Favors
Options

Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?

So my father is from Cuba and wanted to do cigars as the favor. How would you feel about getting a cigar as a favor? Should we do something else too?

Re: Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cigas-as-favor-should-we-have-something-else-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:236df252-adb6-494d-ab3a-c28c275c1d21Post:33fd25be-59a3-42cf-97e0-210ad7dbfb13">Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my father is from Cuba and wanted to do cigars as the favor. How would you feel about getting a cigar as a favor? Should we do something else too?
    Posted by rgomez27941[/QUOTE]

<div>Cigars are great and it is something from your culture which is a nice touch. Since not everyone enjoys cigars, another favor option would be a good idea. Candy bars are a hit at the moment. If you are in need of inspiration ideas for candy bars, I found a great website that provides inspiration images and where to purchase the products to create that dream image. Check it out and good luck to you!</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://poppyandpaige.com/products/inspirations" rel="nofollow">http://poppyandpaige.com/products/inspirations</a> </div>
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    As a non-smoking woman, I wouldn't know what to do with a cigar.

It might be nice to have a cigar area after dinner, but I don't think it's an appropriate favor.  You can't go wrong with edible - how about chocolate cigars?  And do the cigars represent you, too?  Because it's your wedding, not your father's.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cigas-as-favor-should-we-have-something-else-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:236df252-adb6-494d-ab3a-c28c275c1d21Post:13c5eadf-9caa-4a09-b1de-f06a58b70c1f">Re: Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>As a non-smoking woman, I wouldn't know what to do with a cigar.</strong> It might be nice to have a cigar area after dinner, but I don't think it's an appropriate favor.  You can't go wrong with edible - how about chocolate cigars?  And do the cigars represent you, too?  Because it's your wedding, not your father's.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

OP - I'm going to try to be as delicate as possible with this.  Most women don't smoke cigars and thanks to a certain paramour of a former president, cigar + woman = something that I wouldn't want guests to be thinking about at your wedding reception.  If you are going to do this, I would come up with a favor that is unmistakably for the ladies to go with the one for the men.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cigas-as-favor-should-we-have-something-else-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:236df252-adb6-494d-ab3a-c28c275c1d21Post:13c5eadf-9caa-4a09-b1de-f06a58b70c1f">Re: Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As a non-smoking woman, I wouldn't know what to do with a cigar. It might be nice to have a cigar area after dinner, but I don't think it's an appropriate favor.  You can't go wrong with edible - how about chocolate cigars?  And do the cigars represent you, too?  Because it's your wedding, not your father's.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]<div>
    Agree with this.  It is nice to add cigars to the wedding but not as the favors.  Most women and a decent number of men won't touch them.  Have an area where people can smoke them but no one will have to smell them.  Please don't make them the favor.</div><div>
    </div><div>In all honesty, I'd think it was pretty thoughtless to give me a cigar as a favor.  What would I do with that?</div>
  • Options
    egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    We went to a wedding a couple weeks ago where they had a cigar "bar" and it was a huge hit with the men.  The reception was outside though, so I think that helps.  

I see nothing wrong with giving the men a cigar as a favor.  I think the favor should represent the couple and I don't know anyone who walks into a wedding wondering what the favor is, most people are eliminating them as it's difficult to get something that a crowd would want.  I would give the women something else though.
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. Again, since my father, myself and his entire family is Cuban I think everyone will really love the cigars. They're also really cute, just wanted to see what noncigar people would think. I guess it's the same thing when people give bubbles, what the heck am I supposse to do with bubbles? Maybe we will do some candy bars too. Thanks.
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    GoodLuckBear, you made me laugh!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cigas-as-favor-should-we-have-something-else-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:236df252-adb6-494d-ab3a-c28c275c1d21Post:64d17eb1-faea-4444-99bb-e547c51ae36a">Re: Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?</a>:
    [QUOTE]GoodLuckBear, you made me laugh!
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

I immediately imagined a response to a woman asking "What am I supposed to do with this?"  OP might be too young to remember what I'm talking about but there are some things from the Congressional record that I won't repeat and pretty much anything from the Clinton Impeachment covers it.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    janegoodey - apparently you missed the pesky little part of the terms of service where vendors arent allowed to advertise on the boards.  How can you trust a vendor who can't follow rules?  All of your posts advertise the website in your post.

reported.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cigas-as-favor-should-we-have-something-else-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:236df252-adb6-494d-ab3a-c28c275c1d21Post:b3551f18-0981-4776-80f2-94b6ecc9f0b3">Re: Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your thoughts. Again, since my father, myself and his entire family is Cuban I think everyone will really love the cigars. They're also really cute, just wanted to see what noncigar people would think. <strong>I guess it's the same thing when people give bubbles, what the heck am I supposse to do with bubbles?</strong> Maybe we will do some candy bars too. Thanks.
    Posted by rgomez27941[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I always wonder exactly the same thing!!

</div>
  • Options

I personally do not smoke, but my Bubbs does.  So he would enjoy it and thus I would also.   That being said I think that it's a great idea and esp nice that it's representative of your culture.  Have you considered having a cigar roller there to handroll them on site?  That way you don't get stuck with a bunch of leftovers? 

FWIW....favors are not required but are a nice touch.  To me...this is an even nicer touch since it's something close to your family. And you mentioned that many people in your family would enjoy it also. I say GO FOR IT! It's unique....unlike a candy bar.

• Options
    I would have a cigar bar area for those who enjoy it, but not as the favor.  But you know your guests better than anybody here.
  • Options
    I saw a "cigar rolling station" as wedding entertainment in a wedding magazine.  It was pretty cool - you could watch a professional cigar roller make a cigar in front of you.  That way if you weren't a smoker you could at least get to observe something unique.  This in addition to a cigar bar would be fun for a lot of the guests.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    I wouldn't like this as a favor. Most of the women I know wouldn't smoke a cigar.  I've heard of cigar stations....could you have that instead? 
  • Options
    I don't smoke cigars but I think its a great idea. It represents you and your family. Go for it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards