Wedding Woes
Options

Monday!!!!

How was the weekend?  Friday we picked up DH's new car, Saturday was 4 soccer games and a pizza and movie night.  Sunday church, a rainy afternoon of board games, soccer practice, and girls night for me.  I almost didn't go because I wasn't feeling it, but DH kinda pushed me.  I'm glad because I ended up having a blast.

I got a text from my co-teacher that her kid has pneumonia and she won't be at class tonight.  Kid is going back to school so I know she's fine, but it was the other teacher's night to teach so now I have to actually prep!

I spent 30 mins on the phone with my company's tech support.  The guy was all "How do you live with such a crap computer?!  This is no way for someone to live.  I'm going to see what we can do because this is awful. What do you mean this is your only computer."  He got me patched up for now though.

I have a conference call at 2 about the complete unknown. 

Soccer rant ahead-
I am so sick of parents bitching when their kid has to play keeper.  They whine about how unfair it is and their kid needs to be scoring because that's where the stars are.  The coaches rotate keeper every game.  Those that want to play there get some extra time, but it's important they ALL have experience in there.  I also want to point out that my keeper kid was the reason they won on Saturday.  He had some AMAZING blocks and because he understands the position he was able to cover when THEIR kid fucked up. 

Re: Monday!!!!

• Options
    Oh and our new insurance is messed up.  We only got credit $250 deductible for 6let (who had over $900 of testing THEN adenoid/tube surgery) and $250 for me- I've paid out over $500 for myself. 

This stupid car sale to BIL is a whole separate thing I can't even start on.
  • Options
    Congrats on the house @CharmedPam!! Do you have pictures?

Weekend was great. Friday we had happy hour drinks with old friends to forget about the insane shitshow my nonprofit job is. Thanks for all the commiseration on Friday, I def read it all, I just needed to drink. I'm not sure what I'm going to do there; part of my job is to make changes/recommendations, and I knew there would be some push back, but this was out of left field and I'm not sure what my next steps are going to be. 

Saturday I had my last long run before the Columbus half marathon next weekend, then we took Charlie to play at the in-laws. FIL is more excited to see the dog than he is me or H.

Yesterday was football. The Bills were in it for a while, and my fantasy game against @kimmiinthemitten got pretty exciting. 

I'm working at the university today (we still have classes) but no nonprofit so it's been a good morning so far.
  • Options
    @CharmedPam congrats on the house!!!! My oldest is 9 and does club soccer so it's past the everyone gets a trophy stage, but I always make sure he's having fun. I ask myself "is he a better player today and is he smiling?"  I have said the same to many parents this season. Dh and I have a few safe parents we will sit by. If we aren't rostered with them we sit on the very end away from everyone. People are crazy 
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2017
    yes. I sure do. The condo is bigger than our house and actually....I like it better! 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.  detached garage (1 per unit).  I'll give you a sprinkling of photos to see what it looks like and not to bore you all. LOL.  The kitchen is all everyone wants to see, right? It's not hardwood and I'm a hardwood floor person, but this carpet isn't that bad.  H always wanted a basement but this has a "man cave/den" which he's happy with.  Also - walk in closet! 

edit:  also, I hate the term "man cave" too since I'll be using that room as well.  But it's a term we all know.

Hope you can resolve your work issue @charlotte989875.  You were told one thing and got another.  :( 

• Options
    @CharmedPam, your house looks beautiful. Congratulations!

I hate the term "man-cave" too. I've noticed that my dad definitely treats his desk and computer as his "man-cave," but they're in his AND my mom's bedroom. Then again, my mom has a whole room that she treats as her "woman-cave" that doubles as her craft room and guest room, and for a few years it was also my bedroom. My dad seldom goes in there.
  • Options
    Congrats @CharmedPam!! 

@6fsn, I kind of want to know the car drama...but I know it's probably super eye-roll worthy. 

Weekend was pretty good.  My nephew's bday party was low-key, but fun.  We got a good start on clearing out our garage and made some decisions on getting rid of some big stuff we've been holding on to.  We also figured out how many more strands of lights we need to buy for Christmas decorating.  ;)  We didn't get as much prep done for vacation as we said we would, but that's not surprising. 
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 his gist of it is that since I stay home I should be the one to deal with all of the paperwork. 
    A- I don't need to justify my time to nayone
    B- she's hasn't worked in a month
    C- she does zero volunteering
    D- if all else fails see a 
  • Options
    congrats @charmedpam how far is the condo from your house? 
  • Options

Congrats CharmedPam - Fingers crossed on a good inspection!

6 - When I coached softball, parents would always get upset when their kids played right field.  Sorry - someone's got to play there and we rotate them in and out!  I hate parents who think they know better than the coach, but would never step up to coach.

Jen - They are call "She-Sheds"!

Weekend was fine, but H & I are both sick.  I almost stayed home from work today, but decided to just push through.  H is off today and planning to do stuff around the house. DD is starting to get well again, her congestion is clearing up.  I didn't get my tomato sauce canned, its still cooking on the stove.  I will try to make an effort tonight to get it done.

We did have our electrician come over and it sounds like he might be able to do all of our work next weekend.  We have been waiting for a while to get this done!  Its on the side, so we have to wait until he is available, but its saving us probably a thousand.  And he is going to give me a dedicated electrical outlet for my electric fry pans so that we don't set off the breaker again for our 7 fishes celebration!  LOL!

Its October and we had to sleep with the AC on last night.  That should not be happening.

• Options
    kvruns said:
    congrats @charmedpam how far is the condo from your house? 
    It's just 1 hour in good traffic, but if I decide to go there after work, it would be more like 1.5 because rush hour suuuuuucks. It's literally 1/3 the cost of our house and bigger and better.  See what happens when you live in Chicagoland vs outside of Chicagoland?

@OliveoilsMom, yes! our a/c is still on too.  boooo.  I wanted a month of "nothingness".  Yesterday was a gorgeous day.  80's I think!  LOL @ She-sheds.

• Options
    We had a good weekend.  It's amazing how much energy I have to do stuff when the house is clean.  

It rained Thurs - Saturday.  Heavy rain with intermittent light showers.  I was so glad when Sunday was 75 and sunny!

Friday night we met some of DH's family for dinner out.  Saturday morning we met some friends from out of town for breakfast.  They stopped over afterwards to see the new place and brought a cute housewarming gift - 2 quick bread mixes and a Thanksgiving sign that says "Be Thankful and eat Pie".  After they left, DH went to work and I ran errands, got a mani/pedi and did some shopping.  DH was an ass before he left for work and it was a very quiet night at our house when he got home.  

Sunday I put a roast in the crock pot, went to church and did some housework before watching the Packer game.  Wow - what an ending!  DH and I are getting back to normal but my feelings are hurt and he's not even acknowledged he was an ass so there's that.

I need to watch last week's "This is Us" to be caught up on dvr stuff.
  • Options
    Congrats on the House @CharmedPam
    @6 I want to hear the car drama too. (D’oh)

our weekend was good. 
    We had a fancy dinner with some friends and hit up the outlet mall to get DH a couple more suits. I wanted to get a dress, casual or to wear to fancy dinner, wasn’t being picky but I could not find one in my price range I liked. I did buy 4 tops though so I did okay.

We decided to get a kitty! I am stoked! DH had his heart set on a baby kitten but I felt too guilty because they are so much easier to adopt out so we compromised on a 3 month old. 

Edited because 6 answered before I posted.
    congrats!  When you do pick the kitty up?  What color?  Long hair or short hair?  I want pictures when you do get it!

• Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2017

@6fsn, congrats on the new car!  Boo on dealing with BIL and SIL.  Boo on soccer parents being annoying.

@CharmedPam, wow!  Congrats on the vacation house!  Double congrats on it being a killer deal.  If you want to change the carpeted rooms into "hardwoods", I strongly recommend checking out wood-look tile.  It is amazeballs.  It's cheaper and more durable than hardwoods, but looks exactly like it.  The first time I saw it, my friend had it done in his house.  I was like, "I thought you got wood-look tile?"  He said, "I did! That's tile."  I didn't believe him and had to touch the floor, lol.  The last time we replaced flooring for one of our rentals, we used wood-look tile.  My H even DIY'ed it.  It was time consuming, but relatively easy to do.  We also used some leftover wood-look tile as an accent for a shower, lol.  It was eye catching and a conversation piece for potential tenants!

I was SUPER busy on Friday.  I had to get bloodwork done in the morning.  It was fasting.  So breakfast was my top priority after that, lol.  Then I went to the bank, went to the post office...finally got ALL my insulin packages, and got the dog groomed.  Tried to get a flu shot but, according to CVS, my insurance company has been down for "days".  That this always happens during the heavy flu shot season of October.  They are going to call me when my info goes through.  That was Friday.  Still no call.

My H and I also went grocery shopping to stock up on supplies.  Because there was a big "freak out" about Hurricane Nate.  Electricity might be down for up to 7 days.  There might be flooding.  Calamity. Calamity. Calamity.

The mayor called for "sheltering in place".  A curfew from 7PM Sat. through 6AM Sun.

And what happened?  It poured rain from 1PM-2PM.  And was drizzly and overcast the rest of the time, smh.  We have a bunch of rainy days throughout the year, way worse than that.

All of that would have made sense if the hurricane had kept its path...which was originally straight at NOLA.  Better to be safe than sorry.  I get that, to an extent.  But it veered east.  Yet, it was still "calamity" from the powers that be, even after that was known.  My H and I were wondering Sat. morning if there was something we were missing.  We kept trying to figure out when this major storm was supposed to hit us.  It was confusing.  Nope.  It was just stupid politicians crying "wolf".  Don't they know that classic fable and the results it had?   

Edited to add:

Don't want to make it sound like Hurricane Nate was NBD.  It was for NOLA, but it battered and flooded Biloxi and Mobile.  Can the world just be done with storms and other tragedies for the rest of the decade?  I feel like we've had 10+ years worth in a few months.

My friends who live in Biloxi and their home were okay and survived.  I think it was mostly properties right on the beach that flooded.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @OliveOilsMom these aren't even volunteer coaches. They are paid positions that require certifications and continuing ed and a bunch of other crap. 

sorry you're sick. 
  • Options
    @missJeanLouise eek!  We need photos....and a name!  I love baby kitties.

@CharmedPam congrats on the condo!  It's super cute:).

@6fsn I think you should find a way to introduce your annoying soccer parents to your SIL.  They all suck and deserve each other.

I was a bad wife this weekend.  We had events Friday and Sunday so I worked late both days, and then Saturday H was headed to his dads for his birthday.  But on Friday, I also had a mini work breakdown.  It wasn't monumental like "oh my god, what have I done?" but more like "I forgot how hard it is to start over and know nothing."  I really needed a night out and as much as I love my FIL and SMIL, I still have to be on a game bit with them, so H went by himself and I had a girls night.  I needed it.  Today I'm working in the office and trying to drum up some holiday party business!

Oh and I did a lot of shopping.  More than I should have so I need to rest the credit card.  After I buy a few more colors from my cousin's online LipSense party of course.  I know it's a pyramid scheme, but it's honestly the only lip product I have ever worn that actually lasts hours vs minutes.
  • Options
    @CharmedPam and @kimmiinthemitten Idk when we get her (her name is currently Genevieve but DH doesn’t like it). She has to get vaccinated first. She is still a “street cat” but lives with her brothers and sisters (and a couple other dumpees) outside the Vet clinic. My friend actually saw her when she took her cat to the vet last week. My friend said she was super cute and friendly, wanting belly rubs and doing gymnastics when a plastic bag flew over her head. This city has a bad stray cat problem, half because they didn’t start dealing with it until 5-10 years ago (as bad as it is now, people say it is 10x better than it was) and half because expats leave cats behind when they move back. 

Kimmi- I am glad you were able to recharge a little bit with your girls. 

S+S- glad the storm wasn’t too bad for you. 
  • Options

I forgot my other big news.

I bought a new mattress.  I'm super nervous about it.  I did ridiculous amounts of research and read umpteen thousand Amazon reviews.  To come to this conclusion.  It's a very personal decision and there is no way to know ahead of time what mattress we will like best.  Sigh.

But Amazon was having a 15% off sale for your first furniture purchase when using your Amazon card.  So they suckered me into finally making this purchase, lol.

It's a CA King.  So it's huge.  All the mattresses I've had in the past have been Queens.  I'm hoping it is now big enough for my dog to be able to sleep on the bed with us...but without scrunching my legs, lol!  It's a Tufts and Needles.  With some kind of foam that is an advancement on the typical memory foam.  Or so they say. 

But that also meant we needed to get a new platform bed frame.  All in all, including the discount, it was a $770 purchase.  Gulp.  It feels like a lot of money for a "gamble".  But this particular company gives a 100 night sleep guarantee plus a 10-year warranty.  And their reviews for refunds were also good.

Oh!  And now we need a new sheet set, lol.  I'm thinking about splurging on Egyptian cotton with a 1000 tc.  $90 for a CA King set, which I know is a great deal for that quality, but I'm usually cheap on that kind of stuff, so it is a shell shock, lol.  I just want something really, really soft that is going to last at least a year.

I also discovered...thank you again Amazon reviews...that there are some real scammers on that site.  One of the most popular sheet sets is labelled as "Egyptian Quality" and a 1500 tc.  You see that?  "Egyptian Quality"  not "Egyptian Cotton".  And, although the description says 1500tc with no qualifiers.  A few people who got it said, on the package, it says something like "feels like 1500 tc" and that it is super thin. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2017
    Friday night was K's give up.  She was a little misty-eyed.  I was not, I was a lot of vodka tonic in and exhausted.  I am so glad it's all over for awhile now.

Saturday we were both "tasks" for a scavenger hunt fundraiser.  Basically people had to find us wandering around, complete the task we asked of them, then take a selfie to gain their points.  It was a blast.  My task was to do the whole YMCA dance.  One group actually caught me in front of the YMCA, so we were laughing hard.  K was in drag and made everyone show her "their best unicorn moves" with a unicorn horn on.

Sunday was the memorial for the young transgender woman brutally murdered in my area of my state.  It was difficult.  I find myself exhausted by the climate for the LGBTQ+ community in the world right now.

Oh, and to give an example:

K and I left the fundraiser Saturday.  We walked out, holding hands, chatting, like any other normal couple does.  We are about half way through the parking lot when we hear a male voice, screaming at the top of his lungs (really, I've never heard anyone this loud in my life), "I fucking hate [city and state where I live].  Fucking homosexuals," followed by something about the holy trinity and how no one  could call the cops on him.

I was able to see this man and where he was walking while he was screaming, but I didn't know if he could see or had see us or why he was screaming.  I was terrified.  There just so happened to be 2 people walking by us at the time, both allies who had been at the fundraiser, who stopped and told us, "We got you" and told us to walk home, while they stayed behind to buffer and make sure the man walked the other way.  I know who the 2 people are and am sending them thank you notes from K and I today.  I called the person who was in charge of the fundraiser and told them what was going on.  The man had been in the same hotel as the fundraiser, but we're not sure in what capacity.  The hotel is a really big supporter of our community, so we do know it was taken care of.

But yeah, that's a minor example of the state of the world right now for the queer community.  I have so many other personal anecdotes, both personally and from friends, that it's really depressing.
  • Options

@VarunaTT, I'm glad your weekend went well, overall.  Love the pic!  But I'm sorry to hear about the discrimination, hate, and even violence that the queer community faces.  Making fundraisers like that even necessary.

There is a billboard I sometimes drive past that brings awareness with a "count" of the number of transgender murders that occurred in the US this year.  The "number" on the billboard can easily be changed and it is sad to see it continually rise up as the year goes on. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @varunatt I am so sorry you had to experience that, especially the same day you celebrated the life of a person who was taken from this world due to the same hate.  People are disgusting.
  • Options
    It just makes me angry that you have live your lives in a world where that happens @VarunaTT. People are terrible, and I'm sorry. 
  • Options
    @short+sassy, thanks for the tile recommendation.  We're years away from floor changing but will look into it!  I am SO thankful H and i want the same mattress.  We'll need a new one too.  We like super soft. pillow top.  beauty rest makes the best.  Sounds like you got a good deal on your mattress though.  I wish it wasn't so costly.  Sheets too.  But invest in good sheets.  You use them (unless your on vaca) every. single. night. :)
    @kimmiinthemitten, I have a lipsense too! It feels weird on my lips though, and I never liked the color. I rarely use it.  I'm all for limecrime right now.
    @VarunaTT, I'm disgusted by that man idiot for you.  What the hell, man? So glad you hat those people to protect you.  Is that a pic of you an K?  It's super cute!! Glad you had fun despite the end of the night.

• Options
    @short+sassy, I'm glad to hear you're okay in NOLA.  I'm also so ready for hurricane / storm season to be over.  

My weekend sucked.  I'm sick AGAIN.  I'm slowly but surely getting better, but it's just so frustrating.  And I know that my ENT will just put me on antibiotics again, which I want to avoid unless it's absolutely essential.  

Astros lost yesterday ..... boooo.  But I'm off today for whatever you want to call it day, so I'm able to watch the game and get some rest.
  • Options
    Oh @VarunaTT I am so very, very sorry that happened to you a K. I'm even more sorry that it's only one example of what your experience regularly. 
  • Options
    @charmedpam, the weird feeling gets better.  I have 5 colors, including a black that looks silly on me, but at least I tried it.
  • Options
     @VarunaTT glad you had supportive people around. I am sorry you have such a downer on an otherwise great day.
  • Options
    Varuna - I love that pic of you and K, its so cute!  But I'm sorry that you had to face a person spewing such hate against people he does not even know.  What difference does it make if go home, hand in hand, with a woman or man?  I'm glad that you had people there who could be a buffer so you got home safely. 
  • Options
    Well, hell.  They put me to work anyway.  I am currently on my phone because our I.T. Department is logged into my computer trying to hook me up with the printer.  The printer I need for non work stuff.