Wedding Etiquette Forum

Calling for opinions on STD wording

So I'm looking for some opinions on my STD wording. Sorry if you don't like the cartoons or overall style but I'm really looking for suggestions on the little rhyme at the top. FILs said they thought "booze" had a poor connotation indicating sloppiness or something too casual. My thinking is I'm happy with a "less formal" and more fun STD that people make look at longer on a fridge or something, and then sending out lovely invites that will convey the tone and formality of the event. So far I haven't been able to think of anything clever to replace what I already have. Bottom portion is edited for personal information.

Wedding is a fall vineyard wedding, cocktail attire, sophisticated but a little undone.

TIA

Re: Calling for opinions on STD wording

• I think you both are overthinking this massively. It is so easy to do. It's a save the date. No one really reads it intently other than the date to save. The only ones that I have received that really set the tone are the super formal black tie ones that are hand calligraphied. 

To me it seems like fun, but if your fi doesn't like it, maybe change it to something like 'dinner, drinks and...'

I would also add: 'save the date' before the date and 'invitation to follow' , as some people may think that is your invite. 

Also, do you also have the city listed in the blacked out area? 
  • Personally, I love the whole thing.  I had originally picked out a STD with similar wording, but FI nixed it because he has a couple recovering alcoholics in his family and thought his aunts would side eye us for it.  I say it's a know your crowd thing, but there's nothing wrong with a casual, tongue in cheek STD.
  • I think it's fine, but if your FI doesn't like it, maybe a change to something he likes? Also I would add "formal invitation to follow" so people know this is a STD and not an invitation they need to respond to. 
  • You'd need a comma after booze. 

I don't  see the big deal but I could see how some people would be meh about the wording.  

Not necessarily.  I'm an Oxford comma kind of girl, myself, but you can successfully argue for the punctuation as written.

Anyway, OP, I think it's fine--I'm not in love, but it's fine, it gets the job done.  However, if your FILs aren't fans, is this worth battling over?

Also, who is paying for the wedding?

• Well, you could leave the second line off altogether. 

Or
    vine, dine, it's wedding time
    good suggestions, thank you!

You'd need a comma after booze. 

I don't  see the big deal but I could see how some people would be meh about the wording.  
    already been said, but it can go either way. i personally like oxford commas, my FI doesnt...whatever!
  • megtownxxmegtownxx member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2016
    I think you both are overthinking this massively. It is so easy to do. It's a save the date. No one really reads it intently other than the date to save. The only ones that I have received that really set the tone are the super formal black tie ones that are hand calligraphied. 

To me it seems like fun, but if your fi doesn't like it, maybe change it to something like 'dinner, drinks and...'

I would also add: 'save the date' before the date and 'invitation to follow' , as some people may think that is your invite. 

Also, do you also have the city listed in the blacked out area? 
    LOL isn't EVERYTHING in weddings a total overthought? yeah its not a big deal, but since it was mentioned, i figured i'd think on it and get some more opinions. and thank you for mentioning the 'save the date' and 'invitation to follow'. i completely forgot!
    and yes, there is the venue, city and our wedding website in the blacked out areas.
  • Heffalump said:
    You'd need a comma after booze. 

Not necessarily.  I'm an Oxford comma kind of girl, myself, but you can successfully argue for the punctuation as written.

Anyway, OP, I think it's fine--I'm not in love, but it's fine, it gets the job done.  However, if your FILs aren't fans, is this worth battling over?

Also, who is paying for the wedding?

oxford commas FTW!

yeah, at this point i just want to send them out and stop staring at them. it just becomes a giant overthought the longer it goes. my FILs like it, but just were being honest as i asked for their honest opinion. they wouldnt be upset or anything if they went out as is, but i figured someone one here might have good ideas i havent thought of, and i was right!

i'm paying for my wedding, so i understand i dont need anyone's approval on things.
  • You could replace booze with tunes.  It's got a similar rhythmic sound and pattern.  I'm not sure how much of the cartoon style is in your control, but if you want to try to convey a slightly more formal dress code, you might add a bow tie on the left and a pearl necklace on the right.
    Anniversary

• JaxInBlue said:
    You could replace booze with tunes.  It's got a similar rhythmic sound and pattern.  I'm not sure how much of the cartoon style is in your control, but if you want to try to convey a slightly more formal dress code, you might add a bow tie on the left and a pearl necklace on the right.

These are both great ideas!

Personally, I love it. I have the same vision for my wedding (a fancy party, but like, a party). 
  • If I was going to pick something to be offended about it wouldn't be the word "booze."  If I were you I would probably change the wording to read "best dance moves" instead of "bad dance moves."  But that's just me.
  • If I was going to pick something to be offended about it wouldn't be the word "booze."  If I were you I would probably change the wording to read "best dance moves" instead of "bad dance moves."  But that's just me.
  • Looks fine to me. Agree with the suggestions above.
  • Ro041 said:
    Wait....your names and Chris and Meg?  Do you get a lot of Family Guy jokes?
    HAHAHA surprisingly no! probably because i go by Meghan in most situations and Meg is usually a nickname of endearment or way to avoid misspellings 
  • I agree with CMG, you need last names somewhere on the STD so people are able to easily tell who is sending them. 
  • ahoyweddingahoywedding member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    justsie said:
    I agree with CMG, you need last names somewhere on the STD so people are able to easily tell who is sending them. 

**Stuck in box**
    Are last names necessary? We had them on ours because that's just how they came, but since you're presumably sending them to people you know shouldn't it be fairly obvious? Unless that person had several friends named Chris who were getting married at the same time, I guess. I think if you're going for a casual feel they're not necessary. Plus, they'd likely be on the envelope in the return address.

ETA: I love the casual feel of these cards! I'm not put off by any of the wording, but as someone who is also inviting several recovering alcoholics I like the idea to sub in something else for "booze."
  • justsie said:
    I agree with CMG, you need last names somewhere on the STD so people are able to easily tell who is sending them. 

**Stuck in box**
    Are last names necessary? We had them on ours because that's just how they came, but since you're presumably sending them to people you know shouldn't it be fairly obvious? Unless that person had several friends named Chris who were getting married at the same time, I guess. I think if you're going for a casual feel they're not necessary. Plus, they'd likely be on the envelope in the return address.

ETA: I love the casual feel of these cards! I'm not put off by any of the wording, but as someone who is also inviting several recovering alcoholics I like the idea to sub in something else for "booze."

With my large family, yes, last names are a must!  For the most part, if I call one of the relatives I always say this is OOM, daughter of John & Jane Doe.  It was even more needed because my H's name is a very common name throughout my family and they may not have known without the last names which person was their family member!
  • Eh, we didn't have last names on our STDs. No one was confused. They were sent out to our close friends and close relatives, and they only knew one B & R that were marrying. Also, our return address was on the STD. 

I would also change it to "best dance moves". Also agree that "you in?" could make it seem that you're looking for a response now. So I'd make it clear on the STD and website that a formal invitation will follow. 
  • Yeah instead of "you in?" I'd put "Save the Date!"

I don't think last names are necessary. If you are sending them w an envelope just put your last names on there. If it's a postcard, I mean, your VIPs (who you should be sending them to) should clearly have an idea of which Chris and meg are getting married in that specific city. I don't think it's as big of an "OMG WHO IS THIS" issue as some people claim. *shrug*
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    When I was married, our names were "Jane and John Smith".  STDs had not been invented then.  A few months later I received congratulatory cards on our NEW BABY?!  What?  DH's cousin, "Jim Smith", also married to a Jane, had just had a baby, and people confused us.  We had a hurry-up wedding, so people assumed I was pregnant.  Nope.
    Use your last names.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    When I was married, our names were "Jane and John Smith".  STDs had not been invented then.  A few months later I received congratulatory cards on our NEW BABY?!  What?  DH's cousin, "Jim Smith", also married to a Jane, had just had a baby, and people confused us.  We had a hurry-up wedding, so people assumed I was pregnant.  Nope.
    Use your last names.

I think this can be family specific.

If you're in a large family with people having the same first names you make a good case.   If that isn't happening and you know that people won't confuse you then last names aren't needed here. 
  • thanks for the help everyone! definitely a few things i missed there and will be happy to fix.

as for the last names debate, i don't think they're necessary for me - i agree with what other PPs have said in that most things are situation/family dependent.

i definitely was seeking some critique on this STD because i just didnt love it and couldnt quite figure out why. a few nights ago i actually started designing a different concept that i like much better. it's more classic, says "save the date" plus "formal invitation to follow" and doesn't say "YOU IN?". i agree with what others have said, that it could imply a response.

thanks again!!
  • banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:
    Use your last names.

If you're in a large family with people having the same first names you make a good case.   If that isn't happening and you know that people won't confuse you then last names aren't needed here. 

I never even considered the last names thing until this board. i just received a STD in the mail from B & A, and i didnt need their last names to know exactly who they were. plus, theyre not even like super close friends or anything. if i'm sending you a STD for our pretty average sized wedding, i would hope you knew who we were...
  • megtownxx said:
    banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:
    Use your last names.

I never even considered the last names thing until this board. i just received a STD in the mail from B & A, and i didnt need their last names to know exactly who they were. plus, theyre not even like super close friends or anything. if i'm sending you a STD for our pretty average sized wedding, i would hope you knew who we were...
    Well, in a family like DH's there are some duplicated names.   Or you could be like the family in My Big Fat Greek Wedding with about 6 cousins named Nick.   You may love all of them but not know which one is tying the knot in 6 months.  
  • banana468 said:
    megtownxx said:
    banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:
    Use your last names.

Well, in a family like DH's there are some duplicated names.   Or you could be like the family in My Big Fat Greek Wedding with about 6 cousins named Nick.   You may love all of them but not know which one is tying the knot in 6 months.  
    hahaha oh man i love that scene, but yes definitely understand where you're coming from on that
  • I think last names are good to include if you're inviting people who may not instantly know who you are (parents' friends, distant relatives, etc). We included our last names because I used my full first name (most people know me by my nickname) to avoid confusion.
    ~*~*~*~*~