Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

What are your cute personal vows?

We are writing our own vows and I would like to put a few cute personal promises in. Other than letting him sleep in on the weekends, I am drawing a complete blank! Im not asking you guys to write my vows for me, but thought if I heard what other people are promising it would help me get some ideas.

Re: What are your cute personal vows?

• Options
    I personally don't like those sort of "cute" vows. Do you really think that sleeping in on weekends is particularly important to your marriage? What about when you have infants waking both of you up? Does that mean you aren't upholding your vows.

We wrote our own vows but they came from the heart and were promises to be there for one another. We used the wedding ceremony planner book for examples and planning of the whole ceremony with our pastor.

Also just a tip, have your pastor or someone read the vows beforehand. Our pastor insisted on this to make sure they were somewhat consistent in formality and length. Ours were but we went to a wedding the following weekend were the bride's vows where serious, romantic and short, and the groom's were joke filled, included dating stories, and lasted about 5 mins. It was awkward.

• Options
    I don't like "cuteness" at weddings. I prefer "dignified" and "from the heart."

Too much cuteness and inside jokes in wedding vows leads me to believe that the couple aren't secure enough or mature enough to understand the commitment they are making to each other in public.  Also, your officiant may not allow it for the same reason.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    jlazgrl said:
    UGH... I dont even know why I post anything on here anymore. I didnt ask if you LIKED "cuteness". If you dont like it then why even respond on this topic? Just to belittle OUR decision on OUR ceremony? It doesnt mean we are insecure or immature. We are both just fun, goofy people, and for our ceremony to be anything other than that just wouldnt be us. And I refuse to be anyone but myself on one of the most important days of my life.
    Look, we aren't here to validate bad ideas.  If we don't agree with yours, we are going to say so.  "I didn't ask you if...." is not an appropriate way to respond to adults who don't agree with you-especially if you are seeking opinions in a public forum.

No one said you couldn't be "yourself."  We do ask that couples getting married think about what they're doing and recognize that sometimes being "cute" or "funny" just isn't appropriate, and a wedding ceremony is one of them.  If you're making a public vow in a ceremony that's changing your social status, that's not a good time to be "yourself," "cute," "clever," "funny," "original," or whatever.  You need to come off as an adult who understands the importance of getting married, because you're doing something societal in the presence of witnesses.

There's no reason that you can't incorporate "cuteness" or "humor" into your wedding reception-that's really the best time and place to be "yourself."   
  • Options

If you looked around before posting, you know people respond to the whole idea and not just one aspect thereof.  You also know that folks can be a bit blunt....I think it is partly a factor of seeing some things over and over (less so your specific post, but the feeling is pretty board-wide). 

If you want to add in cute lines, do so.  I do think it is worth considering the broader input given since it may be consistent with what some of your guests think.  However, if it upsets you (and I can see how some threads can feel that way, though this one feels pretty tame), then simply close the browsing window and move on. 

On the topic-- I've wondered about some of the "fun" vows I've seen (okay, I may be a Four Weddings addict).  I expect a LOT get broken...ex. the bride doesn't want to let the groom sleep in when they have an infant and it was her turn to handle overnight wakings...which bothers me a good bit since I think the vows should be very meaningful (I'm not religious, but the word "sacred" still comes to mind).  Therefore I'd choose these promises really carefully...and I don't have any ideas myself. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jlazgrl said:

UGH... I dont even know why I post anything on here anymore. I didnt ask if you LIKED "cuteness". If you dont like it then why even respond on this topic? Just to belittle OUR decision on OUR ceremony? It doesnt mean we are insecure or immature. We are both just fun, goofy people, and for our ceremony to be anything other than that just wouldnt be us. And I refuse to be anyone but myself on one of the most important days of my life.

Listen you need to calm down. You asked for opinions and I gave mine. I don't like "cute" vows because they don't seem genuine. Maybe yours would be, but since you are polling a bunch of strangers for vows, I'm going to venture that they wouldn't be genuine. How the f are we supposed to give you ideas when we don't know either of you, your location, your interests, etc?

If you would have read my whole post you would see that not only did I sat there is nothing wrong with writing your own vows (we did), I even have you a freaking book to go buy or check out to give you vow ideas....and I have you a tip. So thank you for going bat shit crazy on us for saying maybe saying your FI can sleep in on every Sat for the rest of your lives is not only unrealistic, but doesn't (in our opinions) belong in vows. Best of luck coming up with your "cute", original vows polling others to come up with them.

• Options
    lwoehlk said:
    Listen you need to calm down. You asked for opinions and I gave mine. I don't like "cute" vows because they don't seem genuine. Maybe yours would be, but since you are polling a bunch of strangers for vows, I'm going to venture that they wouldn't be genuine. How the f are we supposed to give you ideas when we don't know either of you, your location, your interests, etc? If you would have read my whole post you would see that not only did I sat there is nothing wrong with writing your own vows (we did), I even have you a freaking book to go buy or check out to give you vow ideas....and I have you a tip. So thank you for going bat shit crazy on us for saying maybe saying your FI can sleep in on every Sat for the rest of your lives is not only unrealistic, but doesn't (in our opinions) belong in vows. Best of luck coming up with your "cute", original vows polling others to come up with them.
    Actually I didnt ask for opinions on our vow idea. I asked what your vows were as an example. My response was mostly aimed at Jen (sorry, should have quoted) for implying that we are insecure, which isnt the case at all.
  • Options
    Sorry, @jlazgrl, I didn't mean to imply that you are insecure.  It's just that a wedding ceremony has a purpose other than being a showcase for the couple's egos, and too many cutesy lines and inside jokes in the ceremony suggest that the couple is not taking that purpose seriously or doesn't understand it.

And whether you asked for opinions or not, you're going to get them-even if they're not the ones you're looking for.    We aren't going to validate ideas that we don't approve of by telling posters how to do them.  We are going to say that we don't approve.  You don't have the right to tell us to withhold our opinions.
  • Options
    We already have the major points of our vows worked out. Meaning the serious parts - stand by your side, walk hand in hand though lifes journey, ect. - but those are expected so we wanted to add a little something extra. The "sleeping in on weekends" thing is actually not something I want to say. Rather a reference to how I am drawing a blank.
  • Options
    If you have the serious parts down pat, you're doing fine.  Depending on when your wedding is scheduled for, maybe the best thing to do would be to sleep on it, and then unexpectedly the perfect thing to say will come to mind.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    If you have the serious parts down pat, you're doing fine.  Depending on when your wedding is scheduled for, maybe the best thing to do would be to sleep on it, and then unexpectedly the perfect thing to say will come to mind.

For those of us who no longer believe in the vow fairy, you could ask your officiant for suggestions, especially if it's your pastor.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

For those of us who no longer believe in the vow fairy, you could ask your officiant for suggestions, especially if it's your pastor.
    We have 53 days to go and our officiant is the grooms mother.
  • Options

You should absolutely be yourself during your wedding ceremony and you should craft it in a way that best represents you and your couple style. If that means being cute, then be cute! Some people don't understand that a wedding is about the unique nature of the bride and groom and what best suits them and no one else. Vows aren't meant to be written so that everyone in the audience likes them. They're deeply personal and should be treated as such.

I'm including my vows below. As you can tell, I'm getting married on my birthday. I'm not sure if this will be helpful at all, but I thought I'd share since you're looking for ideas. Please don't tear it apart too much :).

When I first told people that I planned to have my wedding on my birthday, they couldn’t understand why I’d want to share the date, but to me, it just seemed so obvious. I couldn’t think of a more fitting date to celebrate our love and our future together than the day I was born, because, as hopelessly sappy as it sounds, the truth is,  I wasn’t really living until I met you.  And so I’m not only happy to, but honored to share my birthday with you and to share in everything else that our life together brings...save for your love of Ohio State. You are the most difficult man that I’ve ever met, but I love you unconditionally, and after all of the trials and tribulations we’ve conquered together, I am confident in saying that, just as it was love at first-cuddle, many years down the line, I’m positive that it will still be love at last-cuddle as well. You are my best friend, my soulmate, and my other half, and I make a solemn vow to you today to be as minimally crazy as possible so as to make this union last. I love you with every piece of my heart.

Summarize your vows for me. What do you promise him?  To not be crazy. Other than that, I see no promises or vows...which completely eliminates the whole point of vows.
  • Options
    mlg78 said:

You should absolutely be yourself during your wedding ceremony and you should craft it in a way that best represents you and your couple style. If that means being cute, then be cute! Some people don't understand that a wedding is about the unique nature of the bride and groom and what best suits them and no one else. Vows aren't meant to be written so that everyone in the audience likes them. They're deeply personal and should be treated as such.

I'm including my vows below. As you can tell, I'm getting married on my birthday. I'm not sure if this will be helpful at all, but I thought I'd share since you're looking for ideas. Please don't tear it apart too much :).

When I first told people that I planned to have my wedding on my birthday, they couldn’t understand why I’d want to share the date, but to me, it just seemed so obvious. I couldn’t think of a more fitting date to celebrate our love and our future together than the day I was born, because, as hopelessly sappy as it sounds, the truth is,  I wasn’t really living until I met you.  And so I’m not only happy to, but honored to share my birthday with you and to share in everything else that our life together brings...save for your love of Ohio State. You are the most difficult man that I’ve ever met, but I love you unconditionally, and after all of the trials and tribulations we’ve conquered together, I am confident in saying that, just as it was love at first-cuddle, many years down the line, I’m positive that it will still be love at last-cuddle as well. You are my best friend, my soulmate, and my other half, and I make a solemn vow to you today to be as minimally crazy as possible so as to make this union last. I love you with every piece of my heart.

Summarize your vows for me. What do you promise him?  To not be crazy. Other than that, I see no promises or vows...which completely eliminates the whole point of vows.

I wasn't going to say anything since I already got heated in this thread but I didn't think these really were much for vows either. What I took from it was you love him and It's my birthday!!! (Which seems I little AWish. I think you should look at the traditions vows, for better or for worse, sickness and in healthy, Til death do you part, and think about what they are saying. You are making commitments, vowing for the rest of your life, to be there for and love your spouse. There is nothing saying you can't do that with your own flare, but that should be the root of it.

• Options
    Thanks, but I think I'm good with what I've got.
  • Options
    mlg78 said:

I liked the vows, they were cute and unique. And it's easy to tell from them that this couple is goofy and fun-loving. They also express the love that she feels for her fiancé, and that she'll be with him forever. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with them...
  • Options
    Well put @laylasaurus. This was absolutely my point.

• Options
    Majelin86 said:
    mlg78 said:

I liked the vows, they were cute and unique. And it's easy to tell from them that this couple is goofy and fun-loving. They also express the love that she feels for her fiancé, and that she'll be with him forever. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with them...

...but the thing is, THESE AREN'T VOWS!!!  All she did was write about how much she cares about him and blah blah blah...she didn't make promises, vows, pledges, etc.  She hasn't "vowed" to do anything for him in this relationship other than to not be crazy...wtf?
  • Options
    mlg78 said:
    Majelin86 said:
    mlg78 said:

...but the thing is, THESE AREN'T VOWS!!!  All she did was write about how much she cares about him and blah blah blah...she didn't make promises, vows, pledges, etc.  She hasn't "vowed" to do anything for him in this relationship other than to not be crazy...wtf?
    Maybe vowing not to be crazy is the only thing she can promise? I mean, that's kind of pathetic, but if that's all she can promise, well....that's all she can promise.

I don't like "cutesy" or "funny" vows because I think it takes away from the solemnity of the occasion and also because I hate inside jokes. If you have inside jokes, great -- but either keep them inside or tell the rest of us what's so freaking funny.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options

mlg78 said:
    Majelin86 said:
    mlg78 said:

Maybe vowing not to be crazy is the only thing she can promise? I mean, that's kind of pathetic, but if that's all she can promise, well....that's all she can promise.

I don't like "cutesy" or "funny" vows because I think it takes away from the solemnity of the occasion and also because I hate inside jokes. If you have inside jokes, great -- but either keep them inside or tell the rest of us what's so freaking funny.
    The only sense I can make is if these aren't actually the "vows".  I've seen weddings where the couple each read something like this that they've written to eachother, but then also do traditional "do you promise, etc etc," " I do" vows.  I can see this being alright if that is their plan, but I agree with you, I wouldn't call it a vow.  I think I would probably also refrain from vowing to "not be crazy" in mine, but maybe that's just me.  
  • Options
    Another thing:  Some states and localities require a "declaration of intent" to make your wedding legally valid.

If you spend too much time being "cute" with each other in your vows that it doesn't contain what the government body in question considers a legally valid declaration of intent, then no matter how "cute" or "you" your statement is, your ceremony doesn't constitute a legal wedding.
  • Options
    To have at least 1 date. That would be cute.

• Options

I'm sitting here trying to write my ceremony, and I want to add some humor to the ceremony too.  I'm not sure how to do it.  I want to bring my personality to it, but so much of the ceremony is romantic, or religious or dignified.  How to bring some humor to the day so that it is no just another wedding with the same songs, the same readings, the same vows, the same wedding just insert a different bride and groom.

Can you vow to be patient with one another?  You can vow to be patient with him as he learns to do X he can vow to be patient with you as you learn to do Y.  That could be cute and goodness knows a good marriage requires to be patient.   Just a thought.

• Options

I'm sitting here trying to write my ceremony, and I want to add some humor to the ceremony too.  I'm not sure how to do it.  I want to bring my personality to it, but so much of the ceremony is romantic, or religious or dignified.  How to bring some humor to the day so that it is no just another wedding with the same songs, the same readings, the same vows, the same wedding just insert a different bride and groom.

Can you vow to be patient with one another?  You can vow to be patient with him as he learns to do X he can vow to be patient with you as you learn to do Y.  That could be cute and goodness knows a good marriage requires to be patient.   Just a thought.

Well, make sure the humor doesn't fall in the following categories:
    1) Sexual
    2) Scatalogical
    3) Racist/Sexist/Otherwise bigoted
    4) Inside
  • Options

This "reads" better and more appropriate as a toast rather than as vows.
  • Options

I went to a wedding where they did the traditional vows and they each got to add one extra on. The girl LOVES her dog. So his last promise was "to love Brody (the dog) too". He is a big WVU fan, so hers was "to accept Mountaineer football". I liked that they were mostly traditional with the small personal touch. There was a perfect little giggle as they said their extra vow.

Hope this helps!

• Options
    I haven't decided if we are going to write our own vows or not.  If we do, I was going to write why I fell in love with him.  My only problem is that I would probably cry while reading them so it might not go well!  LOL.  I love hearing his heart beat as I am laying on his chest, his kisses on my head while we are snuggling, how he protects and guides me through difficult times, supports me in my decisions, loves me unconditionally, how he says I love you or calls me his girl, etc..... 

You do what you and your DF feel is right.  This is your wedding.  If it means something special to you then go for it!  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards