Chit Chat
Options

Interesting requests from groom?

Hello ladies! 1st time poster here, long time lurker! I was just wondering if any of you ladies have/had any interesting requests from the groom. Something quirky and out of the ordinary.

My FH absolutely insists that I wear my hair down. He kind of throws a mini-fit if I even joke about wearing it up! I’m not sure why, but that’s really the only thing that he’s asked for directly relating to the wedding. 

Re: Interesting requests from groom?

• Options
    DH insisted on not seeing the dress beforehand.  If I had it out at home, I had to send him a text (even if he was at work) so he wouldn't accidentally see it.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_interesting-requests-from-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:88c1d719-1214-4e95-97d7-c962bcc77b55Post:bc4afeec-7ab6-4fba-872b-c9a844b258c2">Re: Interesting requests from groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]DH insisted on not seeing the dress beforehand.  If I had it out at home, I had to send him a text (even if he was at work) so he wouldn't accidentally see it.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

Mine had the same request. He also said he'd love to see my hair either all down or 1/2 down.

I honestly don't see those requests as weird. I mean, he could have asked for worse things lol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_interesting-requests-from-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:88c1d719-1214-4e95-97d7-c962bcc77b55Post:902d948d-33b7-4542-bf20-6d04718c15ca">Re: Interesting requests from groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I was dress shopping, <font color="#ff00ff">FI kept insisting that I get a dress that showed off my butt. Weirdo</font>. And he did request that the band plays "Jump On It". Other than that he hasn't really requested anything specific.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

That had me LMAO!
  • Options
    My FI has an opinion on every single DIY thing I do (table #s, signs, etc) which I didn't think he'd even care about at all. Luckily though, he does have really good ideas/suggestions and I end up liking my DIY stuff better after his input.
    imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • Options
    Fi doesn't like big ballgown dresses. Wanted me to get a form fitting dress.
    imageimage
  • Options
    His one request has been that there be buffalo wings at the reception.  He will give me input on other things but that is his only real request that I know he will not buge on.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    FI has requested to not see my dress before the wedding, & to not see me on our wedding day until I walk down the aisle. I am perfectly okay with both of these requests!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My FI insisted that he plan the dinner menu.  (Fine by me).  Actually, he has had lots of opinions about planning our ceremony, mens formalwear and music.  He has no unusual requests for me as far as what I wear, how I do my hair, etc. other than he does NOT want to see my dress beforehand in any way, shape or form.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    - That one of our colours be red
    - That we not get married in June
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_interesting-requests-from-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:88c1d719-1214-4e95-97d7-c962bcc77b55Post:0cefdd4a-e572-4266-9a26-dbd1cb1d2509">Re: Interesting requests from groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My <font color="#ff00ff">FI has an opinion on every single DIY thing I do</font> (table #s, signs, etc) which I didn't think he'd even care about at all. Luckily though, he does have really good ideas/suggestions and I end up liking my DIY stuff better after his input.
    Posted by cpm1223[/QUOTE]

Mine too, but that's because he has to help me with them all! (I only have use of one arm.)
  • Options
    FI has input on everything but really only had 1 direct request.. He wanted me to get a strapless dress because he thinks I have sexy collarbones & he wants to be able to look at them. I had no idea he liked them!
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_interesting-requests-from-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:88c1d719-1214-4e95-97d7-c962bcc77b55Post:3f81fef4-9886-450d-bcc8-61d58c06d317">Re: Interesting requests from groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]- That one of our colours be red - That we not get married in June
    Posted by Beads921[/QUOTE]
    Interesting requests.  Why June?
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    I really like the look of blusher veils (I think that's the word, the ones that have a piece that goes over your face), but my FI is absolutely insistent that I don't wear one.  He says he wants to see my face clearly.  He also doesn't want bubbles, but I'm working on that one....
  • Options
    Nothing too weird from him, His mother on the other hand has insisted that there is a coffee bar at the wedding so she can have a Latte/capachino thing after her dinner
  • Options
    My FI has let me go with what I want as far as the decor theme (fall, rustic, barn), but he is adamently against my idea to use haybales for seating during our short outdoor ceremony.

He is also picky about the menu, but good thing him and I are both major foodies and we agree exactly as to what our food should be.

And oddly, he really wants my hair to have some "bouncy curls."
  • Options

My FI has also had a lot more input regarding wedding decisions than I was expecting. The problem is, I rarely like his ideas o.O

His biggest request was for us to have even sides. He could not wrap his head around uneven sides. He was either going to kick out one of his brothers, or make me add another girl. I held really firm on that & refused to buckle. I eventually won & got my uneven sides. Now that it’s months later, one of the GM can’t make it, so we have even sides after all….
  • Options
    My FI works in the film industry behind the camera, so he has been super picky about the overall 'look' and 'vibe.' Picking out a photographer and videographer was somewhat of a nightmare because he was so picky, but I knew how important it was to him (and, let's be honest, his work friends).
    I actually think it's cute, and he really wants me to be happy, too. Plus, I'm a CPA so when it comes to anything artsy, I 100% trust his opinion.
    For example, he designed our STD's and I wasn't that crazy about them, but it's not like I could have come up with anything better. I have had multiple people say they are the cutest STD's they have ever seen, just because they are so different. Shows what I know. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_interesting-requests-from-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:88c1d719-1214-4e95-97d7-c962bcc77b55Post:39d9c020-34f9-48a1-bf97-783890819b4e">Re: Interesting requests from groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not going to lie -<strong> I'm going to ignore any request from FI about my personal look.</strong>  I have shown him pictures of dresses that I tried on, and I know what he likes, but honestly it's not what I love, and wasn't what I was most comfortable in.  I know on the day of our wedding, he's not going to care of it's an A-line dress or a more form fitting one.  As for my hair - he gets no say in that.  It's my hair.  I know how much it would annoy me if I wore it down and it got frizzy and the curls fell out.  I just want a style that will look good all night long and matches my personality.  Most of FI's opinion about my hair is "How long will it take you to do that to your hair?" when we're going out.  I know he likes my hair natural - down and curly - and I can do that enough times on our honeymoon if he wants to see it like that.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

THIS. FI always talks about how I should get Zooey Deschnel (SP?) bangs because 'she looks so cute.' My hair is SUPER thin and stringy and I only DREAM of hair thick enough to have those kinds of bangs. He is always trying to persuade me to get bangs and the poor man just doesn't understand.
  • Options
    DH wanted control of the menu, bar and candy buffet (he's a chef who has worked a ton of weddings, who am I to disagree?)

He had one request that will be funny on here.  He didn't want me to have "one of those mosquito net, bug things in front of my face".   Normally people call them veils.  We lived in the island and he associates the veil material with mosquito nets. 

I wasn't going to have one anyway, but it was cute they way he said it.  It took me a little while to figure out what he was talking about.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    FI also wanted my hair down and didn't want to see the dress or me in it. He also was opinionated about the food/alcohol and the DJ. 

He also wanted an afterparty, which I was strongly opposed to. He had gone to them before when members of the WP all knew each other and there were lots of young, unmarried folks with no kids, but this does not describe our situation.

None of our WP are really friends (except 2 of his GMs), and several of our attendants are married with kids, who will be at the wedding. So this makes for a less fun afterparty, because a lot of people wouldn't even come and then those who would probably wouldn't have as much fun together. I also didn't think highly of us getting wasted after the wedding, when we have to get up at 7am the next morning to leave for the HM. Our reception ends at 10 for a reason. Plus I want to get to business if you know what I mean. 

What other people do afterwards is fine, but I eventually won FI over with the reason listed above. I felt awful because it was like one of the few things he was really adamant about, but I wasn't budging. All of that probably makes me sound snobby, but I promise I'm not. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_interesting-requests-from-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:88c1d719-1214-4e95-97d7-c962bcc77b55Post:923f5c2b-2b68-47e0-9acd-e807fc00911c">Re: Interesting requests from groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI also wanted my hair down and didn't want to see the dress or me in it. He also was opinionated about the food/alcohol and the DJ.  He also wanted an afterparty, which I was strongly opposed to. He had gone to them before when members of the WP all knew each other and there were lots of young, unmarried folks with no kids, but this does not describe our situation. None of our WP are really friends (except 2 of his GMs), and several of our attendants are married with kids, who will be at the wedding. So this makes for a less fun afterparty, because a lot of people wouldn't even come and then those who would probably wouldn't have as much fun together. I also didn't think highly of us getting wasted after the wedding, when we have to get up at 7am the next morning to leave for the HM. Our reception ends at 10 for a reason<strong>. Plus I want to get to business if you know what I mean.  What other people do afterwards is fine, but I eventually won FI over with the reason listed above.</strong> I felt awful because it was like one of the few things he was really adamant about, but I wasn't budging. All of that probably makes me sound snobby, but I promise I'm not. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]

Works like a charm, every time :)  ha ha. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    Only thing so far is that he is adamant that I NOT wear a fascinator or a birdcage veil.  He thinks they look ridiculous.  I'm not a fan of either one anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem. 

I'm sure he'll come up with something else as things move forward. :P
  • Options
    My Fiance doesn't want me to wear a veil.  He thinks they are too traditional and stereotypical  of a bride, and he doesn't understand what purpose they serve.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DH had a lot of input into our wedding - all in a good way.  He specifically wanted blue as one of our colors and asked that I wear my hair down, too.  (We compromised - I wanted it out of my face so I had it pinned down and to the side.)  He was pretty adamant about not seeing the dress and picked out all the tux styles on his own.  I really liked that he was involved.  The only thing he had no say in that I did was the rehearsal dinner cake - which doubled as his groom's cake.
    Anniversary

• Options
    His main request was for me not to involve him in wedding details. 

I think the only other 'request' was not to have it on the week of his b-day.  We had agreed to a November wedding but he wanted the wedding before so it wouldn't overshadow his b-day (which I thought was odd since the only person that celebrates and/or makes a big deal about it is me).
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    My FI watched too many Say Yes to the Dress shows with me.. he was adamant there not be massive amounts of cleavage (not that I wear anything revealing on a day to day basis). Other than that, I can't seem to get him to have an opinion on anything.

Normally I get "whatever makes you happy honey." Can't complain about an easy-going groom I guess.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_interesting-requests-from-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:88c1d719-1214-4e95-97d7-c962bcc77b55Post:39d9c020-34f9-48a1-bf97-783890819b4e">Re: Interesting requests from groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not going to lie - I'm going to ignore any request from FI about my personal look.  I have shown him pictures of dresses that I tried on, and I know what he likes, but honestly it's not what I love, and wasn't what I was most comfortable in.  I know on the day of our wedding, he's not going to care of it's an A-line dress or a more form fitting one.  As for my hair - he gets no say in that.  It's my hair.  I know how much it would annoy me if I wore it down and it got frizzy and the curls fell out.  I just want a style that will look good all night long and matches my personality.  Most of FI's opinion about my hair is "How long will it take you to do that to your hair?" when we're going out.  <strong>I know he likes my hair natural - down and curly - and I can do that enough times on our honeymoon if he wants to see it like that.  </strong>
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Haha so true!
  • Options
    FI really wanted a fall wedding (we're getting married in October) and a big party (no afternoon cake and punch reception allowed).

He likes to joke that he'll wear a powder blue tux. I told him that I can just as easily walk back up the aisle.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Chick&GuyChick&Guy member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    My FI has been pretty involved and opinionated in the entire process, which I don't think of as odd I like that he is knows it's his wedding as well. 

Ill mention this because a PP said it...my FI said one day in passing about how he does not like ball gowns and pictures me in a form fitting dress.  He even pointed out a specific poofy dress that he thought looked ridiculous when trying to explain to me why...that happens to be the dress I bought.  I even bought it after the fact, I doubt he will remember it and I don’t plan on wearing a slip to exaggerate the poof.

The only request that FI had that I thought was odd and we butted heads on involved one of my BMs.  One of my close friends is a guy and I asked him to be my bridesmaid, my FI didn’t mind this at all he did however insist that this BM stand on his side.  This totally blew my mind, just because he is a male does not change who he is standing up for...

Edit: Sorry about the font I do not know why it is so small?
    I've loved you since I was 8 years old...
    243 Invited image
    171 Are ready to party! image
    70 Are party poopers! image
    2 Said they can't give an answer until a week before the wedding..EXCUSE ME?!!! image
    RSVP Deadline WAS September 20th!
  • Options
    DH requested the following:

Cheese Platter
    No first look, no dress seeing 
    Midnight snack
    Venue on the water

He was adamant about the cheese platter.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards