Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Re: .

• Options
    OK I see that technically you aren't truly B listing if you are sending all the invites out at the same time as you stated in one of your posts. However, you are banking on the people that said they can't come not coming. Make sure you can accommodate them if they end up coming. I think you have a list of people that have to be there and a list of people that you would like to have there if it were a perfect world. We did that with DD's wedding. The second list was very short but we never used it (as in sending their invites at the same time as the first list) because we felt comfortable with the numbers on original list. I had to talk now SIL out of inviting a friend a week or so before the wedding because we had quite a few declines.

I will say we had some family members that we absolutely knew weren't going to attend due to severe health reasons, but we sent them an invitation because they would have been hurt not to receive one.
  • Options
    Our venue asks you to pay for empty seats- we are getting married in a city and it's not that uncommon.  Let's forget that for a second though, it is a decision I made knowingly and willingly.  I don't need a lecture on it.  Did it ever cross anyone's mind that I want to fill up the seats?  We chose a number that seemed ideal- we are trying to reach it.  So I just have 40% less people because of B list taboos?  Seriously? 
  • Options
    Out of curiosity for those who think B lists are extremely rude- what would you do if you were in my spot?  We are getting married where we live, because we love it here and luckily it is as central as it can be between the two families.  Bottom line- it was gonna be far trip for people no matter what (one side or the other), so we chose the middle.  So here's the predicament, people are more likely to say NO to a wedding that is far away- I get it, more travel time & more expensive.  We knew our NOs would likely be higher than average- yet it seemed irresponsible to over-invite.  We chose a venue that was a comfortable size for us.  Now let's just 40% of people say NO (which is what its looking like)- you suggest we just leave the venue partially empty?  Again, no matter what it would be a far distance for people so the NO factor would be relevant regardless of location.  And please don't say a bigger venue, because we are happy with the size.

Yup. Where does the rule exist that a wedding venue must be full to capacity? 
    --

• Options
    40% is a lot when you are talking about a relatively small wedding. Let's say hypothetically it goes from 100 to 60- I'm saying I would want to fill those 40 spots if I could.  The difference is big. 
  • Options
    We invited 85, only 57 were able to come.  Of course I wish those people had been able to come, but it was actually nice having such a (relatively) small wedding.

SaveSave
  • Options
    We aren't registered and are asking for charity donations instead of gifts.  No one in my life is a prop- why would anyone say that?  This entire thread makes me sad.  I want to have a wedding surrounded by people I love.  If some people can't come, I'd like to add more people I love, it's really quite simple. 

• Options
    Not charity donations to us, to a charity of their choice.  If this is rude then I'm wasting my time here because that is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Not charity donations to us, to a charity of their choice.  If this is rude then I'm wasting my time here because that is ridiculous.
    It's always rude, regardless of where the money goes, to ask for cash. You don't get to dictate how people spend their money. If you want to donate to a charity, then when people ask where you're registered you tell them that you're not registered that you're saving to donate to a charity. 
  • Options
    The reason that this is considered rude is because you shouldn't be asking for donations/gifts. If people choose to give you a gift that is fine but you shouldn't be telling them exactly what to give (a donation). I know it is a fine line between that and a registry. A registry gives people ideas of things you want while not telling them exactly what to buy.
    To me, it would be like assigning registry items to specific individuals, in a way.
  • Options
    The reason that this is considered rude is because you shouldn't be asking for donations/gifts. If people choose to give you a gift that is fine but you shouldn't be telling them exactly what to give (a donation). I know it is a fine line between that and a registry. A registry gives people ideas of things you want while not telling them exactly what to buy.
    To me, it would be like assigning registry items to specific individuals, in a way.
    Excellent analogy, @DrillSergeantCat. Glad you've been so active recently.

• Options
    DD's venue could hold up to 400. We had 150ish. No problem!
  • Options
    "What we really want is all of our friends and family together for our big day, your presence is our present!  For the traditional gift-giver, a contribution to your favorite charity in our honor is a wonderful way to commemorate our special day"- this is not bossy.  Or rude.  I literally own a business that specializes in gifts and home interiors.  I'm fairly certain people know where to buy me gifts from if they want to.
  • Options
    Guys, I think the point is pretty clearly that she wants to host as many of her loved ones as possible, so if people can't come, she'd like to have the opportunity to have other loved ones in their absence.
  • Options
    geebee908 said:
    Guys, I think the point is pretty clearly that she wants to host as many of her loved ones as possible, so if people can't come, she'd like to have the opportunity to have other loved ones in their absence.
    I think that can be said of every bride and groom; however, reality comes into play. Either venue max or budget max dictates how many people to invite. It doesn't make B listing any less rude.
    Or over-inviting any less risky.

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but let's not act like she's worried about what photos of her half empty room will look like.
  • Options
    "What we really want is all of our friends and family together for our big day, your presence is our present!  For the traditional gift-giver, a contribution to your favorite charity in our honor is a wonderful way to commemorate our special day"- this is not bossy.  Or rude.  I literally own a business that specializes in gifts and home interiors.  I'm fairly certain people know where to buy me gifts from if they want to.
    Where are you planning on placing that?
    Obviously, but then she should have booked a venue that could hold everyone she wants to invite instead of ranking her guests in order of importance. 
  • Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    Honestly? If you put on your website that you wanted me to donate to charity, I wouldn't do it. I would not write you a check, or write a check for your charity of choice. I donate quite a lot and with unwavering frequency, and I donate to the charities of my choice.

If I knew that the money I gifted you would not be used by you as the gift I intended it to be and would instead go to an organization not of my choosing, you would get no money from me.

You took that choice away.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    You people are nuts.  I cannot imagine how you have spun giving to charity into a negative thing- really, I just can't.  Not everyone has an angle (grabbing for gifts, using people as props, not wanting photographs of an empty room)- it's a little disheartening that's where everyone goes, to the worst possible version of a million possibilities.  I'm done entertaining this.  I look forward to coming back to this post after my wedding and laughing.  So ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards