Snarky Brides
Options

my fat butt

So, I need help, AGAIN.

Since the end of March, I have been really watching what I eat and exercising again. I must say though, that what I thought was under-eating (thought I was eating 11-1300cal a day) was probably eating smack dab where I need to (14-1600) - I recently bought a scale and was under calculating slightly, but I dont really believe that is the problem. Anyways, In that time I have been working out 4-5 days a week - 30mins of cardio, 30 mins of lifting (burning roughly 3-500 cal a day).

Since then, I have not lost a single solitary inch or pound, ive in fact gone UP 7.2lbs since then. I know its not muscle, or id be smaller, so im clearly gaining something else.

I had thought maybe it was attributed to me going off the pill at the end of march because its the only other thing I can factor in that has gone on in that time. I met with a doctor at a clinic this weekend and she said it was very unlikely it had anything to do with my birth control and that I am probably hardcore retaining water around my muscles because my body isnt used to working out. 7lbs of water sounds like a lot to me, but WHATEVER, shes the doctor.

So, my question to you, how the eff do I fix this? I will admit in the past 2 weeks ive become rather discouraged and while ive eaten OK (not great, but OK) I have only worked out maybe 2-3 times each week because im generally pissed off and dont give a crap whether I go or not. Trying to right that, so im going tonight. But I still need help on getting rid of this water.

Gimmie any tips you have. I also am not willing to post this on GIS (hate it there) or H&F (hate the nest), but I know you guys know your stuff.

Re: my fat butt

• Options
    Weight loss is more complicated then "calories-in, calories-out". My first two thoughts are that you might not be eating enough and your metabolism is slowing down because of it, and that more protein in your diet might help (since I have no idea what you normally eat). Drinking more water helps with water retention.
  • Options
    Are you getting enough salt in your diet? I know that sounds counterintuitive, but fluid retention can be the result of a sodium imbalance (either too much OR too little). I'm going to assume you have been drinking water like a madwoman, so maybe you are depleting your sodium stores? 

The only other thing I can suggest for getting rid of excess fluid in muscle tissue is massage. I have issues with my calves retaining fluid and lactic acid, and I've found that Active Release Therapy and Trigger Point Therapies, administered by both my chiropractor and at home really help to release the trapped fluids. I'd think that if you are working out that much, you may need some massage (even self massage) to help get the fluid moving. It can't hurt to try, right? I use a Trigger Point Therapy kit at home and my chiro does all the active release stuff. Sometimes it hurts, but it really works, especially if you are also building up lactic acid, which can create adhesions on the muscles and lead to overuse injury. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    i take in 120-150g of protein a day, and drink roughly 3-4litres of water daily. most of my meals lastweek were right on the 1600cal mark which according to my calculations (self done and online generated) is my highend for weightloss.
  • Options
    If indeed water retention is your problem, perhaps upping your fiber-filled foods and water intake will do the trick.You did say you've been eating okay, but maybe bringing "okay" back to "great" will sort you all out.

I did lose 4 lbs my first week working out and dieting and I'm pretty sure that was all water since it came off so easily.  So I can definitely believe 7 lbs of it.  I'm sorry Nebb.  It sounds so frustrating.
  • Options
    Yeah I have nothing to add, I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry you are having such a hard time of it. I know how frustrating it can be. I'm sure these ladies can help you with something.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    i would think though that even if i was gaining water if be losing fat, so id get atleast marginally smaller but i havnt. my jeans fit worse than before and it was enoughg that i bought a size up so i have something to wear (which i hate). all that working out has accomplished absolutely nothing and it confuses me
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fat-butt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:43671063-02e0-47e1-8a58-b39da6e665b5Post:b48526fb-b577-41ea-a6b8-03183460a123">Re: my fat butt</a>:
    [QUOTE]i would think though that even if i was gaining water if be losing fat, so id get atleast marginally smaller but i havnt. my jeans fit worse than before and it was enoughg that i bought a size up so i have something to wear (which i hate). all that working out has accomplished absolutely nothing and it confuses me
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This makes me think even more that a look at your sodium and electrolytes, as well as some massage, may do you some good. Seriously. Also, maybe you are eating too much protein, but not lifting enough to need it all, so it is being stored as fat? That was a theory presented to me by my chiro when I stopped lifting so much but was still eating the same. SHe said I needed to fuel differently, and that I was killing my liver by eating so much protein that my body couldn't use (because I wasn't breaking down the muscles and they didn't need as much repair). I know, it initially sounds hairbrained, but it might be something to think about. 

</div>
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    That sounds really lame.

Is there anything new you've added to your diet?  Something that you wouldn't think is bad for you that maybe actually is?  i did that once with those damn lunchable meals for work.  I couldn't figure out why my rings wouldn't fit.  Sure enough, my healthy turkey and cheese sandwich was giving me a 1500 mg dose of sodium every lunch.

• Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Ditto Sarah on the salt intake.  Do you know where you usually are there?

What about food intollerances?  I know you've said you've likely got a dairy one, any chance there might be more in there too?   
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    Hmm, well I dont know what sodium is in my protein powder or soy, but processed foods I eat are a kashi bar, lunch meat (2 slices on bread), maybe a diet pop once in a while, in marinades for my meat, salad dressing, bread and I usually add a sprinkle of salt on my eggs. I will try calculating it for today when im doing my journal to see what its at, cause who knows!
    I dont think, god I hope, I dont have any other intolerances - I have virtually no dairy now aside from the odd protein shake I get at Hercs (twice a month, at best?). Adam said maybe its the soy's fault, but I use a FF soy and its measured and counted in my calories like everything else so Im not sure if thats it. If I cant have dairy AND soy, im quitting. Can gluten intollerance cause that too? uuuuuughhh :(
  • Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2011
    Until i got off gluten, I was bloated constantly.  In fact, I ate gluten on Saturday because I forgot my pill and said the hell with it because that brat on a bun with a side of chips was delicious.  I'm still feeling the effect today. 

Even though I have stayed at my calorie goal all weekend, I'm up 3 lbs since Friday. Damn gluten. Nothing that a good week of staying on track won't fix.

edit: soy and dairy give me problems too.  Although much more minor
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Nebb, it might be worth a shot to try out an elimination diet, just to see if there's anything else causing you issues.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    uuuuugh no gluten too?? i seriously hate my body. worth a shot, i guess!
  • Options
    Totally worth a shot.

By the end of a week without I felt so much better.  More energy & bloating gone. It was obvious that gluten was the problem.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    thanks guys :) ill give it all a shot. sarah, i am really going to look into those massage/chiro things you mentioned - that makes a lot of sense to me so i want to learn more. ill let you know how it goes, cant cut out gluten today but i will try for the rest of the week.
  • Options
    Nebb...what did the doctor base her assessment on? Was it all from your anecdotal comments or has she run any tests? 
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    anecsotal - i have to go get bloodwork done sometime in the next 2 weeks and i have a calorimeter test coming up too. it was just a quick opinion.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    One maybe weirdish thought I have is that it might be time to switch up what you're doing entirely and go on a different type of program. I know I've been flogging WW a lot lately, but honestly I can't believe how well it has worked for me (23lb so far). I had success in the past seeing a nutritionist, counting calories, and looking at food groups and all that jazz, and it worked great the first time aound. Then I went off it, gained back everything I had lost plus another 30, and was totally miserable. When I tried getting back on track again, I found I couldn't stick to that program anymore. I gave it a rest for a few months, then got back on the horse with WW. Relearning how to lose weight with a different set of rules really helped me.

Not saying it has to be WW - but it seems like your body just doesn't want to do what you want to do right now. It might be a good time to step back and reassess.

One other thing I learned with WW is that I can, if I choose, eat back all the points I earn by exercising. I'm kinda here and there about using my weekly points, but on the days I exercise, I always make an effort to replace the calories I burn. I think it is really working.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Nebb, I think the tests might help to pinpoint more of what your issue is...make sure the blood tests include hormonal tests and thyroid and stuff like that. 

I also know that your metabolism can take a hit from 'dieting'...eating below your maintenance, then over, then at, then below again, it can all create havoc on your system. One suggestion might be to figure out what 'maintenance' is for you in terms of your caloric intake and just eat at that level for a few weeks (lets say 4), allowing your body to re-stabilize. Then begin eating at a deficit again to bring on weight loss. 

Just some ideas, definitely not a pro at this...
  • Options
    I agree with cutting out gluten for maybe a month and see what happens. I know for me it was pretty drastic, and not only the pregnancy part. I was stuck about 10 pounds above my goal weight for a good 6 months and nothing I did helped. I cut out gluten and lost over 10 pounds in less than a month. The fat that stayed on my thighs no matter what I did just melted away and so did the muffin top. My face cleared up for the first time since I was 14, I could sleep again, etc.
  • Options
    I know your doc says otherwise, Nebb, but I'm not totally convinced that it's not hormones at work here.  What bloods will she be running?
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    oh i for sure know my bormones are mucked up, ever since i went off the pill its been zit city on my chin, dairy only makes it worse. i had bloodwork done in december that came back normal, but she wanted new tests done (this isnt my reg doctor, this is the doctor @ the weight loss clinic my gyno sent me to), though im not sure what they include.

i get what youre saying numbers but i dont have the guts to eat that high, its like 2100-2400 or something (calcs are on my desk @ home) and that terrifies me. in my mind, if im gaining while eating 1600 i would absolutely baloon @ 2100+.
  • Options

I don't think it's a good idea to cut gluten out of your diet unless you really know for sure that it is the problem. Gluten free doesn't mean low calorie and you may be losing the vitamins and minerals contained in gluten products. Sorry guys, I know you all like the GF diet :(

Are you still drinking alcohol Nebb? I would cut all alcohol from my diet if you really want to lose weight. Alcohol in any form turns to simple sugars in the body.

As for salt intake- Many things that you would not think have a lot of salt really do. For example some cereals contain as much as 350 g. salt per serving. Packages deli meat-600-even more salt per serving. So if you think you may be using to much salt, try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible.

Exercise- Your body will initially lose weight and then stop because your body is trying to maintain it's weight for survival. You might need to up your exercise routine and change the routine you are doing.

• Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fat-butt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:43671063-02e0-47e1-8a58-b39da6e665b5Post:a250609b-2010-4135-97fb-73aeb672a9b4">Re: my fat butt</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's a good idea to cut gluten out of your diet unless you really know for sure that it is the problem. Gluten free doesn't mean low calorie and you may be losing the vitamins and minerals contained in gluten products. Sorry guys, I know you all like the GF diet :(
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

Don't be sorry.  I hate being gluten free.  I wouldn't do it at all if I wasn't certain that gluten was the reason i felt crummy all the time, bloated and had belly troubles.  I just suggested it because my doctor said that the only effective way to know if you have a gluten issue (outside of celiac's and more serious problems that can be detected via bloodwork and biopsy) is to exclude it from your diet for a week or two.

p.s. i've missed you
  • Options
    Out of curiosity...which vitamins and minerals would those be? My librarian says that as well but I have yet to find anything saying specifics. It seems to me that as long as you are still getting your starchy carbs in the way of rice crackers, breads, etc. you would still be meeting your nutritional needs. The alternate flours used in most GF products seem to be great sources of vitamins and minerals.

Not trying to be controvercial, just genuinely curious :)
  • Options
    Folate- BIG one if your of child bearing age . Other B vitamins. Mg, Ca, Zn, Iron Vit D.

A lot of GF products are not fortified.
  • Options

But of course this is just what my one textbook says.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fat-butt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:43671063-02e0-47e1-8a58-b39da6e665b5Post:6bc30d8d-32e1-4e42-8450-13f27fd5d08e">Re: my fat butt</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: my fat butt : Don't be sorry.  I hate being gluten free.  I wouldn't do it at all if I wasn't certain that gluten was the reason i felt crummy all the time, bloated and had belly troubles.  I just suggested it because my doctor said that the only effective way to know if you have a gluten issue (outside of celiac's and more serious problems that can be detected via bloodwork and biopsy) is to exclude it from your diet for a week or two. p.s. i've missed you
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

Miss you too! I have been trying to not get on TK and FB a lot.
  • Options
    Yay thank you :) It seems like most of the flours I use provide everything but the folate (which comes from the prenatals too).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards