Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Outdoor weddings: What your comfort limit?

Someone I know is going to an outdoor wedding this weekend and she was asking for help picking her wardrobe because the high temp is supposed to be 43 degrees. (low of about 20)  We're pretty determined to have our 20-30 minute ceremony outside on November 2, if at all possible, but there is absolutely  NO way we'd put our guests through that. Nope.  No way.  Nuh-uh!!  Even with our hot beverage service and available blankets our cut off is way above that.

What sayeth my etiquette lovelies?  What's your ballpark for when it's time to say enough is enough and bring it inside?

Re: Outdoor weddings: What your comfort limit?

• Options
    Wow, the 40s is way too cold to be sitting outside IMO. The entire wedding is outdoors? I'd be a Popsicle by the end of it. I'd say for a short ceremony, mid 50s is probably the lowest you'd want to.
  • Options
    Keep in mind that most of your guests will likely arrive 15-30 minutes before the ceremony. So they will be out there that length of time plus the length of your ceremony. If it's under about 60 degrees, I wouldn't want to be outside in dress clothes for any length of time.

To add an anecdote, SIL got married in mid-March a couple years ago. The day before was perfect 70 degree weather. The wedding day was in the lower 50s. It was by a lake. It was so cold. Granted, she also put her bridesmaids in little strappy short sundresses, so we were doubly miserable.
  • Options
    65-80.
  • Options
    Wow, the 40s is way too cold to be sitting outside IMO. The entire wedding is outdoors? I'd be a Popsicle by the end of it. I'd say for a short ceremony, mid 50s is probably the lowest you'd want to.
    She said the wedding is "mostly" outdoors but I can't say what that means. 

Our plan is to move ours inside if the forecasted high is 56 or lower, which is the temperature limit our cocktail hour guitarist gave us for when he has to be inside to play, period.
  • Options
    Eff that.

65-80 seems like a good range. I'd probably go up to 85 with shade, cool drinks, and fans if it wasn't too humid (which around here it would be).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'd probably say around 60-65 is the lowest I'd go. I'm not used to really cold temps being in Phoenix, AZ though. I mean, I get happy when it finally hits 85 here.

I went to a wedding once here at the end of December, ceremony and cocktail hour outside by a lake in 40 degree weather. It was miserable.
  • Options
    Keep in mind that most of your guests will likely arrive 15-30 minutes before the ceremony. So they will be out there that length of time plus the length of your ceremony. If it's under about 60 degrees, I wouldn't want to be outside in dress clothes for any length of time.
    We have the option of letting people wait inside when they arrive so they don't have to sit out.  To me 55 degrees is fine.  My brother who live in the Cayman's, on the other hand...
  • Options
    About 65 degrees to 70 degrees is my temperature limit for outdoor weddings. 

Factor in humidity, wind (my cousin held her wedding reception outdoors in the wind, and it was very unpleasant), rain potential, insects, mud, and other outdoor potential annoyances into your planning also.
  • Options
    missax said:
    Humidity would be a bigger factor for me than the actual temperature.
    Yeah we have none of that here.   Praise the lord.  I just do not do humidity.  Period.
  • Options
    I might be crazy but 40 doesn't sound too bad to me. But I'm a Utah girl (I'll even walk in a couple feet of snow if its for something really important) so that might make a difference. Wind is the only thing that would bother me and only because I'm so light that if the wind is strong enough, it can (and has) pick me up and carry me. Not very far usually, but still.
  • Options
    I think outdoor weddings are best when about 70 or above.  I'd be ok with 60s if it was just an unseasonably cool day.  If the couple specifically had it outdoors knowing it would be in the 60s (or lower!), I find it kind of inconsiderate.  I'm of the mindset if you wanted an outdoor wedding, you should've planned it for a warmer, more appropriate month.
  • Options
    What about the wedding party? What are the bridesmaids wearing? At least guests can bring proper attire.

Anniversary

• Options
    WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
    What about the wedding party? What are the bridesmaids wearing? At least guests can bring proper attire.
    We don't have a wedding party.

ETA:  We went to a party at 8500 feet two week ago and I wore shorts and a long sleeve Tshirt.  It was in the mid 50's and I was fine for the first two hours so....  Clearly I may not be that good of a judge.
  • Options
    As long as it's not longer than 30 minutes or so, I'm personally good with 60-90°.

I think a lot of it depends on your crowd. If you have a lot of southerners they might be better with heat than northerners and visa versa. Age is also something to take into consideration. And @missax mentioned this but high humidity can make 80° feel miserable
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    55 is much too cold to be sitting around outside in wedding clothes.
  • Options
    WonderRed said:
    We don't have a wedding party.

ETA:  We went to a party at 8500 feet two week ago and I wore shorts and a long sleeve Tshirt.  It was in the mid 50's and I was fine for the first two hours so....  Clearly I may not be that good of a judge.
    Oh, I'm not worried about yours. I meant the wedding your friend is going to.

Anniversary

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    I have a friend who went to a friend's wedding in January, in Alberta. COLD!

The ceremony was outside, but was only 15 mins, and guests wore their jackets. Then everyone returned to inside for the reception (same location for both) and were received with hot beverages.

My friend said it was very reasonable. 

FI and I were given the option to have our wedding outdoors, as the venue has a covered veranda, but we declined since I would like to have a bit of a longer ceremony (30 mins- compared to the average 15-20 mins I'm told) and I KNOW some family members would complain. 
  • Options
    I think the 50s is too cold to be outside for prolonged periods in wedding clothes.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I was MOH for an outdoor Oct wedding last year.  It was 6C (42F) and I froze.  The ceremony was short, but stayed out for photos after.  Cocktail hour was outdoors and then we did more photos.  All guests wore their winter coats.  I was in a strapless dress and shawl.  Granted, I got to pick the dress, but where are you going to find a longer sleeve dress in the summer??  So glad I had that shawl.  I was hypothermic by the end of 2ish hours.  10 min in the car with a heated seat and heat on full blast (it goes to 32C - 90F) before I stopped shivering.  People looked cold, but not crazy uncomfortable. 

• Options
    This really depends on where you are.  I would stand it to much colder (being from Alaska) than someone from Florida.

I know someone who had an outdoor wedding and it was about 35* out.  The guests did wear coats and jackets but the bride and groom wore just their wedding clothes - no coats.  she had a long-sleeved gown and he had a regular dress shirt and pants.
  • Options
    It also depends on where the guests are from and their temperature (in)tolerance. It depends where the wedding is, and it depends on humidity. And maybe even wind.

When I lived in California, I had a friend from Wisconsin and a friend from Florida. In the winter, my friend from Florida would be freezing. I've never seen my friend from Wisconsin wear anything but a T-Shirt and shorts. 
  • Options
    melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited October 2013
    WonderRed said:
    Someone I know is going to an outdoor wedding this weekend and she was asking for help picking her wardrobe because the high temp is supposed to be 43 degrees. (low of about 20)  We're pretty determined to have our 20-30 minute ceremony outside on November 2, if at all possible, but there is absolutely  NO way we'd put our guests through that. Nope.  No way.  Nuh-uh!!  Even with our hot beverage service and available blankets our cut off is way above that.

What sayeth my etiquette lovelies?  What's your ballpark for when it's time to say enough is enough and bring it inside?
    I guess it depends on if they're OOT or live there. 42 degrees I'd still sit outside and enjoy it a lot. My cousin had his wedding outside in 95 degree weather... I much rather have the 42 degrees. Any day.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    As most people have hit it is a regional preference.  I personally would go with mid 50's as a cut off for a 30 minute ceremony...but warmer if you plan on doing anything else outside.  Of course if there is any winds I would up the min temperature as well.
  • Options
    ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
    I think I got engaged outside when it was in the 40s. My fiance wanted to play tennis and got me to tagalong with him. I was bundled up with a winter jacket and uggs and pretty darn cold by the end of it. If I had been wearing a dress, I would have been miserable. 

So I'd probably agree with 50s. 

I went to a wedding this summer in the middle of day, it was mid 90s, super humid, and the sun was blaring down on us. I was outside for less than an hour (the ceremony wasn't that long, but we got there early) and sweated through my dress and got really sunburned on my shoulders.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I had an outdoor wedding in August 2012.  Temperatures here can be anywhere from 70 to 100 degrees that time of year.  I had tents at both the ceremony and the reception sites, partly in case of rain, partly in case of strong sun.  I also had on reserve both heating and cooling units.

If you are going to have an outdoor wedding, you need to be prepared.  From my experience, I will say planning an outdoor wedding involved more work [and cost!] than an indoor event.  You have to plan for every contingency.  And, depending on your vendors, pay for things you might never use.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

i'd rather be cold than hot.  cold can be corrected with attire.  hot can't be corrected as easily.

went to a wedding in Charleston in June a few years ago...it was over 100 degrees, and humid, and the ceremony was outdoors, no shade, at 4pm.  Fortunately, everything was at a resort and we were staying on-site, because FI and i had to run back to our room between the ceremony and reception - FI changed his entire outfit (his suit was completely soaked through), and i held my silk dress (bad decision) over the A/C unit until it dried.  This was only a 15 minute ceremony, and it was the hottest i've ever been.  that includes my weekly hot yoga classes.

the reception was indoors, but the A/C broke about halfway through.  they had to cut the cake early because the buttercream was melting.  but by the time the sun went down, we all had SUCH a blast...still one of the funnest weddings i've ever been to.

• Options
    About 60 degrees would be my limit. I wouldn't like having to sit outside in more than a light jacket.
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to attend an outdoor wedding at anything less than 80 degrees and I definitely wouldn't attend one if it were below 70 degrees.  However, I live in the Phoenix, AZ area, so my temperature preferences skew higher than the norm. (My ideal temperature for outdoors is 90-95).
  • Options
    ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
    I wouldn't want to attend an outdoor wedding at anything less than 80 degrees and I definitely wouldn't attend one if it were below 70 degrees.  However, I live in the Phoenix, AZ area, so my temperature preferences skew higher than the norm. (My ideal temperature for outdoors is 90-95).
    I was at a wedding in Phoenix last weekend and the day of the wedding was 105, which was pretty rough. But the next two days it was mid-90s and was beautiful! Mid-90s here in New England is just miserable with the humidity.

Her cocktail hour was outside though and that was pretty hot, but at least it was at 5:30 and not earlier
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards