Wedding Woes
Options

Happy Eclipse Day

13»

Re: Happy Eclipse Day

• Options
    GBCK said:
    lyndausvi said:
    supposedly we're getting a better eclipse in 2024.  I'll wait.  And I'll be better prepared then too.  buying those glasses in 2023!
    People were trying to sell glasses they got for free from the library for $40 a pair.   Yeah, no.    I made my pinhole camera with stuff I had at home.
    These jackasses piss mee off SOOOooo much.  We were buying glasses retail and selling them at cost to get them into the hands of people (we underestimated--but we're a small nonprofit, we can't buy things in huge quantities!)

Toss the glasses now though, they 'expire' after 3 years, so no good for the next eclipse.

Also, collender = best pinhole camera

Wut? How does that even work? Or are you being sarcastic? 
    Ok, so I turned to the Google and still can't find any reason for why they expire! All I see is stuff that says "if your glasses are from a reputable vendor and ISO blah blah compliant, they won't expire," but what about ones that aren't compliant???  NONE of these articles include any sort of reasoning for why ones that aren't compliant "expire." It's not food, for Pete's sake!
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Wut? How does that even work? Or are you being sarcastic? 
    Nope, the plastics and layers of thin stuff degrade, potentially making them unsafe.
    It is debated (rather hotly, at the moment, FWIW), but the manufacturers say not to use after 3 years.
    If you have glasses, find the fine print, where it says not to drive--it may well say not to look at the sun for more than 3 minutes and, at least many of them also say not to use after 3 years.

I'm defaulting to the manufacturer's direction, because for $2 a pair, it's not worth the risk.