Gothic Weddings
Options

Conundrum- long & vent-ish

So, last week after the wedding, the wedding coordinator from the hotel sent me an email about how she enjoyed working with us and how everything was so much fun, etc.  DH and I had already discussed some things that we were unhappy about and had an email prepared to send her, so I finished it up and fired it off.It was a pretty good wedding.  There were no overt disasters, but there were a lot of shortcomings with the service, and DH and I felt that for what we were promised and how much was spent, we did not receive the quality we expected.  For example, we were in a separate room for cocktail hour.  They set the room with too few seats and FIL ended up snagging some from another room.  They didn't serve us all of the hors d'oeuvres, and it didn't look like the waiter was coming back, so DH had to go to the regular cocktail hour to have someone bring the rest.  The bridal party and the first three tables of family were supposed to be served drinks during dinner, even though the bar was closed to everyone else.  No one offered drinks to anyone, not even the bridal party.  The WC checked on me exactly once, she got me and DH each a drink halfway through dinner (after DH asked one of the waiters who never returned).  The she asked the bridal party, but by then the hour had passed and the bar had already opened again.  From what I heard, the bartenders didn't know how to make mixed drinks anyway.  I only ordered one drink from the bar and it, too, was made incorrect.DH and I also spent 40 minutes after it was all over telling the staff which decorations were ours and needed to be packed and which ones belonged to the hotel.  We wanted to go up to our room, but the staff was clueless and everyone kept coming to me.  The WC was nowhere to be found, and I imagine was probably home in bed.  We were also promised a bottle of champagne in our room and hot breakfast the next morning, neither of which was provided.She responded that she didn't have any complaints from the staff or anyone and she's surprised to hear that from us.  Of course there were no complaints- I couldn't find a member of the staff to help me, much less to complain to!  And DH and I were the only ones who knew ALL of the things that we were missing, so who else could complain about it?She didn't actually apologize or take responsibility for anything that happened.  It was, "I am so sorry to hear of all of your frustrations."  After basically saying that she has no idea how this is possibly her fault, she did offer us a one-night stay at the hotel with a bottle of champagne and a hot breakfast.DH and I plan to take her up on her offer because at least it's something... but I still feel like I want to yell at someone, because she just doesn't get it.  There was no one to speak with.  If the waiters had been around, I would have asked them for what we were missing to begin with.  And I did summon her once during dinner and it took 15 minutes for her to show up.  I didn't have 15 minutes to waste every time we needed something.I don't know if they were trying to save money by not providing us with everything, or if the staff was just that inept.  And I don't really think that a $200 hotel stay makes up for the food and drinks were weren't provided and the 40 minutes of our time.  But she still thinks that she and her staff are not to blame.Your two cents?

Re: Conundrum- long & vent-ish

• Options
    If things really upset you both that much, I would talk to her supervisor. Let her know you appreciate the free stay with the hot breakfast and the champagne, and that you'll take it, but let her know that you feel the need to discuss this further with her supervisor. She needs to know exactly how upset/disappointed you are with her/their service. I'm sure once you let her know you want to speak to the higher up, she will either accomodate you immediately OR pass you to the next person to talk to. Don't let it sit and bother you. Balls to the walls, on this girlie. Stand your ground and do what you think is right to get what you deserve/want.Good luck!
  • Options
    They did have the balls to send us a survey about the event.  It was from the sales coordinator, but the return envelope was addressed attention to our WC.  I'll have to start tracking the sales coordinator down...
  • Options
    That's what I'm thinking. You need to talk to a higher up to get what you wanted.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear all of that! I wish I could have a WC, but I can't afford it. If you are paying someone to coordinate your wedding you should get your moneys worth! Definitely talk to someone who is higher up on the ladder. I have a bridesmaid, who might end up being my MOH, and since I'm going to be in her wedding also, we plan on being each others coordinators (in a sense). We both have lists of things that we will be handling for each other. I actually have drawings of my place settings, and exact details for everything that people will be running around trying to figure out. I just helped a friend with a wedding and I had such a blast doing it! She told me how thankful she was that I could help out, and she has also offered to help at my wedding as well. I wish that some supposed professionals were that detail oriented! You should definately take the free hotel stay, and I'm sure if you really want, you could squeeze a bit more out of them. ;)
    Visit Gothic.weddings.com
  • Options
    Well, I didn't hire her per se.  She is the wedding coordinator at the hotel we had the reception at.  Which is why it baffles me so much that none of her hotel underlings had any idea what they were doing.I attempted contacting her supervisor on my lunch break today, and I didn't get a call back.  My dad suggested that if they don't offer something better, I should threaten to RSVP to their next bridal expo and tell everyone what their wedding services are really like.  ;)
  • Options
    It sounds like the place is just not very good at what they are supposed to do.  I doubt you are the only one that has had this type of issue as it sounds that they don't actually have a method to their madness. I would take the stay, talk to the sales rep, and make note to the manager of the property as well.  The only way to make sure it doesn't happen to someone else is to make sure EVERYONE is aware of the problem.  I would actually even make note to the manager of the waitstaff as well.  You shouldn't have to deal with all of these managers and make complaints, but it sounds as though the "wedding/event staff" is not a cohesive unit and they operate of their own accord anyway.  I agree that the night's stay is a little late now, but take it and see if you can recover some money...especially in the bar area as we know that's always one of those stressful decisions for the brides to have to make.  I would never have known looking at the pictures!  You guys looked fabulous and it looks beautiful!  Enjoy your marriage!
  • Options
    I agree, I think you should talk to someone besides her since she sees nothing wrong. Too often people say nothing and those that come after get the same mediocre service. I would also take the hotel room since it is something but if you sit on it and stew you'll regret not saying something for a long time.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards