Snarky Brides
Options

Daily Facebook Faux Pas

Re: Daily Facebook Faux Pas

• Options
    NWR but I've noticed a trend on my local FB yardsale pages:  college-age girls putting out "looking for office job" (or similar)and their profile picture is a shot of their bikini-clad cleavage, and their cover pic is from dressing as a stripper last Halloween.

I don't care how you dress or what pics you post, but just maybe you should clean that up before you job search from your FB page?  It just doesn't seem professional.
    Reminds me of a self-employed voice actor/radio personality I briefly dated who on his birthday posted on his personal Facebook (which was linked to his business profile) about needing to "get drunk and get laid." I'm no prude, but I thought that was a dumb move on his part, and we never went out again.
  • Options
    Ironring said:
    RedSolo34 said:
    I've been lurking for awhile and waiting for the right thread to post this gem
    Isn't that the general idea behind a Jack and Jill? A pre wedding party that is basically supposed to help raise money for the wedding? (Just because it's a thing doesn't make it any less tacky though)
    I'm confused, or maybe the terminology has changed since I was younger. Isn't a Jack and Jill a co-ed shower and a social is something just like that?  A party to raise money for the wedding?  

• Options
    Ironring said:
    RedSolo34 said:
    I've been lurking for awhile and waiting for the right thread to post this gem
    Isn't that the general idea behind a Jack and Jill? A pre wedding party that is basically supposed to help raise money for the wedding? (Just because it's a thing doesn't make it any less tacky though)
    I'm confused, or maybe the terminology has changed since I was younger. Isn't a Jack and Jill a co-ed shower and a social is something just like that?  A party to raise money for the wedding?  
    This is actually regional- the terminology. Some places refer to the tacky parties of raising money as a social or stag & doe or jack & Jill. Other areas refer to co-Ed showers or Bach parties as jack & jills or stag & does. 

One thing that really is regional! Hah! 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    Count me as falling on the side of being more indulgent towards wedding photo-sharers... you pay a lot of money for those photos and I think it's cool that social media lets people enjoy them more over the years versus the back in the day when they got put in a photo album and forgotten.

Now FB wedding over-sharers I can't get on board with, and it's crazy as one PP mentioned that it actually raises alarms when you're getting married and not constantly posting about it! An awful example of this phenomenon (not wedding-related but same principle)- so one of H's cousins is pregnant, due this fall. I've literally heard my MIL tell multiple people she assumed the cousin had a miscarriage earlier in the pregnancy because she hasn't seen her post anything on FB about it! My jaw literally dropped to the floor- and what's worse, MIL knows full well cousin's older sister has been struggling to get pregnant for years, so you would think that would slightly explain cousin not wanting to shout her news to the world (as if you need another explanation beyond "just don't feel obligated to post all my huge personal news on FB").
  • Options
    Count me as falling on the side of being more indulgent towards wedding photo-sharers... you pay a lot of money for those photos and I think it's cool that social media lets people enjoy them more over the years versus the back in the day when they got put in a photo album and forgotten.

Now FB wedding over-sharers I can't get on board with, and it's crazy as one PP mentioned that it actually raises alarms when you're getting married and not constantly posting about it! An awful example of this phenomenon (not wedding-related but same principle)- so one of H's cousins is pregnant, due this fall. I've literally heard my MIL tell multiple people she assumed the cousin had a miscarriage earlier in the pregnancy because she hasn't seen her post anything on FB about it! My jaw literally dropped to the floor- and what's worse, MIL knows full well cousin's older sister has been struggling to get pregnant for years, so you would think that would slightly explain cousin not wanting to shout her news to the world (as if you need another explanation beyond "just don't feel obligated to post all my huge personal news on FB").
    I don't post anything about my wedding on facebook anymore after getting a couple "I better be invited" comments. It's not alarming not to, it's polite. Nobody wants to hear all the mundane details. I realize some people have to check into their bathroom when they go, but most people don't like that. 
  • Options

I don't post anything about my wedding on facebook anymore after getting a couple "I better be invited" comments. It's not alarming not to, it's polite. Nobody wants to hear all the mundane details. I realize some people have to check into their bathroom when they go, but most people don't like that. 
    Yeah that was my point. @ernursej said she gets people asking her if she's still getting married because she doesn't post about it on FB and I was commenting that it's funny/sad that oversharing about this stuff has become so common people think it's weird when you don't.
  • Options
    Yeah that was my point. @ernursej said she gets people asking her if she's still getting married because she doesn't post about it on FB and I was commenting that it's funny/sad that oversharing about this stuff has become so common people think it's weird when you don't.
    Gotcha. 
  • Options
    I got one for today.

A woman I went to high school with was one of those over-posters with her wedding. Now, a few months after her wedding, she's announced she's pregnant. Cue the over-sharing with pregnancy pics! Her mother giving her a gift! Her stepson patting her still-flat belly! The first ultrasounds!
    And the kicker... announcing they're having a girl, with a series of photos including them in the ultrasound room waiting for the news
    (Luckily she was fully dressed for the photos.)
    Look, you want photos of every single step of the process, fine. But keep some things private, please?

• Options
    I got one for today.

A woman I went to high school with was one of those over-posters with her wedding. Now, a few months after her wedding, she's announced she's pregnant. Cue the over-sharing with pregnancy pics! Her mother giving her a gift! Her stepson patting her still-flat belly! The first ultrasounds!
    And the kicker... announcing they're having a girl, with a series of photos including them in the ultrasound room waiting for the news
    Look, you want photos of every single step of the process, fine. But keep some things private, please?

I can't stand when people post the proof of their unborn child's sex. It's just gross to me. Why is it okay because they're not born when it wouldn't be okay after?
  • Options
    I got one for today.

I can't stand when people post the proof of their unborn child's sex. It's just gross to me. Why is it okay because they're not born when it wouldn't be okay after?
    I really have no idea. I didn't think of that either. For me, ultrasounds are just useless because all I can see is a head. Then there are the creepy 3D ones that look like blobby aliens. 

• Options
    I really have no idea. I didn't think of that either. For me, ultrasounds are just useless because all I can see is a head. Then there are the creepy 3D ones that look like blobby aliens. 
    I'm surprised she didn't post the one of her baby's crotch for everyone to see. I usually agree that the 3D ones are weird, but we got some great ones of Harrison and he looked like a real baby. 
  • Options
    I got one for today.

I would hide this person's posts!
  • Options
    I got one for today.

A good friend of my sisters posts multiple times a day about how lucky she is that her kids love each other, complete with multiple photos of them hugging, playing in the bathtub, sleeping in the same bed.  Well, this weekend they had their third and she has posted 10 pics since they left the hospital yesterday.  Nope, can't do it anymore.  Unfollowed.
  • Options
    Ooh yes I also have a fb friend who had (what felt like) a long engagement and kept us all updated every step along the way. I knew every detail of her wedding -- including the RSVP date, about which there were several "friendly reminders" -- despite not being invited. Everything was online.

There were #TBTs for months and every time her friend has a bday we all see a collage of every wedding pic they happened to be in.

She's a very sweet girl and I did like seeing the details of her day just because I'm nosy & love weddings, but the countdown posts were intolerable even for me.
  • Options
    I got one for today.

I actually did unfollow! I have multiple lists. My main news feed is actual news sites and the few people I can still stand. Then I have high school list, college list, work list, and random acquaintances list. Even if you technically unfollow, it only unfollows from the main feed, not the others. 
    I check the other lists maybe once a week and her posts dominate the high school list :( 

• Options
    @thisismynickname - wait til that baby is born. Every. Single. Day. .

That poor kid is probably going to grow up on social media with his/her mom posting ALL kinds of pictures. Poor kid.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I got one for today.

I wouldn't post the ultrasound, I would post a photo whatever we decided to announce to everyone. Like if we used a cake, I'd post a photo of us pulling the piece out to show gender. Unless you're a ultrasound tech, no one knows what to look for on the photo!
  • Options
    I wouldn't post the ultrasound, I would post a photo whatever we decided to announce to everyone. Like if we used a cake, I'd post a photo of us pulling the piece out to show gender. Unless you're a ultrasound tech, no one knows what to look for on the photo!
    I announced with this:
    I've seen people put the ultrasound that has the arrow pointing out baby's genitals online though. 
    That's a cute idea :) We're a year from even TTC so I'm just going based on ideas i've thought of. This is definitely a cute idea though!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Whenever I get pregnant (maybe a year after getting married or so to start TTC), I want to have a photo of two large ice bins (the ones you see in front of stores or gas stations) and then us.....so it'll be like "ice.....ice.....baby!" But I'm lame and cheesy like that. 

Edited for words. 
  • Options
    Ironring said:
    Whenever I get pregnant (maybe a year after getting married or so to start TTC), I want to have a photo of two large ice bins (the ones you see in front of stores or gas stations) and then us.....so it'll be like "ice.....ice.....baby!" But I'm lame and cheesy like that. 

Edited for words. 
    That's really funny!

I've been so inundated with announcements that I'd rather forego one completely. Let a picture of me come up on FB every once in awhile and let acquaintances gossip if I've eaten too many donuts. 

• Options
    Ironring said:

Edited for words. 
    If you like that kinda stuff, check out pinterest or even google! They have that kinda deal.
    We're going to try and personalize our announcements to the person/people we're telling. {it started because H's brother's name is Sam and even though we're not American, we want to use the "we want you!" idea with uncle Sam .... ahaha}
  • Options
    That's really funny!

I've been so inundated with announcements that I'd rather forego one completely. Let a picture of me come up on FB every once in awhile and let acquaintances gossip if I've eaten too many donuts. 
    I actually knew almost 2 months before I announced. I posted a video of Harrison head butting me and only one person said anything about my belly. 
  • Options
    @DrillSergeantCat that's similar to what my sister did.  I don't know why, maybe it's the teeny tininess of it, but I love shoe announcements.  

Because teeny-tiny baby shoes (and socks) are fucking cute as hell. 

I was at the outlet mall just yesterday cooing over the baby-Sperrys. Not even pregnant. 

Speaking of baby socks, why in the effing hell are they called booties?  Do they know how confusing that is for non parents when reading registries?  They're baby socks, they're already cute - they don't need a cutesie name FFS, just call them socks!
  • Options
    Speaking of baby socks, why in the effing hell are they called booties?  Do they know how confusing that is for non parents when reading registries?  They're baby socks, they're already cute - they don't need a cutesie name FFS, just call them socks!
    That's odd. There are baby socks and then there are booties. The pink shoes in my picture are booties. 
  • Options
    I don't post much but can I just have a little rant!?  I'm so chuffed for a friend of mine who is expecting a baby however she posts near enough naked pictures of her bump at least twice a week.  Tooo much!!!! 
    That is obnoxious! I'm with you.
  • Options
    I don't post much but can I just have a little rant!?  I'm so chuffed for a friend of mine who is expecting a baby however she posts near enough naked pictures of her bump at least twice a week.  Tooo much!!!! 
    Really agree. I think the bump shots are...a lot, most of the time. I try not to judge too much, because I do get that other peoples' Facebooks aren't for me....but I feel like we all know what a baby bump looks like, right? Maybe just HALF the bump pictures would be enough...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards