Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

those who cut or plan to cut their hair after the wedding

Re: those who cut or plan to cut their hair after the wedding

• Options
    CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I'm growing mine out for the wedding.  I prefer it short, but my hairstylist (who has since become my friend) refuses to let me cut it; she says I'll be so disappointed when she's styling my bridesmaids into gorgeous updos and I just get a touch of gel or whatever in my short hair.  She's probably right.  :(  

It's down to my shoulderblades now, and so ridiculously thick.  I hate it -- especially in our 115 degree summers!  It's all getting chopped off after the wedding. 
  • Options
    I looked at your bio hair inspiration, I am guessing you could have your hair the length of your sig pic.  Well, if it was me doing your hair, I would say you definitely could! 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    I'm growing mine out so I can wear an updo for the wedding, but as soon as it's over I plan to cut it again.  I generally don't like how I look with long hair, but the wedding hairstyle I want is an updo.  It's also kind of nice to be able to wear a ponytail in the summer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have a bob normally, and my hairdresser is making me grow it out to an ugly mullety bob so he can style it for the wedding. I hate it so much, and the only good thing about it being longer is that I can put it in little pigtail nubbins at the gym. My next haircut is scheduled 5 weeks after the wedding. It is ALL coming off.
  • Options
    Grew my hair out for the wedding....then cut a good deal of it off.  It was still too long for me, I look much better with shorter hair.

BEFORE (On our Honeymoon)

NOW, I am so much more comfortable.  but it's the style I usually have.

"Never Argue with an Idiot, They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
  • Options
    i am i am i am

typically i hack it off every so often and donate to Pantene (they don't make people pay for the wigs - Locks for Love does)

but the FI likes it longer so I can hold on to longer hair a big longer i suppose  :0)
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_those-cut-plan-cut-their-hair-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb23a96f-f333-4642-90eb-f8ba2af9369dPost:4dbcd8a1-73fb-4934-a2c0-2f104cccee0f">Re: those who cut or plan to cut their hair after the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I grow it out, get bored, chop it off, get bored, grow it out (lather, rinse repeat).  I was in a grow it out phase when we got engaged, but I've been fighting the chop it off urge because of the wedding.  I'll probably chop it off shortly after we get back from our honeymoon.  I want to change the color again too, but I'm leaving it status quo until after the "big day".
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

Me too. Mine was a little longer than chin-length when we started dating, kept it that way for a few years, then FI asked me to grow it out since it had been a while. I did, it got really long, I hated it, and recently chopped off several inches. It is still below my shoulders but much more manageable. After the wedding I want to cut it above the shoulders again, just because I have seen a few styles I would love to try.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am SO EXCITED to chop my hair off after the wedding. The DAY after the wedding, if I have my way. I'm growing it out because I want long-ish hair for the wedding, but I can't wait to have my short bob back again.
    tiffandshel.tumblr.com
    www.tiffandshel.com/wedding

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    My hair usually hovers around shoulder length, but right now it's about 4 inches past my shoulders.  I plan on keeping it long until the wedding (next July) so I can have plenty of options, but it's already driving me crazy.  I'm hoping to have a couple more inches so I can donate it after the wedding, also.  I chopped about 11 inches off about 2 years ago (it got ridiculously long because I had no time to get it cut), and I loved the style it was after the chop, so I want to do that again after the honeymoon.

Before the chop (and maybe just a little longer than I'm hoping for by this time next year):

And after (wow, it felt so good!)

• Options
    I've always had long hair, but this is by far the longest I've had it since high-school (down to my butt when it's straight!) It's so long it actually weighs about 2lbs. I HATE IT! And here's the kicker--the style I want requires lots of volume, so even with having curly long hair, I STILL needed to buy hair pieces! My head is gonna weigh a ton on my wedding day.

Does anyone know if you can donate hair that's been dyed? I wanted to donate it post honeymoon when I do a massive chop, but I was told they won't take hair that has been dyed... that true?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rache, do you have a picture of said hairstyle? I'd like to see the hairstyle that requires THAT much volume/hair.

and yea, Locks for Love will take hair that is dyed--but not with henna, and no highlights/bleach.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    My plan WAS to grow my hair out as long as possible then whatever style short or long would work for the wedding, this way I had more options. But it was going to get cut to at least shoulder length after. 

But when I left him, a week later I got my hair cut because I HATED my long hair. I was able to get 11 inches cut and donate it. It was the longest I ever had it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_those-cut-plan-cut-their-hair-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb23a96f-f333-4642-90eb-f8ba2af9369dPost:a2dd6d8f-8210-42cb-96ec-4b12685b04e0">Re: those who cut or plan to cut their hair after the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Rache, do you have a picture of said hairstyle? I'd like to see the hairstyle that requires THAT much volume/hair. and yea, Locks for Love will take hair that is dyed--but not with henna, and no highlights/bleach.
    Posted by pooh8402[/QUOTE]

It's a half up half down style, with a big puff at the top for the tiara and veil I will be wearing. I can't use that much of my own hair at the top for the poof because I don't want my ears to show, so the hair pieces are necessary. And I'll also be sporting big curls so needed it to be long enough that I don't lose length when the curls are set... it'll be quite the 'do!
  • Options
    I have very long (approximately 7-8 inches below my bra line), very thick, wavy naturally light blonde hair.  I love my hair long.  It's been short, it's been medium length and it's been long.  It honestly looks best long.  I will not be cutting it :)
  • Options
    OMG! LOVE YOUR DRESS!!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dea630dea630 member
    First Comment
    I ussually go back and forth with my hair. I grow it really long, then chop it really short, then grow it again. I would have cut my hair off about 6 months ago, becuase it's been long for about 2 years now compared the the one year I ussually go. I kept it long for the wedding, I feel there are more options that way. Even if they need to cut it and then put it in an up do, that would be fine.  Most of my life I had long hair, so most people know me with long hair too.  And my fiancee likes it better long.
    I know a girl who always wore her hair in a pixie cut, and she kept it that way for her wedding becuase she wanted to look like herself.
    I am getting the wife chop.
  • Options
    I cycle too. I let it grow out and then get frustrated/annoyed with it and chop it. I have a style in mind that requires relatively long hair and so I've been growing it out... Right now I'm thinking I'll want it cut after the wedding because it's annoying me. But who knows! Maybe by the time the wedding rolls around I'll be happy with it!
  • Options

Y'all, I'm just scared to do anything!  My hair waxes and wanes like the phases of the moon.  Grow.  Chop.  Grow.  Chop.  I'm in a grow phase and I definately want it to be long for our wedding.  I'm going to wear it down in loose waves.  But, right now I'm getting the ol' itch again!  I don't know what I'm going to do!  I want to change it sooooo bad even though I know that I'll regret it!  It looks amazing right now, I'm just bored, which is ridiculus!  I just hope I can hold off!  Maybe I'll get a tat instead...JK, JK.  So, yep, I'll probably get the wife chop.  Although, by then I might be over it.  :)

• Options
    I'm not married yet, I have almost a year to go. But I plan on having short hair for my wedding. I'be pretty much always had pretty short hair. I just recently grew my hair out (because I missed braiding it), but after my first dance concert with it long, I chopped about 7 inches off. So, I'll just keep it short. I suppose if I want an up do, I'll just get some extensions! :)
  • Options
    I like my hair long, but I am growing it longer than normal for an updo, and it is getting really hot and uncomfortable.  I actually got 2 inches cut off the other day because it was driving me crazy (plus it needed it.. it was looking a little scraggly).  I do plan to cut it to about chin length once I'm married.  It'll feel so much better then.. I can't wait lol
  • Options
    I have short hair already.... tapered to the nape of my neck and textured at the top and front with kind of shaggy bangs is my preference, but for the wedding I let the top grow out a bit so I can pull the sides back and get some volume at the crown (kind of like the front-half of a 60's updo?). It looks awful right now - I feel like one of the Beatles and it's a pain to style!

I can't decide whether to cave and get my awesome short crop back after the honeymoon, or use this as a head start and grow it out into a bob to save money (the frequent trims and cuts to maintain short hair are so costly!!)
  • Options

My fiance has always liked short hair, in fact he requests every couple of weeks, that I cut it off!  But, I wanted to grow it out for the wedding.  We live in Georgia and want to get married in August or September when it's still around 80 - 100 degrees here, so I want to be able to have my hair up and out of the way so even if I get a little hot my hair will still be styled and pretty :)  However I made the promise that on our honeymoon I would get it all chopped off for him in whatever style he liked.  It will be long enough to donate at that point as well so it all works out!

• Options
    I'm going to cut mine after the wedding, but not too short, probably just to my shoulders.  I usually keep it long, but right now it's past the middle of my back and the wedding is still 9 months away.  I'm interested to see how long I can get it, but it does get in the way and make me crazy sometimes.  Also, I live in Phoenix and it is HOT in the summer with such long hair.  I have to keep it in a ponytail all the time, which I hate because I don't think it looks good on me.  I wish the really short haircuts looked better on me, because I'd chop it in a heartbeat if they did.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My hair is already really long and I'll be continuing to grow it out for my wedding. I will be wearing my hair mostly down and I want to have beautiful soft curls. I do love my long hair and my fiance does too. So I'm keeping it for him too until after the wedding. My long thick hair makes me look younger than I am and I think cutting some off will help me look more my age. It will also be easier to do if it is shorter and not so hot.
  • Options

Hi!

I am actually doing this :)  My fiance saw a picture of me with short hair (it had even grown out after 3 months it was that short!) and asked me if I would do it again.  He loves my hair down and requested that I wear it that way for the wedding, which I am and if he could see it short after the wedding.  I'd rather have long in the pictures as I have a round face, but off it comes after and before we head to St. Maarten for our honeymoon!  Hey I'm good with short hair with the heat that we're probably going to have there.  Who knows maybe he'll really like it ;P

Mrs. P2B

• Options
    I've been growing my hair out for a couple of years now. Then I got engaged and decided that I should probably keep it long till after the wedding. I get a trim every 2 months just to keep it looking nice but I do plan to cut it to my shoulders after the wedding.
    Future Angie Ayrton
  • Options
    My hair is layered to my ass. Love it long. Pain in the ass to take care of though. Sitting there with oils and scissors chopping every split end.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    prncszprncsz member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I'm getting mine cut shortly after we come back from our honeymoon. My hair is naturally thin and short hair looks great on me. I was trying to grow it out before we got engaged just to see how long I  could get it but now I'm getting tired of it. I have been tempted several times to get it cut but people keep telling me to wait until after we get married. Plus I don't know how I want my hair for the wedding so I'm keeping it for now oh but when we return from that honeymoon I'm back to my short cut!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
  • Options
    My hair has always been long because my mother prefers it that way and I haven't wanted to deal with her moaning if I ever cut it.  I've told FH that after the wedding, I'm going to let it grow a little longer than I normally can stand and then I'm going in for the chop and donating all of my hair to Locks of Love. :)
  • Options
    I was trying to grow my hair out but it got annoying and I cut it again. My hair is  just above my shoulders. I decided that if I really want longer hair for my wedding I'll get extensions, that way I dont have to go through the pain of longer hair (I have very thick hair that needs to be thined out reguarly as well as I straigten it).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards