Rhode Island
Options

Plated Dinner vs. Appetizers & Food Stations???

My fiance and I recently booked our reception venue at North Beach Clubhouse in Narragansett. It will be a fairly casual wedding (considering the venue and being on the beach) with approximately 80-90 guests. 

We're in the process of looking at caterers and here are my top choices:
-Russell Morin
-Blackstone
-Pranzi

I know some people that will RAVE about their wedding food being awesome, but how great is the typical protein, starch, and veggie? I started thinking about doing appetizers and food stations (i.e. antipasto station, salad station, sliders, chowder/clam cakes, and other delicious little things that people might crave when they are taking advantage of the open bar). If this saves a few bucks, that's great too!

Thoughts on this? What would YOU want to eat if you were a wedding guest? Thanks ladies!

Re: Plated Dinner vs. Appetizers & Food Stations???

• Options
    Personally, I prefer a plated dinner.  I'm the kind of person who looks at a buffet or food station and wonders who sneezed on it or dropped the serving utensil into the food and fished it out with their hands.  There are also conflicting opinions on whether a buffet/food stations is actually cheaper than a plated meal.  With a plated meal, you provide a headcount and the caterer prepares food expecting that number of people.  With a buffet/stations, people can go back multiple times and possibly eat much more than if they were served plates.

I'll be using Blackstone at my wedding this fall (just under three months to go!).  We're having 5 butlered apps during cocktail hour, followed by a three course plated dinner and dessert.  We loved our tasting with Blackstone and our catering manager, Danielle, has been wonderful to work with.  So far we're having a positive experience.
  • Options
    We had Russell Morin's as our caterer and did stations.  Our wedding was more on the casual side and stations seemed to go well.  We did the gourmet sausage station, pasta station with the lobster mac n cheese and the chicken gnocchi dish, and the grill station with lamb and pork.  What I tried was great and everyone raved about the food.  (I wish I had a bigger appetite that day.)
    PP is correct, plated can be cheaper than buffet or stations, because it is an exact count vs unknown amounts.  Morin's has SO many options to choose from. I'd definitely recommend them.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for the advice! I'm getting pricing for both options, then we'll weigh out the pros and cons. I'm not too concerned about people sneezing into our food :)
  • Options
    We used Russel Morins. I wanted a more casual vibe and for my guests to mingle. We did 2 stations and 3 different small passed plates. Guest were served at the stations I think that keeps the line flowing and no one was going to sneeze in to the food. We did a mash potato bar. That was a big hit. Everyone raved about our food. Like Molly I really wish I ate more at my wedding.
  • Options
    I'm doing apps and stations as well. We like variety and did not want traditional "wedding food". We are using Dave's Marketplace which I highly recommend. Their food is amazing and much more affordable than many other caterers. Good luck!
  • Options
    We are doing 5 passed apps and then a buffet (lobster tails, steak, veggies, steamers).  We are using McGrath's Clambakes and I've been to a wedding by them before and the food was amazing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards