Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Invitation Wording- for reception food that will be served

2»

Re: Invitation Wording- for reception food that will be served

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_invitation-wording-for-reception-food-that-will-be-served?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:51efb65f-c3da-4789-a76d-aea43aced832Post:cfd8d399-d34a-4923-836c-35dcd01e0096">Re: Invitation Wording- for reception food that will be served</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have your wedding in the evening at sunset if that is when you and your fiance would like your ceremony. If your budget does not include prime rib or any other meal, then throw a potluck and ask your guests to bring a dish in lieu of a gift. The previous posters are correct that in the evening folks will be hungry, but it is their choice to participate in your celebration. If they do not approve of your choices or the food you can provide them, then they can choose to leave immediately after the ceremony or not attend at all. If you have a good relaionship it should not matter. If they are attending your reception for the food, then you are better off without them there. Weddings have not always been the over-the-top events some of them are today, costing as much or more than a new car. And yet guests attended, gifts were given, and a good time was had. Lighten up everybody and remember it is about celebrating your marriage with those you care about!!!
    Posted by dragonridermom[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with you. People get so caught up in "I'm a guest, I deserve this..." mentality that they lose sight of what is truly important, two lives of the people they love coming together. It seems to me that the OP can't afford it and this is what she is able to do. Do you go to a wedding to be fed or do you go to celebrate someone close? There is more to life than what etiquette states...believe it or not.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_invitation-wording-for-reception-food-that-will-be-served?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:51efb65f-c3da-4789-a76d-aea43aced832Post:f07eb24d-adce-4980-a3a9-fb394acf3ee8">Re: Invitation Wording- for reception food that will be served</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invitation Wording- for reception food that will be served : I absolutely agree with you. People get so caught up in "I'm a guest, I deserve this..." mentality that they lose sight of what is truly important, two lives of the people they love coming together. It seems to me that the OP can't afford it and this is what she is able to do. Do you go to a wedding to be fed or do you go to celebrate someone close? There is more to life than what etiquette states...believe it or not.
    Posted by julie650[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is terrible advice.  It isn't about "I'm a guest and I deserve this", it is about <strong>hosting</strong> your guests CORRECTLY for the time of day.  The reception is the thank you for the guests.  You don't ask them to provide their own "thank you" - YOU do that!

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_invitation-wording-for-reception-food-that-will-be-served?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:51efb65f-c3da-4789-a76d-aea43aced832Post:cfd8d399-d34a-4923-836c-35dcd01e0096">Re: Invitation Wording- for reception food that will be served</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have your wedding in the evening at sunset if that is when you and your fiance would like your ceremony. If your budget does not include prime rib or any other meal, then throw a potluck and ask your guests to bring a dish in lieu of a gift. The previous posters are correct that in the evening folks will be hungry, but it is their choice to participate in your celebration. If they do not approve of your choices or the food you can provide them, then they can choose to leave immediately after the ceremony or not attend at all. If you have a good relaionship it should not matter. If they are attending your reception for the food, then you are better off without them there. Weddings have not always been the over-the-top events some of them are today, costing as much or more than a new car. And yet guests attended, gifts were given, and a good time was had. Lighten up everybody and remember it is about celebrating your marriage with those you care about!!!

Posted by dragonridermom[/QUOTE]
    I know I'm going to take a ton of flack for this, but I actually like this idea...under the right circumstances.  Yes, it certainly goes against traditional rules of etiquette, but I really do feel like the core of good etiquette is making your guests comfortable, and I know plenty of people who would be very comfortable with this as guests (myself included).  Would this be appropriate for an otherwise formal affair? No! Would this be an appropriate wedding to invite your sixth cousin and the girl who sat beside you in eighth grade Englsih but now lives 14 hours away to? No! However, for a very small, informal wedding of only  family and a handful of <strong>very </strong>close friends (I'd say 30 people max), I think it could be rather charming.  I know that as a broke grad student, scraping up the money for a decent wedding present is pretty stressful, and I'd be thrilled to bring my signature cajun mac and cheese in lieu of a gift.  This would help aleviate guilt for those who can't afford a $100 wedding present, and would guarantee that everyone in attendence has at least one dish they'll like.  Just keep in mind that if you're doing something this casual, you can't really get away with a princess tiara, a blinged out $2,000 wedding gown, elaborate centerpieces, and a 200 person guest list.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards