Snarky Brides

my fat butt

2»

Re: my fat butt

• Oh that's good then! As long as you get all the V&Ms you need it should be okay :P
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    thanks ricks - what i dont get though is that im working out waaaay more than i had been. 0 calories burned a week, up to 900, and bumped up again to 2200. im lifting heavy again and doing hiit when possible, so the workouts are intense especially in comparison to 2 months ago. i also drink *far* less than i used to, when i do its just canadian 67s so im not getting all the carbs and cals that i would with other beers, but even then its fewer and far between that i indulge.

when i was drinking more, i wasnt even gaining weight this fast.
  • Aww, Nebb, I'm out the door and haven't read any responses, but I'm here for ya if you want to vent. I imagine you have to be gaining or at least maintaining muscle which is good, even if it's not visible, and your heart and body are healthy, which is something not a lot of people can say. I don't really know the right thing to say, but I support you and believe in you, and hope this plateau period ends really soon for you. (hugs)
    Photobucket
  • I'm just happy I finally got an answer! I've been wondering that for a while now but haven't been able to find any info. on specifics.
  • Definitely check sodium and potassium levels. They are more crucial than you think. Getting too much or too little can really screw you up. If the body thinks its starving or going through a drought, it will retain like a pro. The body hates losing weight. The protein is definitely something to check. The liver has to process everything and convert it to something it can use. If you have enough of carbs and too much protein, it work it's way back to fat in some cases. Check your hormones, but if you're getting off the pill your hormones should fix themselves over a little time. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fat-butt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:43671063-02e0-47e1-8a58-b39da6e665b5Post:a8f3714c-f5bf-4ac8-b6ca-dcdecaef9052">Re: my fat butt</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks ricks - what i dont get though is that im working out waaaay more than i had been. 0 calories burned a week, up to 900, and bumped up again to 2200. im lifting heavy again and doing hiit when possible, so the workouts are intense especially in comparison to 2 months ago. i also drink *far* less than i used to, when i do its just canadian 67s so im not getting all the carbs and cals that i would with other beers, but even then its fewer and far between that i indulge. when i was drinking more, i wasnt even gaining weight this fast.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

May be reaching here but have you had you thyroid checked?
  • NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fat-butt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:43671063-02e0-47e1-8a58-b39da6e665b5Post:75a13084-e436-41cd-89f7-71839aae52cd">Re: my fat butt</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: my fat butt : May be reaching here but have you had you thyroid checked?
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]
    in december with my other bloodwork, doc says its totally normal. i gain weight relatively fast so i was worried and specifically made him check. ive never gained weight like this, though, while working out and watching what i eat.
  • Wow this is odd. Man Nebb sorry you are dealing with this. :( I hope you find a solution soon!
  • So, this is probably a reading comprehension fail on my part, but are you eating 1100-1600 cals total, or do you add more when you exercise? I'm asking because if you're eating 1600 calories in a day and burn off 500 during a really intense workout, you're dipping below the starvation threshold (1200 calories is the minimum a person should consume if they're not getting physical activity). If you're eating too little, your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto every calorie you consume. Doing it once in a while is fine, but doing it often will tell your body to hold onto everything it can.

So, on days when I see clients all day and sit on my butt, I eat around 1300 calories since I'm not really moving. On days when I burn 600 calories doing bikram yoga, I eat around 1900 total to compensate for calories burned during exercise. Livestrong has helped me to get a realistic idea for how much I burn when I exercise.

I'm guessing you already know all this, but I figured I'd mention it JIC (or in case anybody else reading this didn't know).

The only other thing I can think of is that 150g of protein is a LOT. Is it because of the weight lifting you've been doing? I know that my body requires 33g of protein a day. I often eat a little more than that, but rarely over 70-80g.
  • mnsearsmnsears member
    First Comment

I had to go gluten free last year after YEARS of a vicious diarrhea/constipation cycle, bloating, headaches, fatigue... and everything else wonderful, but I make sure to put back what my body might be missing. My doc suggested pre-natal vitamins because they're high in iron and folates, which most women need more of anyway, especially those of us who are GF. I'm down 20 pounds and feeling great. I say give it a try, but make sure to repelenish what you might be missing.

• NebbNebb member
    im eating generally the same as when i lost weight 2yrs ago and it worked then, i ate around 15-1700 then, even on work out days. spark people, livestrong and calculations from some book numbers gave me have all given roughly the same #s even when considering activity. the 1100 was an estimate that was most likely wrong because i wasnt weighing food then and the protein is becausse of the lifting. realistically though, if i cut out the protein powder i use (i scoop is like 26g) i will end up cutting 260cals on work out days (have 1 in morning, 1 after work out - its 130 cal eatch) which just seems more detrimental.
  • NebbNebb member
    already taking prenatals actually :)
  • k, well your thyroid was checked in December but when did you go off the pill? That could have affected it as the entire hormonal system and endocrinological systems in your body are linked. Going off the pill can affect your testosterone, progesterone and estrogen levels, as well as thyroid hormones...

I still think that the changes in your eating habits along with deficits has led you to need a metabolic repair. Technically, if you eat at maintenance then you can't gain weight because you are burned as much as you are taking in. If you are still gaining at what you presume to be your maintenance then your maintenance estimate is off.

I know it's hard but wait to see what the doctor says after the blood and caloric tests. I am thinking of you all the time lady...I hope it gets better soon, I hate to see you down. :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fat-butt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:43671063-02e0-47e1-8a58-b39da6e665b5Post:c938fdb2-530a-4a56-b7ce-96c466d5f97d">Re: my fat butt</a>:
    [QUOTE]already taking prenatals actually :)
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

<div>If this were TN, I'd give this a thumbs up. </div><div>
    </div><div>I don't have much else to add, but good luck! Sorry you're going through this; it's gotta be frustrating.</div>
  • NebbNebb member
    last day on the pill was like march 30th or something, so its possible? the whole maintenence thing doesnt make sense to me, whatever my body is doing doesnt make sense. in my head, im doing everything right (or close to it) and still gaining. its to the point where im trying to figure out what kind of major diseases might be causing this because its getting ridiculous. in my humble opinion, i should have lost 7lbs by now, not gained them. when i wasnt working out or counting, i was gaining a pound every 3 weeks or so? now its almost 1 a week.
  • I know I am late to this sorry.

I have nothing to add but I am sorry and I really hope you figure out what it is that's doing this to you. Best of luck in figuring everything out and getting your body back on the right track.
  • Gluten free=amazeballs. It is rough in the beginning, but the results are worth it. No bloating, stabilized blood sugars, and other good things. 

Also, have you tried drinking lemon water? Lemon is a natural diuretic, so it'll pull excess water back into the capillaries form your tissue to be excreted. 
  • edited May 2011
    Ricks mentioned before that asparagus was a diuretic, too. If you think it's water retention, Nebb, that might help? Or at least try and if it doesn't make a difference, there's no harm.
  • Nebb, adding to my last post.... I love how my FI can cut out one little thing from a meal and drop 10 pounds in a week. Unbelievable. I look at brownie and my tush grows. 

Weird question, have you had any history of ovarian cysts or endometriosis?
  • this happened to me... my problem was the fact that i stopped eating too early and wasn't keeping my metabolism going, so my body in fact thought i was starving it. so everytime i ate after that it automatically stored it as fat. you need to eat small meals every 3-4 hours a day with no mroe than 12 hours between dinner and breakfast. HTH xoxo
  • NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fat-butt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:43671063-02e0-47e1-8a58-b39da6e665b5Post:7931d8d0-62d2-48d9-b570-cb79403ae987">Re: my fat butt</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nebb, adding to my last post.... I love how my FI can cut out one little thing from a meal and drop 10 pounds in a week. Unbelievable. I look at brownie and my tush grows.  Weird question, have you had any history of ovarian cysts or endometriosis?
    Posted by bakekiwi[/QUOTE]
    Nope, not that im aware of.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards