Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

a Kick....?

This past July, my now fiance, myself and my sister and cousin, went away to the Mayan Riviera for a well-deserved vacation. Unbeknowst to me, my then-boyfriend had something special planned- and my sister and cousin knew about it (so did the rest of our families).

In spite of the fact that he had mentioned he had learned a whole lot about diamonds a few days before we departed for our trip, I was not convinced that he was planning to propose anytime soon. (He had kept saying 'maybe next year 2011') I honestly did not suspect a thing in the days leading up to this proposal. Everyone knew it was going to happen during this trip, except no one knew what day it would be. (I remember being totally convinced in the summer of 2009 that he was going to propose to me on our trip to Greece, but I came back quite bummed :( ).

The night before he proposed we had all gone out for dinner, it was a beautiful night. While we were eating I noticed that he looked like his mind was somewhere else and he was sweating quite a bit (we've been together over 8 yrs now, so we are familiar with each other's idiosyncracies), so I asked him if he was ok and if there was something on his mind. He snapped 'no I'm fine' and then gave my sis and cousin this look and mouthed 'what did you tell her?', I've never seen my sis and cousin scared before lol. I decided to ignore that even though that was a dead give away something was gonna happen lol.

The next day (Tues july 27) we all went on a full day excursion to a couple of diff places. We came back to the resort and planned to have dinner and stay out for the entertainment. While he and I were getting ready, I was a bit bummed since he and I didn't spend much time just us two-  so he said that after dinner and entertainment we'd go for a walk to the beach just us two. After watching the entertainment, my sis and cousin said they were tired and wanted to go back to their room and my then-bf said he'd go with them to use their washroom and that I should wait for him in the lobby  (...and there was a washroom in the lobby). I said no and that I'd go upstairs with him. So we were in the girls' hotel room and I could hear him opening their safe and my cousin (as a way to distract me) said to him 'don't play around with our safe, what if it gets locked'.

Off we went towards the beachfront. My fiance, who is a photographer, asked me to take some pics of him (it's 11pm, you can't see anything lol). I snapped a few shots, he was looking all serious... and then he goes I have a different pose..  he then drops to one knee, with a smile from ear to ear, pops out a red ring box, opens it up and says 'will you marry me?' (apparently he said more, but i was so shocked that I didn't hear it lol). I was speechless for a few seconds, he asked me are you gonna snap a photo and I did. Then he asked 'are you gonna say anything?'... So here's a moment I've been waiting for forever, and I asked him if he was joking. He said no and then... I kinda kicked him :$ (well it wasn't hard, more like a nudge I swear!!). The whole time I'm saying 'oh my God, oh my God' and he said so what's your answer and I said 'ok yes!!' (I still can't believe I reacted like that lol). I put out my hand and he put the oh so sparkly ring and I kept staring at it in disbelief- I was so happy yet so shocked, cuz he had me going on this happening next yr.

We went to the lobby for some drinks to celebrate and I asked him who he had told about his proposal. (We had gone camping the wkend before the trip to Mexico and he had told everyone there he was proposing to me and I had no clue whatsoever!!) We went up to my sis and cousin's room to let them know of the great news. The next morning when we woke up, he said to me 'I can't believe we are engaged!!'. I told him neither could I and that every trip we go on, he should propose lol.

So now to the present day, we are in the midst of planning an engagement party for next summer for our family and close friends.

One of the first few things I said to him after his proposal (and when the shock subsided) was that this was going to be a long engagement since I'm still in graduate school and would need to wait a bit until I graduate (2011) and I got a job (wedding's aren't cheap these days). We are keeping our fingers crossed that we can have our wedding on July 6 2013, which would be on our 11th anniversary together.

Needless to say, I'm one very happy girl and my fiance is one very happy guy :D

Re: a Kick....?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards