New Jersey
Options

Wedding/Bridesmaid dresses

Ok so I ordered my dress about a month ago (sorry no pics yet ) for my wedding next July. They said the dress would not come in until May and I would have my first fitting then. I was just wondering if that is cutting it too close. How long did it take your dresses to come in and how far before your wedding day. I do not think I will need major alterations because I fit in the sample perfectly. Just wanted some opinions. Also, when should I start looking and ordering bridesmaid dresses? Checklist I believe states 6 months before. I guess I am just curious since my dress is taking a while to come in. Thanks for the help girls! Have a great weekend!

Re: Wedding/Bridesmaid dresses

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding dress took unusually long to come in, so I won't get into that, if your place said May you should be fine. Most dress fittings are done 6 weeks out, some places are less. My girls ordered their dresses in first week of May, they came in in August, more than enough time as they only need about 3 weeks of alterations (that is from the place we ordered plus other seamstresses).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That’s what I thought but every time I tell someone it is not coming in until May they look at me like I’m crazy. I just wanted to make sure this was normal. As for the girls dresses I was going to start looking after the new year. Thanks for your help Cheryl !
  • Options
    real dealreal deal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even if the dress came sooner, they don't want to do alterations until much closer to the wedding date so you should be fine. It will almost always come much earlier anyway. Congratulations.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks real deal.. I figured the closer to the wedding the better. I will probably call them in the spring to see if it came in anyways. Thanks again girls !
  • Options
    MelissaSusMelissaSus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ordered my BM dresses in May and they came in yesterday. My wedding isnt till March. I ordered my dress in april and she said i shouldnt expect it till december and I too fit the sample size perfectly so i guess BM dresses take less time to come in. I would def. go shopping around in the next few months though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess so too. I guess it was the initial shock of finally purchasing the dress and hearing it won't come in until May.. Got nervous at first ! Thanks for sharing !
  • Options
    dianenjnjdianenjnj member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i really think this is all about getting the deposit...i bet the salon doesn't even order the dress until a few months before the wedding...meanwhile they have use of your money for almost a year!this is not only your salon...i think it's just the way the business works.  they don't want a bunch of "sold" dresses taking up room in their shops....but they still give a bull line of having to order soooo far in advance to "be sure you'll get it in time."  it boils down to brides are really between a rock and a hard place...who really wants to take the chance?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ordered my dresses in July and they said it would not come in until April (getting married in May) I guess this is normal but I was shocked at first too!! I just started looking for BM dresses they said they usually take about 4 months to come in!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not getting married for a long time, but I love looking around and getting ideas and information. I was also told at several stores to be ready to order 3-4 months before my date. They said I was way to early now. Good Luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards