Florida-Central Florida
Options

They stole my dress.... and my money!!!!!! (LONG)

Hey everyone....
I have been swindled and robbed by the Bridal Store that has my dress, my mom's dress, and my bridesmaids dresses.
Savannah Grace Bridal in Waterford Lakes appears to have potentially closed for business sometime in the last week, with not a trace of where to find them.
I ordered my dress with them in February, in which they gave me an ETA of May. May came and went with no dress, they said the dress manufacturer was back ordered and that the dress was running 4-6 weeks behind and would be in at the end of June. Well, middle of June comes, and I try to start communicating with her to find out if we are still on track to recieve it, and she starts beginning to dodge my emails. I can't get in touch with her at the store, becuase she is never there, the only one to talk to is the seamstress, who knows NOTHING! In the meantime, I had already begun the process of ordering the BM dresses through her becuase she offered a decent discount when I ordered my gown. One of the last BM's went into the store 2 weeks ago, and the seamstress said she didn't see any payments or orders made by any of the other BM's. This is of course untrue, becuase I know what my girls have all done and hve emails and reciepts to prove it. Long story short, they finally "find" everyone's info and said they are moving forward with the orders. This was last week, after my mom had gone into the store to have her alterations done to the dress she alerady pre-paid for (plus alterations) which is still in the store right now waiting to be altered. Since then, we haven't heard a peep and the store remains closed. Yesterday, I decide to take matters into my own hands and call another location that sells that designer to see if they are having the same "back-order" problem. They say, NO. They do some investtigation into the matter, turns out my dress has been ordered but is waiting on Savannah Grace Bridal to pay thier bill to have the dress released. So, needless to say, they have been lying to me for months and have no intention of paying thier bill to get my dress to me. At this point, we don't know if the store is closed for business for sure, but all signs point to yes, as my mom went by the store yesterday and today and the location is still closed and when she looked into the window, it appears that half of their inventory is gone. I am left right now with no answers and no solutions. It looks to me that this lady has every intention on skipping town and taking all the money with her. We called the property mgmt of the building she rents to see if they could help out, and they said they can't give out any information and is basically protecting his tenant. So, obviously she is making her rent, or else he wouldn't be concerned. My mom and i are completly at a loss of what to do. I have this awful feeling like this lady is going to run away with all of our money, free as a bird with no consequence.
This is just the most awful thing ever!!! Any suggestions??

Re: They stole my dress.... and my money!!!!!! (LONG)

• Options
    Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG.... most attorney's offer free consultations, I'd go tell your story to one of them and see what they suggest. I'd also try your best to get ahold of the lady and demand a refund immediately (and the get of the dresses that they already have or demand a refund for those as well). Good luck, sorry this is happening to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    adarlingztaadarlingzta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Start documenting everything. Send a formal letter requesting either status in writing or refund to the last known address via certified mail. They should be listed on SunBiz's site so you should at least be able to get owner's information. I might even google her or whitepages.com and mail the certified letter to her home too if you can find it. 

Isn't there one of the news stations that has a consumer advocate? Might make a call to them. If you/mom/BMs put it on your credit card, call and place a complaint with them. Should be able to at least refund your money through a charge back. 

Sorry you are having to deal with this =(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh my.... That's terrible!!! After reading your post my thought would be  to look up the business license information on Sunbiz.org (http://www.sunbiz.org/corinam.html).  I checked and you can see the mailing and physical address of the business and the name and address of the registered agent (Sherry Baker).  That woudl be your best bet b/c she has her home address listed.  I'm not sure how you would want to handle that from there...

I hope they make good on your dresses.  I imagine she has other customers in the same spot too.  That's awful!!! I'm sorry you have to go through this.
    jeannie ♥ harry {05.01.10}
    married bio with vendor reviews
    planning bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WOW! I was in there last week & the lady said the store was going to be closed to following Monday/Tuesday. So maybe they are just unprofessional and close down when they go on vacation? They also opened 40 minutes after there "opening" time, so I went to Kohl's while I waited. I am SO SO SO sorry you are having to deal with that, what a nightmare! :( I wish I could be more help. I live like 2 minutes from there and pass by all the time.  If I happen to see them open, I'll let you know. I know they are also kind of partnered with that Glacie Cakes place in the same plaza, they may know what's going on!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OK... guys... got an update!! They are officially closed for business and have no intention on gettign anyone's money back to them. My mom was in Glacie Cakes while she was waiting to hear something and have one of the workers in there call the owner. hey were able to get a hold of the owner on the phone, and the owner started to yell at the employee to tell my mom to get out of the Glacie Cakes store and that she shouldn't be in there adn brining the employee into the middle of it. Then the sucurity guard told my mom that the owner (Sherry) had officially turned in her keys adn closed up shop.
    Now my mom is trying to get a hold of the courthouse to see what's involved in a civil court trial to take her to court. Silver lining is this...... the store that i called yesterday to find out more information from the manufacturer has already started putting in the work to transfer my dress order over to their store so that I can at least get my original dress.
    OMG!!! i can't believe this happened. DOes anyone know anyone else that has dealt with this store and have the same issues??? I think there are going ot be alot of people out there with lost money.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow. 

Just wow.  I was *thisclose* to ordering my dress from them.  Boy, am I glad I didn't.  I'm so sorry this is happening to you. 

IF in fact these people are trying to swindle you, they are guilty of a third degree felony theft if you paid more than $300 for the dress.  The rules for businesses (versus individuals) are different, but my suggestion would be to file a report with your local police department once you find out for sure if, in fact, they have no intention of delivering the dress.  Hopefully you have documented everything, and you can nail their rear ends to the wall. 

Good luck, let us know what you find out...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_stole-dress-money-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:66Discussion:15f17744-5964-4a22-907c-6344581f42a1Post:58170f4c-c7fe-42b8-8ad4-faa16b836520">Re: They stole my dress.... and my money!!!!!! (LONG)</a>:
    [QUOTE]OK... guys... got an update!! They are officially closed for business and have no intention on gettign anyone's money back to them. My mom was in Glacie Cakes while she was waiting to hear something and have one of the workers in there call the owner. hey were able to get a hold of the owner on the phone, and the owner started to yell at the employee to tell my mom to get out of the Glacie Cakes store and that she shouldn't be in there adn brining the employee into the middle of it. Then the sucurity guard told my mom that the owner (Sherry) had officially turned in her keys adn closed up shop. Now my mom is trying to get a hold of the courthouse to see what's involved in a civil court trial to take her to court. Silver lining is this...... the store that i called yesterday to find out more information from the manufacturer has already started putting in the work to transfer my dress order over to their store so that I can at least get my original dress. OMG!!! i can't believe this happened. DOes anyone know anyone else that has dealt with this store and have the same issues??? I think there are going ot be alot of people out there with lost money.
    Posted by briehannah[/QUOTE]

That woman sounds like a piece of work.  I'll tell you what I would do....fight fire with fire.  Send an email to Fox 35, WESH 2, Local 6 and WFTV 9 explaining the situation.  Local TV news LOVE this kind of story.  These reporters are ruthless.  They'll hunt her down at her residence if necessary to get answers.  If she won't answer to you, she'll have to answer to them, or at the very least end up looking like an idiot at 5, 6 and 11pm.

Hell hath no fury like a ripped-off bride.
  • Options
    sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_stole-dress-money-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:66Discussion:15f17744-5964-4a22-907c-6344581f42a1Post:0db38524-a85f-4a50-8d75-37e7b171661d">Re: They stole my dress.... and my money!!!!!! (LONG)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: They stole my dress.... and my money!!!!!! (LONG) : That woman sounds like a piece of work.  I'll tell you what I would do....fight fire with fire.  Send an email to Fox 35, WESH 2, Local 6 and WFTV 9 explaining the situation.  Local TV news LOVE this kind of story.  These reporters are ruthless.  They'll hunt her down at her residence if necessary to get answers.  If she won't answer to you, she'll have to answer to them, or at the very least end up looking like an idiot at 5, 6 and 11pm. Hell hath no fury like a ripped-off bride.
    Posted by lauralulu777[/QUOTE]

lol Vey true . They will find out what the deal is and then that wau you will also be helping over brides .
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_stole-dress-money-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:66Discussion:15f17744-5964-4a22-907c-6344581f42a1Post:0db38524-a85f-4a50-8d75-37e7b171661d">Re: They stole my dress.... and my money!!!!!! (LONG)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: They stole my dress.... and my money!!!!!! (LONG) : That woman sounds like a piece of work.  I'll tell you what I would do....fight fire with fire.  Send an email to Fox 35, WESH 2, Local 6 and WFTV 9 explaining the situation.  Local TV news LOVE this kind of story.  These reporters are ruthless.  They'll hunt her down at her residence if necessary to get answers.  If she won't answer to you, she'll have to answer to them, or at the very least end up looking like an idiot at 5, 6 and 11pm. Hell hath no fury like a ripped-off bride.
    Posted by lauralulu777[/QUOTE]

OMG!!! I love it!!! I am totally taking your advice. And maybe that's what they can even title the story. Thank you guys for all your good thoughts. Hopefully this is the worst of the wedding drama... i do have 4 more months to go though.
  • Options
    sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well thank god you found out now and have enough time to get the dress from this new place. Could you imagine not finding out until like weeks before the wedding.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry that you are going through that! I almost ordered from them in March!

Make sure you call your bank/credit card to contest the charges. They should be able to help you out. 

My dress lady called me today to tell me that they are consolidating their stores and not to freak out if I drive by and see their store has closed. 

If you need another dress, Butterflies Bridal (Moving to the Ovideo Mall) is closing out their bridal dresses and are selling them off the rack at 50-75% off. 

Also, be sure to call the local media. They will LOVE this story!
    Planning Bio! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 154 Invited
    image 97 Celebrating in Person
    image 57 Celebrating in Spirit
    image 0 In Postal Limbo
    RSVP Date: October 26
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is crazy! I'm so sorry that happened to you... I can't imagine going through it! I would definitely take PPs advice about contacting the media and the courts... Good luck and let us know what happens!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG that is awful!  I am so sorry that happened to you.  I agree with taking it to the local stations.  I would also recommend looking into some sort of legal action the only problem being you probably won't see a resolution before your wedding.
  • Options
    jmucheech21jmucheech21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am SO sorry that happened to you.  That is so not right.  I would definitely look into pursuing legal action.
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Holy Crap you are the second person to come to this board and post this exact same thing happened to them. This store is awful.  Find out the owner's name and report her and her business to the Better Business Bureau.  This store is only less than a year old too.  I remember visiting there to look for dresses myself but I went to the Oviedo location.  Is the Oviedo location still open and can you call them or speak to them. Can you look up the manager's home phone number and call her at her house?  

For your first plan of action, you need to get another dress. If I were you, I would go to another store, explain your terrible story and see if they will give you a large discount if you order your bridesmaid's dresses and wedding dress with them. I know you'll lose a lot of money but I wouldn't wait to do this because if you wait too long, they won't be able to order in your dress at all.  Secondly, you need to contact a lawyer and take them to small claims court for your money back.  I would try to make this case a joint case with other brides.  Start by contacting the other bride on here a few posts down who had the same issue.  She's getting married this weekend though.  Then, post this information on every possible wedding ratings board and see if anyone else responds saying they had the same issue.  Contact those people to try and get them to sue with you.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    omg this is terrible I agree with the other girls take them to civil court and alert the media so other brides that might have been swindled by them can know.  I am so glad I know about this so I wouldn't invest in anytime with them looking for dresses myself.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so glad the other store was able to transfer your dress order over!  What store was it so we can know they are a good place to go?  
  • Options
    AileeneGAileeneG member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's crazy... I'm glad it seems to be working out for you though.  Is the other store able to do anything about getting your bridesmaids dresses too?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Theresa, you seem to remember the other girl who had issues. Did she ever even GET her dress?! I know she was still waiting on it like last week, and now they're gone! What a nightmare!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think she did get her dress. She bought another one from david's bridal that she ended up liking even more.  She's getting married this sat so I doubt she'd be on here to confirm if she got it or not.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow! Someone needs to pay for this, that's rediculous!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry this happened to you.  Greg Lawson writes a column for the Orlando Sentinel on consumer issues.  You might try emailing him.  Also, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  There is strength in numbers; hopefully if enough people complain the owner can be made responsible.

HTH!
    Maria
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ohh I've seen that consumer issues colomn. Try it! He almost always gets a positive response from the people. No one wants to be humiliated publically.
  • Options
    lrboxylrboxy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey I'm so sorry that this is happening! My dear friend has been having issues with them too and we just went to the store this morning and found the store exactly as you've described it. Please email me at lrboxy@gmail.com so that I can give you some information and connectyou up with my friend who is already taking some legal action. The more people combined together will bring about more awareness and pressure!
  • Options
    kayleighbkayleighb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am in the same boat! My wedding is in december and I gave the woman 60% down. Its kind of a long story but my fiance actually worked for her other store(Glacie Cakes) for 4 days....never got paid and found out that she was super sketchy!
    Anyway I went to Glacie Cakes today(after going to the bridal store and seeing the same thing) and talked to one of the employees and she said she has had TONS of brides come in the last week and that Sheri(SP?) the owner just ignores the notes and messages-when she actually comes in to Glacie cakes.
    I contacted a reporter for Channel 13 news and they were already in the process of doing this story but the bride wasnt able to show up for the interview so they are suppose to be calling me tomorrow and the story should air within the next couple of days Im guessing.
    My Dad has a great lawyer and when we contacted him he advised that (IF YOU PAID WITH DEBT OR CREDIT) to contact your bank or credit card company and begin a desput. A law suit at this point is going to be counter productive because as soon as the owner gets the letter from your lawyer she can just file for bankrupcy-then you get nothing. But if you dispute it based on the fact that you never got your product then she will have 10 days to get you your product or your money....IF YOU BUY another dress you might be left with TWO dresses and out a bunch of money.

Im so sorry someone is feeling the same way I do. I know it SUCKS!
    My email is soon2bKO@gmail.com- email me or you have any other questions or get any other solutions, and Ill do the same. Also email me if you want to be apart of the story they do on Channel 13 news-Im sure it will only help for them to see how many brides were left high and dry over this!

Good luck!!
  • Options
    murph1499murph1499 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They stole my dress...and my money TOO!!!! I just heard your story at work and now I'm jumping on your band wagon.  I ordered my dress in February too, called at the end of May and was told mid-July.  I was going to wait until next week to call again but it looks as though I'm out of luck.  My fiance is ready to kick some a** and take some names.  Let me know what kind of action you're going to take because I am MORE THAN WILLING to back you up!!!!!!
  • Options
    SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this is terrible. if any of you want to share the number of any of the media persons you are communicating with, post it here. maybe if all of you are contacting the same people it will help them see what a big problem this is. :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ladies this is terrible I am so sorry to hear about it all!

A good friend of ours is a reporter here in Orlando, I am emailing him right now about this story. Hopefully he can also help, the more news out there on it the better!

Update:
    ***I talked to my friend who reports for Channel 6 (JR Stone), he said they may be able to do a story, if you can send me your contact information for him.You can email me at and I will pass it along.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    225 image Invited
    127 image Making the Trip
    98 image Missing out
    0 image MIA
    RSVP date February 19th
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also ordered my dress from Savannah Grace Bridal and I actually just found out TODAY that they closed the store. I am so happy I found out sooner rather than later. But here is some helpful advice. The first thing I did was called the maker of my dress,  Essence of Austrailia. Their customer service reps were sooo sweet and very helpful. They said I was the 4th bride to call about Savannah Grace and that they are working hand in hand with other bridal stores to ensure our dresses arrive. They will call me back this week. My next step is to call my credit card company and dispute the charges for Savannah Grace and hopefully get refunded the money. I am also looking into involving the media or another outside source because what Sherry did to us was really low. Good luck to you and I hope you get your dress in time! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hye girls, I did a little more research into this and since Sherry has returned her keys to the property managers in Waterford Lakes, they can now go into the store and obtain your items. You will just need a proof of purchase/recipt and an item number for your merchandise. The number is (407) 830-4888. Hope this helps! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards