Not Engaged Yet
Options

What string of events led you to your SO?

2»

Re: What string of events led you to your SO?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got out of a bad relationship and I was bowling w/ some friends complaining how I need a new BF.  She said her friend Chris was single and she was friends w/ him because he is her husband's close friend and co-worker.  We had a bunch of mutual friends in common but were never single at the same time.  Our friends planned a group trip to see Avenue Q on Broadway and we hit it off right away.  A month later we began dating and the rest is history.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Fun! I'm going to say it was inevitable. My best friend just got engaged, and she said I had been single long enough, and if I was game, she was going to help me give jdate another chance so that I could have a date to her wedding. I doubted she would actually succeed, but she made it her mission. She formulated this spreadsheet and a fake username, narrowed down the choices and told me who to message. She found his profile somehow, even though he didn't show up in my searches and I never showed up in his. Anyway, she told me to message him, so I did, and the rest is history. Sounds random, but as we started talking, come to find out we went to high school together, he graduated a year before me, in the year that my sister was supposed to graduate in, but she graduated a year early. But they had a lot of mutual friends in common, and being the baby sister, I knew those people as well. Yet our paths never crossed, and he never met my sister either, even though my sister dated his high school best friend for a couple weeks. He thinks we had economics together, I can't remember him at all, although our hs had 4000 students, so it's impossible to know everyone. We keep talking, and his dad is a physician in the medical office across the street from where I lived up until 6 months ago. My grandfather had been going to him for the last 12 years. The office was originally founded by my dads cousin, she was the one that hired him, but then right after hiring him, she got very I'll and passed away a few months later. Hiring him was basically the last thing she did before she died. But it gets even better. My dad sells medical supplies. His grandma has a home attendant who uses my dad for supplies for her mother. His grandma needed a walker, so she asked her home attendant for a recommendation, and she recommended my dad. He goes to her house, and they start chatting like people do. She mentions she has a very successful, very attractive grandson. But I was dating someone else at that time, so my dad didn't really take it any further. So all these common people, all these could have met but didn't, until my best friend got engaged. My grandpa has so often talked about both me and my sister in his office, he already knew me by the time we officially met because my grandpa tells him everything. But he is the uber professional, and doesn't say anything about his family at work. So it kind of seems like it was bound to happen. Oh, and that guy I was dating when my dad met his grandma? Turns out the 2 of them hated each other in high school. They absolutely despised each other. I think it's kind of funny that I could have met him sooner but was with his arch nemesis at the time. Anyway, sorry thus was so long.
  • Options
    QuiltingNurseQuiltingNurse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess had I made one different choice we never would have met. Right when I graduated I had two job offers, one in the city we live in now, and one in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I decided on the small town because I thought I would get a better experience and see different things there (completely wrong, I hated every second of it). On my first day of work, BF brought in a patient and all the nurses were in the er, I thought he was really good looking but we didn't talk, I told my friend about him actually and we referred to him as Hottie Ambulance. I assumed he had a girlfriend so I didn't talk to him and casually hung out with another guy. One day we talked with another nurse at the hospital and I got to know him a bit and found out he didn't have a girlfriend (yay!) but thought that was it. A few days later we talked again and he asked what my plans were for the night and I got nervous so I went on and on about other things and then eventually made a quick exit. A couple days later I was walking the dog past the ambulance base and he saw us so came out to talk and we ended up hanging out all evening. After that we spent basically all our time together.

A few weeks after we started hanging out we took a trip down to see my family and some friends, and then the day after we got back I quit my job (really not a good move since I hadn't thought of all the details yet) and then cried to him and he suggested I move in with him and find a job in the city. And we've been together ever since! Had I taken the job in the city we never would have met, and had I stayed at my job we probably wouldn't have stayed together because of the distance (only 2 hours but it seemed like a lot)!
  • Options
    sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think mine is a mixture of the two. I almost attended high school with BF, but my family moved from Las Vegas to a town about 1.5 hours away from Vegas right before high school. Had we not moved, I would have been zoned for the same high school as him. However, if I had met him in high school, I really doubt we would have dated. I was a pretty clean cut kid in high school, and my parents were very strict. BF hung out with all the punk rock kids, and he was insanely obnoxious from the stories I hear about him during that time.

When it was time for me to attend college, my mom forced me to go to one particular in-state school, instead of UCSB, which was where I desperately wanted to go. I met BF because we were both in the honors program and lived in the dorms on the honors floor. I hung out with him a few times during the first semester, and then he started hanging out with my group of friends much more during the second semester. I thought he was cute, but he still had some of his high school behavior.

As time went on, he mellowed out a lot and I finally decided I liked him enough to ask him out. We dated for about 6 weeks during spring of sophomore year but had some communication problems. We broke up, but still hung out all the time because we had a ton of mutual friends. We ended up becoming very close during this time. About 4 months after we broke up, a bunch of friends were drinking in my dorm room. People filtered out as the night went on and it was just the two of us left. We were very drunk and ended up talking for like 3 hours. The next day he told me he realized how much he enjoyed spending time with me, and that he wanted to get dinner together to discuss the possibility of getting back together. I agreed, and here we are 3.5 years later!
  • Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We met protesting against Scientology and got really close when we both received cease and desist letters from them. Our C&Ds are now hanging on the wall in our house, haha!

The cities where we lived at the time were more than an hour apart and there's no overlap in our social lives. We would have very easily not met each other ever if it weren't for Scientology being filled with a bunch of human rights abusing douches.

• Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I met BF at a bar in Philadelphia, even though neither of us lived there at the time, and in fact both lived in the same place about 45 minutes away. We went to the same college for four years and never met, even though we have some friends in common, and were probably at the same bar numerous times.

I think we met when we were ready to meet. If we had met each other early in college, we would have been so different that I don't think we would have gotten along at all. Plus, we both had a serious relationship with someone else during college, and I think they made both of us realize what we did and didn't want in a relationship.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As corny as it sounds, FI and I met on IMVU in a music-themed chatroom. We talked for about a week and became good friends, watching YouTube videos together (sometimes even full-length movies, being sure to press play at the same time while we talked on Skype, so it felt like we were watching it together). We remained friends all throughout college, and then fell out of touch once I moved back home. Then, out of boredom, I logged in to my account for the first time in almost a year. FI logged in at the same time, out of boredom, and we were so excited we started talking again, and have been in contact ever since.

After about 2 years of an online friendship, he flew in and the two of us met up with some mutual friends who were flying into town for Dragon*Con and we all went to the convention together. We started dating and have been together ever since. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is really long but I think it's a good story with a lot of chances for us to never end up together.

FI is 5 years older than me (4 years in school) and graduated from University X in 2007. I went to University A, transferred to University X for one semester, then came back to University A in 2009. Right after I came back I had to find a job and decided to apply to be a server for the first time. It was at a brand-new restaurant opening and was a completely random place I drove past. I ended up getting this job which FI was the GM at. FI had actually worked at the same restaurant in a different location since graduating college in 2007 and they transferred him to the location where we met.

So..basically if I wouldn't have switched schools I wouldn't have needed a new job, and if FI didn't switch restaurants we wouldn't have met. Also, if you didn't notice, FI graduated from the school I originally transferred from.

To add a little more "chance" to the pot..FI was "forbidden" by his regional manager (who worked at the location with us for the first year it was open) to talk to/hang out with/and especially date anyone he worked with. Even though FI followed this rule, he and I started some flirting while at work.

Every morning FI or the other manager had to open the store alone with one server. The night before I was supposed to come in at 5am to open I heard that we were supposed to get a huge snow storm. I didn't have any of the managers phone numbers in my new phone so I went on facebook, searched for FI (who was the only one young enough to have a facebook at the time) and asked him if he knew who I opened with that morning. He responded with:

"Hey jordan, it's so weird that this is you. I was going to actually write to you earlier because I thought of you and wanted to you something, but I don't have your digits..I open tomorrow and I feel it's going to be struggle for me to get there as well. Sorry its so late but my number is XXX-XXX-XXXX feel free to call or text me if you have trouble getting there either"

YES, I am a loser and have that on my facebook messages still. But I completely LOL'd at the digits when he sent it to me. Also, please picture your manager who you flirt with at work but is completely off limits and never seemed like he would break the no dating rule sending that to you.

So basically the next morning he text me on his way to work and said "are you okay? call me if you get stuck or need help" .....which on top of the first message clued me in that he definitely like me as well. After that we started texting innocently and finally he broke the rule and asked me on date. Apparently we both constantly talked about each other to our friends before we ever knew the feelings were mutual.

We started to date and had to hide it from EVERYONE except for our closest friends and family for fear of FI losing his salaried position. It was fun sneaking around but very stressful. Finally I quit because his boss was catching on and we waited a while to "come out"...haha.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    sgarlesssgarless member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We met online. I swore to myself that I would never date anyone younger than me (even by a day). Yeah.....selfish I know. (he's 6 years younger)

My boyfriend spent many months on the dating website finding nothing, where I was only one for a week and got tons of replies. Until a very faithful day, he decided to give up but was going to scan one last page of profiles for "good measure". He came across mine and instantly was drawn to it. He IMed me and prayed for an answer. I happened to be online doing homework and saw the messege. I IMed him back saying "hi what's up?" and we started talking about horror movies for some reason. He asked me for my phone number that very same day. Nornally I would NEVER give my phone number out the first day, let alone ONLINE!

After talking on the phone for a week, I decided to play a game with him and see how long I could last without talking to him. I made it 24 hours and bragged to my friend "OMG I am a freaking genius" as my bf kept texting me and texting me.

25 hours went by and I stopped ignoring him.....

.....the universe WANTED us together

:)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    sgarlesssgarless member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I should mention, it was www.okcupid.com :)

I never been happier
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards