Snarky Brides
Options

What do you think about Newt's comments?

Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:89e92d90-c3ca-4f3f-b2e3-153867f42b18">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : I agree. And 16 year olds can get jobs, there aren't laws against it. I haven't found when Newt wants kids to start working, but he thinks the laws are too strict, which makes me think he's talking younger than 15, 16. ETA: And I still think there is a difference between a 16 year old and a full grown adult.
    Posted by SereJane[/QUOTE]

But he isnt talking about getting a full time 40hr/wk job.  Kids under 16 get jobs all the time.  Delivering newspapers for a hour or 2 after school, baby-sitting, dog walking, etc.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:e370f3af-7e59-4a6c-b60a-50668780b4ff">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : I'm saying that when you're trying to do your homework, and I think we can all agree that schools are consitently assigning more and more homework, and you have a learning disability, it's probably going to take you more time to do the homework.  You might have to have tutors or after school programs to keep up.  Going to work everyday after school would cut into that time.  And I'm sorry, but getting a good solid basic education is more important than a $6 an hour job unless you're okay working that $6 an hour job for the rest of your life.
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]
    I don't know this for sure because the article doesn't say, but I don't think he's saying these kids are expected to work full time 40/hr week. I take it as helping out for an hour or two.<div>
    </div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:e370f3af-7e59-4a6c-b60a-50668780b4ff">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : I'm saying that when you're trying to do your homework, and I think we can all agree that schools are consitently assigning more and more homework, and you have a learning disability, it's probably going to take you more time to do the homework.  You might have to have tutors or after school programs to keep up.  Going to work everyday after school would cut into that time.  And I'm sorry, but getting a good solid basic education is more important than a $6 an hour job unless you're okay working that $6 an hour job for the rest of your life.

But who says it has to be everyday?  I worked weekends and it was a great experience. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:5f0b32df-bcae-4815-bb60-3c6817926bc6">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : I don't believe that having to earn the things you want in life means that your life is over and you can never have an ounce of fun again. I work every day, and I still have time to do childish things, clean my house, hang out with friends, do laundry. I don't jump out of bed every morning and scream "OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO WORK, IT'S SO EXCITING, I LOVE WORKING SO MUCH" but I don't look at it as a torture. Working is just part of life. I like nice things so I drag my ass to work so that I can have them.
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I think if child labor laws were relaxed, too many kids would go to school, work, do their homework, go to bed, repeat. I think the labor laws are just fine the way they are-teenagers who want to and are able to work do so. Also, I think it would be wrong for the expectations we have for an adult to work to get shoved onto a 15 year old. School should be a child's job.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:0c57f239-8712-4329-8fab-73a880bd6f27">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : But he isnt talking about getting a full time 40hr/wk job.  Kids under 16 get jobs all the time.  Delivering newspapers for a hour or 2 after school, baby-sitting, dog walking, etc.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Right. So why relax the laws?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:c5200e45-4ad5-4c10-8efa-23b89d4fbd44">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : But who says it has to be everyday?  I worked weekends and it was a great experience. 

He's talking about cleaning schools and working in schools.  That happens after classes, not on weekends.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:f8916069-2968-421c-8480-6c5013a6f2d5">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : Right. So why relax the laws?

Don't. Just expand it so those kids who WANT to, can also work at the school or doing somethign else that will benefit the society that they're a part of.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:e166bcfb-bd88-4add-acee-f4c0888b1ded">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : I don't know this for sure because the article doesn't say, but I don't think he's saying these kids are expected to work full time 40/hr week.<strong> I take it as helping out for an hour or two.</strong>

I think that's part of my issue. It's not clear what the expectations are. Like Celles said, if the child labor laws were loosened too much, it would be more than an hour or two.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:1c9fa625-5208-4bde-8ccb-b4b3a8cc5eab">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : I agree, but I think if child labor laws were relaxed, too many kids would go to school, work, do their homework, go to bed, repeat. I think the labor laws are just fine the way they are-teenagers who want to and are able to work do so.<strong><u> Also, I think it would be wrong for the expectations we have for an adult to work to get shoved onto a 15 year old</u></strong>. School should be a child's job.

This is driving me nuts.  Thats not what anyone is saying.  15 year olds are not adults.  They are not expected to be or work like adults.  Working 10-15 hours a week is not an "adult" thing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:f8916069-2968-421c-8480-6c5013a6f2d5">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : Right. So why relax the laws?

Exactly. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:65f39b9f-d5ae-4128-a5ab-5e1f07752037">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : He's talking about cleaning schools and working in schools.  That happens after classes, not on weekends.

School janitors work on the weekends, especially if there are any extra-curricular activities going on.
  • Options
    We used to have to stay after school and clean it when we had detention.  FOR FREE.  I guess I was being exploited.  Who knew.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:f8916069-2968-421c-8480-6c5013a6f2d5">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:

I dont know if this is the case where you live, but you can legally work at 14 here with a work permit from you school.  Maybe he is talking about the laws in different states where they may state that you cannot legally work until you are 16?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:0ec36e79-a51a-4ae4-9215-402dc7dd00d5">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : This is driving me nuts.  Thats not what anyone is saying.  <strong>15 year olds are not adults.  They are not expected to be or work like adults.  Working 10-15 hours a week is not an "adult" thing.</strong>

Pirate's comment *suggested* she thinks "Get a job" is not just something that should be directed at adults.

And I agree with that bolded statement,which is why I say-why change the labor laws?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:1c9fa625-5208-4bde-8ccb-b4b3a8cc5eab">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : I agree, but I think if child labor laws were relaxed, too many kids would go to school, work, do their homework, go to bed, repeat. I think the labor laws are just fine the way they are-teenagers who want to and are able to work do so. Also, I think it would be wrong for the expectations we have for an adult to work to get shoved onto a 15 year old. School should be a child's job.
    I don't agree with doing away with the laws altogether, but I'm ok with relaxing them some. Maybe ages 10-15 you can only work a max of 12 hrs/week, ages 15-18 you can work up to 25 hrs/week. If a kid wants something (within reason), and their parents aren't able or willing to provide it, I like the idea that they can work to earn it for themselves. It's a really valuable lesson that far too many people never figured out.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:cb025854-df8f-4045-ba53-aa998ef4b874">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : Don't. Just expand it so those kids who WANT to, can also work at the school or doing somethign else that will benefit the society that they're a part of.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

But that's not what he wants to do.  He was talking about getting rid of the janitor's union and staffing it completely with kids except for one "master janitor".  He's talking about positions that are already filled by adults.  So what, we get rid of the assistant librarians they already have to have kids staff it?  What happens to that adult who now has to find a new job?  Or are we just going to add the kids to the payroll?  Where is the money to pay them going to come from then?

That's a lot of relaxing, in my opinion.  And none of it is thought out.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:6e464fcc-1008-4ebd-9485-275e0803b125">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : I dont know if this is the case where you live, but you can legally work at 14 here with a work permit from you school.  Maybe he is talking about the laws in different states where they may state that you cannot legally work until you are 16?

Hmm, that might make more sense. I would like to know more about the nitty gritty details of the policy he envisions, because if it's something like a work permit for a 14 yr old to work a very part time job, I would feel MUCH differently about it then if he's thinking 12 or 13 yr olds (or younger) should be cleaning their schools.
  • Options
    I would even be ok with only taxing those youngest workers at a ridiculously low rate.  That way they still understand that you have to pay some taxes, but they also get to keep more of the money that they earn.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:f66deb2d-f0c5-4d38-a143-3629caa92f07">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : Hmm, that might make more sense. I would like to know more about the nitty gritty details of the policy he envisions, because if it's something like a work permit for a 14 yr old to work a very part time job, I would feel MUCH differently about it then if he's thinking 12 or 13 yr olds (or younger) should be cleaning their schools.

For the 14 year olds with the work permits, there are a lot of restrictions (rightfully so).  They cannont work more than X amount of hours in a day, cannot work past a certain time at night, and cannot work more than X amount of hours total in a week. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:94dbc71a-9dfd-40f5-9c3c-d1bbff157ba9">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : I don't agree with doing away with the laws altogether, but I'm ok with relaxing them some. Maybe ages 10-15 you can only work a max of 12 hrs/week, ages 15-18 you can work up to 25 hrs/week. If a kid wants something (within reason), and their parents aren't able or willing to provide it, I like the idea that they can work to earn it for themselves. It's a really valuable lesson that far too many people never figured out.

25 hours a week is a lot if you are taking demanding classes, which you have to be in order to get into a good college.

And I would not be okay with a ten year old working 12 hours a week.

ETA: I do agree with your sentiment about developing a work ethic. It's important. I think going about it this way could be dangerous.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One question I'd have about the labor laws is if they would take away the time restrictions. When I was 15-16 I worked a retail job, but legally I could only work until 10pm while school was in session. But during the summer, they could make me work until midnight and have to be back at 8am. I wouldn't support taking away a law that protected kids from having to over-work themselves in that way. However, I do agree that kids should be allowed to take on jobs a couple days a week or on weekends.

Many do it anyway, under the table (like babysitting or whatever). Here you can start working at 15.

As for the sports thing, it is super expensive to play anything here. My brother's sports cost my parents a fortune. In high school he had to pay for his own stuff after he got a job because they couldn't afford it anymore.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:13dd0447-5c7c-4752-ac4d-ef30e4f45fd3">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : For the 14 year olds with the work permits, there are a lot of restrictions (rightfully so).  They cannont work more than X amount of hours in a day, cannot work past a certain time at night, and cannot work more than X amount of hours total in a week. 

Okay, that's what WA has too. I had one when I was 15 and it worked well for me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:ada49f35-cb92-402e-aa8a-416359b6743e">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : <strong><u>25 hours a week is a lot if you are taking demanding classes, which you have to be in order to get into a good college</u></strong>. And I would not be okay with a ten year old working 12 hours a week. ETA: I do agree with your sentiment about developing a work ethic. It's important. I think going about it this way could be dangerous.

It might be a lot, but its doable and some of us did it and ended up fine.  The option to be able to do that if you want should be there.  If its too much for 1 kid, they dont have to do it, but if another kid wants to, they should be allowed to.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:47a6934b-ac81-43eb-b380-d46950c5e542">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : But that's not what he wants to do.  He was talking about getting rid of the janitor's union and staffing it completely with kids except for one "master janitor".  He's talking about positions that are already filled by adults.  So what, we get rid of the assistant librarians they already have to have kids staff it?  What happens to that adult who now has to find a new job?  Or are we just going to add the kids to the payroll?  Where is the money to pay them going to come from then? That's a lot of relaxing, in my opinion.  And none of it is thought out.

I hate the fact that he is trying to rid some adults of their jobs.
  • Options
    dmiller9274dmiller9274 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:ada49f35-cb92-402e-aa8a-416359b6743e">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : <strong>25 hours a week is a lot if you are taking demanding classes, which you have to be in order to get into a good college.</strong> And I would not be okay with a ten year old working 12 hours a week. ETA: I do agree with your sentiment about developing a work ethic. It's important. I think going about it this way could be dangerous.
    So everyone has to go to a good college? If a kid has 0 aspirations of going to college, they should be punished and not allowed to work additional hours. <div>Allowing someone the ability to work 25 hrs is perfectly acceptable for a lot of people. A lot of people can handle it. If you can't handle working 25 hours while in school, that's fine, don't do it. Stopping the children who are perfectly capable of pulling both off is silly to me. </div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:d00b731e-93a0-4e43-8075-5b3280f9d0e0">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : Pirate's comment *suggested* she thinks "Get a job" is not just something that should be directed at adults. And I agree with that bolded statement,which is why I say-why change the labor laws?

But "get a job" does not mean "go work full time" or "go to school, work, do your homework, go to bed, repeat"

You've used yourself as an example Sere, of someone who worked as a teenager to have more spending power.

We hear it all the time, if you can't afford your lifestyle then either find a way to earn more income or decrease your spending.  Why should that only apply once you turn 18 or 16 or whatever the age is.

I'm not saying make the 9 year olds sew soccer balls with their teeth.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:290dd179-72c9-4e65-83c2-da25bf7ff6ec">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : So everyone has to go to a good college? If a kid has 0 aspirations of going to college, they should be punished and not allowed to work additional hours.  Allowing someone the ability to work 25 hrs is perfectly acceptable for a lot of people. A lot of people can handle it. If you can't handle working 25 hours while in school, that's fine, don't do it. Stopping the children who are perfectly capable of pulling both off is silly to me. 

Of course not, but I think a lot of kids want to. Aren't people always saying the "way out" of poverty is education?

Also, <a href="http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page/2011/11/newt_gingrich_derides_child_la.html" target="_blank">this</a> article states "studies have found that the more students work, the lower their grades and the more likely they are to have academic and behavioral problems and drop out of school." Obviously some can balance it, but many can't.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:e166bcfb-bd88-4add-acee-f4c0888b1ded">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : I don't know this for sure because the article doesn't say, but I don't think he's saying these kids are expected to work full time 40/hr week. I take it as helping out for an hour or two.

The article doesn't say because Newt doesn't say, because Newt isn't thinking it through.  If he wants to talk about allowing optional after school work programs for impoverished teens, then he should talk about allowing optional after school work programs for impoverished teens.  Instead, he's talking about rolling back the same child labor laws that are designed to protect children from exploitation and abuse. 

In other words: Blue's sanitized interpretation makes him seem much saner than he is, lol.

(The conversation has probably moved on since I started typing this.  Damn work, impeding my ability to debate politics on the Internets.  *shakesfist*)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_think-newts-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:cd03229a-6e4c-48c7-9f97-811c5be84939Post:8f3cdb2c-edec-4a8d-aaca-c2c0206a57e6">Re: What do you think about Newt's comments?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think about Newt's comments? : But "get a job" does not mean "go work full time" or "go to school, work, do your homework, go to bed, repeat" You've used yourself as an example Sere, of someone who worked as a teenager to have more spending power. We hear it all the time, if you can't afford your lifestyle then either find a way to earn more income or decrease your spending.  Why should that only apply once you turn 18 or 16 or whatever the age is. I'm not saying make the 9 year old sew soccer balls with their teeth.
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

Right, but as I've said, kids CAN do that now under the current laws. Why change them?
  • Options
    Sere, I worked the max 26 hours/week. Almost every single week during high school once I turned 16.  I also had 58 college credits when I graduated from HS.  I helped take care of my siblings many nights too, so my mom could teach college classes at night.  I volunteered with my church often. (I promise we weren't all as crazy as the guy we're currently arguing with on fb.) 

I made it out just fine, with a damn strong work-ethic, too, I might add.  My studies didn't suffer.  Sure, I didn't have as much time to go out and drink like some of my classmates, but so what? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards