Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Could an Obama attempt happen?

2»

Re: Could an Obama attempt happen?

• Options
    This always annoys me. If his Dad is black and his mom is white, why is he black? Does he look white to you?  There you go.You want to get technical, bi-racial.  There.  But to those folks, he's just as black as if his dad had been Al Sharpton and his momma had been Oprah.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    So, if another black person becomes President and BOTH his/her parents are black, are they the 2nd black President in the US?He's just as much white as he is black, so I just don't get what the big deal is that we have a "black president."
  • Options
    He's just as much white as he is black, so I just don't get what the big deal is that we have a "black president."If someone came up to you and said "Obama is such a great white president", what would you say?People go with the most obvious.  They need to catagorize.  Its in our nature.  I'm black, but I'm also French and native american.  However, I'm most obviously black.  It's easier to say I'm black, than put "French-Native-American-African-American." 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    If someone came up to you and said "Obama is such a great white president", what would you say?I'd be so busy laughing about the "great" part, I'd probably overlook the skin color. ;) No, but i'd correct them to "biracial,' just as I do now.
  • Options
     but i'd correct them to "biracial,' just as I do now. It's always easier for people to deal with catagorized stuff.  Like I said, it doesn't always make sense, but there you go.  Like how biracial folks used to pass for white - they couldn't have done it if they didn't look more white than black.  They identified themselves as white, and society accepted it because they looked white.  But if Obama tried to pass as white, people would be all "...WTF?  Really?"

• Options
    If someone came up to you and said "Obama is such a great white president", what would you say?I'd strongly disagree with that statement because I'd rather have Ronald McDonald in office and it has nothing to do with Obama's race.I just get annoyed when race is the issue.  I don't like him and I don't care if he is half white or half black or all white or all black.Race: Black or White or Asian (Hispanic is HIGHLY debatable)Nationality: French, Cuban, Spanish, Mexican, etc.
  • Options
    I'd be so busy laughing about the "great" part, I'd probably overlook the skin color. ;) No, but i'd correct them to "biracial,' just as I do now. Bwahahaha ditto this. Also, my niece is biracial and we are teaching her that she is in fact biracial. We don't want her to have a negative view of either race.
  • Options
    I don't think you have to have a negative view of a race to identify more with one.  If you're more obviously black, it's going to affect how you are treated in life, which shapes the person you become.  Like for me, I'm black but people assume I'm bi-racial, and that's changed the way they've reacted to me.  I've had some people not want to have much to do with me when they thought I was mixed, and be all about hanging out when they found out I was "really" black (bear in mind, this was in middle and high school).  I've had people do the opposite too.  I've had people even in passing, like at bars or on busses or airplanes, be more comfortable talking to me, and when it comes out in conversation that I'm not Puerto Rican/Hispanic/Mixed, they suddenly get all wierd and kind of wander off, or the conversation dies.  For some reason, it changes the way they look at me.  When you're raised dealing with that your whole life, it changes the way you look at yourself.  You begin to identify more with the race people identify you with, if that makes any sense.Halle Berry is mixed too, but you never hear anybody referring to her as anything other than "black" because that's how everybody sees her.

• Options
    too...many...republicans...
  • Options
    too...many...republicans... yes. it's bad for there to be different opinions in this country.
  • Options
    Yes, LaLa we are multiplying. Actually, I used to be a moderate until this election.
  • Options
    I agree that society referring to him as simply "black" annoys me to no end.  I am biracial (mom's white, dad's black) and it's frustrating when people try to tell me that I am a "black" or "white" woman, only.  No.However, isn't his father African?  Do Africans typically refer to themselves as "black"?  Maybe that's a dumb question to ask..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    lalady- hahaha! Seriously thanks. :)
  • Options
    Yes, LaLa we are multiplying. Actually, I used to be a moderate until this election.Dare I say, we are multiplying like rabbits ;)
  • Options
    ::backs out of thread before republicans take my soul::
  • Options
    I like when we multiply... It brings a little diversity.
  • Options
    However, isn't his father African? Do Africans typically refer to themselves as "black"? Maybe that's a dumb question to ask..No, that's a good question actually.  The ones I know have, but I don't know if that's because they're pretty Americanized or what.I do know they're more likely to say where they're from, like "I'm Somalian" or "I'm Liberian" over "I'm black", but in conversation they'll sometimes refer to themselves as black.

• Options
    What you say Nugget scares me. I worry about my niece being picked on (even out right harassed) due to her race. We just don't want her growing up thinking one race is better than the other, but I see what you are saying. But, maybe if we all started saying the president was biracial this attitude would change about biracial people. I don't know.
  • Options
    I like when we multiply... It brings a little diversity.Pfft.  Diversity is for hippies and pinko Commies.

• Options
    Dare I say, we are multiplying like rabbits ;)Well, maybe not my rabbit. He lost his ballz a long time ago.
  • Options
    I'm surprised it has happened already.
    No amount of education could convince Betty to be nice to possums
  • Options
    nugget, thanks for your feedback on this thread. i know i disagreed with you the entire time, but i was also appreciating your point of view.  and i do recognize it's easier to stick somebody in a "black" or "white" category based on their visible appearance. it just annoys me when the media goes on and on about how we have our first black president when he is actually biracial. i have heard a few biracial colleagues mention that they would feel honored to hear obama referenced as biracial and they feel a bit cheated that he isn't.
  • Options
    I also am surprised there hasn't been an actual attempt caught on tape somewhere yet.  There are too many people whose thinking still resides in the 1800s when it comes to race that I would have thought the likelihood would have been much higher.  Like had been said earlier, just being President gives you a fair share of crazies.I personally don't care for some of President Obama's political views... such as federalized health care (because our government gets oh so much right without having to plow through a mountain of red tape), but that hardly makes me want to take a life for it, or want to see anyone else do it.
  • Options
    We had a crazy arrested in a couple towns over a few weeks ago who had an Obama assassination attempt planned. He was real smart about it, posted it on FB and told a few people his plans.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    At this point I would think an attempt would be politically motivated and not racially motivated. Quite honestly I am an independent and his frivolous spending and political views (especially on health care) are terrifying to me. I wish that politicians cared what people thought, but it seems that everyone has an agenda. As a Massachusetts resident I can tell you that the health care plan would be a great way to put the country into further debt. I think people are scared of his plans and it could get him into trouble.
  • Options
    That conversation spouted from talking about "where were you" when: - Sept. 11 happened - Princess Di died - when you found out MJ died - JFK I may never be the same after this statement.
  • Options
    I am sure no one is still reading this but it was actually "white" America who defined what "black" is.  I believe the saying was "one drop of 'black' blood" made you black.  Is Obama biracial?  yes. But that is not how people see him (like Nugget said).When a biracial man is arrested for carjacking no one complains when the press calls him "black."  The only time I ever hear the argument about, wait, he's/she's half white is they have done something.  When Halle Berry won her Oscar, white folks all over were all, but she's half white!  You didn't hear that outcry before she won her award.Just sayin'.....
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    When a biracial man is arrested for carjacking no one complains when the press calls him "black." Seriously? You seriously think that we wouldn't consider a biracial carjacker to be biracial if we knew his background? You think we would knowingly call him black, despite knowing his actual race?And the reason there was an outcry about Halle Berry is because, like Obama, the race was used to gain publicity. You have to see the difference between someone calling themselves black or white in daily life vs. claiming to be black or white to gain additional publicity for an accomplishment. It's almost as if they are ashamed to claim that they are mixed. 
  • Options
    Sarah...I have never ever heard of a criminal being referred to as biracial in a news story. I absolutely believe that knowing a criminal was biracial would not stop the media from calling the person black. Not saying it is right, but it is what happens.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sascha-that's exactly my point.  They don't say, we are looking for a half black/half white man.  They say, we are looking for a black man.It isn't until someone wants to throw down a claim because of success do we ever hear the "but she/he is half white!"  Until then she is just another black actress. 
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards