Wedding Woes
Options

Let's share our pet peeves

Re: Let's share our pet peeves

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I should really just say my mil is my pet peeve. She's not mean but she annoys the piss out of me. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2016
    6fsn said:
    I should really just say my mil is my pet peeve. She's not mean but she annoys the piss out of me. 
    She's my pet peeve too and I don't have to deal with her. 

Another pet peeve of mine...FIL saying he wants to get a laundry list of shit done, but expecting DH to come over and help him with it.  Uh, we have a fuck-ton of shit to do around our own home, plus jobs and kids.  And DH only gets one full day off where he (normally) doesn't have to work (he works Sun-Thus night, so he's coming off work Fri morning and going into work Sun night, so Saturday is the only day where he's not going on or coming off work).  So stop smoking weed all.the.fucking.time (no judgment on smoking, but it does inhibit motivation) and fucking so something. 

Also, he's bitching to everyone but us that he's tired of coming to our house.  A) Tell us.  Call us to make plans at your house!  Whatever! and B ) we're 4 people and you're 1 person (plus dog).  You never have food in your house.  And all we do is sit and watch what you decide we're going to watch on TV.  So yeah, we prefer our place.  And FIL's presence doesn't stop us from getting stuff done. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Anyone who announces that they're leaving social media or 'taking a break' from it annoy me.   Anyone who cares about you will know how to find out offline. 

I have a kooky ex-coworker who always posts when she's 'taking a break' from FB in case 'anyone is looking for her'.  All of her FB breaks last less than two days...and are usually less than a day.  That's the least of the crazy shit she posts on FB.  She's a nice person, but I just wonder about her.  Her only child is about to head off to college and that's probably going to be big drama once he's gone (to an in-state school and just over an hour from the area).  I wonder if he thinks (knows?) his mom is crazy?  (He's a nice young man and seems to have a good future ahead of him.  He received a full-ride scholarship.) 
    This is a big pet peeve for me right now. Two days ago one of my good friends posted an article about the government sponsored killings in the Philippines, and how heart broken she was about it as a person with family there. This asshat from our class responds to the post "we should do that in the US. Include gang members!" When we called him out on how inappropriate and wrong his statement was, he pretended like he had been hacked and then said he was taking a break from FB. Dude does not deserve social media. That isn't the first time he's done something like that. Plus, my friend reminded me about the time he posted that he'd died in a car crash on FB, and then pretended that it was a "hacker" who "posted just for fun."  Um, no hacker cares about your account that much dude. Stop being so thirsty. 

So I guess I hate FB "breaks" and FB attention seekers. 

• Options
    Oh lord if we're going to talk about social media... there's a laundry list of pet peeves.

--People constantly posting about how great their spouse is:  "I love you soooo much.  You're the BEST husband ever!  Guess what my husband did today?  He is the SWEETEST!"  Every day.  Barf.

--People who vague book:  "I hate fake people.  You know who you are.  Stop pretending like you're my friend.  You and I are done."

--People who post about everything they're doing all day.  "Just went to the gym."  "Eating a burger".  "Shopping time!"  All like in the same day.

--People who hashtag for no reason, especially when it's like 10 hashtags together.  Hashtags began with a purpose... not for you to try to make everything you're saying cuter:  "Just made arugula salad!  #healthychoices #arugulajealous? #arugulafinishthat? #stayingfit #gottakeepthehotbody #yummmmmmy #noburgersforme"

--People who say, "If you think blah blah blah then you should unfriend me right now."  If you don't like people with certain types of opinions, then YOU should unfriend THEM.  Stopping asking people to unfriend you.

SaveSave
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Silly pet peeve - sunglasses on inside.   If you don't have a vision issue then take off the damn sunglasses.   You're not that cool.

Except I wear glasses. Sometimes I forget to change my prescription sunglasses for my regular glasses until I'm already in the store. I'm not going back to the vehicle if I'm just running in for a thing or two. I do feel ridiculous, but it happens. 
  • Options
    YogaSandy said:
    banana468 said:
    Silly pet peeve - sunglasses on inside.   If you don't have a vision issue then take off the damn sunglasses.   You're not that cool.

Except I wear glasses. Sometimes I forget to change my prescription sunglasses for my regular glasses until I'm already in the store. I'm not going back to the vehicle if I'm just running in for a thing or two. I do feel ridiculous, but it happens. 
    FW wears transitions lenses, and it sometimes takes a while for them to switch from outdoor to indoor mode.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    I do sunglasses inside constantly.  If I take off my clips and set them somewhere, I'm that much more likely to loose them.  And I wear them inside for headaches an awful lot anyhow.

But I do forget and get yelled at by the guard at the credit union sometimes.  Sorry dude, not a robber.
  • Options
    monkeysip said:
    I could keep this thread going on endlessly.

I was reminded of another pet peeve while shopping today: see through clothing.

I don't like having my bra showing underneath my shirt, and I HATE having to wear an undershirt with everything.  I like to just grab a blouse and go.  I hate how every cute shirt I pick out is see through.  I wish that trend would disappear.
    Amen! That and cap sleeves on everything.
  • Options
    monkeysip said:
    I apparently have a lot of pet peeves, but here's one more, and I think it might be my biggest pet peeve.

Spam callers.

I don't know what list I got on, but in the last week 15 different spam numbers have called me.  FIFTEEN!!! One has called me 46 times in the last 48 hours!  Thank god for call block.

AND THEY START AT 7AM ON SATURDAYS WITH NEW NUMBERS.
    Related to spam callers...

People coming to my door to sell me things.  We get this like once a week, which I find way too often.  

New doors, security systems, cable tv, lawn service, pest service.... I don't want any of it.  We don't have the money for any of it.  I also don't believe you when you say "It will cost me nothing".  I don't want a "free estimate", and I don't want to be on your email list.  Please just leave me alone.

Not to mention that H is almost positive that someone came to the door pretending to sell something as a pre-text to scoping out our house.  That's another story.

I feel bad... I mean... I know these people are just trying to make a living.  And if you were selling girl scout cookies, I'd love to help you out.  But you're not, so leave me alone!

Oh, I'm just a b**ch.  I'll let people knock on my door and ring my bell forever.  Then knock on my window when they see I am right there sitting on the couch 100% ignoring their rude ass.  I won't even look up.  If I don't know you or am not expecting you, I don't answer my door.  Period.

I do this because 1) Safety.  I live in a decent sized city that has home invasion incidents at least once a month.  90% the home invaders access the house...by someone answering the door.  2) They are trying to invade my privacy and time.  Nope. 

Your H is absolutely right.  When we first moved into our house, two guys knocked on the door (my H answered) asking for some random person's name.  The people who had previously owned the house had lived there for 20 years, it wasn't their name.  Super fishy.  Our home was burglarized less than one week later. 

I'm a fairly new home owner, coming out of apartment rental for the last 10 years.  I never knew this was such a problem until recently.  Twice, during the day people have come by to sell us things.  Both times we were sleeping.

Granted, you don't normally sleep during the days - but FI has really crazy hours and DOES.  The other day was around dinner time on a Saturday after a long day of shopping (tires you out!)

Otherwise - yes - I do not answer my door.  Normally I'm not wearing pants anyway, and it seems like a lot of trouble just to answer and tell them to go away.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I thought of another one today. 

People driving in roundabouts. They are putting them in everywhere in my area, which I love. But nobody knows how to drive in them. It's such a simple concept, but most people here don't get it. So it ends up either being a free-for-all or else people stop in the middle of it, etc. So ridiculous. 

Eta words

• Options
    I thought of another one today. 

People driving in roundabouts. They are putting them in everywhere in my area, which I love. But nobody knows how to drive in them. It's such a simple concept, but most people here don't get it. So it ends up either being a free-for-all or else people stop in the middle of it, etc. So ridiculous. 

Eta words
    I hate roundabouts with an undying passion. I wish they didn't exist. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    I have a fairly common name.  It can be spelled two different ways.  Every.single.time DH's aunt FB messages me, she spells my name the other way.  MY NAME IS RIGHT THERE AT THE TOP OF THE CHAT BOX!  How fucking lazy are you?

My aunt has also spelled my name the other way my entire life.  

I'm obsessive about spelling people's names the way they are presented because it annoys me so much. 
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    mrsconn23 said:
    I have a fairly common name.  It can be spelled two different ways.  Every.single.time DH's aunt FB messages me, she spells my name the other way.  MY NAME IS RIGHT THERE AT THE TOP OF THE CHAT BOX!  How fucking lazy are you?

I'm obsessive about spelling people's names the way they are presented because it annoys me so much. 

I wouldn't spell it wrong because I totally get it.  I'd just randomly call you instead.
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    mrsconn23 said:

I wouldn't spell it wrong because I totally get it.  I'd just randomly call you instead.
    I was in Meijer when you called me.  As soon as I saw it, I thought "She's butt dialing me or her phone is losing it."  LOL  :D  
  • Options
    Work pet peeve -- Overstuffed binders.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Go-To Meeting.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    edited August 2016
    6fsn said:
    Mine too. I've noticed a pattern with her that she says something nice immediately followed by something shitty. Ex. we tell her about the new baby and her response is "SQUEEEE!!!! Well if you think you can handle two." She babysits..."Well...I had fun but let's not make this a regular thing." I just don't get her.

eta - She gave me $100 for my birthday with instructions on what I was to spend it on.
  • Options
    My big pet peeve right now is my insurance. I have a chronic illness that I need rather expensive medicine for, I've tried all of the generic/cheaper stuff and still no luck to get it in remission.

Well, my insurance doesn't feel it's necessary to cover any of the medicine my doctor wants to put me on, even though it's been proven that people who use this drug go into remission within about a month and as long as they stay on it don't have any issues. Out of pocket for it would be about $1800, and I would need to go in for it once a month. Nopenopenope.

It's so frustrating, I just want to eat food and not be in horrible pain from it :disappointed:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Heffalump said:
    Today's pet peeve:  10 open ellipticals at the gym, I am all the way on the end, dude takes the one right next to me.  Seriously?
    Not the gym but a similar situation happens every time I get gas. There will be 10 other open pumps and someone will pull in and use the one on the other side from me. Every. Time.
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    Today's pet peeve:  10 open ellipticals at the gym, I am all the way on the end, dude takes the one right next to me.  Seriously?
    Not the gym but a similar situation happens every time I get gas. There will be 10 other open pumps and someone will pull in and use the one on the other side from me. Every. Time.

Boxes - UGH

Not the gym or gas station, but in the bathroom.  3 open stalls and someone has to pop in right next to me.  really?
  • Options
    My big pet peeve right now is my insurance. I have a chronic illness that I need rather expensive medicine for, I've tried all of the generic/cheaper stuff and still no luck to get it in remission.

Well, my insurance doesn't feel it's necessary to cover any of the medicine my doctor wants to put me on, even though it's been proven that people who use this drug go into remission within about a month and as long as they stay on it don't have any issues. Out of pocket for it would be about $1800, and I would need to go in for it once a month. Nopenopenope.

It's so frustrating, I just want to eat food and not be in horrible pain from it :disappointed:

I am so sorry to hear that, @MandyPandy87!!  I have Type I Diabetes so I can relate to the utter EVIL: of pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, and even the government.  If I were to take all the "perfect" medication I was supposed to, it would run me about $1200/month.  Ooohhh...then "only" 20% of that cost after I'd spent the first $4800 out of pocket with my high deductible insurance.  My suggestions:

1)  Have you already tried disputing it with your insurance company?  That would be my first step.

2)  Can you buy the medication cheaper from an online pharmacy?  That's what I do for one of my insulins that is $500/month in the States, but $150/month from a Canadian pharmacy.  The other $500 insulin I'm supposed to take, I just "make do" with a more old fashioned type that is only $55/month.  But I know you mentioned cheaper/generic versions are, unfortunately, not doing the trick.

3)  Have you contacted the pharmaceutical company itself for assistance?  It wouldn't hurt!  I've heard, though I've never been very successful with it myself, that they will sometimes give free or discounted medication to people in need.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    GBCK said:
    I do sunglasses inside constantly.  If I take off my clips and set them somewhere, I'm that much more likely to loose them.  And I wear them inside for headaches an awful lot anyhow.

But I do forget and get yelled at by the guard at the credit union sometimes.  Sorry dude, not a robber.
    I feel your pain. I don't wear glasses or contacts, but with the frequent migraines, I wear sunglasses indoors until I can find myself a dark room - and sometimes even in the room. it is a good hint to coworkers not to annoy me that day. 

• Options

I am so sorry to hear that, @MandyPandy87!!  I have Type I Diabetes so I can relate to the utter EVIL: of pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, and even the government.  If I were to take all the "perfect" medication I was supposed to, it would run me about $1200/month.  Ooohhh...then "only" 20% of that cost after I'd spent the first $4800 out of pocket with my high deductible insurance.  My suggestions:

1)  Have you already tried disputing it with your insurance company?  That would be my first step.

2)  Can you buy the medication cheaper from an online pharmacy?  That's what I do for one of my insulins that is $500/month in the States, but $150/month from a Canadian pharmacy.  The other $500 insulin I'm supposed to take, I just "make do" with a more old fashioned type that is only $55/month.  But I know you mentioned cheaper/generic versions are, unfortunately, not doing the trick.

3)  Have you contacted the pharmaceutical company itself for assistance?  It wouldn't hurt!  I've heard, though I've never been very successful with it myself, that they will sometimes give free or discounted medication to people in need.

One other thing to check out if neither of you have already - www.goodrx.com They'll have coupons and discounts, plus compare the costs between pharmacies. Typically the coupons cannot be used in conjunction with insurance, but if insurance won't cover it, then this is a good way to get a least some discount.
  • Options

One other thing to check out if neither of you have already - www.goodrx.com They'll have coupons and discounts, plus compare the costs between pharmacies. Typically the coupons cannot be used in conjunction with insurance, but if insurance won't cover it, then this is a good way to get a least some discount.
    Thanks @cupcait927 ! I'll look into that.

@short+sassy ugh chronic illnesses are just the worst! We did try to appeal to the insurance and it was denied. So far I haven't found anywhere online that carries this- it's a fairly new drug that's only recently come to the US from the UK. And we did try to contact the specialty pharmacy that would carry it, the guy who was working on my case quit and didn't tell myself or my doctor (they had a long working relationship so she was pretty upset about this).

The only upside is I've learned how hard my doc is willing to fight for me, I've never had a doctor sit on the phone with my insurance during my appointment to get answers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    The Olympic commentary is really starting to get on my nerves.  This isn't an auction or horse-racing.  The commentators have plenty of time to apply their filter to their mouths before spouting off asinine comments about the athletes.  The media has plenty of time to prep actual questions, and headlines are reviewed before going to print.

It's not social media live-tweeting these things that is the issue here.  It's the people making these statements.  The statements are getting picked up because they're being said and printed, and people are listening and reading.  Not because Twitter makes things happen.

If you offend one person, maybe that individual is a little sensitive.  If you offend a large group of people, then you've likely said or done something wrong.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options

Thanks @cupcait927 ! I'll look into that.

@short+sassy ugh chronic illnesses are just the worst! We did try to appeal to the insurance and it was denied. So far I haven't found anywhere online that carries this- it's a fairly new drug that's only recently come to the US from the UK. And we did try to contact the specialty pharmacy that would carry it, the guy who was working on my case quit and didn't tell myself or my doctor (they had a long working relationship so she was pretty upset about this).

The only upside is I've learned how hard my doc is willing to fight for me, I've never had a doctor sit on the phone with my insurance during my appointment to get answers.

Lame!  Sounds like the issue is it is considered a "new" drug for the U.S. marketplace.  Although this doesn't help you now, I'd suspect in the future (hopefully the near future) your insurance will take it off their "no" list.

There are some great doctors out there who go out of their way to get the best care for their patients!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Also: people who don't wash their hands.

• Options
    People who ruin mornings by giving them coffee instead of the requested tea.

The worst part is not realizing it until I got to work so I couldn't get it fixed :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards