Snarky Brides

Daily Facebook Faux Pas

I really think I could make this a daily thing with all the fuckery and asshattery I see on Facebook. Last night, in a wedding b/s/t group I'm in, a lady asked about honeymoon registries and how successful others found them to be. One person said she did one but most people gave cash, another said people don't give cash so this bride should do a dollar dance, another posted a Pinterest picture with a cutesy poem about their "Honeymoon Wish" asking people to give cash for a honeymoon instead of a gift (you know because cash isn't a gift), another set one up through Sandals (I don't take issue with this),  another set one up through Carnival, another said, "You could do a choice, either gift or money donation towards the honeymoon" (best advice ever!!!), another suggested a cash registry through newwish, another said they set up a honeymoon fund at the reception and got $1000.

Then, there's me. I said honeymoon registries like honeyfund are dishonest because guests think they're buying you an experience but they're giving you cash with a fee taken out. I also added that it's against etiquette to ask for gifts or insinuate that you were expecting gifts. I was told I needed a Snickers. 

Re: Daily Facebook Faux Pas

• edited August 2016
    I see people selling left over signage for their toonie bars almost every day. One day, someone actually asked which option people thought they could make more money with: a toonie bar or bar by donation. Gross.  (The general consensus was that you'd make more money with a donation bar in case anyone is curious *rolls eyes*)
  • Ironring said:
    I see people selling left over signage for their toonie bars almost every day. One day, someone actually asked which option people thought they could make more money with: a toonie bar or bar by donation. Gross.  (The general consensus was that you'd make more money with a donation bar in case anyone is curious *rolls eyes*)
    Fuckery and asshattery galore!
  • I only let one person know about my wedding website before invitations went out and that was my BM so I could get her opinion on it. This girl is stressing me out just by reading your post!! There are times my FI works 12 hours a day and we still manage to make decisions. 
  • Holy shit Peachy.

Not wedding related, but I saw my insufferable ex-friend's anniversary status update yesterday (didn't de-friend because of occasional entertainment, just hidden from main news feed).

It talked about how hard marriage is, as anyone in a real marriage knows.

.... Real marriage?

... What's a non-real marriage?

• I have a girl or two in my feed right now that are posting pictures of Every. Single. Damn. Wedding thing that happens. Luckily they are having short engagements so it doesn't bother me as much as the "300 days left" post. 
  • I'm going to be guilty of admitting to this {we did it before I researched the fact they're bad} but we had a "honeyfund" through a travel agency. We would have taken the trip even if people didn't give us anything {we planned it that way} but we also made sure any of those hidden fees were payed before anyone gave money. {we'd traveled with them before}

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but if they have a 'honeyfund' hopefully they plan on being able to pay for it if no one puts cash to it.

Side note; no rhyming things for our 'honeyfund' and yes I am aware it was bad etiquette now and wish we hadn't done it.
  • There is a girl on my FB feed who got married in April, and is STILL posting about her wedding.  She does a "wedding picture Wednesday" every week where she posts 1-3 pictures from her wedding and a narrative about them.
                            AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • There is a girl on my FB feed who got married in April, and is STILL posting about her wedding.  She does a "wedding picture Wednesday" every week where she posts 1-3 pictures from her wedding and a narrative about them.
    HAHA I have one of those too. Every Thursday is a #tbt picture of their wedding, which was a year ago.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Through a friend, she tells me things of people she knows that do this! Her FSIL still has their wedding photo on her fb cover page and it's been 4 yrs! And another of her friends did the same for "tbt" for a few months.
    I posted more around our anniversary, or if some of my fave shots popped up on my 'on this day', but I tried to keep it at a minimum because I knew it would irritate people!
  • Holy shit Peachy.

Not wedding related, but I saw my insufferable ex-friend's anniversary status update yesterday (didn't de-friend because of occasional entertainment, just hidden from main news feed).

.... Real marriage?

Good question ...
    Yup. There is a woman on my Insta feed who got married in June - and every day leading up to the wedding there were multiple posts about #weddingplanning #bridethis or #bridethat and since the wedding there are multiple posts per week of her in her gown, or her with her WP or pics of the head table (that did not include spouses/SOs of the WP) with the caption "I just want to go back in time" blah blah blah vomit.
  • i think i've already posted about this here, but a distant cousin (i'm not invited to her wedding, she wasn't to ours) is getting married in october and is the worst on social media. multiple posts a week about it, links to her wedding website posted on her Facebook - including a note on there about how "everyone just throws away the rsvp card when they get it so we made it easy! rsvp here" and a box you can put your name and how many people you're bringing with you in it. that ANYONE can write something in, my sister did it just to see if it worked. eeeeeek! they also have a honey fund with poems. yuck.
  • kylexo said:
    i think i've already posted about this here, but a distant cousin (i'm not invited to her wedding, she wasn't to ours) is getting married in october and is the worst on social media. multiple posts a week about it, links to her wedding website posted on her Facebook - including a note on there about how "everyone just throws away the rsvp card when they get it so we made it easy! rsvp here" and a box you can put your name and how many people you're bringing with you in it. that ANYONE can write something in, my sister did it just to see if it worked. eeeeeek! they also have a honey fund with poems. yuck.
    It would be tacky otherwise.
  • kylexo said:
    i think i've already posted about this here, but a distant cousin (i'm not invited to her wedding, she wasn't to ours) is getting married in october and is the worst on social media. multiple posts a week about it, links to her wedding website posted on her Facebook - including a note on there about how "everyone just throws away the rsvp card when they get it so we made it easy! rsvp here" and a box you can put your name and how many people you're bringing with you in it. that ANYONE can write something in, my sister did it just to see if it worked. eeeeeek! they also have a honey fund with poems. yuck.
    inquiring minds want to know, did it work? Did the cousin say anything? 
  • Holy shit Peachy.

.... Real marriage?

Well, my marriage will be non-real because we're two women . . . .
  • Ironring said:
    kylexo said:
    inquiring minds want to know, did it work? Did the cousin say anything? 
    as far as i know, she never mentioned it! so maybe my sister should just show up?
  • I've been lurking for awhile and waiting for the right thread to post this gem
  • RedSolo34 said:
    I've been lurking for awhile and waiting for the right thread to post this gem
    Isn't that the general idea behind a Jack and Jill? A pre wedding party that is basically supposed to help raise money for the wedding? (Just because it's a thing doesn't make it any less tacky though)
  • So last night there was a post about where should one put their registry info if they're not having a shower. Soooo many answers to just put it right on the invitation. One said, "I registered at Bed Bath & Beyond and they even gave me these little slips to put in my invitations." I responded that they're in the business to sell inventory, not wedding etiquette. Someone, posted a link from here about what not to do with wedding invitations. 
    Through a friend, she tells me things of people she knows that do this! Her FSIL still has their wedding photo on her fb cover page and it's been 4 yrs! And another of her friends did the same for "tbt" for a few months.
    I posted more around our anniversary, or if some of my fave shots popped up on my 'on this day', but I tried to keep it at a minimum because I knew it would irritate people!
    I think it is fine to post on your anniversary (or one of those timeshot things), but every week! Good grief, I don't think I could take it. DD's anniversary is in a week, I will probably post a picture of it that day (my kids together before the ceremony).
    my mum and MIL posted. Also when I posted, I made sure it was a variety from wedding - family, BMs, GMs, whole WP {we have a couple really great shots of whole WP} as well as us.
    I think it is fine to post on your anniversary (or one of those timeshot things), but every week! Good grief, I don't think I could take it. DD's anniversary is in a week, I will probably post a picture of it that day (my kids together before the ceremony).
    my mum and MIL posted. Also when I posted, I made sure it was a variety from wedding - family, BMs, GMs, whole WP {we have a couple really great shots of whole WP} as well as us.
    I shared only what my photographer posted on his Facebook page and two or three of the best greenscreen photos. Maybe I'm just a little more reserved, but I don't feel the need to post anything more, and as more time passes, whatever need I did feel continues to dissipate (we got married in the spring). I'm also an infrequent user, so there's that.

So I really don't understand why those who use FB every day never update their picture from a bridal portrait taken 3.5 years ago, or still have their centerpieces as their cover photo.  Or share wedding shit for months/years after the fact, like recreating a "favorite" wedding photo every year at the same place. Don't you ever want to do something else on your anniversary?

The appeal escapes me.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

I shared only what my photographer posted on his Facebook page and two or three of the best greenscreen photos. Maybe I'm just a little more reserved, but I don't feel the need to post anything more, and as more time passes, whatever need I did feel continues to dissipate (we got married in the spring). I'm also an infrequent user, so there's that.

So I really don't understand why those who use FB every day never update their picture from a bridal portrait taken 3.5 years ago, or still have their centerpieces as their cover photo.  Or share wedding shit for months/years after the fact, like recreating a "favorite" wedding photo every year at the same place. Don't you ever want to do something else on your anniversary?

The appeal escapes me.

Girl, I'm with you. Taking a million photos isn't that fun for me. I will do it at my wedding and I take a lot of shots on vacations and things, but the idea of recreating a photo every anniversary sounds awful to me. It's nice for couples that enjoy it....but not me at all. I also don't continually share TBTs to an event that happened years ago. I know brides (well....wives now) that do that and it makes me a little sad for them. I give people a pass on still having a wedding photo as their profile / cover photo though, because to me that's inaction (not changing a photo) rather than action (sharing constant updates and pics from the same event). If someone changes their profile and cover photo often to different photos from their wedding, that gets a major side eye from me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards