Chit Chat
Options

taking off the ring

Do you leave your engagement ring on all the time?  or do you take it off at night?  

I take mine off at night (after successfully picking multiple holes in my bedsheets and just finding it generally uncomfortable sometimes to sleep on it).  

But to anyone I have ever mentioned to about me taking my ring off at night, they find it completely crazy I would ever take my ring off at all.  

So, I'm mostly just curious if it's uncommon to take your ring off at night or vice versa.  

Re: taking off the ring

• Options
    I don't take mine off at night, but i do to shower, excessive dirty work, etc.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I take mine off when i shower, or cook or when I will be getting my hands dirty..sometimes if my fingers swell (excessively) because of the heat I will take it off until they go down.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I take mine off to sleep, shower, and do housework.

Ditto this.

Partially because it's set up high in the setting (and can get in the way), partially because the largest diamond is an heirloom that I want to keep an eye on ;-)

• Options
    I take mine off to garden, to cook, to clean, to do remodeling work, or to put lotion on after a bath/shower. I also have a high setting, and my hand catches on things a lot. Plus, I really want to protect the stones and the setting from wear and tear and damage and chemicals (like cleaning chemicals). Otherwise, no, I never take it off.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I got the crazy look from my supervisor and a newly engaged coworker the other day when we were discussing wearing engagement rings.  I take it off to sleep, shower, do dishes, or anything that involves getting my hands dirty. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I take mine off at night - same issue as you with blankets!  Also for showers, swimming, and washing my cat. 
  • Options
    Mine is an eternity band so I don't have the same issue as a stone that sits on top of your hand.  I explicitly asked him to not buy me a traditional setting because I didn't want to have to worry about it.   But even so I still take mine off  whenever I go to taekwondo, since I never know how much hand/punching work we'll be doing, and when I do my hair because my hair always gets snagged in all the tiny little prongs.
  • Options
    I only wear mine when I'm fully "dressed" for work or to go out. Otherwise, if I'm at home/at the gym/running errands, I don't wear it. And as soon as I walk in the house in the evenings and put on my comfy clothes, it comes off. I may be a weirdo, but as much as I love my ring, I find most jewelry really irritating to wear. 
  • Options
    I dont take mine off at all. The only time its off my finger is when I am cleaning the ring itself. I have a lifetime protection on the ring. I dont have to worry about damage or maintenance.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    I take it off to shower, clean, cook, workout. Like PP, center diamond of my ring is an heirloom, and I want to keep it safe! I have however, forgotten to put it back on before going to bed or occasionally when running to the store for that one last thing I forgot. 

FI doesn't mind what I do, as long as I don't lose it!
  • Options
    I haven't worn mine for a year because it was too cumbersome.  I'm waiting for the wedding band at this point, because it will be so much easier to wear all the time.  I probably won't wear it to do grungy work or to shower. 

• Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    I take mine off when gardening, cleaning, and swimming.  I keep it on the rest of the time.  ETA grammar
  • Options
    I only take mine off if I'm making meatballs or crab cakes. Even then I forget sometimes. Or I do take it off and then forget I took it off and totally panic when it's not there. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Mine is off pretty often.  I take it off to sleep/shower, and often when cooking if I"m cutting or handling meat.  I don't want to take the chance of getting bacteria stuck in it that I can't notice/clean and then have it get me sick later.  I also take it off if I'm suing cleaning chemicals.  

I'm also super active, so I have to take it off for cheer practice and gymnastics, and I'll usually do that too for ball games.  It just gets in the way when I'm doing sports.  Also, since I never sleep with it on, I often leave it off on weekends, since I don't put it on right away and then end up going out and forgetting it at home.  DH likes to bug me about that when he notices.  My e-ring is soldered to my band too, so if 1 is off, both are.  

• Options
    I never take it off.

• Options

I only wear mine when I'm fully "dressed" for work or to go out. Otherwise, if I'm at home/at the gym/running errands, I don't wear it. And as soon as I walk in the house in the evenings and put on my comfy clothes, it comes off. I may be a weirdo, but as much as I love my ring, I find most jewelry really irritating to wear. 

This is exactly what I do. Unless I am going out or going to work my rings stay off.

• Options
    I never take my wedding ring off, but lately I've only worn my engagement ring for nicer occasions. It's a really high setting, and my rings spin.
  • Options
    I take mine off to sleep and shower. And when I'm scrubbed in the OR (no hand or wrist jewelry allowed. period.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in this camp. 
  • Options

Cranly said:
    Do you leave your engagement ring on all the time?  or do you take it off at night?  

I take mine off at night (after successfully picking multiple holes in my bedsheets and just finding it generally uncomfortable sometimes to sleep on it).  

But to anyone I have ever mentioned to about me taking my ring off at night, they find it completely crazy I would ever take my ring off at all.  

So, I'm mostly just curious if it's uncommon to take your ring off at night or vice versa.  
    I very rarely take my rings off.  I used to take off my engagement ring when sleeping because I found it uncomfortable too, but eventually I just got used to it.
  • Options
    I take off both rings at night, to shower, to be outside, etc. I once left them on my accident and wound up with a nice big asscher cut mark on my head because I tend to place my hands by my face when I sleep!

• Options
    I only take my engagement ring off when I'm doing something messy or cleaning. Usually wear it in the shower. My center stone is pretty big and at first I was afraid it would snag on everything. But that is rarely a problem.

I love it so much I don't want to take it off.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I take off both rings at night, to shower, to be outside, etc. I once left them on my accident and wound up with a nice big asscher cut mark on my head because I tend to place my hands by my face when I sleep!
    This is why I stopped wearing mine while sleeping.  I tend to sleep on my hands too and it hurt.  I've also heard that linens (bed sheets) can be bad for the prongs of the setting, but I'm not sure how true that is 

• Options
    I always wear mine. The first week I took it off to sleep, but after leaving it home one day and worrying about where I had put it and if it was safe, that was the end of that. Also, one night it was knocked off the bed stand and I nearly had a heart attack when it wasn't there in the morning. At this point it's pretty much become where I feel more odd when it's off than when I'm sleeping with it on! I have a girlfriend who has been engaged for much longer than I am though and she takes it off to sleep--she actually has a cute little "ring hanger" that sits next to her bed where she puts it.
  • Options
    i used to take mine off before bed, but i have a cat who likes to play with shiny things, so after finding it under the bed/behind the bedside table a couple times, i've decided to just keep it on
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    I always sleep with mine, but I take it off to shower, do dishes, or swim. I'm kind of frustrated that the white gold coating is already wearing off. My e ring and wedding ring are totally different colors!
  • Options
    I'm in this camp. 
    Me too!
  • Options

I do this same very thing!  I love jewelry, but I feel "confined" so I pretty much just wear it when I am headed to work or for a night out with my FI.  I asked him if he is ok with it, he sees no problem with it.  :-)
  • Options
    I rarely take mine off. It only comes off if I'm doing hardcore cleaning or about to run the Warrior Dash! Occasionally, if I'm leaving from home, I'll take it off to go to the gym, but that's about it. It feels weird when I don't wear it. 
  • Options
    I take my rings off to shower and sometimes when I'm at the gym.  Other than that I wear them all the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards