Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Clashing Families..Help!

Re: Clashing Families..Help!

• Options
    What does a southern upbringing have to do with being a good hostess? I hear that a lot and I  think, really? Only people in the south know how to host? No one else in the country has any manners? 

No, of course not!  Just that I was raised in a more formal atmosphere...that weddings were done up big time.  But it's not MY wedding.  It's all about the bride and groom's wishes.

• Options
    Thank you all for your input.  Hopefully this will all just blow over and we can get back to focusing on the main event: A wonderful, happy wedding for all!
  • Options
    This whole post almost makes me glad that no one has offered to pay for our wedding... lol
  • Options

South Carolina Mama - One thing that stands out to me is that your daughter should be on here asking for advice.  I understand that you only want your daughter to have wonderful memories from planning through her wedding, but you don't have to fight all of your daughter's battles.  She is an adult.

If she needs suggestions on ways to neutrally discuss things with her FILs and/or FI, she could come on here and ask for advice.  I'm not saying you aren't telling the truth, but you may be taking things much more personally based on your daughter's reactions.  Encourage your daughter to come on here and ask for help navigating the wedding planning process with her FI and ILs. 

• Options

South Carolina Mama - One thing that stands out to me is that your daughter should be on here asking for advice.  I understand that you only want your daughter to have wonderful memories from planning through her wedding, but you don't have to fight all of your daughter's battles.  She is an adult.

If she needs suggestions on ways to neutrally discuss things with her FILs and/or FI, she could come on here and ask for advice.  I'm not saying you aren't telling the truth, but you may be taking things much more personally based on your daughter's reactions.  Encourage your daughter to come on here and ask for help navigating the wedding planning process with her FI and ILs. 

QFT. By all means stick around as well, though!  :)
  • Options
    2017forme said:
    This whole post almost makes me glad that no one has offered to pay for our wedding... lol
    To me this is the best part of already being well established in life and careers when wedding planning!  We are paying for EVERYTHING ourselves.  

My FI's parents offered to match what they gave my FBIL for his wedding last year.  Nope, nope, nope.  We are lucky that we can afford the wedding we want, so there is no temptation.  
  • Options
    2017forme said:
    Just like everything it all depends on the who is doing the offering.

We were well established, older couple and happily accepted my parent's offer to host our reception.   They are amazing hosts and they took our wants into consideration.  For example, they are Catholic Church wedding people.   That is not what we wanted.  We wanted a beach wedding.  While they were disappointed, they did not push the issue at all.   The process was fairly easy.  

The money that we would have spent on the wedding went to a kick-ass 3.5 week honeymoon.   Win-win.

That said, my brother's MIL was nothing but a bitch.  Everything was about her, she was an emotional bully and made my SIL cry often not only during the process, but even at the rehearsal (18 years later SIL has become estranged from her mom because of her behavior).   If my parents were like SIL's parents there is no amount of money in the world that would get me to accept their offer.  Not worth the emotional bag that would certainly come along.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    That was what THEY said.. IF they were to pay for the bar tab.  Nobody directly asked them to, but FSIL did answer their question when asked what the groom's family traditionally helps with.

As of now, as far as I know, hubs and I are paying for the entire thing, and we are very happy to do so.  
    Then do it, and plan the event that you, your daughter, and her FI want.  The FILs can make snide remarks all they want- you all y'all need to gracefully deflect them and then ignore them.  And keep ignoring them.

Your daughter and her FI need to get on the same page, however.  If he is only now waffling on things they agreed on because his parents are being judgemental and shitty, then a Come to Jesus talk is in order and he needs to stop sharing details with his parents.

FI's parent's plans for hosting the RD are just fine- only wedding party members and SOs need to be invited.  Otherwise you end up hosting an entire reception the night before the actual reception, which is ridiculous.  If you want to host your OOT family members, then go for it, but I would host that event after the RD and I'd invite FI's parents and the WP members as well.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    2017forme said:
    This is not always a problem.  DH and I paid for daughters wedding.  No issues because daughter and I planned it together, and I wanted her to have what she wanted, within financial reason.

The in-laws paid for the rehearsal dinner.  It was a bit rough and not well planned.  I was fine with it because it was not my responsibility.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    My dad paid for our whole wedding but left everything up to us. His only request was that salmon be an option on the buffet. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    FWIW, any of the issues DH and I had with our parents had nothing to do with money.   My parents essentially let us go with the planning with basic stipulations like no gap, easy drive, don't find a venue that requires rubber boots, etc. 

• Options
    AddieCake said:
    My dad paid for our whole wedding but left everything up to us. His only request was that salmon be an option on the buffet. 
    Your dad is an exception! Consider yourself lucky.
  • Options
    The "being comfortable" thing was mentioned.  I have trouble understanding, however, how anyone could be uncomfortable in a pretty setting, being served good drinks and and a great dinner, surrounded by those you care for and celebrating a wonderful family event.  
    It's simply a matter of being in an unfamiliar environment. If you attended a kitchen party in rural Newfoundland or a business meeting in Japan, you might not be sure if your clothes / gestures / habits fit in with those of the other attendees. Doesn't mean your hosts aren't being hospitable, just that you're not used to that specific type of hospitality.
    So much this!  

I think you are being willfully obtuse, OP.  You know exactly why someone would feel uncomfortable at an event that is far outside of what they are used to or familiar with (which is even known as their "comfort zone.")  Even your comment that you would "ris[e] to the occasion when need be" indicates that you realize you are asking for something specific and perhaps complicated from your guests.

The business meeting in Japan is a great analogy.  There are customs and traditions you are not familiar with.  Hos should you act.  Are you supposed to bow, and if so in what way and for how long and to whom?  What should you wear?  If you spend a bunch of money on what you suppose others might be wearing, will you still look out of place because you are not used to that sort of attire?  What if you guess wrong and show up in something that is completely different from what the rest of the attendees are wearing?  If you go with something you already own, will you look silly?  Are there certain rules for behavior that you are unaware of?  When someone brings you a plate of food, is that your whole meal or is there more coming?  What sort of food will they be serving, anyway?  And is there a certain way you will be expected to use your eating utensils or napkin?  How many drinks is it socially acceptable to consume?  Are you supposed to dance, and if so how and when and with whom?  And on.  And on.  

Traditional Japanese culture is different from what you are used to.  Formal, "high society" culture is different from what these people are used to.  Either circumstance is eminently survivable, but both could be expected to cause some level of anxiety due to sheer lack of exposure.

Try to have a bit of understanding for people who don't have the same background you have enjoyed.  You can throw a very nice wedding that doesn't alienate half the guest list.
    Seriously, we are not planning a black tie type high society, formal event!  I think the conversation has gotten off course.  It is most definitely NOT ridiculously formal.  It's just not a back yard barbecue.  It's a wedding.  In a church.  Not so hard to dress/act accordingly really, is it? I'd be very happy if people just didn't wear jeans.  Yes,  it is in a nice place, but really, why shouldn't it be?
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    The "being comfortable" thing was mentioned.  I have trouble understanding, however, how anyone could be uncomfortable in a pretty setting, being served good drinks and and a great dinner, surrounded by those you care for and celebrating a wonderful family event.  
    It's simply a matter of being in an unfamiliar environment. If you attended a kitchen party in rural Newfoundland or a business meeting in Japan, you might not be sure if your clothes / gestures / habits fit in with those of the other attendees. Doesn't mean your hosts aren't being hospitable, just that you're not used to that specific type of hospitality.
    So much this!  

I think you are being willfully obtuse, OP.  You know exactly why someone would feel uncomfortable at an event that is far outside of what they are used to or familiar with (which is even known as their "comfort zone.")  Even your comment that you would "ris[e] to the occasion when need be" indicates that you realize you are asking for something specific and perhaps complicated from your guests.

The business meeting in Japan is a great analogy.  There are customs and traditions you are not familiar with.  Hos should you act.  Are you supposed to bow, and if so in what way and for how long and to whom?  What should you wear?  If you spend a bunch of money on what you suppose others might be wearing, will you still look out of place because you are not used to that sort of attire?  What if you guess wrong and show up in something that is completely different from what the rest of the attendees are wearing?  If you go with something you already own, will you look silly?  Are there certain rules for behavior that you are unaware of?  When someone brings you a plate of food, is that your whole meal or is there more coming?  What sort of food will they be serving, anyway?  And is there a certain way you will be expected to use your eating utensils or napkin?  How many drinks is it socially acceptable to consume?  Are you supposed to dance, and if so how and when and with whom?  And on.  And on.  

Traditional Japanese culture is different from what you are used to.  Formal, "high society" culture is different from what these people are used to.  Either circumstance is eminently survivable, but both could be expected to cause some level of anxiety due to sheer lack of exposure.

Try to have a bit of understanding for people who don't have the same background you have enjoyed.  You can throw a very nice wedding that doesn't alienate half the guest list.
    Seriously, we are not planning a black tie type high society, formal event!  I think the conversation has gotten off course.  It is most definitely NOT ridiculously formal.  It's just not a back yard barbecue.  It's a wedding.  In a church.  Not so hard to dress/act accordingly really, is it? I'd be very happy if people just didn't wear jeans.  Yes,  it is in a nice place, but really, why shouldn't it be?
    Well, apparently someone has conveyed to the grooms family that they need to pay the bar tab and it must include a champagne toast, so no, apparently acting appropriately isn't all the easy.

Seriously. This isn't that hard. ***Removed for TOS Violation***
  • Options
    So much this!  

And there it is, the the sneer that always accompanies the words "southern hospitality".

• Options
    So much this!  

Well, apparently someone has conveyed to the grooms family that they need to pay the bar tab and it must include a champagne toast, so no, apparently acting appropriately isn't all the easy.

Seriously. This isn't that hard. Stop being an uptight snob. 
    Wow, you don't have to be mean.  I'm anything but that, believe me.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    OP. why did you post?  You asked for opinions.  I'm just not sure how to help you.

You can't change people.  You need to be nice to your daughter's future in-laws, and to avoid making any fuss.  If you want to vent to us about your hurt feelings, then that's OK.  Just don't vent to your daughter.  She has enough on her plate, and she will be dealing with her future in-laws for the rest of her life.
    Now if your daughter is venting to YOU, then you need to calm her, and to soothe her hurt feelings.  Not everybody has a perfect family.  She needs to be accepted by her in-laws, but her FI should back her up if they step out of line.  Her FI - not you.
    Good luck with the wedding planning.  We are here to vent if you need us.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    OP. why did you post?  You asked for opinions.  I'm just not sure how to help you.

You can't change people.  You need to be nice to your daughter's future in-laws, and to avoid making any fuss.  If you want to vent to us about your hurt feelings, then that's OK.  Just don't vent to your daughter.  She has enough on her plate, and she will be dealing with her future in-laws for the rest of her life.
    Now if your daughter is venting to YOU, then you need to calm her, and to soothe her hurt feelings.  Not everybody has a perfect family.  She needs to be accepted by her in-laws, but her FI should back her up if they step out of line.  Her FI - not you.
    QFT.

OP, I'm just not sure what you're looking for. I really don't think the FILs being uncomfortable with the wedding is anything to judge them for (which is how several of your posts come across), but also not a reason to change up your plans. It shouldn't be dictated to them that they need to pay for the alcohol, and if they offer, they should not be required to include a champagne toast just because that's what you/bride/groom would like. If they have misunderstood about being asked to pay for alcohol, you should have your FSIL explain to them that all that he wants from them is to be honored guests.

And I don't think it will help your future relationship with your FSIL or his parents if you make them feel like you think you're better than them. Which you clearly do.

• Options
    I won't be adding anything further to this post.  I don't think I'm better than anyone, I'm not a snob, and I'm not judging anyone.  (Unlike many of you).  I'm not an old timer on this board like CMGragain and maybe I shouldn't have even posted, since she asked what my point was.  I just want us all to get along and for the B & G to have the kind of wedding that THEY want without me stepping on toes and ultimately being slammed for trying to provide that.  

I came looking for advice, maybe from someone who had been down the same road.  It's not easy blending two families, even for just one social event. Sorry I'm guilty of trying to understand how to best do it without just tossing everything I know and doing it all their way, but still picking up the tab.

Thank you, Southernbelle0915.  You seem to get it.

I wish you all well...even those who are not planning a wedding but just remain here to...judge others?
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

QFT.

OP, I'm just not sure what you're looking for. I really don't think the FILs being uncomfortable with the wedding is anything to judge them for (which is how several of your posts come across), but also not a reason to change up your plans. It shouldn't be dictated to them that they need to pay for the alcohol, and if they offer, they should not be required to include a champagne toast just because that's what you/bride/groom would like. If they have misunderstood about being asked to pay for alcohol, you should have your FSIL explain to them that all that he wants from them is to be honored guests.

And I don't think it will help your future relationship with your FSIL or his parents if you make them feel like you think you're better than them. Which you clearly do.
    I think both of these responses are a little much. Why did she post here? To get some advice about how to navigate these issues, likely without making her daughter more upset. She never once implied she thought she was "better than" the grooms parents or that what they were planning wasn't "good enough". 

Im with @southernbelle0915 in that nothing she said was out of line or implied she wanted to make the grooms parents uncomfortable. She was asking on how to improve the relationship and help her daughter plan a wedding, that's all. 
    For me, it wasn't the original post, but the responses from the OP when people even slightly suggested that the groom's family might not be completely in the wrong.

It did seem, to me, that any time someone suggested that the groom's family might be uncomfortable and have a point, the response was "why would anyone ever be uncomfortable with my/my daughter's lovely event?!", which is probably why the groom's family is reacting the way they are.

If my tone felt judgmental, that's on me. I definitely don't think you're a bad person or anything, OP, and I think you do want to do right by your daughter and her FH. But I also think the groom's family is uncomfortable...and based on your responses here, I have a hunch they might feel a little judged too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards