Chit Chat
Options

College football bowl games

Is anyone else following the college football games? I don't follow college football much during the regular season, but I always get sucked into the bowl games. One of my dad's friends organizes a pool every year, and everyone in our family plays. So we end up yelling at the TV over teams we don't care about.

Any predictions?

Re: College football bowl games

• Options
    Nope. Once I left Texas, I no longer had to pretend to care about football. ;) 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    It's funny, I actually follow college football all throughout the season and then bail on bowl games. So we are opposite. Ha.

My team basically never makes it, so I have a hard time watching and pretending to cheer for teams I wouldn't ordinarily like. Lol

• Options

It's funny, I actually follow college football all throughout the season and then bail on bowl games. So we are opposite. Ha.

My team basically never makes it, so I have a hard time watching and pretending to cheer for teams I wouldn't ordinarily like. Lol

Who's your team? I went to a Div 3 school, so my team obviously isn't in it. But my sister is TCU and my mom is Arizona State, so I'm going for them for sure.

I'm mad right now that UNC lost. I had good points on them.
  • Options
    My team already played their bowl game (and won!) but I will definitely be following the remainder of the big games. There are waaaaaay too many bowl games in general but we basically have them on constantly in the background this time of year, and my in-laws will def. have watching parties for the actual playoff/National Championship games.
  • Options

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Not too much, only teams that interest us is all we watch. . DH and I are going to the Fiesta Bowl, very excited for that. The chance to see our hometown team (Ohio State) play close to our home now is priceless!
  • Options
    It's funny, I actually follow college football all throughout the season and then bail on bowl games. So we are opposite. Ha. My team basically never makes it, so I have a hard time watching and pretending to cheer for teams I wouldn't ordinarily like. Lol
    Who's your team? I went to a Div 3 school, so my team obviously isn't in it. But my sister is TCU and my mom is Arizona State, so I'm going for them for sure. I'm mad right now that UNC lost. I had good points on them.
    The Tennessee Volunteers is my team, and I just heard that they are playing on New Year's Day! Yipee!! I will definitely be tuning into that one.

• Options
    We watched UNC play Baylor last night. I'm glad they lost.

I'll watch the Belk bowl (NC State and Mississippi State) play this afternoon. Go Pack!

Then I'll definitely watch the Orange bowl and pull for Clemson.

• Options
    emmaaa said:

We watched UNC play Baylor last night. I'm glad they lost.

I'll watch the Belk bowl (NC State and Mississippi State) play this afternoon. Go Pack!

Then I'll definitely watch the Orange bowl and pull for Clemson.

Considering Baylor didn't have a QB, I picked UNC to win. I'm currently in 9 th in our pool (35 people).

Today's games don't seem to have a clear favorite, so I'm curious what happens.
  • Options
    I've been watching most of them. We went to the Armed Forces Bowl yesterday and I've been back and forth on going to the Cotton Bowl. H thinks it will be easier to enjoy in front of the TV with a pizza! He's probably right. We try to go to one bowl game a year. Last year it was the Holiday Bowl, since H went to both schools that played.

• Options
    I went to the Orange Bowl 2 years ago when Clemson played Ohio State (and won).    I'm jealous because some of our members are OK fans and are flying out to the Orange Bowl tomorrow.  Just for the game.  Then flying back to make it here for the NYE fireworks.    I secretly wanted to ask if they had room in the private plane.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @lyndausvi ,I picked Clemson .... I need a win to stay in the running!
  • Options
    I'm bummed that I have to be at work at 4:45.   More than likely not seeing the end.

• Options
    I was asking DH about this earlier today, since it was all over the airport tvs.  Who plays in each bowl??  Is it the same teams every year, or is it different divisions/rankings??   I know nothing about US college football

• Options

I was asking DH about this earlier today, since it was all over the airport tvs.  Who plays in each bowl??  Is it the same teams every year, or is it different divisions/rankings??   I know nothing about US college football

I couldn't explain it, either. There's a committee that decides rankings based on several factors. Depending on your ranking and other things (I have no clue), you get invited to a bowl game. The big ones are on NYE and New year day. And the national championship is in a few weeks, based on who wins the semi finals tonight
  • Options
    @scribe95 - YES.... so looking forward to ND / Ohio St.  I'm torn on whom to pick.  I picked Michigan State for this game .... if (when!) they win, that will REALLLLLLY help me in my bowl pool picks!!!
  • Options
    I couldn't explain it, either. There's a committee that decides rankings based on several factors. Depending on your ranking and other things (I have no clue), you get invited to a bowl game. The big ones are on NYE and New year day. And the national championship is in a few weeks, based on who wins the semi finals tonight
    It IS different teams in each bowl every year though, just to be clear. For example, last year Georgia Tech played Mississippi State in the Orange Bowl- today is was Clemson and Oklahoma. Sometimes certain conferences have ties to certain bowls- an ACC team usually (not always) plays in the Orange Bowl, for example.

It's super complicated though, and a lot of people think it's a bad system. Some people want to see it go towards a more traditional play-off system (there's a very small play-off now, but even that is new).
  • Options
    I don't usually follow any sports, but, hey, Iowa is playing in the Rosebowl!  I'm a Hawkeye graduate, so I will watch!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    I don't usually follow any sports, but, hey, Iowa is playing in the Rosebowl!  I'm a Hawkeye graduate, so I will watch!
    Hawkeye graduate here too! I will be watching the game, but I am pretty ready for football season to be over. Not a big sports fan, but it's a big day for the Hawkeyes, I guess!
  • Options
    Woohoo   CLEMSON!!!!

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Woohoo   CLEMSON!!!!
    Yayyyyyyyy!!
    Do you think they can beat Alabama?
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Woohoo   CLEMSON!!!!
    Yayyyyyyyy!!
    Not sure, but I think it will be a good close game.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:
    Woohoo   CLEMSON!!!!
    Yayyyyyyyy!!
    Not sure, but I think it will be a good close game.
    I picked Clemson, but I also picked Mich State (wishful thinking!). So I'm behind in thw pool.
  • Options
    Not a big football watcher but I follow MSU from the people I work with.  That was a sad sad sad night.  We will still welcome them home like heroes and move on to basketball and Coach Izzo.
  • Options
    kmmssg said:
    Not a big football watcher but I follow MSU from the people I work with.  That was a sad sad sad night.  We will still welcome them home like heroes and move on to basketball and Coach Izzo.
    They showed so much promise in the first quarter!   :(
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    I wasn't routing for AL (do not like them), but figured they would win.  I had hope for MSU when late in the 2nd quarter there was no score by either team.    Sadly that faded in the 2nd half.

ETA - I had to work last night.  We had the game on in the bar.   I may or may not have gone into the bar area to "check up" on some guests as a ruse to check out the score.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

I wasn't routing for AL (do not like them), but figured they would win.  I had hope for MSU when late in the 2nd quarter there was no score by either team.    Sadly that faded in the 2nd half.

ETA - I had to work last night.  We had the game on in the bar.   I may or may not have gone into the bar area to "check up" on some guests as a ruse to check out the score.

I would've, too. We have all 3 games on now. I picked ND and am hoping they show up soon
  • Options
    Of course. I'll a college football junkie. My team won their friendly today...it feels like the bowl games don't matter since the playoffs were added, but still love the post season.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

Of course. I'll a college football junkie. My team won their friendly today...it feels like the bowl games don't matter since the playoffs were added, but still love the post season.

Who's your team?

We are bowl game junkies.

• Options

Who's your team?

We are bowl game junkies.

The ones on your laptop :smiley:
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards