Missouri-Kansas City
Options

Photographers

Who is everyone using (or used) for their photographer and why did you choose them with all the choices out there?  How much is your package?

Re: Photographers

• Options
    kelleyku05kelleyku05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using C. Lynne Productions.  Cassie and her husband work as a team and are providing 7 hours of coverage, some prints, $850 towards an albumn, and a disc with rights for $2400.  It was one of the harded decisions to make for me, but I chose them in the end because I felt they really got what I was wanting on our day, I want an album, and their work impressed me.

Update: I don't think I'd recommend my photographer to other brides.  I'm not overally impressed with my photos and it's taken a long time to get everything.  I won't get my DVD and copyrights for another 3 months!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Mark Sorenson (I posted a recommendation before). We wanted a small, local family business. He has a wide range of packages, but we chose a package for $1450 that includes 2 photographers, full day coverage, 4x6 proofs, and a CD of all images with copyright release. We also spent $150 for an engagement session that came with the CD w/ copyright release. We just got the epics back and they are wonderful!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going with Beth Hodge Photography. This was by far the hardest decision for us, as we wanted a ton of group shots and didn't see a lot of people that had those, plus someone who we felt comfy with. I think we met with over 10 photographers in person, not counting the tons we looked at online!
    We went with her unlimited package, all day with her and at least one other photographer, plus a CD and rights to all the images and a look book, and also the engagement session and CD with all the rights-  all for $2200. She does fantastic work and I'm so looking forward to workign with her!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Diana Hallford Photography.  The decision was so easy.  Her husband and I grew up together as neighbors, our families share a special bond.  When I met Diana and saw her work I knew it had to be her.  She does excellent work for a very affordable price.  She has a wide variety of packages starting at $750 and going up to $3000, all of which you can sort of customize.  We chose the $750 package which included 6 hours of wedding day coverage, complimentary engagement session with an 8X10 from the session (it was perfect to frame and use as a signing board/guest book), 90 days of online viewing, 100 online viewing cards (they are a business sized card that had our names, the website and password to view all of the pictures plus it included 3 pictures from the wedding on it...it was perfect to send with our thank yous), and a preview magazine that had all of the photos (unedited).  We chose to add an additional 2 hours of coverage to the package.  From our engagement session we purchased a collage that had 7 of our favorite photos and then from the wedding we did a really cute coffee table album.  All in all with all of the above we spent around $1500.  Diana is super sweet and great to work with.  She is excellent of helping you get what you want and try to stay within your budget.  She's creative and has a true passion for her work.  Her husband assists her with the photography.

You can check out her website dianahallford.com

Good luck and hope that helps.
  • Options
    snok83snok83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Jim Powers. I found him through this website and other folks on this forum.   He offered a free engagement session that included a disc with the rights to the photo.  His package is $1000, which includes 2 photographers, unlimited hours so to speak (he said he normally arrives early in the morning and then stays until 10 pm or the garter toss, we also get a disc and rights to print the photos.  Its only $850 if you only want 1 photographer. 

We recently took our engagement photos and were impressed with his work.  Thought his pictures were just as good as the more expensive photographers. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Jessica with epagafoto. She is truly amazing and this was the easiest vendor decision that we made.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used 49th street photography. Kevin is great and affordable. His prices start at $1000 and he loves using different techniques with the photos!!

He is on Facebook: 49th street photo and his website is: www.49thstphoto.com!!
  • Options
    dannmdannm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Mark Sorensen Photography.  We wanted to have two photographers, and Mark was able to provide that without a rediculously high cost.  What was more important was that we got the full-copyright release and a CD with all the full-res photos, with some touch ups, and we got this (and of course the proof book) pretty fast too.

Also, his brother was our videographer so we got a discount on that too.  We were very happy with how the photos turned out. 

We got the package we did because it was lower cost than the rest.  Its cheaper because it doesn't include an artsy album.  My wife is amazing at that and we decided it would be better and more personal anyway if she did it, so this worked out great.  (We made our wedding album using Blurb)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Heather at Shutter Happy Studios and found her on this site.  She was truly the best decision we made.  We decided to go with Heather because her work is absolutely amazing. It was exactly what we wanted.  I left a review on her knot page. You must check her out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Jim Powers as well. We chose him because we wanted a no-frills package. We were interested in a photographer taking photos, touch up the ones we wanted and giving us a disc (w/copyright release) so we could do all of the printing. We didn't need a book of proofs, or any of the other common additions to photography packages.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_photographers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:82Discussion:c8e48961-55d7-4374-a56b-0b86fbef5964Post:73fc6c57-16cf-4544-8485-96b29fe9e455">Re: Photographers</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are using Jim Powers. I found him through this website and other folks on this forum.   He offered a free engagement session that included a disc with the rights to the photo.  His package is $1000, which includes 2 photographers, unlimited hours so to speak (he said he normally arrives early in the morning and then stays until 10 pm or the garter toss, we also get a disc and rights to print the photos.  Its only $850 if you only want 1 photographer.  We recently took our engagement photos and were impressed with his work.  Thought his pictures were just as good as the more expensive photographers. 
    Posted by snok83[/QUOTE]

We are using Jim Powers too. If was pleased with his simple approach. However, I didn't know there was an option for 2 photographers,especially for only an extra $150. This is definitely something I need to look into!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    KittyW11KittyW11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Photos Edge. It's a husband and wife team, and they're really fantastic. They're so sweet and talented--I can't wait!!
  • Options
    sumnerlynnsumnerlynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I have hired Kevin from 49th Street Photo. We have only done the engagement/family pictures with him, but can't wait to see what he does for our April wedding. We couldn't have asked for more. His unique and creative eye created more than we could have hoped for.
  • Options
    blrunnerblrunner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used One Tree Photography. www.onetreephotoservices.com. For the prices, you get everything you need. They also just started doing videography -- wish I had the chance to book them for that. It's pretty amazing stuff.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Shelley Paulson Photography. She is from Minnesota, and will have to travel to KC for the wedding. She's excellent though! She gave us a deal because she's a friend of mine, but her package was still pricey: $2800. This is for 8 hours of coverage with a second shooter, and a CD. I'm not sure all the rights we get. The reason I chose her instead of someone less expensive was because I really trust her to get the photos and look I want. I've done some photography with her and she's just a really great person. Besides that, she's a phenomenol photographer that uses natural light really well.
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    yogiebhillyogiebhill member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Royal Photography llc. He is very talented and I love his work. Used him for my photo shoot last weekend and once I saw his proofs Dre and I were hooked. Haven't selected a package yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We haven't decided for sure on a photographer, but I am meeting with David Tsai of Wirken Photography today. I absolutely love their documentary style approach and the photos of theirs I have seen are stunning. They are on the pricey side...$3500 for 10 hours of coverage and an engagement session. But photography is one of the things we are willing to spend a little extra on, so hopefully it works out!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I really love Katie at http://www.breitphotography.com/index2.php.  She's doing our LA wedding next year and our Kansas reception.   She's one of those people that makes you feel incredibly comfortable.  She's professional, down to earth and creative. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We went with a family friend's recommendation and went with Ria Photography.  I picked her because of the recommendation, but also because after I looked at her website, I wanted to meet with her and she made me feel so at ease during our meeting, I walked away feeling really good about making a good choice.  We booked with her at 2400, but it included a $400 print credit, and a disc of images.   I absolutely love my photos she sent me.  She not only had us totally relaxed during the day, but also had personalized touches, like instead of online proofing, she had a little book with our photos she printed and helped us design our album.  She brought champagne and chocolate strawberries for our album design meeting, and this tiny fashion photography magnifying scope that made me feel like a magazine editor while picking out my own photos for the album.

I loved working with her and her "extras" made her so worth it.  I forget her website because I think there's mulitples, but she's the one in kansas city and she has a new blog and a new site, but google Ria Photography Kansas City, and I'm sure she comes up.  She's totally a doll, and I love my photos :)  She'll make you feel glamourous not just on the day of the wedding, but throughout the whole process!
  • Options
    dmnorthcraftdmnorthcraft member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jesseca Hattey at epagafoto.  She is the assistant photographer, so was cheaper than the head Jessica Roark - $3400 for 10 hours on the wedding day, CD with all images, rights to the photos, an engagement session, and CD/rights to the engagement photos.  Our engagement pics were fantastic and i've received TONS of compliments on them!  It is pricey, but they are so highly rated on all wedding sites that it's worth it.  I didn't want to take chances with the photography. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking of using http://www.photobybeth.com/
    She took some family pictures for my cousin and they turned out so cute! And she is the cheapest I have found. Her most expensice package is $950 plus $150 for the CD of all your pictures. Plus, she does a FREEEEEEE engagement package if you use her!
  • Options
    jenajjthrjenajjthr member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We are going with Mark Sorenson as well.  I looked through so many photographer's galleries trying to decide who I wanted.  I loved the pics that Mark took.  When we met with him and saw the pics that his assistant takes, it was a done deal.  Both have an awesome eye for taking beautiful pics.  His prices are great too, bonus!  Prices range from 1450 to 2350.  The $1450 includes both photographers and is basically all day.  He price list says a number of hours, but he said that they don't really follow it since he likes to do the first look pics which adds hours to the beginning of the day. 

We also just got our e-pics back and I love them.  I hate my picture taken, but he was very good and making me feel comfortable and relaxed. 
  • Options
    vikkilyn13vikkilyn13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have not made a final decision yet but we are meeting with Albaugh Photography and Phomentum Photography...

Albaugh Photography offers a package for 500.00, it includes a 3 hr engagment session and all day wedding coverage, which includes a dvd will all rights.

Phomentum photograph offers a package for 500.00 and it includes a 2 hr engagement session and 6 hrs on the wedding day, dvd with full rights and 75 custom enhanced images. Plus he said you typically receive 200 photos for every hour of booking....now that is an amazing package.

They both have great photos and I am looking forward to booking one of them to do our wedding in October 2012.
  • Options
    MrsBoneyMrsBoney member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Kevin McBride with McBride Photo Design. We chose him for his photojournalistic approach and his ability to really capture the emotions through the lens while telling a story. I know I sound like an ad here, but that's the truth. He really is good.

However, we are using him because our number one pick was already booked on our date. Jaime Russell with Digitalive Images is absolutely amazing!!!! She also has a photojournalistic approach and catches the mood very well. She is also fun to work with and has tons of creative ideas to make your photos unique; but at the same time can have a very classical look if that's what you like. She is amazingly versatile and I would HIGHLY recommend you at least check out her website!

http://www.digitaliveimages.com/

She is completely worth it!!!
  • Options
    We went with Colby Moore Photography.  He's based out of Springfield but is constantly here in KC.  He did wonderful, and I got lucky and found him when he was just starting out, so it only cost us $550.  However, that was a few years ago, and I believe he's a little more expensive, but still within the $1000-$2000 range.  He did great!  Colby Moore Photography's site

Another great photographer starting out is Liz Ogle.  She has talent, and she's just starting out - so she's cheap for now trying to bring in clients.
    Liz Ogle Photography's site
  • Options
    Hamilton Photography, was $1200 and included engagement session and full day coverage with CD of pictures. www.hamiltonvideoproductions.com
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm having problems deciding between Melissa Lin Ellis and Deprisco Photo. Love both of their stuff, them as people, and prices are about the same for what we want (about $2300 for 8 hours day-of, rights to photos, 2 photographers, includes engagement session). 

Has anyone ever had a BAD experience with either, either before, during, or after your wedding? 
  • Options
    We're using Jesse Blacklaw Photography. She did an incredible job with our engagement pictures. And she worked with us to stay well within our budget.  We're super excited!

http://jesseblacklawphotography.zenfolio.com/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards