Gay Weddings
Options

Welcome to the Gay Wedding board!

alisonzalisonz member
First Comment
edited June 2013 in Gay Weddings
Hello and Welcome to the Gay Wedding message board! I am your moderator, alisonz!

A little bit about me... I'm 32 years old and living in New York City. I'm marrying my partner of almost 7 years on October 10, 2010 (10-10-10!) Because Gay Marriage isn't legal in NY, the ceremony will be in CT and the reception will be in NY.

Please introduce yourselves, and tell us when you're getting married, what your role is in the wedding and other details you want to share. Everyone on the board is very welcoming and helpful, so don't be afraid to ask questions (even embarrassing ones.)

If you're like me and totally confused by all the abbreviations and acronyms you've been seeing, check out this list of definitions: http://www.theknot.com/co_profileview.htm?profilename=BoardLingo. Although I think we need to add a couple for this board...

SSM - same-sex marriage
GW - gay wedding
GM - gay marriage
ME - marriage equality

If you have any questions, just type my username (alisonz) into the title of the post. These are not private, so don't say anything you wouldn't want the world to know!

Welcome to the Knot, I can't wait to get to know you!

cheers,
alisonz

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos

Re: Welcome to the Gay Wedding board!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello.  My partner and I of 10 years are also planning to tie the knot on 10-10-10.  We're searching for a beautiful venue for our ceremony and reception in Fort Worth, Texas.  Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Funny- my partner and I of 12 years are getting married 10-9-10 Here in Iowa where its legal! very excited.  Having trouble with outfits-  though-  how about you guys?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My partner and I got our "paper marriage" done in CT for health insurance - we're celebrating our for-real wedding (with all the bells and whistles) in Rochester, NY on 10-10-10!

Can we get a 'gay knot' badge?
  • Options
    mikengregmikengreg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello my boyfriend and I are planning a commitment ceremony 15 of Oct 2011 in Atlanta Ga.  Its not legal, but we are doing our domestic partnership agreement as our binding contract and everything we do, we put our names together.    

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello, my partner and I have planned our wedding July 17, 2010 in DC.  I never knew how much work it really takes to do all of the little details. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey everyone...My girl and I are getting married in CA on 10-23-10. We're having a large ceremony and reception outdoors on a farm. We are pretty excited and are finding most things falling into place so far, but we are a bit stressed about what to wear. We're not really a butch-femme kind of couple, but when it comes to wedding attire, we seem to be taking on roles--I'm down with a dress, but not so for my wife-to-be. We've been looking for a pantsuit for her that isn't too boxy and masculine, but we're striking out so far. Has anyone one else found something tha might work?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

my partner  and are both disabled and   live in florida (ANTI GAY STATE)  and we are unable to go to a another state  just yet
     but we are have a pegan commitment ceremony here then  if she finishes collage we are going to get  married  legaly should we still make a wedding website for the commitment ceremony?

• Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    linseyandaurealia2011, you can certainly have a wedding website if you want.  Some people on this board are having legal wedding ceremonies, while others are having commitment ceremonies in states that don't recognize same-sex marriage.  People who are doing either are welcome here.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am partnered with a wonderful man, and we have discussed marriage, and now one of my closest friends just announced his engagement to his beloved...and I'm to be the Best Man!  I would like to be a part of these chats so I can help my buddy with his wedding, and get some ideas for what I hope will be mine...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, I have to admit I feel a little awkward being here, not only as a gay man, but just a man in general, as there aren't too many guys who tend to be on these sites.  I am hoping this will be a great time, nevertheless, and I get some great ideas and insight...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Me and my boyfriend are having a commitment cermony on July 24,2010. I have taken on the role of planning the cermony. Right down to what we will wear for the cermony. We are planing on making it offcial but we have to go to another state ohio does not have same sex marriage here. I have found this board to be very helpful.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi everyone! 

My girlfriend and I are getting  married on November 6th, 2010, which is coming up shockingly quickly.  We're actually doing the legal part in Massachusetts sometime a few weeks beforehand, and then having our church ceremony and reception in Minnesota.  We also live in New Jersey, so to throw in an extra step of complication we'll do a "reaffirmation of a civil union" here. 
    TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My partner and I of 4 years are getting married on 10/10/10 in Kentucky, We want to be married legally but we are waiting for our state and nation to catch up. We are are planning an afternoon brunch for 80 of our friends.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try an internet seach for Bridal Suit.  I am not sure what size range you are looking for but we found one through Fashion Bug size 12 and up.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    G'morning....

We're from NYC, a non legal state but getting married in CT because it is legal in that state. Even though it's a destination wedding Stamford, CT where we will wed is only about 45 minutes away. We decided to make it a weekend wedding (Fri-Sun) with the ceremony taking place the Saturday. So far the planning has been going well, even though there was a HUGE bump in the road at first. You see our original date was 10-10-10 and although we were looking at venues since Sept. 09 we could never find anything that was within our budget here in NYC. As soon as we thought out of the box so to speak, by looking at another state, sure enough we found the perfect venue for our $. Sooo, our new date is 5-14-11.

Any other CT couples here? if so, where are you having your ceremonies & receptions?
  • Options
    alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also in NY and getting married in CT!

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • Options
    younansyounans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Me and my partner got marred when calf. Legalized it for the short time but none of are family and friend could be there because we didn’t know we were going to get marred. We were there for are friends and were going to make a app. But there was only one left for that day right after are friends so we did it. So we are have a ceremony and reception on June 12 2010 in Sacramento ca. we have been together for 4 years.

• Options
    edited December 2011

My boyfriend and I both live together in New York City and got engaged last November. We plan on getting married in Connecticut on August 21, 2010. Since I’m from Connecticut and he’s from Massachusetts we decided to get married in Connecticut because Gay Marriage still isn’t legal here in New York. A party is going to be held in the city for our friends who can’t make it to the ceremony at the bed and breakfast in Connecticut.  

• Options
    edited December 2011

Hello all,

I am writing as a vendor, but I just wanted to say that Vermont is a wonderful place for a gay wedding.  Same-sex marriage is legal here and everyone that I have met in the wedding community is very excited about welcoming same sex couples to hold their events in our beautiful state!

Champlain Orchards is not your traditional wedding venue, but rather a working farm and orchard that offers local food, amazing views and a low-key atmosphere.  Check out our website for more information: http://

www.vermontorchardwedding.com

Looking forward to hearing about all the amazing weddings!

Claire
    Champlain Orchards Events
    champlainorchardsevents@gmail.com

• Options
    edited December 2011
    damond01 ::: We are faced with the same issue, so as New Yorkers we have moved our wedding to Conneticut. By the way, we have come across a same-sex friendly photographer who is giving a discount for same sex couples as a stand on inequality of marriage rights. Let me know if you want the info. He's based in NYC but will come out to CT.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello everyone! My partner and I have been together for 5 years. We are planning our wedding in CT (we are lucky enough to live in a state where GM is legal). Thru our planning process we have found many people who are very supportive of same-sex marriages. We are having our ceremony and reception at a Unitarian Universalist Church. Being raised Catholic, I had always envisioned having my wedding in a church, and it's very exciting to be able to have found a place that is open and accepting of all people. Our date is 8/21/10, also! Here's to smooth wedding planning!
  • Options
    carrolsoncarrolson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Alison! I saw your highlight in the knot magazine, very cool. So, my partner Jarrod and I are interested in a destination wedding at St. John in the Virgin Islands. Its been my dream to have our wedding here ever since I stepped foot on Cinnamon Bay Beach. Any advice on planning?
  • Options
    steve223steve223 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello from Mancheter (The First one in England !!!) me and my partner of 12 years are thinking about  getting hitched in FLL and wanted soem thoughts ideas where to start etc, as we have no idea whats good whats not out there ( most is good I think) but looking for soem pointers from anyone ...thnaks Steve Manchester UK
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    H ey!!
    My partner and I live in Brooklyn, Ny and since Marriage for us is not legal here (absurd!)  we are going to have our "ceremony" and reception for about 120 people in NY because that is where we live and both grew up and it is important to us.  And then the day after our wedding, we are going to go to an Inn in VT and elope.  We wanted to be able to be married legally but also enjoy being with all of our friends and family in NY.  We are trying to make it as special as we can, despite our disappointment that we can't actually get married in NY.We are also having some issues trying to figure out where my very small framed fiancé is going to get her suit.. but we have some time to figure it out, our date is 4/15/10... tax day!!
  • Options
    charmgirl5charmgirl5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! Me and my fiance live in VA and have decided to get married legally in DC.  We would like to have our ceremony in VA after we are officially married but find it very confusing on how to just get married with the justice of the peace in D.C.  Any help there?  We have been together for three years and have been planning on having a child together but would really like to be legally married to do so!
  • Options
    TovahrendlichTovahrendlich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi All, can someone tell me how to add friends on my profile...thx.

8/20/2010 is our big day Smile

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My partner and I plan of getting married on 10/15/2011. I see a lot of people are getting married in October. Ours was originally going to be on December 15th (our anniversary), but I really wanted a fall wedding and we both love Halloween so October was the perfect month for us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hi! my partner and i decided to have a ceremony in honor of our 20th anniversary..we are in Sacramento CA and although its not legal its something I have wanted for 20 years......im still looking for something unique and fun to do as wedding vows/ceremony...any thoughts ?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are from Ohio, and we live in California now.  We are getting married in MA so it will be legal.  Plus, we get to have a wedding and honeymoon in one.  Later we will have a reception with our families in Ohio and then one in California.

My partner has also been having a hard time deciding what to wear.  She doesn't subscribe to the butch/femme dynamic, and she's fairly traditional.  Traditionally, brides wear gowns, but she wouldn't feel comfortable in a gown.  After much struggle, she has decided on a white suit with some satin details and perhaps a fabulous fancy top underneath.  Now we just need to find it.  It became such a big deal that I started a blog and a Facebook page about it.
    http://lesbianweddingoutfit.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance Cindy and I are getting married on 8/16/10 in DC.  Then we are traveling to Rehoboth Beach, DE for our honeymoon.  We are going to get married on our 1 yr anniversary.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards