Oregon
Options

Wedding chapel in Portland

Hello... I need to find a nice chapel/church/somewhere to hold my wedding ceremony that isn't too much $$$. I initially didn't want to go with a church just because I wanted something more outdoorsy, something with a lot of greenery & views.

But my wedding is in April, and this being Oregon, I think an outdoor wedding is out of the question. I would love something that's a little different than your typical church or chapel. Maybe something with a lot of windows so you could get that lush Northwest greenery vibe :)

Thing is, I haven't the slightest idea where to begin... Anyone know of any places like this? I would prefer on the East side of Portland. Thanks!!

Re: Wedding chapel in Portland

• Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your budget and how many people do you need to be able to fit?  That will help us with suggestions.

Not on the east side, but the World Forestry Center by the zoo sounds like exactly what you're looking for, if it fits in your budget.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second the suggestion for the World Forestry Center. I'm getting married there in September 2012, and since I'm also concerned about rain, I'm having the ceremony inside Miller Hall. It's tucked into the trees behind the museum and feels very green.  Typically the cocktail hour is out on the patio, so you can still have the outdoorsy feel if weather permits.

There are a number of ways you can set up a ceremony in the hall, but we're having ours in the center of the room to bring focus to the beautiful stone floors and the wooden-arched ceiling.  Amber, the coordinator there, is great and really tries to help you in any way she can.

Check it out if you are interested:  http://worldforestry.org/index.php/miller-hall

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're hoping to keep the ceremony location right around $500 or so, since we already have the reception place booked. Needs to fit about 150 people :)

Thanks!
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wait, back up.  You've posted before about this, right?  Tell us where the reception is.  You don't want your ceremony site to be more than about 15-20 minutes from your reception and "east side" covers a lot of area.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, ok... The reception is set for the Troutdale House... in Troutdale.

I don't want to make people drive too much from one place to the other, so that's why I want to keep it a 20 minute drive max.

Don't ask me why I'm not just holding the whole thing at the Troutdale House, it's a long story...

Basically, I just need something simple... A chapel or church that can accomodate 150 people. But I really want something that looks different than your typical church. I want something that is just beautiful to begin with so I don't have to spend too much $$$ on decorations. We're on a tight budget, and rather than cut costs in places like food/bev, we've decided we're going to keep the decorations to a minimum. So, yeah.... :)
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok...I have no idea on pricing, but two places that come to mind are

The Grotto - they have some specific requirements because it is Catholic - http://www.thegrotto.org/about-us/weddings/

and

It will be hard to find a church that will do a wedding for under $500 for a non-member, be able to accomodate 150 and not need any decorating.  You could start calling churches in the area though.  You might want to consider looking at the Sam Cox Building through the Troutdale Parks and Rec.  http://www.ci.troutdale.or.us/parks-facilities/buildingrentals.htm

Thinking outside the box a bit, what about looking to see if there's a suitable space at Mount Hood Community College?  I know you can rent space there - http://www.mhcc.edu/CommunityConnections.aspx?id=1021

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards