Chit Chat
Options

ahh job rant..

Hey guys.  Im sorry but I just gotta get some stuff out and maybe get some advice on my situation. Im really stuck in a rut and dont know what to do.  Sorry if its a little cryptic, dont want anyone at my job to read it and know its me since everyone knows im addicted to the knot! hopefuly the jist still gets across..

ive been working at a brand new business for a few months now and the goings are definately rough.  I get paid commission with no hourly wage, and between being a new business and the non existant marketing and advertising budget and poor management im making the equivelent of way way way below minimum wage.  The business has great potential location-wise, and I could see it being a success down the line, I just dont know if i can stick it out.  the onwer and I have issues too, i dont feel respected for the time i have put in for no pay both on location and during my off hours at home.  i dont wanna go into too much detail for privacy sake, but basically i leave everyday feeling drained and frustrated and its taking my passion away from my industry that i used to love.  im debating just quitting while im ahead, before i donate more time and struggle more than i have to, but i also feel like ive put so much in this silly place, like the last several months would have been all for nothing. thoughts? thanks and sorry for the vent...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: ahh job rant..

• Options
    Personally, I would have a very, VERY hard time working somewhere where I was not being compensated for my time. If it were me, I would be looking for another job.
  • Options
    veassieveassie member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    yea thanks, i have been leaning towards leaving for a while now, so are a lot of the other girls.  i have a second job thats part time starting asap, my original plan was to do both until either the first job picks up or the second offers me full time, but im so frustrated now that I might just rather do the part time second job as my main source of an income for a while just to save myself the frustration.. im just so bad with confrontation i hate making waves! and me leaving would so make waves, since i was the first employee, here before we even opened putting everything together, donating my time for free web design work.. ugh
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ahh-job-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:2ca88065-eb92-42c7-865a-083f5095887dPost:304dc9aa-ef96-4616-bddd-3c1bd6650d11">Re: ahh job rant..</a>:
    [QUOTE]yea thanks, i have been leaning towards leaving for a while now, so are a lot of the other girls.  i have a second job thats part time starting asap, my original plan was to do both until either the first job picks up or the second offers me full time, but im so frustrated now that I might just rather do the part time second job as my main source of an income for a while just to save myself the frustration.. im just so bad with confrontation i hate making waves! and me leaving would so make waves, since i was the first employee, here before we even opened putting everything together, donating my time for free web design work.. ugh
    Posted by veassie[/QUOTE]
    Of course, you don't want to burn your bridges, but you can honestly just say that you're not making the money you need to make with the company, and as much as you want to stick it out, you simply cannot afford too. You've gotta look out for yourself here.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ahh-job-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:2ca88065-eb92-42c7-865a-083f5095887dPost:ef8a402f-a155-40fa-b064-3f3c4b12f222">Re: ahh job rant..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ahh job rant.. : Of course, you don't want to burn your bridges, but you can honestly just say that you're not making the money you need to make with the company, and as much as you want to stick it out, you simply cannot afford too. You've gotta look out for yourself here.
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]

I think this is a good route. That way, in the future, if the company does take off you could possibly look into joining back in. You also don't want to loose the possibility of having a good reference.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    yea im worried about burning bridges, its a small industry.  i think the line between employee and employer has been blurred a bit too, since i was so involved in the begginning helping out for no fee, but in the end it isnt my business even if they tend to view me like i care just as much as they do... if that makes sense? they have forgotten that im just an employee and not a business partner... if they were offering me some kind of incentive to stick it out then maybe i would stay, but its not like im offered a peice of the business to stay.  i would just be sticking it out in the hopes that soon ill make minimum wage hah.. not great prospects.  i know they will flip no matter how i word it, and accuse me of not being commited to the industry and not have it in me to succeed, that it takes work to do well and all that.. i already got that rant when i told them i needed to cut my hours to take a second job even tho i explained i needed it in order to make rent and pay for groceries and gas. so frustrating! makes me hate coming to work
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It looks like a catch 22, you either stay and hate your life, or you quit and have them "hate" you, basically for no reason. It is a business, and they (as well as you) can't take it personally. I know it's easier said than done, but I think you will feel soooo much better once you do it!

They have to understand. If they don't, then I don't think they are the kind of people to work for whether you make money or not.

And if they accuse you of not being "committed" then maybe say "I AM a team player, and the hours and effort I have put into this business since the beginning prove my commitment. But unfortunately working with this company isn't providing the means I need to SURVIVE. I cannot afford rent, transportation, food... I have struggled since the beginning and I simply cannot afford to work here anymore." If they complain any more and become rude, I think it's fair to be firm and say "Sorry but my decision is final."

Good luck with whatever you do!
  • Options
    thanks for all the words of advice lady.. really helping me to get the guts to finally do this. ive been feeling bad about this place for about a month now, its just a sticky situation! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would stay there until I find something else.  Commision sales jobs are bogus especially if the company isn't doing their part to get the word out and make it profitable.  

Working somewhere that drains your passion is no good and makes you bitter in the end!

Stick it out until you find something else

Best of Luck!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ahh-job-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:2ca88065-eb92-42c7-865a-083f5095887dPost:c78d4ce1-9c3f-434c-906a-fbe1819512dc">Re: ahh job rant..</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks for all the words of advice lady.. really helping me to get the guts to finally do this. ive been feeling bad about this place for about a month now, its just a sticky situation! 
    Posted by veassie[/QUOTE]

ALWAYS listen to your gut. It'll tell you more than you'll ever realize. ;)

I hope things go smoothly. Remember too that when one door closes, another opens ;).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards