Wedding Etiquette Forum

Clashing Families..Help!

13»

Re: Clashing Families..Help!

• She posted because her daughter's FILs are making comments about the reception that are rude and upsetting.

It is the groom's responsibility to:
    1. defend his & the bride's decisions (and maybe not pass along every comment to the bride since she doesn't seem to be handling it well and it is impacting her & your relationships with his family)
    2. assure his parents that they do not need to pay for anything
    3. help his parents feel comfortable at the event by managing their expectations and answering questions they may have on how to dress or act (important: not dictating how to dress or act)

My advice to the OP is to not take the FILs' comments personally as I think they're coming from a place of discomfort rather than malice. And try to be happy regardless of what other guests shows up wearing! Remember you wouldn't find it hard to dress/act appropriately because this type of event is your idea of a "normal" wedding. You have no control over whether your guests feel out of place, you just need to understand why they might and not get offended over it.
    Yeah, this was the point I was going for. I was probably harsher than I needed to be. Sorry about that, OP!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards