July, go over there and present your current budget to them and tell them how you plan to live for x amount of months with no job.  They should be able to tell you how to save further now, if necessary, to save up even more money for expenses over a longer period than 9 months.

• I'm dealing with the same thing.  Sixteen years ago I moved from Houston to NYC for exactly this reason.  Last year I moved from NYC back to Houston for financial reasons, but I badly want to move back to NYC.  In order for me to live there, I need a job, and I sent out applications when I was there two weeks ago.  One of them actually called me back. 

I'd go for it.

• I say go for it. Unless you are in a very specific niche career, you'll find something. It seems like you've done your research.
  • I moved to my current city without a permanent job... I had worked for a very small non-profit before moving, and I gave the director 6 months' notice that I was planning on moving. She offered to let me work from home from my new city for two months after the move, and I had no trouble finding a job during that time.

I say go for it. You have a financial cushion, and if you really want to live in this new city, you shouldn't let the fear of having to find a job stop you. Otherwise, you'll be stuck somewhere you don't want to be forever!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm also on "go for it" team.  I moved from So. CA to New Orleans shortly after I graduated from college, with no job lined up.  I wanted to experience a different part of the country and figured, "Hey, why not now.  I'm in a new chapter in my life and have to find a job anyway."  One of the best decisions I have made.

I didn't even have that much money saved, lol.  Though the job market/economy across the country was pretty decent at the time.  I was also young and single.  No bills, other than my new rent, utilities and food.

I wouldn't do that again at this stage in my life without having to endure huge amounts of saving and planning.  BTW, still here in NOLA over 15 years later.  Albeit with some caveats, I am glad to have made it my home. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Curious what the city is that you're looking at moving to?

The greater Seattle area. I'd be happy with anything from Everett to Olympia/Tacoma. I know the actual city of Seattle is suuuuuuper expensive, so that's why I say "the Seattle area". It adds flexibility to the budget and whatnot.

Thanks for all the feedback. I asked the same question on Yelp, and most people there provided lots of arguments against. Most of you are telling me to go for it. Haha. :) 

I think what I'll do is apply my pants off and see how many places are willing to do phone/Skype interviews. I will make it abundantly clear that I plan to pay for my relocation and have friends in the area and, yes, this is a permanent move. I'm not sure if they'll trust that I won't chicken out and get homesick. Perhaps I'll describe, in detail, how much I hate Midwest winters (kidding).

Maybe I'll luck out and get something, and then this will all be moot. :) 
  • Curious what the city is that you're looking at moving to?

The greater Seattle area. I'd be happy with anything from Everett to Olympia/Tacoma. I know the actual city of Seattle is suuuuuuper expensive, so that's why I say "the Seattle area". It adds flexibility to the budget and whatnot.

Thanks for all the feedback. I asked the same question on Yelp, and most people there provided lots of arguments against. Most of you are telling me to go for it. Haha. :) 

I think what I'll do is apply my pants off and see how many places are willing to do phone/Skype interviews. I will make it abundantly clear that I plan to pay for my relocation and have friends in the area and, yes, this is a permanent move. I'm not sure if they'll trust that I won't chicken out and get homesick. Perhaps I'll describe, in detail, how much I hate Midwest winters (kidding).

Maybe I'll luck out and get something, and then this will all be moot. :) 
    I find people on Yelp to be negative in general.  That's why I take Yelp reviews with a grain of salt... because most of them are written by people trying to find something wrong with a place.

Good luck!  I've done a few cross country moves myself, and I think it's exciting, even if it is a bit scary.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Wow I'm surprised how split the responses have been (well factoring in people saying they wouldn't do it themselves as a "no") because as I was reading your post I was thinking this was a no-brainer! There are tons of jobs you are qualified for, you have enough money to give yourself a fairly comfortable buffer and you can always get something part time/hourly to make ends meet if you start to get close to your limit. Having friends as an added support system is just an added bones.

100% go for it, I'd do it in a heartbeat and I don't consider myself adventurous at all. There's something to be said for willing your life to take the form you want it to.
  • Yeah, I'm just so scared "something" is going to happen. I'm generally an optimist, so this is a weird feeling. My friends know me as the adventurous, impulsive one. :)

I used to move around all the time, when I was young and broke and didn't have credit cards for emergencies. I don't know why I feel so different this time. I think it's because I worked so hard to clean up my credit and get myself on solid footing. I don't want that to go away because of a (potentially) stupid decision. I just bought a new car; I don't want it to be repossessed, especially if I run out of money and have to live in it. ;) 
  • Yeah, I'm just so scared "something" is going to happen. I'm generally an optimist, so this is a weird feeling. My friends know me as the adventurous, impulsive one. :)

I used to move around all the time, when I was young and broke and didn't have credit cards for emergencies. I don't know why I feel so different this time. I think it's because I worked so hard to clean up my credit and get myself on solid footing. I don't want that to go away because of a (potentially) stupid decision. I just bought a new car; I don't want it to be repossessed, especially if I run out of money and have to live in it. ;) 

You probably feel differently now because you have more experience in the world and are more aware of the consequences, if something were to go wrong.  I, too, was adventurous and impulsive.  I always joke that if I hadn't traveled like I did when I was younger, I'd be retired right now (I'm only 34.) 

I once had my BFF call me and tell me her travel companion to Belguim can't make it now, did I want to come?  I said sure!  I had less than 2 weeks notice.  Would I do that now?  No!  I have a job and need to give more notice for vacations and even need to track how I use the vacation days I'm given.  I also have a house, dog, and other financial responsibilities to take care of.

But you have a financial plan and you even have a support system in Seattle.  I think you are working through this potential move cautiously, but smartly. 

• I was moving to NYC years ago but didn't want to get an apartment without a job. Because, you know, it costs a fortune to live here.

What I did do was list my best friend's address on my resume (she was already living in NYC at the time). Which immediately got me calls vs. zero responses before then.

I said vaguely that I was in the process of transitioning, so I had 2 apartments at the time (1 here and 1 in Florida), which is why I needed a few days before I could come for the interview.

I was hired for that job and told them I needed to give notice at the other job, so I had 3 weeks to actually move and get settled. Probably not THE MOST HONEST way to do it, but it worked for me.
  • sarahufl said:
    I was moving to NYC years ago but didn't want to get an apartment without a job. Because, you know, it costs a fortune to live here.

What I did do was list my best friend's address on my resume (she was already living in NYC at the time). Which immediately got me calls vs. zero responses before then.

I said vaguely that I was in the process of transitioning, so I had 2 apartments at the time (1 here and 1 in Florida), which is why I needed a few days before I could come for the interview.

I was hired for that job and told them I needed to give notice at the other job, so I had 3 weeks to actually move and get settled. Probably not THE MOST HONEST way to do it, but it worked for me.
    I let my best friend do this when she was trying to transition to the city from a few hours away. I think it works pretty well because it calms some fears about people moving, if they've got an address they're pretty serious. It was also partly factual because she would crash with us when she was in the city. But I think it looks better than just listing an out of state address. Especially when few people actually use the physical address for anything anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards