Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Worst childhood meal?

Indulge me, I'm feeling like a super foodie today. What is the worst childhood meal you remember eating? Something that was made on a semi regular basis. My mom made this horrendous casserole that consisted of ground beef, baked beans, brown sugar, American chhese slices and a layer of biscuits. Now you see why I went to culinary school! Please share? I'm lonely. FIs been in Florida since May 24th, and I still have 9 days to go.

Re: Worst childhood meal?

• Options
    The only thing that sticks out is when my dad would force me to eat brussel sprouts. I like them now that I'm older.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Fish sticks. Not necessarily my mom's fault because she just took them out of the box to heat them up, but they were gross. We had them a lot since we didn't have elaborate, sit-down family dinners growing up. Yay fish sticks...
  • Options
    Chicken a la king!  Ugh, I hate the smell of mushrooms.  Thankfully my mother stopped making it after she saw how much I truly despised it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That sounds awful... baked beans, brown sugar and cheese? Ack.My grandmothers dry "meatloaf" with giant chunks of onions. I think that meal was why, to this day, I hate onions.
  • Options
    Cabbage cacciatore.  Ew.  It smelled like a dead animal when she cooked it.  I refused to eat it.Oh, and stuffed peppers.  Gross.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    i had a babysitter who LOVED grilled cheese..... and she would make it with any cheese she had on hand. one time she made it with pepper jack. you know what kind of damage that does to a 5 year old??? i still cant look at a grilled cheese without thinking of her....
  • Options
    gg - I loved the fish sticks out of the box!

• Options
    steak umms.
  • Options
    My step dad used to make sauce piquant often. It had alligator meat, shrimp, chicken, black olives, lemons made in a roux served over rice. As a kid, I hated it but they forced me to eat it. I'd love some now though.
  • Options
    Aw man, daff, I used to love steakums, too!

• Options
    (too as in addition to my love of fish sticks)

• Options
    I was spoiled and if I didn't like what we were having I'd get cereal and occasionaly grilled cheese, eggs, or french toast. I do remember my dad making me eat mal o meal though. Gross.
  • Options
    We didn't have a lot of money growing up, so my mom would try to be somewhat inventive as well as economical. I mentioned this casserole to her on the phone, and apparently she called it "hungry man casserole" which was ironic since no one wanted to eat it.
  • Options
    Sucrets - Yuck! I remember biting into one about 15 years ago and seeing a really really dark spot. Last time I ever ate one!
  • Options
    Liver and onions. It was the worst day at my house whenever this was served.  Lots of yelling and crying.  I would never do that to my son.I think I was scarred for life.
  • Options
    Linz e - that sounds absolutely awful! I think I had a pretty traumatic food upbringing. My parents were divorced, but both of them were sort of granola. My mom made barley stew (bleh!) There are really too many to remember. My dad made me tofu eggs and burgers, alpha alpha sprout sandwiches. There's nothing wrong with these foods, but i was 8! I wanted white bread, PB&J and fruit roll-ups, none of which i was allowed! And a 'snack' was carrots, not peeled, put in my sandwich bag as a chip substitute.
  • Options
    Nda - Me too! On occasion my mom would make something and leave it on the counter for us to eat. If I didn't like it, I'd just grab some cereal or make some waffles.
  • Options
    My step dad found the cap of a ball point pen in a fish stick once... I like them though.
  • Options
    Ok, that is kinda gross.  But fish sticks were better than some of the other fish my parents tried to get me to eat.  Oh, and random fish memory...she would buy frozen salmon and defrost it in the dishwasher.  Not by turning it on, lol, but I guess so that if it dripped it wouldn't be gross. 

• Options
    Cabbage cacciatore. How is this prepared???  It sounds horrid.
  • Options
    ca - I don't even know.  Some sort of boiled cabbage disgustingness.  Ew.

• Options
    My stepdad made me eat mac and cheese with the power cheese... but not adding milk. Just noodles with dried cheese powder on top, because thats how his kids liked it. Ick.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Aw man, daff, I used to love steakums, too!after a bite, i refused to eat it.  gag.  but i wasn't allowed to leave the table until i finished my dinner.  somehow i managed to get it into some plastic wrap and hid it on my person, and claimed i ate it.  went to my room and hid it in my jewelry box.  i figured mom would find it in the garbage.  she found it about 3 months later. good times.
  • Options
    Caco, my mom did liver and onions too. I always got grounded because I refuse to eat it. Eating was a big deal in my house.
  • Options
    my family rarely made bad food, but there was this one tomato soup wannabe thing they would make and they'd top it off with stale slices of bread. i think it was something our grandparents made when cash was tight, but it stuck around for some reason.i also remember hating being served squash. i like some, like spaghetti squash, but they'd boil yellow squash and try to serve it on the side of meals, and it would be really mushy and gross. bleh.
  • Options
    The cap to a ball point pen? Weird! Guess it could have been worse, but it's a wonder that got in there.
  • Options
    Yes I pretty much lived off of cereal (still do) because my dad was often on atkins or the zone and I didn't want to eat his diet food. My mom really is an awesome cook though
  • Options
    Lasagna. I have no idea how Mom managed to turn ricotta cheese gritty...I learned to appreciate this and a lot of other foods so much more after leaving home.
  • Options
    Jill, are you talking to yourself or is that an AE fail?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I should add that I grew up on powdered skim milk.  Why on earth my mom thought this was acceptable was beyond me.  If you haven't had it, DON'T.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards